Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

muscles like this! posted:

Don't ask me, ask THQ Nordic The company that isn't actually THQ, they just bought the rights to all their games and the name and started calling themselves that.

Also, I know this isn't the generally accepted opinion but my least favorite is definitely 2. I just think it plays way too clunky and I really dislike the characters and the story. Also the Boss is probably the worst in it where they act like a straight up psychopath way too often.

That is why it’s amazing though. Also the character creator and clothing options are the best. It has the best atmosphere and the best emergent ridiculous mayhem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
2 is my fave, and that's not just nostalgia. I played it fairly recently on PC with the unofficial patch to fix performance issues, but not any graphical updates or mods.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From the gameplay, 3 beats out the others for me. 2 was great in its day but hasn't aged well, 4 is perfectly good, but I'm a big fan of 3's increased speed, animations, awesome button, and how it's still a bit grounded yet does eventually give you crazy poo poo like the hoverbikes.

In terms of writing and structure I'd say it goes 2-4-3.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

So many good one liners across the series. That first mission where you hijack the the F69 VTOL in SR3, " Oh, it's like a helicopter hosed a jet!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My Lovely Horse posted:

From the gameplay, 3 beats out the others for me. 2 was great in its day but hasn't aged well, 4 is perfectly good, but I'm a big fan of 3's increased speed, animations, awesome button, and how it's still a bit grounded yet does eventually give you crazy poo poo like the hoverbikes.

In terms of writing and structure I'd say it goes 2-4-3.

4 is a really solid game and it improves over 3's basic mechanics in really subtle, neat ways. Especially the driving and motorbikes. But the problem is entirely the setting and super power stuff. Super powers make all those changes and improvements redundant after like half an hour of play. Meanwhile the setting replaces the cool gangs and the entire police force with one single antagonist; the aliens. And the aliens loving suck. They're annoying to deal with and then after you fight them for a few minutes, a boss shows up and stops the chaos. 4 has a lot of really good ideas and stuff, but in the end I prefer 3 because 3 just has more to actually do beyond just "another super power challenge" and "kill these guys with your super powers".

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I also really liked agents of mayhem, it's just a shame how the marketing was mismanaged to hell on it.

I don't have Yakuza 6 but I saw this on twitter

https://twitter.com/moriyoshijon/status/1037917347703545857

TL:DR: Centuries old poem stone monuments in Japan got english translations thanks to Yakuza 6

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
[b]Grand Theft Auto: Vice City:[b] Tommy is a much more vibrant and expressive protagonist than the unnamed hero of 3. It dosen't feel like the story missions are as arbitrary, as he brings up that he wants the money and drugs he owes to his higher-ups often. Also Lance is a great love interest, who is supportive and appreciates your work

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm playing Dishonored 2 after getting it on sale a while back, doing a high chaos Corvo run for my first time through it. Although it isn't the same voice actor, Corvo's high chaos monologue makes it like playing a supernatural, 19th century Max Payne.

I had to look up the game's IMDB page to learn Corvo isn't played by Max Payne's VA, which led me to find that Jessamine Kaldwin's voice actress also does the VA for Wendy and Sharon on South Park, so now I'll never be able to unhear that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Corvo's VA did Garrett from the original Thief trilogy.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

This is just a random screenshot I took, but Deep Rock Galactic is really fun and has a lot of charm. Everyone cheering 'NO DWARF LEFT BEHIND' as the drop pod drills several km underground at several hundred km/h is a really energetic way to start a mission, and even funnier when only 1 or 2 of you make it back but still have the same chant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Marvel's Spider-Man

Boy am I glad they let you use whatever suit you want and attach skills to them as you like. Really not a fan of the new costume but I do like the classic one a lot.

Also very refreshing to just knock people off buildings after that being impossible in all of the Arkham Batman games.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

I had to look up the game's IMDB page to learn Corvo isn't played by Max Payne's VA, which led me to find that Jessamine Kaldwin's voice actress also does the VA for Wendy and Sharon on South Park, so now I'll never be able to unhear that.

