Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Widow is the most unfun thing in this video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OTOH killing widow as ana is the best feeling in the game.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I like the McCree double-doink at a decent range to humiliate Widow

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smoothly arcing a rivet into her head from long long range

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
a good zenyatta right click to her dome

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Arcing a mag of frag grenades from behind cover right into a sniper nest

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNeDgBf7xo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Caitlin posted:

a good zenyatta right click to her dome

this is the correct answer, when I pull this off on King's Row point A defense at the start it's the most satisfying thing in the game

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Berzerker posted:

this is the correct answer, when I pull this off on King's Row point A defense at the start it's the most satisfying thing in the game

Same but two icicles, one in each eye.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't get it, why Tjoborn and Bastion always on the bottom of the barrel in ranking, but in quick play and mystery hero they are the most irrigating person to face on the other team.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Because the people who play bastion and torb well are exclusively on the other team

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's because the hard counter to Torb and Bastion is "being even remotely coordinated as a team." If the enemy team have a sliver of situational awareness, the turret is going to get popped instantly or sit there useless as they go around, and Bastion will be unable to set up for more than half a second because everyone will shoot his rear end if he tries. But, uh... that's assuming a lot about a QP team.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Rirse posted:

I don't get it, why Tjoborn and Bastion always on the bottom of the barrel in ranking, but in quick play and mystery hero they are the most irrigating person to face on the other team.

Lots of reasons, but the three main ones, I think, are:
1) Any hero who can self-heal just has a massive advantage in MH;
2) The bastions, Torbs and Syms of the world are normally pretty straightforward to deal with with a normal comp because everyone kinda knows what to do. But you don't have normal comps in MH (or, usually, any coordination);
3) The overall dynamic in MH is that people are overconfident with the heroes that they like and cautious with the ones they're not so good at. Torb, Sym and Bast all punish overconfidence/overextension. e: which means you end up with a team of heroes that people aren't very confident with.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The other day in qp someone Picked My Hero Before Me :mad: so I decided the next most fun option was Bastion.

Some time after the gates opened I realized we had an Orisa and an Ana who wanted to pocket me so I spent the whole match riding the cart spamming DOO DOO DEE DOO and shooting anyone that stuck their head out.

It wasn't the greatest-feeling victory but at least I got to spam robot noises. I also walked in and out of Hanzo dragons a couple times but I didn't die. :downs:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey fellas, if anyone has a friend looking to play but can't afford the game, then here's a key they can hopefully use (there's some countries it won't redeem in, but I didn't recognize the 2-letter shorthands so I can't really say which countries they are)

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=c6Z8UqWD6TXfGG3n

e: I was told the key's been claimed, hope whoever got it will have fun :)

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 7, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Blizzard should release an Ovewratch VR game where the goal is to clean up all of the beginning spawn rooms that people destroy before each match

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nickhimself posted:

Blizzard should release an Ovewratch VR game where the goal is to clean up all of the beginning spawn rooms that people destroy before each match

have you heard of this or was that :thejoke:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246900/Viscera_Cleanup_Detail/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nickhimself posted:

Ana: This is why we get ants.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Yeah, I know this game exists. I think the idea of cleaning up the spawn room while playing as one of the OW heroes could be really entertaining

It could be presented as a losing team's task of cleaning up the game field or something

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Still absolutely destroying the arcade in Hanamura two years in and loving it

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Had a Moment of Zen today. The scene is Junkertown defense, last point with the cart halfway through the dogleg. My team is contesting on the cart and I’m coming back from respawn, and I’m about at the payloads end destination. I see the red Genji who I’ve been loving with the whole game (he got me a time or two as well) on the rotating gear thing above the tunnel, and he sees me too. I had a right click already charging but only at 1 or 2. He dashes me from the gear and blades as he does it. But wait...is that a Symmetra turret slowing him down? loving yes it is! Slowed him down just enough for me to line him up perfectly, which by then was a full right click.

