Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHO9_uTOhI

Nice to see its now being taken seriously, fair play to the guys in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Struggling to see the relevance?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHO9_uTOhI

Nice to see its now being taken seriously, fair play to the guys in the car.

willie was the ridealong fun? Was it ok that you were swearing in front of the cops?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm looking to get back into BJJ (well, submission wrestling, since I vastly prefer no-gi) now that I'm not having to juggle a more-than full time job and a thesis. I have an issue I didn't have last time I grappled. I now wear Freestyle libre sensors (well, one at a time) which monitors my blood sugar (type 1 diabetic). The sensors are small plastic circles of a bit over an inch (3.5cm) in diameter that protrudes from the skin by... Oh, I dunno, a millimetre or two. I wear them on the side of my upper arm.

They're not something I can take off and put back on after a session, as each one is disposable and lasts 14 days. Each is quite expensive, and I can't afford to lose two or three a week just to train. The adhesive they come with is quite strong, but I am under no illusions they would survive grappling.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could get to protect it? The thing that leaps to mind is a large quantity of very strong tape, but I suspect if the tape adheres strongly enough that when I take it off it will rip the sensor away with it.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Neurosis posted:

I'm looking to get back into BJJ (well, submission wrestling, since I vastly prefer no-gi) now that I'm not having to juggle a more-than full time job and a thesis. I have an issue I didn't have last time I grappled. I now wear Freestyle libre sensors (well, one at a time) which monitors my blood sugar (type 1 diabetic). The sensors are small plastic circles of a bit over an inch (3.5cm) in diameter that protrudes from the skin by... Oh, I dunno, a millimetre or two. I wear them on the side of my upper arm.

They're not something I can take off and put back on after a session, as each one is disposable and lasts 14 days. Each is quite expensive, and I can't afford to lose two or three a week just to train. The adhesive they come with is quite strong, but I am under no illusions they would survive grappling.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could get to protect it? The thing that leaps to mind is a large quantity of very strong tape, but I suspect if the tape adheres strongly enough that when I take it off it will rip the sensor away with it.

Hm, do you think some sort of ace bandage fabric used for compression--the stuff that sticks to itself but isn't adhesive--would work?

e: "self-adhering elastic bandage"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
normal bandage over it then strapping tape over that, even just a pad over the sensor would be fine

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Cyber Dog posted:

Hm, do you think some sort of ace bandage fabric used for compression--the stuff that sticks to itself but isn't adhesive--would work?

e: "self-adhering elastic bandage"

This, it's the only thing that I've used that can keep sticking to me with sweat.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
My friend Neurosis, I use a Libre sensor and just wrap it with an ace bandage like others have mentioned. The filament is so tiny and supple that having the sensor banged up on wont cause issues (check with your endocrinologist just to make sure) so you just want to make sure it doesn’t get torn off and the ace wrap will do it

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Also I am actually pretty sure that a naked Libre sensor would survive, that adhesive is really strong, but like you id rather not take the chance

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I got golfers elbow and have been sidelined for about 2 months now. I'm swimming to get some type of work out in but I'm going stir crazy because boxing is the only thing that gets me excited to go to the gym. How do you all deal with injury lay off?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

I got golfers elbow and have been sidelined for about 2 months now. I'm swimming to get some type of work out in but I'm going stir crazy because boxing is the only thing that gets me excited to go to the gym. How do you all deal with injury lay off?

I find another physical activity to keep me busy or I watch a ton of videos. That or I binge eat/drink.

Have you looked into a cortisone or PRP shot for your elbow?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KidDynamite posted:

I just do stuff at the gym that I can do (walking on the treadmill).

Or I plan a project for my house (like new shrubs in the front yard).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I literally go to the gym and sit and watch class.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

JaySB posted:

I find another physical activity to keep me busy or I watch a ton of videos. That or I binge eat/drink.

Have you looked into a cortisone or PRP shot for your elbow?

I got cortisone two weeks ago and it doesn't seem to have helped any. I'll ask about PRP since I want to avoid surgery.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Question just out of curiosity: Could a person be arrested (for assault) while engaging in sparring/tournament at a martial arts place if they take it too far?

A guy got out of control the other day while sparring (boxing) and the guy he was punching had taken his gloves off, was holding up his hands, and yelling "stop, stop, i'm done!" and the guy followed him off the mat continuing to punch him.

Or, like at a tournament, and someone blatantly breaks a rule and hurts someone.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

spacetoaster posted:

Question just out of curiosity: Could a person be arrested (for assault) while engaging in sparring/tournament at a martial arts place if they take it too far?

A guy got out of control the other day while sparring (boxing) and the guy he was punching had taken his gloves off, was holding up his hands, and yelling "stop, stop, i'm done!" and the guy followed him off the mat continuing to punch him.

Or, like at a tournament, and someone blatantly breaks a rule and hurts someone.

Yes. Tapping out or stuff like saying "I'm done" removed consent. I asked a professor who was also a lawyer this question a while back and that was his answer. Blatant rule breaking is similar: you're agreeing to participate based on certain rules.

I believe boxers have been charged for hitting refs for example.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

Yes. Tapping out or stuff like saying "I'm done" removed consent. I asked a professor who was also a lawyer this question a while back and that was his answer.

I believe boxers have been charged for hitting refs, I'm sure it's also happened in situations you're describing.

That makes sense.

The guy was one of those younger dudes who comes in a gym saying how he's getting ready for a "fight" and was just throwing uncontrolled haymakers. He stepped into the ring with one of our older regulars (who's built like a tank) and proceeded to piss him off over and above what should have been possible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Yes.

In hockey, Todd Bertuzzi pled guilty to criminal assault charges when he cheap shotted Steve Moore and broke his neck.

