Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ugh, I'm trying to find a picture I saw. It was 3 british officers walking along discussing something, I think one of them was Montgomery, and one of them looked like he was over 6'4". He towered over the other two officers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Muir_Barber

6'9 actually lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wouldn’t have lasted a day as an officer in the musket years

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

in awe at the size of this lad. absolute unit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How did he compare to Patton?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fangz posted:

How did he compare to Patton?

19cm taller.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Ozowa in the IJN was also around 6'7, which must have been loving weird for his staff.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ilmucche posted:

Where was this?

The Siege of Namur, 1692

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GUNS posted:

The Baltic was dominated by Swedish shipping so the Swedish forts in the area could be resupplied. The area Gallas's army was in was very poorly supplied and it was pretty far north anyway, and long distance military transport was in its infancy. (I think.) Gallas knew he had to get somewhere else for the winter or his army was going to die, but the Emperor didn't want an army in the Hereditary Lands Of The House Of Austria, and if he tried to winter in the territory of Imperial allies that would have caused an incident.

And Mecklenburg and Pomerania were among the worst places to be in general, on account of a bunch Swedes eating up all the crops there for several consequtive years. I think they're among the most depopulated areas in the 30YW.

Englund makes the point that the forts were manned by half-starved skeleton crews who hadn't seen supply runs for a long time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Englund makes the point that the forts were manned by half-starved skeleton crews who hadn't seen supply runs for a long time.
gallas still couldn't take them tho

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kemper Boyd posted:

And Mecklenburg and Pomerania were among the worst places to be in general, on account of a bunch Swedes eating up all the crops there for several consequtive years. I think they're among the most depopulated areas in the 30YW.

To give an idea, I remember reading in a book (I think it was Iron Kingdom, not sure at the moment) about how the depopulation was bad enough that it hosed with cultural memory of earlier periods. Whatever book it was pointed specifically to some old early medieval ruins that, post 30YW, people started just refering to as "the Swedish ruins" because there was no surviving memory of WTF they were and people just assumed they dated from the recent conflict.

fake edit: yanked Iron kingdom on a hunch and yep, p. 36

Christopher Clark posted:

In some areas the shock was sufficient to sever even the thread of collective memory. It has been observed of Germany as a whole that the 'Great War' of 1618 - 1648 obliterated the folk memory of earlier conflicts, so that medieval, ancient or prehistoric walls and earthworks lost their earlier names and came to be known as 'Swedish ramparts." In some areas, it seems that the war broke the chain of personal recollection that was essential to the authority and continuity of village-based customary law - no one was left of an age to remember how things were 'before the Swedes came.' Perhaps this is one of the reasons for the paucity of folk traditions in the Mark Brandenburg. In the 1840s, when the craze for collecting and publishing myths and other folklore was at its height, enthusiasts inspired by the brothers Grimm found lean pickings in the Mark.

real edit: I'm pretty sure Geary also mentions something like this in Before France and Germany when he talks about the challenges in reconstructing Carolingian-era history of what would become Germany, but that's packed right now so I can't swear to that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i attended a fascinating talk on the military history of landscape that pointed out that the Mark was so hosed that the canals were overgrown and the fields had reverted to useless ground. It is still underpopulated.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HEY GUNS posted:

i attended a fascinating talk on the military history of landscape that pointed out that the Mark was so hosed that the canals were overgrown and the fields had reverted to useless ground. It is still underpopulated.

The Mark?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Mark Brandenburg - the strip of territory in North Germany that made up the territory of the Elector of Brandenburg. It's the core territory that eventually spins out into Prussia

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

Where did all those Prussian armies come from in the 18th century? Surely not Prussia itself?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Where did all those Prussian armies come from in the 18th century? Surely not Prussia itself?

Prussia ca. Frederick the Great is bigger than just Brandenburg. You have Pomerania, Silesia, some scattered territory in the west (don't know if they were drawing soldiers from there), plus the duchy of Prussia itself which roughly corresponded to post-WW1 east Prussia.

