Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh, that reminds me. They really have to do something about the explosives in GO.
It seems like they spawn in a fixed location? Yesterday that location was camped to hell by snipers, making it almost impossible to pick them up and carry them to the objectives.
Maybe the engineer class should spawn with them? Or each squad gets one player that has explosives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Reviving in BF1 was instantaneous.

I may have hosed up here, was it this quick in 4? That was the last time I played Medic for any decent length of time. In 1 I think I just tried it out but didn’t stick with it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Cultural Marxist posted:

I may have hosed up here, was it this quick in 4? That was the last time I played Medic for any decent length of time. In 1 I think I just tried it out but didn’t stick with it.

Revive time and amount of health restored by the revive in BF4 is variable depending upon how long you charge the paddles. 100% revive in BF4 is about on par with a revive in the BFV beta. BF1 it’s pretty much instantaneous.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

Revive time and amount of health restored by the revive in BF4 is variable depending upon how long you charge the paddles. 100% revive in BF4 is about on par with a revive in the BFV beta. BF1 it’s pretty much instantaneous.

Ah ok then, that’ll be it, I’m misremembering! Thanks.

Playing the beta again today and it is infested with snipers. Getting instakilled after running ten paces from your spawn makes it considerably less fun.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
After about three hours I like it over all. Gun play feels good, and the game looks good. Maps are mixed. Rotterdam is good, but Narvik feels like another map designed for a linear ops mode that doesn’t play well in conquest.

I do not like this attrition system. I like being able to get a mag from a downed enemy. That helps in tight spots and presents a risk/reward situation, but having resupply points on the map seems to lessen the roll of the support class. Also you start with far too few rounds. I really don’t like the health system. I see what they are going for but it just felt like I was getting a lot of cheap one hit kills that I wouldn’t have gotten if the other guy had been at full health.

Technically there was a lot of beta jank. Good idea on Dice’s part to push back the release. Especially deaths seemed to always be instant vs what I thought was a decent TTK, even with being under full health a lot of the time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How long does the beta run for? I wont get back to my PC til next weekend, and trying this is imperative as its how I decided on 3 and 4 and against hardline (remember hardline? no) and 1

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

codo27 posted:

How long does the beta run for? I wont get back to my PC til next weekend, and trying this is imperative as its how I decided on 3 and 4 and against hardline (remember hardline? no) and 1

Till 9/11.

I played the beta for about 3 hours last night. It pretty much felt like a continuation of BF1 to me, right on down to all the voice acting. Two improvements I really liked tho: looking around while prone doesn’t awkwardly move your whole body, instead you roll onto your back which is cool. I also like the limited ammo of the tanks.

I do NOT like the limited ammo for the planes though.

Maps were cool, both Narvik and Rotterdam.

Still not gonna get it at release though. With it feeling like BF1:Part 2, I’m gonna be too busy with other games in the meantime. Maybe for Xmas or sometime after new year, unless they reveal some more cool and actually original modes and/or maps.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It feels nothing like BF1 :psyduck:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

codo27 posted:

Thats a good question, specially considering they have delayed the release.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The thing that annoys me the most is how little AT ammo Assault gets. You can't even damage a tank for half its health before you're completely out. Maybe it'll be better when you can put another AT gadget in the grenade rifle slot, but right now Assaults feel piss-poor for what is supposed to be their main job.

Panzerfaust feels like throwing a bag of wet socks at a tank. I've hit tanks from each angle and its 20 damage X 2 shots then off to find another ammo cache as the tank levels the building I shot from.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah, dynamite is the much better AT option unless you want to coordinate 3 players to be hitting it at the same time with panzerfausts

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yeah, dynamite is the much better AT option unless you want to coordinate 3 players to be hitting it at the same time with panzerfausts

No it's not. It does the same damage (20) but you have to be point blank. I've snuck up and dropped 3 sticks on the engine/rear of a tank and it drove away like I'd scratched its paint. I think what surprises me most is that right now it doesn't seem like there is any bonus damage for flanking a tank and hitting it in the rear?

I don't think it's bad that the free Panzerfaust that anyone can spawn with can't dunk tanks with ease, especially because it's just generally super useful for blowing up reinforcements from safety, but there should be a reward for getting around the back of a tank.

The first few hours of the beta on Rotterdam were a loving nightmare before anyone had Panzerfausts. Tanks rolled around with impunity and the only real counter was the other tanks.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 7, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

That sounds wrong and bad. Lets hope the relase have weak points cor armour.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What's cool about the upgrade system is your guns get objectively better as you play the game, so that new or casual players have a baked in disadvantage when they decide they want to play

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 7, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
DICE has been doing this since at least Battlefront the First (third). Star cards in both games screw over new players to varying degrees (worse in the sequel). You could try to say that in Battlefield 1 there was no such equivalent, but try to tell me with a straight face that, for example, the Hellriegel isn't better than every single Assault gun available at rank 1.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

The red X and Ting on a kill are definitely in the game though? and you can customise what colours your reticle goes to whatever you like iirc. From what I've seen, the ridiculous ammo counts are an experiment and they've said they are going to up it significantly on release. I guess they want support to be more than the class that gives you a box to camp next to for more explosives.

Awesome. That would make a huge improvement for me, then. So far I get a wall of white text and it looks like a light yellow marker for a kill. I'll have to change it and give it another go later on.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Chomp8645 posted:

DICE has been doing this since at least Battlefront the First (third). Star cards in both games screw over new players to varying degrees (worse in the sequel). You could try to say that in Battlefield 1 there was no such equivalent, but try to tell me with a straight face that, for example, the Hellriegel isn't better than every single Assault gun available at rank 1.