I recently found out Piero's VA shows up to play a character in Babylon 5 for a single episode.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well I suppose when someone dies, they're not a "dwarf" in the strictest sense and are instead a corpse, so you can tell yourself no dwarf was left behind even if you lost your whole team.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're referring to Dwarf in the singular; the Dwarf that is not to be left behind is you, yourself. If you're dead, you can't chant it! It all works out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man, the dynamic score in Spider-Man is excellent.

Also it's got an amazing photo mode.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Necrothatcher posted:

Also it's got an amazing photo mode.

Definitely part of the fantasy not to gently caress this part up. I don't have time in my life right now for a new game, but drat I'm excited to play this one this winter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Given the current situation with game preservation, or lack thereof, I've tweeted the Chief Executive of the Arts Council of England hoping to at least get an idea how he feels about the subject. I figured I may as well try, the worst that can happen is he ignores me:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherOLe2/status/1038141446145105920

I'm trying not to launch into the debate of game=art because that has gone in circles for decades. Taking a different approach. I figure since the argument has been raging for years on the art debate, it's fruitless to approach it in that direction. After all, ancient greece had steam power but had no idea what to do with it so it just remained toys for a long time. However it's still interesting to know that they had them. Similarly, even if videogames do reach a dead end as they are currently, they may be foundational to a different artform/technology later on.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If nothing else video games are a cultural artifact. We don't get excited over cave paintings and roman graffiti because of the quality...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

Given the current situation with game preservation, or lack thereof, I've tweeted the Chief Executive of the Arts Council of England hoping to at least get an idea how he feels about the subject. I figured I may as well try, the worst that can happen is he ignores me:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherOLe2/status/1038141446145105920

I'm trying not to launch into the debate of game=art because that has gone in circles for decades. Taking a different approach. I figure since the argument has been raging for years on the art debate, it's fruitless to approach it in that direction. After all, ancient greece had steam power but had no idea what to do with it so it just remained toys for a long time. However it's still interesting to know that they had them. Similarly, even if videogames do reach a dead end as they are currently, they may be foundational to a different artform/technology later on.

This is really cool. The videogames-art debate is only made dumb by people making arguments in bad faith. Preservation is important for more reasons than the immediately obvious ones. You're a treasure and I wish they'd preserve you also.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Babe Magnet posted:

You're referring to Dwarf in the singular; the Dwarf that is not to be left behind is you, yourself. If you're dead, you can't chant it! It all works out.

You have selected "No dwarf left behind", referring to everyone. That is incorrect. The correct answer is, "No, Dwarf left behind"!

SAFE WORK ENVIRONMENT?
NO, DWARF LEFT BEHIND!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You know how the Batman Arkham games list thugs as "unconsious" in Detective Mode, even when you know you basically murdered them? The new Spider-Man has no problem with you flinging thugs off rooftops, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't acknowledge that you did either.

Also one of the collectibles is backpacks, over 50 of them. How much money did Peter Parker waste buying all those backpacks?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

You know how the Batman Arkham games list thugs as "unconsious" in Detective Mode, even when you know you basically murdered them? The new Spider-Man has no problem with you flinging thugs off rooftops, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't acknowledge that you did either.

Also one of the collectibles is backpacks, over 50 of them. How much money did Peter Parker waste buying all those backpacks?

Food $150
Web Fluid $200
Spandex patches $75
Backpacks $2,700
Rent $600
Avengers please help me budget my superhero lifestyle I am dying

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Necrothatcher posted:

Food $150
Web Fluid $200
Spandex patches $75
Backpacks $2,700
Rent $600
Avengers please help me budget my superhero lifestyle I am dying

Buy fewer backpacks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lmao $600 rent in NY

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Buy fewer backpacks

No.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Kingpins and the The Lizards will look up and shout "buy fewer backpacks" and I'll whisper "no."

Edit: Spider-Man can high five people.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Sep 8, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There's a 'Manual Save' option on the pause menu in Spider-Man. Be still my beating heart.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spidey has his own twitter.

