Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

It's a 94, which is peak capacitor failure from that thread.

E: from another thread I had found on the issue. It's insane how that this bulletproof car has one Achilles heel, the ECU capacitors. Normally an ECU is the one thing you never touch when troubleshooting a car, because it either works or it doesn't. I've already got the rubycon kit coming in from digikey, and can spend an afternoon pulling the ECU and replacing them. Considering it's Arizona and my buddy is the 2nd owner (was garaged up until about two years ago), I think this may be the ticket for some of the little niggles he's been having.

drat I kinda want this now knowing that.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/1993-lexus-ls400/6686221167.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fender Anarchist posted:

I think that's typically how sainthood works, yes

Yeah, at least for Catholics, you have to be dead and they can't even formally begin the process until five years after death without a waiver from the Pope. (Pope John Paul II did so for Saint Teresa, and Pope Benedict did so for Pope John Paul II himself)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Queen Combat posted:

I found one:

Of course the anime forum is one of the oldest subforums still in existence

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

We can have multiple automotive patron saints, all representing the various aspects of AI. A patron saint of nascar, rally, movies, etc.
We should definitely have a patron saint of Kei cars. At least you can be sure they're Beatified.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I wish I was smart enough to get all of iDave’s comments... :saddowns:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Beatification, "making blessed", is the mechanism by which the Catholic Church assigns sainthood, while the Honda Beat is a well known kei car. Thus, a pun.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Have you just bought a MK II Jaguar?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Have you just bought a MK II Jaguar?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

We should definitely have a patron saint of Kei cars. At least you can be sure they're Beatified.

:golfclap:

(I got the joke before reading the explanation)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Stressed this morning, I have a customer coming in who thinks I’m a liar. I made a mistake and told him he had a 250 ssd and it had failed in his Mac (really what I thought). Got a message late last night I didn’t see saying he had a receipt from somewhere and it is a 500. So I go in early and yep it’s a 480, I pull it out and manage to revive it and now what? It was a mistake on my part not being dishonest but not sure how to handle without me
Looking like I was trying to defraud him. This sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Stressed this morning, I have a customer coming in who thinks I’m a liar. I made a mistake and told him he had a 250 ssd and it had failed in his Mac (really what I thought). Got a message late last night I didn’t see saying he had a receipt from somewhere and it is a 500. So I go in early and yep it’s a 480, I pull it out and manage to revive it and now what? It was a mistake on my part not being dishonest but not sure how to handle without me

Just tell him the truth of what happened. Be up front and honest. Apologize, maybe profusely, depending on how he seems to be taking it. It’s on him to be an adult about it or not. If he can’t handle the truth, you don’t need him as a customer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

Sorry but your busted 250 was actually a busted 480.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Aaaand... yay just accepted an offer at a new job! Has the potential to be significantly less soul-crushing, and also ends up meaning a significant bump in wage. Pretty psyched.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Aaaand... yay just accepted an offer at a new job! Has the potential to be significantly less soul-crushing, and also ends up meaning a significant bump in wage. Pretty psyched.

Awesome! Can you hint what it is?

Work chat I qualified to work OT so I signed my rear end right the hell up.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
/listening to transvision vamp and wishing I had a new jerb

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My new commute owns, 20 min driveway to desk.

Old commute had me getting up at 4 am, driving 15 min to the park and ride to get into the vanpool, 30 min drive in the van and another 10 min walk after that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Awesome! Can you hint what it is?

It's Wisco so some cheese machine engineer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

mekilljoydammit posted:

YAY for KJ! What is it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
just got back from taking 5 days off from the world. sat on my rear end, played video games, drank, slept in. didn't do poo poo and it was everything I had hoped it would be

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Congratulation, great news

Maker Of Shoes posted:

just got back from taking 5 days off from the world. sat on my rear end, played video games, drank, slept in. didn't do poo poo and it was everything I had hoped it would be
I need one of these so bad. Had planned on taking a week after I finished up a big project at work but that lead to another project and me being the only one to support some equipment so... Have a week off scheduled for late October, it's going to be glorious.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

One of those things where I don't want to get too into detail but test engineering for a company doing equipment for railway maintenance equipment. Some pretty cool stuff and I'm excited.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

"Hey, you know that hard drive you brought in that I thought was a 250, it's actually 500 and - I also fixed it" is a super weird method to commit fraud, I think you're doing it wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I start 3 weeks of holidays Sept 17. I am sooooo looking forward to them coming.

I've also purposely been on the wagon for 3 weeks because I know I'm likely to drink like a fish for those weeks.

