Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Takoluka posted:

what warriors games are you playing

OK I'm basically just going off of Hyrule Warriors. There's the ingredients, hearts, weapons, fairies, costumes, etc. that you're constantly collecting, and that's mainly why I play it.

I get that the structure of the game is different, but I keep hearing a lot about collecting drops to make gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK I'm basically just going off of Hyrule Warriors. There's the ingredients, hearts, weapons, fairies, costumes, etc. that you're constantly collecting, and that's mainly why I play it.

I get that the structure of the game is different, but I keep hearing a lot about collecting drops to make gear.

Basically each monster hunt you'll get monster parts, either by carving it off the monster's corpse or capturing the monster and getting them as rewards. You may also get some additional quest rewards (probably extra monster parts). Those are what you use to forge weapons and armor.

Then on each map there are a million little collection points where you'll hold 'A' to crouch and scrounge up different resources. If you do it on a plant, you'll get different herbs that are useful for crafting. Do it on a pile of bones and you'll get different monster bones. Etc.

There's lots of collecting, but again you really only HAVE to do as much as you want. There are exceptions though, as sometimes you'll really need certain resources to take on a particular monster. Unless you have some saved up, you may need to go out and collect some first, or you might be able to buy them instead.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Collecting drops to make gear is one of the biggest parts, definitely, especially if you want it to be. Also all 12 weapons playing differently and within that all the styles playing differently with the same weapon gives it a LOT of variety without even looking at the giant monster roster. It's a blast. I'm 60hrs in and haven't scratched the surface yet!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yes. When you kill a monster you carve it and use those parts to make weapons and armor. Generally the stats on a weapon or armor correspond to the stats of the enemy, so if you kill a fire dragon type monster you will probably end up with parts to make a fire damage weapon or fire resist armor.

Game encourages you to craft all kinds of stuff because all weapon types are viable, and being able to swap gear to exploit weaknesses of your next target is cool and good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'd say try the demo but it does a god awful job of showcasing those persistent grinding/collecting elements that I'm sure you'd love. It's more of a "check out the combat engine in this game bruv" kind of deal where you can choose one of three bosses and preset weapon/armor configs.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I'd say try the demo but it does a god awful job of showcasing those persistent grinding/collecting elements that I'm sure you'd love. It's more of a "check out the combat engine in this game bruv" kind of deal where you can choose one of three bosses and preset weapon/armor configs.

Yeah, the demo is hot garbage unless you're just looking to learn new stuff in the new monster hunter game and are already an experienced player.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think the demo bosses also have inflated hp, which doesn't help with first time impressions at all

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

MonHun community is legit one of the best when it comes to coop friendliness with randoms. If you're into preparing and executing plans during a hunt, it's the game for you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You guys have convinced me and I'm excited to say that I'm adding MH to my backlog behind BOTW, Hollow Knight, Mario + Rabbids, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon, and the rest of the Shovel Knight expansions!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You guys have convinced me and I'm excited to say that I'm adding MH to my backlog behind BOTW, Hollow Knight, Mario + Rabbids, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon, and the rest of the Shovel Knight expansions!

You’re going to love it when you get to it in 2021

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zibidibodel posted:

If it makes you feel better Guy, I watched the video.

:yeah:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
goddamnit GODDAMNIT

the new Umihara Kawase game is going to be a Metroidvania

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that good or bad?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sgerdGijF4

The new mario party honestly seems... good?

- No car
- Boards are much smaller than usual
- Stars only cost 10 coins, items only cost 5-10
- There's a good amount of items that let you steal stars/coins
- Every character has their own specific dice they can roll instead of the standard dice block, if they so choose. Shy Guy's is a 0 and then nothing but 4s, instead of the 1-6 progression of a standard block, Bowser's is Lose 3 Coins, Lose 3 coins, 1, 7, 8, 9, for instance.
- You can get characters that weren't picked as buddies via items and certain spaces, or winning certain minigames, and that lets you use their dice
- Only two stars are given away at the end

Bowser is -3coins, -3coins, 1, 8, 9, 10 actually.

And yes, new Mario Party seems very good for everyone who wanted the old formula back AKA the majority of Mario Party fans.

