Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

what the gently caress

mha’s fan base isn’t the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
glad they're gettting through these fights at a fairly quick pace

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

this chart is a straight disaster and therefore incomplete

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Onmi posted:

what the gently caress

Chart on the left is a tumblr thing, as you might expect. Box on the right is that poster's original addition.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Man this really shows how much of a clusterfuck Shinso can cause by disrupting communications.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how team Deku can work around it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Feels like Mineta recognized Shinso's danger more than Deku. Deku's right that Shinso needed his team to pull through but Shinso's going to grow and get better by the next round.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
have mineta be the one who defeats shinsou

do this for me, horikoshi

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's funny that the jiang-shi guy's power has nothing to do with them. I guess he just likes the aesthetic, which is fair, everyone needs a gimmick.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mineta is very enthusiastic about her Tsuyu's poison mucus on the first page.

Also, Shinso, it's good that you realize you have a long way to go and need to work hard, but "I have to do it alone" is the wrong lesson to take away from this.

Begemot posted:

It's funny that the jiang-shi guy's power has nothing to do with them. I guess he just likes the aesthetic, which is fair, everyone needs a gimmick.

Yeah, that was surprising to me too, but it does look cool.

Edit:

Xarbala posted:

That's probably what's going to hoist him on his rematch with deku

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing really. Feels like really unsubtle foreshadowing or something.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Also, Shinso, it's good that you realize you have a long way to go and need to work hard, but "I have to do it alone" is the wrong lesson to take away from this.

That's probably what's going to hoist him on his rematch with deku

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaminari got to look pretty cool this chapter, too. Good for him

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, all three 1-A people still remaining got to be fantastic this chapter.

Also, I just noticed on a reread that Shishida actually realizes that the jiang-shi dude (I can't read his hero name) really is the one talking to him, based on the nickname they've been using for him the chapter up to then, right before he gets knocked the gently caress out because Tsuyu used him as a projectile. That was great too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Begemot posted:

actually it makes me think of that Marvel vs Capcom character (maybe they're from Darkstalkers?) who shoots knives and other weapons from her long sleeves and this dude essentially shoots little blades from his sleeves, so maybe there's some kind of allusion we're not aware of

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

actually it makes me think of that Marvel vs Capcom character (maybe they're from Darkstalkers?) who shoots knives and other weapons from her long sleeves and this dude essentially shoots little blades from his sleeves, so maybe there's some kind of allusion we're not aware of

Darkstalkers character, Hsien-Ko, for anyone wondering.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, that was surprising to me too, but it does look cool.

Edit:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing really. Feels like really unsubtle foreshadowing or something.

The odds are against him, it won't be easy, but he doesn't have to do it alone

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

The odds are only against him if he tries to solo it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

The odds are only against him if he tries to solo it.

I can totally see a scenario where he tries to solo it, and maybe even does well on his own, but still ultimately losing because the rest of his team was captured while he was busy trying to "prove" himself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tokoyami the Dark Chu2 and Ibara the Holy Chu2.

I dig it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Only Ibara's probably more deep into the Chu2 thing than Tokoyami is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Farg posted:

If only he has a team of sentient anthropomorphic rocks on his side. ;)

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
They should hang out.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing what Manga-man and Mr. Negative can do in the next match.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The beast character's hero name is Gevaudan. I love it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when you've been outsmarted by a master plan from Kaminari then you have some soul-searching to do

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
To be fair, Kaminari is a super genius pretending to be dumb because he is the traitor.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
MS also has a translation up, by the way, and while the fonts they use aren't as pretty it looks like they're actually the more accurate translation this time around, at least at some points; among other things, they don't have Kaminari saying/thinking the exact opposite of what he means and what happens on page 7.

Edit: On the other hand some of their dialog sounds worse, and there's a typo or two, so, neither one's perfect.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 7, 2018

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rhonne posted:

I can totally see a scenario where he tries to solo it, and maybe even does well on his own, but still ultimately losing because the rest of his team was captured while he was busy trying to "prove" himself.