In my venue there's a waiver you sign when you register as an amateur boxer and part of it is you release other members from liability for any reason whatsoever, but I sincerely doubt that would hold up in court if there was criminal assault involved.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mewse posted:

In my venue there's a waiver you sign when you register as an amateur boxer and part of it is you release other members from liability for any reason whatsoever, but I sincerely doubt that would hold up in court if there was criminal assault involved.

Oh yeah, absolutely not. No waiver/contract can allow anyone to do illegal poo poo.

I was just curious about the line between: "Well, he stepped into the ring." and "Oh, you can't do that come with me to jail."

Also watching a youtube video on disqualifications and thinking: "Holy poo poo, that guy should go to jail"

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 28, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

The guy was one of those younger dudes who comes in a gym saying how he's getting ready for a "fight" and was just throwing uncontrolled haymakers. He stepped into the ring with one of our older regulars (who's built like a tank) and proceeded to piss him off over and above what should have been possible.

Wait, who followed whom off the mat and kept punching?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Sounds to me like young gun went in throwing heat and then didn't like it when it escalated and got slapped for his troubles. Not really the right call imo from the senior guy but it can happen if someone really oversteps boundaries.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Wait, who followed whom off the mat and kept punching?

Young guy took off his gloves and was saying to stop. Older guy kept punching.

Young guy isn't allowed back because that's the second time he's done the wild haymaker thing during regular sparring sessions. Old guy is out for two weeks.

Novum posted:

Sounds to me like young gun went in throwing heat and then didn't like it when it escalated and got slapped for his troubles. Not really the right call imo from the senior guy but it can happen if someone really oversteps boundaries.

That's exactly what happened. Older guy has a reputation for letting his opponents determine how serious he's going to treat their sparring sessions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In MMA and sanshou sparring, I've seen the spazzy violent noobs get taken down and held down until things could be deescalated. I guess I can see it being less instinctive in boxing to wrap up and not use strikes.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

KidDynamite posted:

I had a knee issue that meant I had to take a year off from jiujitsu, or anything else that would involve a twisting motion. Basically all I was allowed to do was to either run or bike. I signed up for the Color Run, which is a 5k running charity event, having never run seriously before. I discovered the following:
1. Seven weeks is enough training to go from nothing to a respectable 5k time.
2. Medium distance running is fantastic for cardio maintenance.
3. I really hate running.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

Young guy took off his gloves and was saying to stop. Older guy kept punching.

Young guy isn't allowed back because that's the second time he's done the wild haymaker thing during regular sparring sessions. Old guy is out for two weeks.

That's exactly what happened. Older guy has a reputation for letting his opponents determine how serious he's going to treat their sparring sessions.

Went from feeling bad for the "victim" to thinking he got what was coming to him. Does this make me a bad person?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

spandexcajun posted:

Went from feeling bad for the "victim" to thinking he got what was coming to him. Does this make me a bad person?

Nah, sounds like a Charlie Zelenoff kinda guy

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

generatrix posted:

I had a knee issue that meant I had to take a year off from jiujitsu, or anything else that would involve a twisting motion. Basically all I was allowed to do was to either run or bike. I signed up for the Color Run, which is a 5k running charity event, having never run seriously before. I discovered the following:
1. Seven weeks is enough training to go from nothing to a respectable 5k time.
2. Medium distance running is fantastic for cardio maintenance.
3. I really hate running.

I started running for noninjury reasons. It's been ~2 months and I'm doing consistent 8 minute miles now. I've found hill repeats in the hottest part of the day improve my stamina the best. I also found I really really hate running.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/Denlesks/status...agenumber%3D160

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Super old video, don't gently caress with old people, they could be legit killers.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Those slips though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Was not expecting the old guy to go full Dempsey

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Super old video, don't gently caress with old people, they could be legit killers.

We might be slower, but those combos are muscle memory reactions now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Power is the last to go, and that rules.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Power is the last to go, and that rules.

I got called to the ER many years ago. There was a kid (well, adult teen) with his jaw broken on both sides. He had hit his dad and his dad had punched him one time.

An older guy I worked with told me that old guys know they aren't going to be able to fight for a long time so they put everything into the first punch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's a big Brazilian population in town, and one of the Brazilian contractors working on my house had a dead battery. I jumped the car for him, and noticed he had cauliflower ear and a huge neck, so I asked if he trained. He's a purple belt at some gym I'm not familiar with, but shares a lineage with the black belt teaching at my gym.

Apparently his nickname among the contractors is "Jiu-Jitsu" :3:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Lifeis. Very very strange.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Also I am actually pretty sure that a naked Libre sensor would survive, that adhesive is really strong, but like you id rather not take the chance

I had one taken off when it bumped into the doorframe a couple of weeks ago, although this is after two years without one coming off early...

Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Bit of a practical question. I've been tending to get a lot of foot cramps during Judo practice, especially when doing randori ground work. Are there any stretches I can do on the day to help prevent and releive these cramps, and any sort of exercises I can do in the long term to prevent them in general?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

Bit of a practical question. I've been tending to get a lot of foot cramps during Judo practice, especially when doing randori ground work. Are there any stretches I can do on the day to help prevent and releive these cramps, and any sort of exercises I can do in the long term to prevent them in general?

Hydrate, Potassium, and look up some general stretching for the feet, legs, and hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Any opinions about kajukenbo? There’s apparently a really great gym here in LA (Kingi’s) and I’m looking for a practical street fighting style to compliment BJJ. Did Krav Maga for a bit but ultimately decided to stop since so much of it was just woo; I like the idea of KJKB as an alternative that actually integrates live sparring and striking disciplines like Chinese boxing.