Speaking of, going somewhere with an open bar and it's all top shelf booze. I'm wanting to try some different drinks out of my normal usual habits. Actively soliciting recommendations for cocktails/drinks in general to try.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

"Hey, you know that hard drive you brought in that I thought was a 250, it's actually 500 and - I also fixed it" is a super weird method to commit fraud, I think you're doing it wrong.

That made me laugh. But yeah it worked out, but...I didn't charge him. It was a local doctor and I just didn't want any sense of dishonesty. I don't advertise purely word of mouth. So I took the hit on this one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mekilljoydammit posted:

One of those things where I don't want to get too into detail but test engineering for a company doing equipment for railway maintenance equipment. Some pretty cool stuff and I'm excited.
Ok, cool. Don't know what it's like in the US, but here, the paperwork etc that goes along with rail seems to be close to aerospace. A friend worked with rolling stock, and his stuff on that side didn''t seem a million miles away from what I'm used to.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Boss said that he is cool with us using the skymiles we rack up with our business purchases so we booked some tickets to San Diego next month with the kids just to sneak away for 2 days as a fun surprise. I was extremely tempted to take them to Disneyland again but SD will probably end up being half the price so I am trying to be reasonable. We are not telling the kids until the time we leave so it will be a really fun surprise :woop:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

I start 3 weeks of holidays Sept 17. I am sooooo looking forward to them coming.

I've also purposely been on the wagon for 3 weeks because I know I'm likely to drink like a fish for those weeks.

Speaking of, going somewhere with an open bar and it's all top shelf booze. I'm wanting to try some different drinks out of my normal usual habits. Actively soliciting recommendations for cocktails/drinks in general to try.

anything that has exactly two spirits+something exotic, but no coke.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just work your way through their whisk(e)y shelf.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If I was going to do cocktails I'm usually an old fashioned or manhattan kind of guy, but I've been enjoying making mai tais at home recently (using good rum, and the only fruit juice should be a bit of lime). If you really want to expand your drink horizon, find some Malort. It starts off with an anise flavor, then ends with a bitter ash tray aftertaste. You can make cocktails with it too - Malort + creme de menthe = super kool; Malort + creme de cacao = chocolate blunt.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

InitialDave posted:

:emptyquote:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I had a Martinez at Serpico in Philadelphia and it was amazing. Unfortunately, however, it was better than the meal it accompanied. Also unfortunately, it's no longer on their cocktail menu, so I can't tell you what exact liquors were in it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

InitialDave posted:

If you're not a fan of whiskey straight, order an old fashioned. It's just whiskey (bourbon or rye for preference), a little sugar, bitters, and usually an orange twist.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
An Old Fashioned or a Moscow Mule are definitely my go-to when there's cocktails on offer, but if the bartender is good I'll ask for a Smoked Sazerac and watch them make it. Usually the whole bar stops when they start the process.

Watch this, well worth the 4~ minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfDZXizLmnk

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

If you're not a fan of whiskey straight, order an old fashioned. It's just whiskey (bourbon or rye for preference), a little sugar, bitters, and usually an orange twist.

Old fashioneds done without brandy? Weird. </Wisconsinite>

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best Old Fashioned I've ever had was at the Randolph in Oxford, made by a bartender who'd gone to Cuba to study bartending. It was incredible, but now every other OF I've had since has been a let-down.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
CC and bottled sours. I ain't got time for nonsense in my cocktails.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh is it cocktail video time? This Mint Julep vid is 7 minutes long and potato quality, but worth every second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I had a Martinez at Serpico in Philadelphia and it was amazing. Unfortunately, however, it was better than the meal it accompanied. Also unfortunately, it's no longer on their cocktail menu, so I can't tell you what exact liquors were in it.

Serpico is starrs test kitchen and I've never had a great meal there.

The drinks have always been on point though, they had one last I went called "old lace" and it punted me directly to memories of hot wheels and price is right in my grandma's sitting room. It was amazing.

If you want decent fried food and fantastic strong drinks, Catahoula is the best place in the city I've found. Their Vieux carre is perfect. The burnt orange wakes you up just enough to enjoy your whole glass of liquor.

slidebite posted:

Pink gin is always fun, Vieux Carre is good. Get a negroni or a rusty nail. I have an unnatural love of elder flower liquor, so if you see st Germain, get a 3:1 floral gin: st Germain, with a fuckton of ice.

Alternatively if they seem competent and have eggs, get all the fizzes you can. Delicious.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 8, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Noted. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

gently caress yes! This was my first week at the new gig. It's awesome. Still working on getting over the last place, but drat I made the right choice.

• Locked thread