But honestly, the biggest + is that you can play as a Goomba! I for one welcome our new Goomba overlords.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Its good MP is returning to boards as the car thing lasted a long time despite no one really liked it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Is that good or bad?

I guess it means the Metoridvania game that completely dominates the thread for two weeks will be a cool anime game instead of a lame grimdark indie game, so good.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nothing is cooler than anime!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I don't remember the old Mario Party's but where they good for young kids, like 4-5 age? My daughter loves everything Nintendo, and board games, so I'm hoping it'll be a hit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't remember the old Mario Party's but where they good for young kids, like 4-5 age? My daughter loves everything Nintendo, and board games, so I'm hoping it'll be a hit.

I played the last 3ds one with my then 4 year old. He was fine with it when he was winning though he was not good at it because there's constant rules and mechanics changes. So it became a fun game for me of engineering his wins, which was fast not challenging than just beating the CPU.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want a Mario Party Metroidvania.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Now I want a Mario Party Metroidvania.

I didn't know this was a thing I actually kinda wanted until now.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BoyBlunder posted:

If anything it'll get her used to losing later on in life.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Just got a switch, and am loving it so far.

Are there any goon recommended SD cards for it? Or will any work just fine?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Watrick posted:

Any by a reputable maker. Just make sure you’re buying them from an actual retailer since lovely fakes are all over the place otherwise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BoyBlunder posted:

Mario party is more luck then skill based so kids won’t have any issue.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Watrick posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-Micro-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B073JYC4XM/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Meridian posted:

How is everyone enjoying Monster Hunter? On the fence about grabbing it again since I had a 3DS copy.

Same and I bounced off of it on 3DS.

It clicked with me pretty quickly and now I play it all the time. Christ it is so addictive.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

goddamnit GODDAMNIT

the new Umihara Kawase game is going to be a Metroidvania

that sounds like it could be cool with the movement mechanics

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so i got brave dungeon on a lark and it actually scratched an itch i didn't know i had, is there something like that's a bit more in-depth mechanics-wise?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess it means the Metoridvania game that completely dominates the thread for two weeks will be a cool anime game instead of a lame grimdark indie game, so good.

Will it?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Same and I bounced off of it on 3DS.

It clicked with me pretty quickly and now I play it all the time. Christ it is so addictive.

At first I was surprised to see so few people posting about MH. Then I realized that's cuz we're all too busy being glued to the drat game to make any posts about it

Glad to see other Switch thread posters have been on it since it came out. It has consumed me

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Thank you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

At first I was surprised to see so few people posting about MH. Then I realized that's cuz we're all too busy being glued to the drat game to make any posts about it

Glad to see other Switch thread posters have been on it since it came out. It has consumed me

The MH thread is very active, at least. Most of it is for World but whatevs

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah that's why I stay away. I'll play world at some point, going into a game's thread without having played it is a great way to ruin the experience with nonstop spoilers.

It's definitely 90 to 95 percent world posts over there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

They are perfectly fine but based on 5 year old me’s experience be ready for your kid shutting the system off when they lose

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

I unlocked the two star quests and decided it was time to get a cat.

Holy poo poo the cats in this game own. There are so many outfits for them!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Just chiming in to say Broforce is really good on switch - if you've ever liked a Contra game, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It plays very smoothly even with explosions everywhere. I like the mechanic of gambling an extra life on a bro you may not want or may not be ideal for the situation. Sometimes your deaths feel like bullshit because you didn't even see what happened to you, but you respawn quickly enough it really isn't a problem. Definitely worth the $15 (or $12 something if you have another devolver game).

Approximately how many levels are in the game + the DLCs?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I unlocked the two star quests and decided it was time to get a cat.

Holy poo poo the cats in this game own. There are so many outfits for them!

Man I haven't even opened up that menu yet and I'm already in three star quests. I haven't even done any prowler stuff, which I hear is pretty awesome too

This game has so much content!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

Man I haven't even opened up that menu yet and I'm already in three star quests. I haven't even done any prowler stuff, which I hear is pretty awesome too

This game has so much content!

Prowler is my go-to these days.
It's just a much more streamlined experience and allows you to amass a HUGE mountain of materials for if you ever want to go back to Hunter.

The scrap system means you always get enough mats for a full set of gear after one hunt. You might have to do two if you want to outfit your palicos.

• Locked thread