I don't know if they were recruiting foreigners in large numbers (probably - lots of people did at that time, hell Frederick himself was fond of his tall men from all over Europe so it's not like they had some philosophical objection) but Prussia ca. 1740 was significantly larger than the areas that got hosed the most severely a hundred years prior.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know if they were recruiting foreigners in large numbers (probably - lots of people did at that time, hell Frederick himself was fond of his tall men from all over Europe so it's not like they had some philosophical objection) but Prussia ca. 1740 was significantly larger than the areas that got hosed the most severely a hundred years prior.

they were. you can apply for authorization from the Emperor to recruit in political entities that aren't yours so there were plenty of Germans of all kinds in the Prussian army

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Ozowa in the IJN was also around 6'7, which must have been loving weird for his staff.
or for him on a boat

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Prussia ca. Frederick the Great is bigger than just Brandenburg. You have Pomerania, Silesia, some scattered territory in the west (don't know if they were drawing soldiers from there), plus the duchy of Prussia itself which roughly corresponded to post-WW1 east Prussia.

It was just his dad that collected tall men, I think Frederick II was more into the delicate intellectual type.

HEY GUNS posted:

or for him on a boat

*bonk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ChubbyChecker posted:

I've understood that prior to Industrial age the soldiers had to pay for their own food. So wouldn't it have been profitable for some merchants to haul food and drink for the besieging armies, or would they just have been robbed?

First of all, lol if you think these guys are getting paid on the reg.

Napoleonics:

British Peninsular Army- soldiers had money for food stopped from their pay. They were fed, nominally, by the Army. Wellington was a stickler about logistics and generally the peninsular army was tolerably well fed. There was also a brisk private enterprise, dudes called sutlers, who were traveling merchants that sold stuff to the army. If you wanted to supplement your army issued poo poo, you went here if you wanted to stay 100% legal. Otherwise you nabbed poo poo off of the locals at the risk of punishment by provosts-marshal. There was a lot of liberating of food and it mostly went unpunished. Of course if your army rations didn't show up on time, units would improvise and usually steal or buy food from the locals.

France - armies were expected to live in large part off the land when on campaign. A similar system of merchants existed following French Napoleonic armies. French armies were not paid regularly even by contemporary standards. On campaign. food was gathered and distributed somewhat centrally, with units, especially dragoons and light cav, detailed to search for forage, food, and sources of water. Units also improvised and scrounged on their own to improve their individual situations. Napoleonic France was kind of a criminal enterprise from bottom to top, which is interesting - the Code Napoleon was really quite progressive and reformed a lot of the feudal laws of France, but when push came to shove the Army and requisitioned people, food, materiel, and loot from both French and foreigner alike in much the same way that earlier French armies operated, with the addition of the very painful and hated levee en masse.

edit: to answer your question: yes, that happened regularly, and yes, it was wildly profitable, but not without risk of some low key thievery or worse, losing all your poo poo in a lost battle, or even worse, getting killed on a route. sutlers were under the protection of the provost-marshal and could appeal to the marshal for redress if a soldier stole from them. not sure about france.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Currently listening to the History of Rome podcast, and they will regularly talk about armies camping out in enemy territory for the entire winter while waiting to resume hostilities. How did this work? This seems like a long rear end time to be in the middle of enemy territory. Did they just wander around looting to sustain themselves? Specifically, it seems pretty hard to do if you're just staying in one spot. In practice could they send out looting parties far enough to get food?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a_good_username posted:

Currently listening to the History of Rome podcast, and they will regularly talk about armies camping out in enemy territory for the entire winter while waiting to resume hostilities. How did this work? This seems like a long rear end time to be in the middle of enemy territory. Did they just wander around looting to sustain themselves? Specifically, it seems pretty hard to do if you're just staying in one spot. In practice could they send out looting parties far enough to get food?

They just commandeer a town.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Romans were famous for their ability to set up a fort basically everywhere they went, although I'm not sure what they did in areas without forests though.

It may be "enemy territory" but the locals probably won't be able to crack open a Roman fort easily. If they were the type of people to be able to effectively assault a fort, they'd probably have local forts/cities/whatever that the Romans probably would've led with taking one as a foothold (if they didn't already just have local allies, which is how they often got into those wars to begin with).

I'd be really interested if any studies have been done to project how many people various territories would've been able to sustain via foraging, assuming there wasn't local cultivation to take advantage of, but generally places without human cultivation aren't worth fighting over in the first place.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
"Suddenly, infrastructure and field works" is probably my favorite Roman meme.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Which is why Finland is Romes true successor.

Doctrinal requirement for all units to be able to set up a sauna in 30 minutes or less? :getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finland, 8th Rome

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

First of all, lol if you think these guys are getting paid on the reg.

