Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-97tjfkYM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

I'm really enjoying Persona 5, but I've been checking a couple of guides for what I should do day-to-day and I'm worried that I'm behind where I should be. How strict is the game about maxing out your social links and your 5 stats (guts, knowledge, etc) before the end of the game? I don't wanna miss any cool story bits, I'm really liking the characters a lot.

I wasn't able to max out Guts in one playthrough and i'm not real sure it's possible. If it is it'd be tight. I didn't max Proficiency either but I think I could have if I cared. IMO don't stress it, just enjoy the game and you can go back for another playthrough to see stuff you missed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

quote:

A group of young Erusian officers have taken over Megalith, the superweapon that was under development. Megalith is a rocket launch facility that can shoot down asteroid fragments in orbit. The only way to destroy this highly dangerous and fortified facility is to hit it from the inside. Follow the missile port grooves to find the three generators deep within the facility. Destroy the generators to access the central heat vent. Once inside, destroy the giant missile in the central silo. An infiltration unit will secure your escape route. Their plan calls for waiting until the generators are offline, and then taking over the sub control room once the blackout hits. Enter this rat's nest with full confidence that the unit will get you out again. It's highly likely that this will be your final mission. Remember, we need heroes after the war too. Make it back in one piece. Dismissed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESA_b48dH2M

quote:

Good morning troops. I have an important announcement. In one hour, each one of you will take part in the most important mission in our history - a mission that will result in the defeat of the vile enemy who has brought chaos to our continent. Although we are from different nations and of different races, we have fought, suffered and died together, fighting for what we believe in - fighting for freedom. Today, we shall gather for our final battle, to liberate our beautiful continent and restore freedom to our people, our friends, and our families. Our victory will herald the beginning of a new era of prosperity for the Usean continent. Victory will be ours! We shall return peace to our people, and win back our freedom, and our future! The skies belong to everyone! Now, let us take back our shattered skies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WH3HgnqRBA

code:
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future.
     The sheltering wings of the protector...

AWACS posted:

<< SkyEye here.
All Mobius aircraft report in. >>

FRIEND posted:

<< Mobius 2 on standby. >>

FRIEND posted:

<< Mobius 3 through 7 on standby. >>

FRIEND posted:

<< Mobius 8 on standby. >>

AWACS posted:

<< Preparations are complete, ready
    for battle. All aircraft follow
           Mobius 1! >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ6ABV_Q9qU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who likes space sims mainly for the space dogfighting i’d probably like the ace combat series but as a console series i’ll never know

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

as someone who likes space sims mainly for the space dogfighting i’d probably like the ace combat series but as a console series i’ll never know
you can emulate almost all of em, and AC7 will be coming out on PC

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’m far too old and moldbrained to figure out how to emulate things these days. last title i successfully emulated was kirby for the original wii

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ps1 is one of the easier systems to emulate if you're not so insane that you're using epsxe instead of a modern emulator

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there’s playstation emulators besides epsxe? i remember when this was all meadows, far as the eye could see

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

there’s playstation emulators besides epsxe? i remember when this was all meadows, far as the eye could see

epsxe has been the worst one for like five years

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also more seriously i love me a retro game and all but deep diving to play playstation 1 games when i have 80,000 unplayed steam games would leave me more disgusted with myself than usual

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

ok i told you the last time i emulated something was for the original wii and that was definitely more than 5 years ago

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

The last time it was the best one was even longer ago than that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No emulator that expects you to gently caress with plugins can be called "good" though sometimes there is no good emulator for a console

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCvOji1g2x4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

No emulator that expects you to gently caress with plugins can be called "good" though sometimes there is no good emulator for a console

a fault the playstation, nintendo ds, and wii emulators i used all had. i think.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://vgy.me/WdWy7b.webm

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

plugins are good because sometimes you can just replace one part of it to improve your experience, but the epsxe approach that's just like duhhh you have to download the Good Graphics Plugin and a plugin to make the gamepad not suck rear end is Bad. at least dolphin comes with everything you need

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Nfk_CNcq0

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

a fault the playstation, nintendo ds, and wii emulators i used all had. i think.

desmume and dolphin don't use plugins

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn’t use desmume because it didn’t work on my computer at the time but i’ll be damned if i could remember what it was

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

desmeme

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never had to mess around with plugins in epsxe beyond setting up the controller and tweaking graphics. Libretro is what all the kids use now I guess but fuuuuck if I want to mess with modules or whatever that platform has.