That mechanic where the 5-person team only needs to lose 4 to lose will definitely come into play, and yeah, the story focusing on him fighting Deku only to reveal he actually lost after his team gets beat off-panel fits the arc pretty cleanly.

Also I quite like Kaminari so I'm glad to see him improve from the goofy deadweight he started as.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I really don't think it will end up being a one-on-one fight between shinsou and Deku. That would hold no suspense or drama, because all that deku needs to do is not respond, and then it's a fight between a moderately buff teenager with cool cloth thingies and literally Superboy.

It seems more likely in my eyes that shinsou will try to act alone (whether from the get-go or not), then he gets beat by Teamwork (not just fought to a standstill). Easily or not, we'll see.

If we're taking bets, I would put my money on a surprise attack by shinsou and his team gone awry, where he is able to put one or two people out of commission, and then get the tables turned on him because TEAMWORK, YAY.

Ninja edit: man I really hope all the fights get the same attention this one did.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We also haven't seen if that weird One for All dream has affected Deku's power in any way.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Deku unknowingly reaches a new level of power thanks to his dreams, resulting in his air bullet shattering Shinsou's pelvis. He will never walk again.

Shinsou the Wheelie hero rides into action!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’d love for the weird OfA thing to be something where Deku is able to call on the Quirk of a predecessor but i feel that it won’t come into play right now

Like if it just becomes random quirk selection then it’ll put Deku in a situation where he needs to explain what his Quirk actually is. I don’t think the story is quite at the point where the secret of One for All needs to be revealed

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You know, I could see Shinso trying to avoid Deku in this fight since his quirk didn't work last time and he does want to risk that happening again.

Round 5 really has a lot going for it.

Will Shinso's need to prove himself get in the way of actually winning this competition?

Will Monoma's obsession with beating Class A get ultimately help or hinder him? Will he try to copy Deku's quirk, and if he does, what will happen?

Will Deku's weird One for All dream come into play at all here?

Will Ashido get to do something cool? I hope she does. I also hope that we get a call back to how Ashido's dance lessons helped Deku out in his fight with Gentle.

And then there's the other the members of Team B. We don't know much about them, so who knows how they'll play into all of this. One of the girls has a quirk called Poltergeist, I don't know what that does, but it's probably ghost related, and Deku is full of ghosts right now. I'm half expecting her to go up to him at some point in this arc and asking if he needs an exorcism or something.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I think OfA being able to call upon multiple quirks would be a really bad story decision.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tbp posted:

I think OfA being able to call upon multiple quirks would be a really bad story decision.

it's not happening, a bunch of people just misunderstood the panel of midoriya's quirk activating in his sleep

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I still think Monoma taking Shinso's quirk and going too far using it could also be a potential plot beat.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ATP_Power posted:

I still think Monoma taking Shinso's quirk and going too far using it could also be a potential plot beat.

Monoma seems like the obvious candidate for getting bumped out of Heroics to make room for Shinso. The chip on his shoulder about 1-A is wearing kind of thin, so it leading to some sort of consequence could open up interesting possibilities.

I think Monoma's imitation power and that theory about the dark side of imitation being a theme of the story makes Monoma seem like he has a lot of villain potential. There'd be some irony if the one that pushed him over the edge was the student everyone already suspected of being a potential villain.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Well there is something about what the original said to Deku about showing him more that makes me think Deku will uncover the true power of OfA or at least a much different one than All Might discovered. The crystalline network of power thing is poorly misunderstood by All Might and there's probably a lot of singularity stuff there

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears Hiryu's hero name is 龍帷子 (Ryuukatabira)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"Never ever do this. Only villains do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think expecting Monoma to face any real consequences is about as silly as expecting Mineta to. They're both largely comic relief.

I also think it would be a bit wonky if part of the reason the story made Monoma a villain is because of his quirk, when Shinso's backstory rejected that very idea.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 7, 2018