Edit: And he can take selfies

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Sep 8, 2018

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kinda hosed up he couldn’t get @realSpiderMan

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hey spider man, you facist gently caress, why don't you leave dealers alone? Does a little weed smoke offend your white bread spider-sensibilities that bad?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Edit: Spider-Man can high five people.

I wanted to see if I could punch random civilians but instead he just waves and says hi. Now if only I could drop the button-specific reflexes of four Arkham games.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Does a little weed smoke offend your white bread spider-sensibilities that bad?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Aw, Caffeine doesn't just make a spider create a huge wall of web? Disappointing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Spider-Man gonna also go gently caress up some baristas, by the looks of it.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

How much money did Peter Parker waste buying all those backpacks?

So, current favourite little thing in Spider-Man is actually exactly this.

In one of the backpacks you find a Science Trophy. Peter mentions that part of the prize was a lifetime supply... of backpacks

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Debunk This! posted:

I recently found out Piero's VA shows up to play a character in Babylon 5 for a single episode.

Piero's VA is Chucky, Wormtongue, and Doc Cochran

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codenameFANGIO posted:

Kinda hosed up he couldn’t get @realSpiderMan

Clearly it should've been @SpiderHyphenMan :colbert:.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

4 is a really solid game and it improves over 3's basic mechanics in really subtle, neat ways. Especially the driving and motorbikes. But the problem is entirely the setting and super power stuff. Super powers make all those changes and improvements redundant after like half an hour of play. Meanwhile the setting replaces the cool gangs and the entire police force with one single antagonist; the aliens. And the aliens loving suck. They're annoying to deal with and then after you fight them for a few minutes, a boss shows up and stops the chaos. 4 has a lot of really good ideas and stuff, but in the end I prefer 3 because 3 just has more to actually do beyond just "another super power challenge" and "kill these guys with your super powers".

Yeah there's painfully little depth to 4's combat. That said, 3 also suffers from weapon balance being a mess. I will admit to liking Gat Out of Hell simply because the combat is more enjoyable because it switches up the superpowers to be slightly less overpowered and adds actual enemy variety so you have more stuff to do than just press the fireball button and call it a day. (The flying is also super fun and more unique than the copy and pasted Prototype mobility stuff.)

Lord Lambeth posted:

I also really liked agents of mayhem, it's just a shame how the marketing was mismanaged to hell on it.

AoM is frustrating because it has so much potential but it didn't come anywhere close to fulfilling it. That said, AoM is another instance where enemy variety + fun, more balanced weapons made for a good time. I really hope they can knock it out of the park with AoM2.

Inco posted:

Piero's VA is Chucky, Wormtongue, and Doc Cochran

And the bad guy in Myst 3. Brad Dourif rules.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah there's painfully little depth to 4's combat. That said, 3 also suffers from weapon balance being a mess. I will admit to liking Gat Out of Hell simply because the combat is more enjoyable because it switches up the superpowers to be slightly less overpowered and adds actual enemy variety so you have more stuff to do than just press the fireball button and call it a day. (The flying is also super fun and more unique than the copy and pasted Prototype mobility stuff.)

3's weapon balance is a super mess. But at least it's a mess in the sense that you can just pick whatever weapon you want and win the game while having fun. In 4 there's no real reason to ever use guns because of super powers. 4 is basically just "Well I could play the game. Or I could just use super powers." The entire time, which is frustrating. I really wish someone had been crazy enough to like, port 3's content to 4 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The old Spiderman 2 game was the first time I remember actually being impressed by how many fun details there were in a game. Bruce Campbell giving little facts about Spiderman(and New York- "if you have to ask if you're in Central Park, you aren't in Central Park"), pizza delivery missions, the Mysterio missions where he gets more pathetic each time culminating in him robbing a convenience store in costume and he gives an evil villain speech as his health bar fills up 10 times and then you knock him out with one punch... man that was a gaming Experience