The shotguns and the automatico are ;)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What BFV really needs is a shotgun with explosive slugs, I think.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Fart Car '97 posted:

No it's not. It does the same damage (20) but you have to be point blank. I've snuck up and dropped 3 sticks on the engine/rear of a tank and it drove away like I'd scratched its paint. I think what surprises me most is that right now it doesn't seem like there is any bonus damage for flanking a tank and hitting it in the rear?

You sure they only do 20? I seem to recall hitting tanks for 40, though I could be wrong about that.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
Model 10-A Hunter and Hellreigel are probably the most controller-throwing rage inducing weapons I've come across in a multiplayer FPS.

On the subject of AT Assault class in Battlefield, at least in BF1, a semi competent assault could harass and distract a tank with a solid amount of damage and get it to at least move on or pursue you. You could draw attention and let others flood the capture point. Here it just seems like they park in a spot knowing you cant do poo poo while they fire round after round down the street. It feels like even focusing on them is a waste of time. Deal 40 damage best case scenario, retreat to restock, then come back to do it again to a fully healed tank. Wash, rinse, repeat until you die. I'm not asking for OP one/two hit kills where I teabag the flaming wreckage of the tank and it's passengers after but I hope they dial up the damage a little for explosives. Also, I'll hold off complete judgement until I see the full list of gadgets/damage points for the full game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I got a direct hit with the rifle grenade and it did 14 damage. Later, I shot someone with 11 bullets from one of the tank's secondary machinegun and did like 45 damage. Am I just spoiled by only playing BF1/4 on hardcore and so I'm not used to this TTK/numbers? Or are they basically like BB guns? They feel like bb guns

ed: but somehow I also get murked instantly and sometimes kill people in like one shot. also, the levelling weapons seems really dangerous - the first weapon you use will be better than anything else for awhile, then it keeps getting better, thus creating inertia where your other weapons aren't worth using and everyone is going to be like pinpoint accurate in a month or two, because weapon control and hip fire seem to go up dramatically when you level it

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 7, 2018

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
The stationary AT guns seem to require 4-5 hits for a tank kill. That is way too many hits against players who have any clue. Tank busting in all fronts definitely needs a boost.

I like the slower gameplay a lot. Makes Conquest bit less deathball zerg, because fights can take a while. Playing Minecraft as Support is fun, although no idea if it's actually that usedul in the end. Support also has the awesome sniper shotgun, which feels like a great replacement for short-range scout gameplay.

The game has potential, but I trust in :dice: to change all the things I liked. And buff airplanes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What is the comically physics-defying object towed by Crocodile (squad call-in tank) and how the hell do you let it go?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Huge tank whore myself and even I think the anti tank options are underwhelming.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Chomp8645 posted:

What is the comically physics-defying object towed by Crocodile (squad call-in tank) and how the hell do you let it go?

It’s the fuel tank for the flamethrower.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

the seeming removal of melee/bayonet charges sucks, especially considering WW2 they still were putting bayonets on pretty much loving everything

I hope the Type 99 has a bayonet option.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

the seeming removal of melee/bayonet charges sucks, especially considering WW2 they still were putting bayonets on pretty much loving everything

Scout rifles still have a bayonet, it’s just locked behind an upgrade

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Game has not clicked for me. I think the respawn mechanic leads to me feeling that the game is chaotic. I don't like looking over-the-shoulder of my squad mate. My feeling that this deprives me of situational awareness seems counter-intuitive because I can actually see the battlefield before I spawn in, but I think the top-down map view is superior in this regard.

I hate the bleed-out mechanic. I want to get back in the game. I don't want to sit there loving bleeding.

I feel like I get shot in the rear end a lot. It's a new map to me and so I don't know the angles and such, but goddamn - Rotterdamn has a loving shitload of angles. I can appreciate that being a realistic portrayal of a city. But at the same time I have been completely unable to get a sense of "this is my territory" and "I'm gonna go attack their territory".

So. Maybe will give it another go but BF1 is just a lot more attractive right now.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Dipes posted:

I hate the bleed-out mechanic. I want to get back in the game. I don't want to sit there loving bleeding.

Seriously, if you want to die it should be a 1 second timer not however long it takes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dipes posted:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Seriously, if you want to die it should be a 1 second timer not however long it takes.

Battlefield 5: I want to die.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Takes ten seconds to bleed out then you have to wait another 7 to respawn, definitely too long.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Weren’t they specifically trying to slow the pace of the game down? I imagine adding time to respawn is a part of that.

People can’t wait 20 whole seconds? Try not to die so frequently I guess.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Captain Beans posted:

Weren’t they specifically trying to slow the pace of the game down? I imagine adding time to respawn is a part of that.

People can’t wait 20 whole seconds? Try not to die so frequently I guess.

But you can't regen health to full

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have any problems where the game won't let you spawn with a certain weapon? I unlocked the second medic weapon but I keep getting the "spawn point isn't available any more" error when I try to spawn with it in my loadout.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

Anyone have any problems where the game won't let you spawn with a certain weapon? I unlocked the second medic weapon but I keep getting the "spawn point isn't available any more" error when I try to spawn with it in my loadout.

I think spawn stuff is just buggy in general. I've gotten a number of nonsense messages, like saying "the person you were trying to spawn on was killed" when I wasn't even trying to spawn.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Good job, DICE.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Don't let your children play with your guns.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Good job, DICE.

omg :dice:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Took me longer than I care to admit to notice it but :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007