Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Angrymog posted:

It just made the relationship between them boring.

That only makes it more realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Been binge watching Killing Eve recently, as it's fantastic. Written by the woman who did Fleabag and adapted from some books I'd never heard of, and it's about an MI5 agent trying to catch a sociopathic female assassin across lots of great looking European destinations.

Plus, it has the guy from the Thin Blue Line in it who I took ages to place without his mustache.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Angrymog posted:

It lost me after episode two when they started shagging

And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-eee-iiiiiiiiiiii

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what BBC tv thriller I remember really enjoying? Paul Abbott's State of Play with John Simm and David Morrissey plus Kelly Macdonald, Bill Nighy, James McAvoy, Marc Warren, one of the Glenisters and others in supporting roles.

I remember for years afterwards Abbott would talk about how he was writing another series and the dvd always said "VOL. 1" on the spine, but it's been more than 10 years now and there's been nothing.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Speaking of Paul Abbott, No Offence is back next week.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what BBC tv thriller I remember really enjoying? Paul Abbott's State of Play with John Simm and David Morrissey plus Kelly Macdonald, Bill Nighy, James McAvoy, Marc Warren, one of the Glenisters and others in supporting roles.

I remember for years afterwards Abbott would talk about how he was writing another series and the dvd always said "VOL. 1" on the spine, but it's been more than 10 years now and there's been nothing.

It's comes together surprisingly well given that Abbott admitted that he wrote the first episode, threw a load of stuff in it and had no idea what to do next.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also on the subject of Paul Abbott, I was planning on going through some of the big crime dramas from the 90s - I'm going to do Cracker and Prime Suspect (though I'm not sure which I'll watch first) - is Touching Evil worth a pop?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Alex Horne's AMA on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/9curb8/i_am_the_taskmasters_assistant_and_creator_of_tm/?sort=confidence

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

State of Play is really great. I got it on DVD and I might have to watch it again now.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

State of Play is indeed amazing. I threw on the DVD a few months ago and my flatmates who hadn't seen it all drifted in at various points during the first episode and were hooked. We ended up blasting through the whole lot in one go.

Though I had a moment of realisation at how old it is with all the characters smoking like chimneys in caffs and pubs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I appreciate about it is that it isn't some conspiracy that's targeting the highest echelons of government; David Morrissey's character is a backbencher who chairs the energy select committee and has been tipped to get a junior cabinet post in the next reshuffle. It makes it feel a lot more credible. (I couldn't even guess who the chair of the energy select committee was in 2004 or whenever this came out.)

I wonder what a second series would've been like. Would it have followed the trial of Collins or would it have been a completely new investigation?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There was that scene with the newspaper owner telling Bill Nighy to shut the story down who was probably being leaned on by the 'bigger picture'. That felt a bit like unfinished business. Maybe a story about how the corrupt and powerful (a tautology if ever there was one) bend the media to their own agenda?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I was surprised that the bodyguard showed the main lady is a Tory. I expected a skirting around it like they do in the Thick of It.
I can't sympathise with her at all so I stopped watching.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New series of Taskmaster is off to a very good start. James Acaster: "Are we the stupidest lot yet?"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that's today? Thanks for that I forgot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

New series of Taskmaster is off to a very good start. James Acaster: "Are we the stupidest lot yet?"

Is it already On Demand? I don't have access to live TV so that's good news for me!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah apparently On Demand gets everything but the series finale one week early.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Does that mean Dave's On Demand ad revenue is higher than broadcast? I would have thought it would make more sense to keep the premiere for transmission, seeing as it's their highest rated show. Ah, the wonderful world of advertising placement.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Apparently I was mistaken. Everything but the premiere and the finale is a week early On Demand, which is why there's two episodes out now there :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ibblebibble posted:

I agree. It's kicked off straight in to the great studio rapport that the previous cohort struggled with. Rod and Wang alone look like making the series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah those first two episodes were great.

I hope Phil Wang keeps doing his haggling joke, it makes me laugh every time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Possible next Iannucci project:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/09/06/armando-iannucci-jokey-film-pitch-and-suddenly-took-life/

Don't know how serious he is but I like to imagine a studio exec scrabbling to contact his agent on reading the first tweet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d definitely watch that. Wasn’t huge on his last, but definitely a case of that being my fault not his. Loved the concept tho.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

BizarroAzrael posted:

Possible next Iannucci project:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/09/06/armando-iannucci-jokey-film-pitch-and-suddenly-took-life/

Don't know how serious he is but I like to imagine a studio exec scrabbling to contact his agent on reading the first tweet.

The #replaceTrumpWithAPenguin was also gold

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there many (or any) dedicated live music programmes going other than Jools Holland? I remember when I was younger, I would switch on the TV around 10 or 11 pm and there'd often be live music on. I very distinctly remember seeing Young Knives playing "Terra Firma" that way.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Do them in parallel, Trump in the fake Whitehouse, the penguin that replaced him (voiced by Julia Louis-Dreyfus) in the real one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's a shame he's morphing into an angry centrist like Eddie Marsan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
New Taskmaster is fantastic. I think this might be the best lineup yet. The weakest link is Jessica and she's still all right and everyone else is really great. James riding a bike had me in tears.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I always root for the older lady on Taskmaster. Or the older man, really. Don't know why, but it makes me really happy when they win, and I'm not even old myself. This time everyone is under 50, so I'm a bit miffed about that. Otherwise, a great lineup.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Rarity posted:

New Taskmaster is fantastic. I think this might be the best lineup yet. The weakest link is Jessica and she's still all right and everyone else is really great. James riding a bike had me in tears.

Jessica is A+ entertaining. Good RHLSTP with her I saw live.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Definitely spotted myself in the audience of Taskmaster episode 2. poo poo.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So Press is good. Silly and fun and compelling. Much better than Bodyguard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I'd watch Cracker again (was going to watch Prime Suspect but I fired up the first episode, saw it was three and a half hours long and decided, "Nope, not right now, maybe later!"). I'm watching the first episode, which is from 1993 or 1994. It's interesting because since the last time I saw anything of Cracker I've had a year and a half where I was going to Manchester every other weekend, so I'm now noticing things I recognise, but just slightly different. I suppose this is from before the city centre got blown up, though.

Of course there are actors I recognise now, Adrian Dunbar and Christopher Eccleston most prominently.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Perfect Element posted:

I’m really enjoying Bodyguard.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course there are actors I recognise now, Adrian Dunbar and Christopher Eccleston most prominently.

The Robert Carlisle one is bloody good too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

It was extremely weird seeing the guy that does the voice of Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles in there. His voice sounds just the same!

And I liked how absolutely loving evil the one from the faux tabloid was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That first TASKMASTER episode was great, and the cast was immediately more appealing than the previous season. I don't think I even ended up finishing that one.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

New taskmaster might be the best yet

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gemma Collins and Monty Panesar on Masterchef was absolutely insane.
She's an idiot, but a REALLY confident one. So she just straight up goes "I have no idea what egg yolk is" and you have to deal with that.
And he's sort of like a child. He still lives with his parents and talks about them a lot. And he's ...drifting (I guess) about letting things happen. Asking questions like "how do I make breadcrumbs" when he has a gigantic lump of bread in his hands and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Celebrity Masterchef is great in that neither of the words in the title applies to the contestants.