Like if a game isn't compatible with epsxe in a rare instance I'll switch to Bizhawk.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

I've never had to mess around with plugins in epsxe beyond setting up the controller and tweaking graphics. Libretro is what all the kids use now I guess but fuuuuck if I want to mess with modules or whatever that platform has.

Like if a game isn't compatible with epsxe in a rare instance I'll switch to Bizhawk.

retroarch is literally just downloading the core, which is just. the emulator. if you don't wanna use it you can just use mednafen cause the emu in retroarch is just a branch of that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the playstation emulator I used last time I did this was pSX but it's been a long time

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not counting me replaying symphony of the night a few years back which was done with the epsxe i had already set up the last time i hosed around with it could legitimately be around 2008-2009 so there’s a 10 year anniversary coming up. still remains nearly the only way i’ve played any playstation 1 games at all though including tomba and symphony of the night so it was worth it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mednafen/beetle psx is overall the most compatible psx emu i've used and basically the only games i've hit any kind of issue with is the jumping flash games so i don't really see any reason to mess with any other psx emus

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

retroarch is literally just downloading the core, which is just. the emulator. if you don't wanna use it you can just use mednafen cause the emu in retroarch is just a branch of that

I don't like the xbar PSP menu that's a pain to navigate and for the same reason people don't like messing with plugins I don't want to take 10 minutes to set it up.

Overall Bizhawk is the best PS1 emulator and was designed specifically for speedrunners in mind. It's the PS1 equivalent to BSNES or whatever he's calling that thing now.

e: Looks like Bizhawk is based off Mednafen. Yeah, just use whatever works for you because there's no lack of choice now like there was 10 years ago.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i said nearly because the playstation 1 in the house growing up was bought by my sister with her saved-up allowance so it was up to her discretion when i got to play it, which hastily became “never” when she was going through the 100 floor chrysler building dungeon in parasite eve while i was jumping around on the couch and then i did a wicked backflip off of and rolled the landing onto the disc tray open button ruining her run at like floor 90.

i share this anecdote with you, the something awful forums, because i literally just remembered it for the first time in 20 years and it’s funny as hell

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Was the PS1 OK

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was the PS1 OK
only if you flip it upside down

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was the PS1 OK

not only was it ok the game kept running even though the lid opened (which i now understand was because the data was already loaded but whatever) so i closed it thinking that would fix it and while she could run around the game had basically lost her place and wouldn’t respond to any triggers. from what i remember anyway like i said it was 20 years ago

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress, sweet flip dude

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So besides epsxe which emulator runs the best with as little loving around with settings as possible if I wanted to record poo poo for youtube

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

had i landed that backflip differently maybe i would’ve finished final fantasy seven and loved jrpgs to this day, but probably not because man i just do not like jrpgs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

mednafen is cool but you gotta fiddle with third party gui software. i'm glad it runs games so accurately pretty much out of the box though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

So besides epsxe which emulator runs the best with as little loving around with settings as possible if I wanted to record poo poo for youtube

I would say Bizhawk which I guess is a version of mednafen designed to run out of the box and intended for TAS so it's fast and accurate. Just grab some BIOS and drag/drop in your file.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

I would say Bizhawk which I guess is a version of mednafen designed to run out of the box and intended for TAS so it's fast and accurate. Just grab some BIOS and drag/drop in your file.

I'll check it out. I just know I can emulate most PS2 games with pcsx2 even on my garbage old backup GPU but when I tried to run Chrono Cross on epsxe a few weeks ago it ran like utter rear end which makes no loving sense.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

last time I tried to do psx emulation I was recommended and used an emulator called "psx" and it worked fine out of the box. terrible name though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't like the xbar PSP menu that's a pain to navigate and for the same reason people don't like messing with plugins I don't want to take 10 minutes to set it up.

Overall Bizhawk is the best PS1 emulator and was designed specifically for speedrunners in mind. It's the PS1 equivalent to BSNES or whatever he's calling that thing now.

e: Looks like Bizhawk is based off Mednafen. Yeah, just use whatever works for you because there's no lack of choice now like there was 10 years ago.

Why's it so hard to come up with a good name for an emulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nesticle

• Locked thread