Ultimate Shutdown +50

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Aw yeah, roll that beautiful Brig armor.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

exquisite tea posted:

Aw yeah, roll that beautiful Brig armor.

That's based on one of the most low-key iconic (imo) paladin sets in WoW! When they started demoing her my first thought was "wow, this is exactly what playing my paladin in OW would look like" and then when I saw that armor I felt like such a smug fanboy.

...and now I'm using Ironclad instead. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought the sun armor was going for a Dark Souls reference, but maybe my judgment is clouded because I watched this video first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fy2DpSf1zY

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd be prepared to love that armor if you could take the helmet off.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I got potg as Reinhardt yesterday when I was walking back from spawn and killed a rein mid-charge from around a corner by throwing a blind fire strike. Turns out he had pinned a support so I got "lifesaver" from it. Nothing else happened though lol, just the one kill that saved a support before the rein could confirm the pin. Lotta salty DPS in chat after that one

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I think the game tries to extrapolate averted outcomes and give you PotG points accordingly, so if that support you saved then saved a couple of nerds and possibly turned a team fight, you get partial credit for that as well. At least that was the theory the last time I paid attention.

Either way, it's not like those DPS players don't already get the vast majority of PotGs anyway. :jerkbag:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Literally the only potg I've got in comp was just pushing the cart, discording a genji, then finishing off a half health junkrat.

Even I had better plays that game, let alone everyone else.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Just got in some Overwatch stickers over for sale at the SA-Mart if anyone was interested!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868132

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

OrthoTrot posted:

Literally the only potg I've got in comp was just pushing the cart, discording a genji, then finishing off a half health junkrat.

these are my favorite PotG highlights. so much better than a mediocre double frag or whatever

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
folks, I've climbed out of high silver hell, and am back at my career high 2250, and every match is well fought with both teams trying hard and I'm so happy to try and grind to plat finally :unsmith:

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

ShriekingMarxist posted:

folks, I've climbed out of high silver hell, and am back at my career high 2250, and every match is well fought with both teams trying hard and I'm so happy to try and grind to plat finally :unsmith:

I’d like to know where this magical 2250 zone of try hards is at because by golly I’ve been here for some time (it’s basically my home SR range) but I feel like games here vary wildly round to round, much less game to game.

Like for example the other day we loving rocked it on Route 66 attack and then next round defense our guy who was duo’d with a dude and played tank on attack straight up said ok guys see ya and left during hero selection. Apparently he wanted to heal, and he also was upset at our Mei for “not doing poo poo on attack” and then slamming her on defense.

Good luck friend.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's well above silver tho so on average people will definitely be better at the game

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

No doubt and if you’re on a serious upswing maybe you’ll roll right past all of us down here who have just gotten used to playing at this SR I guess, as I know almost every time I sniff 2400 I start trickling back down to the home zone. Some of this could be because maybe I’m paying too much attention to the number and not enough about just playing but yah just my experience in that range. High silver and low gold are essentially the same, 2250-2300 is when you start seeing the occasional plat or two (either grouped or on a slide themselves) in games too.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Meanwhile, I'm trapped in the "I'm getting stomped -> I'm not having fun -> I'm not playing as much -> I'm getting super rusty -> I'm getting stomped" death spiral. I think over the last few weeks I've won about 3-4 games and lost a few dozen. In all seriousness, I should probably *be* reported for throwing even though I'm trying my hardest, because I've become just so inutterably bad at the game that a team drawing me is a huge handicap, and I know every time I load overwatch I'm going to ruin 5 strangers' fun just because I'm poo poo now. It's a terrible feeling, but I don't really want to buy a new account either, so...

I wish my friends would just play Fortnite with me instead. :smith: But because they're super dedicated to Overwatch, I feel like if I'm going to play anything with them at all, it's gotta be OW, so I feel like I need to play OW even when they're not online and playing with me.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I have absolutely 100% been there and the antidote is not just "play a different game" but "play a different game that you like, but uses a totally different part of your brain that gives your Tryhard Competitive Thirst a chance to rest and recharge." Play an RPG. Play a paradox mapgame. Play Yakuza, or XCOM or Subnautica, and if your friends are really your friends they'll understand that sometimes you just need to step away from The One Game sometimes.