Napoleonics:

British Peninsular Army- soldiers had money for food stopped from their pay. They were fed, nominally, by the Army. Wellington was a stickler about logistics and generally the peninsular army was tolerably well fed. There was also a brisk private enterprise, dudes called sutlers, who were traveling merchants that sold stuff to the army. If you wanted to supplement your army issued poo poo, you went here if you wanted to stay 100% legal. Otherwise you nabbed poo poo off of the locals at the risk of punishment by provosts-marshal. There was a lot of liberating of food and it mostly went unpunished. Of course if your army rations didn't show up on time, units would improvise and usually steal or buy food from the locals.

France - armies were expected to live in large part off the land when on campaign. A similar system of merchants existed following French Napoleonic armies. French armies were not paid regularly even by contemporary standards. On campaign. food was gathered and distributed somewhat centrally, with units, especially dragoons and light cav, detailed to search for forage, food, and sources of water. Units also improvised and scrounged on their own to improve their individual situations. Napoleonic France was kind of a criminal enterprise from bottom to top, which is interesting - the Code Napoleon was really quite progressive and reformed a lot of the feudal laws of France, but when push came to shove the Army and requisitioned people, food, materiel, and loot from both French and foreigner alike in much the same way that earlier French armies operated, with the addition of the very painful and hated levee en masse.

edit: to answer your question: yes, that happened regularly, and yes, it was wildly profitable, but not without risk of some low key thievery or worse, losing all your poo poo in a lost battle, or even worse, getting killed on a route. sutlers were under the protection of the provost-marshal and could appeal to the marshal for redress if a soldier stole from them. not sure about france.

Thanks! And yeah, I know that payment wasn't regular. An interesting thing about buying your own food, was that in the Royal Navy this led to a large proportion of the Crown supplied food being left uneaten, and the ancient horse meat barrels sailing around the world for cruise after cruise.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You wouldn't happen to know about the Russian practices, would you?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Acorn soup and black bread. And lots of it. Poor bastards.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ChubbyChecker posted:

Thanks! And yeah, I know that payment wasn't regular. An interesting thing about buying your own food, was that in the Royal Navy this led to a large proportion of the Crown supplied food being left uneaten, and the ancient horse meat barrels sailing around the world for cruise after cruise.

Heh, british food, am I right lads

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cessna posted:

You wouldn't happen to know about the Russian practices, would you?

Not offhand. I have a book on Barclay de Tolly, might be something in there... let me get back to you. At least in the retreat to Moscow the Russians had more supplies than they knew what to do with because they were withdrawing and destroying crops, food, and fodder as they went.

Not sure how it worked when the Russians were operating, say, in Germany before Leipzig or the like. I will try to find out!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

To give an idea, I remember reading in a book (I think it was Iron Kingdom, not sure at the moment) about how the depopulation was bad enough that it hosed with cultural memory of earlier periods. Whatever book it was pointed specifically to some old early medieval ruins that, post 30YW, people started just refering to as "the Swedish ruins" because there was no surviving memory of WTF they were and people just assumed they dated from the recent conflict.

fake edit: yanked Iron kingdom on a hunch and yep, p. 36

real edit: I'm pretty sure Geary also mentions something like this in Before France and Germany when he talks about the challenges in reconstructing Carolingian-era history of what would become Germany, but that's packed right now so I can't swear to that.

These kinds of problems pop up a lot in oral history. For example when Livy was trying to make sense of Rome's early wars with its Italian neighbors he found the stories had become mixed up with the more recent events of the Social Wars, and struggled to disentangle what had actually happened vs. what his contemporaries were just projecting back from their own experiences onto the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_War

quote:

There is a general resemblance between the rhetoric of the speeches Livy has written for L. Annius and the complaints and demands made by Rome's Italian allies in the years before the Social War.[31] Several of the writers Livy is known to have used for Roman history during the 4th century lived through the Social War, and it would have been natural for them to see parallels between the Latin War and contemporary events.[32] Like the Roman senate rejected an embassy from the Italian insurgents in 90 BC, so the Latin embassy of 340 BC is also rejected.[33] Later, in his account of the Second Punic War, Livy mentions that some of his sources claimed that the Capuans, after the Battle of Cannae, had similarly sent an embassy and demanded to receive an equal share in the government of the Roman Republic. He, however, rejected this as a duplication of the demands made by the Latins at the outbreak of the Latin War. Modern historians do not believe that the Latins made any demand for a consul and half the senate in 340. It is possible that Capua really did so in 216, but most likely Livy was correct to consider this a duplicate of accounts of the Latin War.[34] Instead, they have proposed that historically these were political demands made by the Italians at the outbreak of the Social War.[35] However, no ancient attestations of such demands exist today.[36] By the early 1st century BC, Rome had risen to become the dominant power in the Mediterranean and Roman citizenship was a highly desired favour. However, such sentiments are considered anachronistic for the 4th century. In 340, Rome was still only a local power in Latium, but whose aggressiveness and recent expansion into Campania was an increasing threat to the independence of the smaller Latin communities who risked becoming entirely surrounded by Roman territory.[37] Rather than being caused by the Roman refusal to share their government with the other Latins, the Latin War was a final bid by the Latins to preserve their own independence.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Inevitably, his nickname in the British Army was "Tiny".

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Here's the strength report for the end of August -

Casualties this month - 17 officers and 356 men. That's 42.5% and 38% of strength respectively. Probably closer to 50% of "trench strength" - those who did the attacking.

13th KRRC War Diary, 1st/2nd September 1918 posted:

The Battalion is still in camp in LOGEAST WOOD. Salvaging and Training being carried on.
All Companies were practised in the "Battalion in the Attack".

13th KRRC War Diary, 3rd September 1918 posted:

Warning order was received during the morning that the Division would relieve the 5th Division in the line probably that night. At 4-50 p.m. definite orders were received. At 5-20 p.m. the Battalion moved from LOGEAST WOOD and marched to Eastern outskirts of FAVREUIL where camp was made.

13th KRRC War Diary, 4th September 1918 posted:

The Battalion is now at 0.5 hour's notice to move and is in Divisional Reserve. News has been received today that the 112th Brigade in the front line are in touch with the enemy and are fighting their way through the northern portion of HAVRINCOURT WOOD. The 63rd Brigade is in Divisional Support and we remain in Divisional Reserve

13th KRRC War Diary, 5th September 1918 posted:

The Battalion which has been on an hour's notice to move, during the night resumes the usual state of readiness at 7 a.m. The conditions were slightly relaxed during the day, and training was carried on under Company arrangements from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and from 4 p.m. to 5-30 p.m. The morning was given up to musketry, box respirator drill and physical training, the evening was devoted to practise of attack formations by platoons and companies.
The Battalion specialists - signallers, scouts and Lewis Gunners - carried on under their own instructors. In the afternoon notice was received that we were on an hours notice from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Throughout the day salvage parties were at work in the area lying between FAVREUIL and BAPAUME on both sides of the BAPAUME-ARRAS Road and large quantities of material - arms, ammunition and equipment of all kinds - both our own and German - were collected for return to the Divsional Salvage Dump. A marquee staffed by Y.M.C.A. personnel attached to the Division was put up near the camp. This was much appreciated by the men.

13th KRRC War Diary, 6th September 1918 posted:

Today was very much like yesterday in respect of hours of work and the state of readiness to move.
The program of work differs in some respects. In the morning Companies carried out tactical exercises in the vicinity of the camp - basing these on the recent experiences of the Battalion in offensive operations. Physical training and small box respirator drill were carried out in the evening. Salvage operations were carried out as for yesterday.

13th KRRC War Diary, 7/8th September 1918 posted:

The account of today's work is practically a repetition of yesterdays and there is nothing new to chronicle. A feature of the period was the lack of news of any kind even of the situation on our front. - we are in fact experiencing what has been called the "fog of war" and except for the most indefinite and unsatisfactory rumours are entirely ignorant of anything that is taking place.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not milhist but not ancient either and some early modernists read this so I'll stick it here:

Jesus loving christ, Spain, AGAIN?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It is amusing that my 1918 SMLE bayonet and my current razor blades were made by the same company. Wilkinson

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not milhist but not ancient either and some early modernists read this so I'll stick it here:

I know what the BBC was trying to say here but I read it differently:

quote:

A set of 15th Century sculptures have been garishly repainted by a Spanish parishioner in the latest botched amateur restoration attempt to attract derision in the country.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chillbro Baggins posted:

It is amusing that my 1918 SMLE bayonet and my current razor blades were made by the same company. Wilkinson

I've got a WW1 German "butcher blade" style bayo and a set of kitchen knives both made by Henckels. The German bayo has the same little dude clutching a spear logo near the tang as the kitchen knives.

edit: my bad, it's the two dudes doing the "walk like an egyptian" dance logo and the steak knives, not the kitchen knives

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 8, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

here, phone pics

It's a long bayo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Shame there wasn't a Greco-Roman statue around, this might not have been so far off the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

here, phone pics

It's a long bayo

Good thing it's not saw-toothed, we would have to shoot you for having it.