There are one billion reasons I'm not a streamer, but the biggest one by far is that I just cannot binge a game like people can binge single titles.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mukaikubo posted:

I wish my friends would just play Fortnite with me instead. :smith: But because they're super dedicated to Overwatch, I feel like if I'm going to play anything with them at all, it's gotta be OW, so I feel like I need to play OW even when they're not online and playing with me.

I feel you. Replace Fortnite with Destiny and this is me. I do fine in soloqueue QP and sometimes comp, but I'm not as good as my friends so when I queue with them I face significantly better players and get stomped, and I feel like they're frustrated by playing with me. So I want to get better. My weakness is shooting, I have literally never won a 1v1 in arcade. I compensate with better ability use and good team play, but that can only get you so far on its own. The tryhard thread says play Deathmatch to get better at shooting. This thread says to play hog there. Both of these were great tips. I love Overwatch, so this shouldn't even feel like work, right?

There is no way to explain to people who are inherently decent at shooters what a miserable experience deathmatch is when you're not. Feeding isn't fun. Even when I pick Hog and succeed, the experience is not one I would call fun. It's tense in the stressful way, not the frenetic feel good way.

Lots of people talk about how when you're at the top end of the skill curve it's hard to get opponents that can teach you anything, but I think this zone exists on the bottom of the skill curve too. I really like the standard 6v6 mode and I feel like I bring a lot to the table when I play non-aim heroes like Rein and Brig. But when it comes to something like DM, people are stomping me with a brutality that there really isn't much of an opportunity to learn from. And I can't think of a less interesting experience than target practice on bots, so I'm not sure what to try next.

I think the answer is just keep powering through Deathmatch, but man is that tough to motivate myself to do when I have other game options and very little time.

Willie Tomg posted:

I have absolutely 100% been there and the antidote is not just "play a different game" but "play a different game that you like, but uses a totally different part of your brain that gives your Tryhard Competitive Thirst a chance to rest and recharge." Play an RPG. Play a paradox mapgame. Play Yakuza, or XCOM or Subnautica, and if your friends are really your friends they'll understand that sometimes you just need to step away from The One Game sometimes.

There are one billion reasons I'm not a streamer, but the biggest one by far is that I just cannot binge a game like people can binge single titles.

This is a much better answer. :buddy:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I rotate through OW/Fortnite/Dead by Daylight for one part of my brain, Binding of Isaac/Enter the Gungeon for a different part, and then usually have a third game I've rented going on at the same time (like a single-player RPG or something).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mukaikubo posted:

Meanwhile, I'm trapped in the "I'm getting stomped -> I'm not having fun -> I'm not playing as much -> I'm getting super rusty -> I'm getting stomped" death spiral. I think over the last few weeks I've won about 3-4 games and lost a few dozen. In all seriousness, I should probably *be* reported for throwing even though I'm trying my hardest, because I've become just so inutterably bad at the game that a team drawing me is a huge handicap, and I know every time I load overwatch I'm going to ruin 5 strangers' fun just because I'm poo poo now. It's a terrible feeling, but I don't really want to buy a new account either, so...

I'm in this boat right now and I'd also be interested to see what others have done in this situation. Right now I'm mostly throwing myself into mindless space exploration in Elite: Dangerous and some Rocket League, but the itch to play Overwatch hasn't really been back for a couple of weeks, and it honestly makes me kind of say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Montalvo posted:

I'm in this boat right now and I'd also be interested to see what others have done in this situation. Right now I'm mostly throwing myself into mindless space exploration in Elite: Dangerous and some Rocket League, but the itch to play Overwatch hasn't really been back for a couple of weeks, and it honestly makes me kind of say.

I don't know I've played overwatch pretty much every day since launch. It's probably more fun now than it was then. I think my brain is broken.