Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

I believe a full grown human man, trained from birth to fight bears, would be able to fight and defeat a bear.

The trick is to use the fundamentals of judo, rooted in the philosophy of using your foe’s own strength against him, but modified for use against bear physiology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

The trick is to use the fundamentals of judo, rooted in the philosophy of using your foe’s own strength against him, but modified for use against bear physiology.

first you get its claws caught deep in your flesh

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Then, you roll over and scream, and the bear eats you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Then, you roll over and scream, and the bear eats you.

And now that you’re past it’s thick outer hide, the real fight begins.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the best sport is curling, fight me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Developing a poisonous lather, or ToxifoamTM, is going to be lesson 1 in my child warrior bear fighting training circuit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So in this brief period of posting we found out PYF is very uncomfortable talking about violence or sports. It's fine.

My "unpopular opinion" is cheap hot sauce that's hot enough it makes you notice "this is hot" but not cry or drool is ideal for putting on chicken nuggets, or a hot dog, or some such.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone mentioned this before but I really want to see morbidly obese people have their own category in Olympics style sports. The marathon section would certainly be more interesting. And yes I'd watch them do boxing.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're right. You go start adoption paperwork for an infant. I'll start breeding "fighting bears."

A bright new future awaits us all!

What will the base line be? Normal men vs Bearcats. The ugliest of bears

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What will the base line be? Normal men vs Bearcats. The ugliest of bears

A midget boxing a sun bear

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Owlbear vs bearkin.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

spit on my clit posted:

Curling is fascinating, but why would anyone watch it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blue Star posted:

Sports are dumb because humans are supposed to be smart animals (and yes, we're animals. we dont have souls, kids ;) ). Humans are weak and slow and fragile compared to other animals, we have survived and prospered due to our intelligence and reasoning ability. So whats the point of sports if all the players are the weakest, slowest animals ever? You watch sports to watch the BEST. The strongest, the fastest, the toughest. Humans arent any of those things.

We've got excellent endurance and coordination / dexterity compared to most other animals. Humans can outpace horses over long enough distances, and things like "accurately throwing" are difficult even for other primates.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also we're the best at League of Legends. Cats can't play that game for poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We've got excellent endurance and coordination / dexterity compared to most other animals. Humans can outpace horses over long enough distances, and things like "accurately throwing" are difficult even for other primates.

The biggest single advantage humans have is thermoregulation, actually. It's why persistence hunting works so well; most things just try to run long enough to catch prey or get away. Most chases in nature last seconds or minutes.

Humans can run for hours. A human can just run keep running at a goat or a sheep or something until it just overheats and falls over.

Well actually our single biggest advantage is organization; we basically organized everything else to death. A single human, compared to basically anything else, loving sucks but we don't work alone. We specialize and work in teams; while one dude is out jogging at goats his buddy is back home making him really nice spears.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Sep 8, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You ever see a horse or a monkey cut a promo? There's all kinds of fish dying of pollution you never heard about. ETC.

*humans are comparatively pretty big animals though

doverhog has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Sep 8, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest single advantage humans have is thermoregulation, actually. It's why persistence hunting works so well; most things just try to run long enough to catch prey or get away. Most chases in nature last seconds or minutes.

Humans can run for hours. A human can just run keep running at a goat or a sheep or something until it just overheats and falls over.

Well actually our single biggest advantage is organization; we basically organized everything else to death. A single human, compared to basically anything else, loving sucks but we don't work alone. We specialize and work in teams; while one dude is out jogging at goats his buddy is back home making him really nice spears.

Imagine how terrifying that would be. No matter how fast you run this giant hulking monstrosity is always right behind you hurling stones at your head and eventually you just pass the gently caress out while it works up a mild sweat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Imagine how terrifying that would be. No matter how fast you run this giant hulking monstrosity is always right behind you hurling stones at your head and eventually you just pass the gently caress out while it works up a mild sweat.

And then we teamed up with the dogs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And then we teamed up with the dogs.

One of my favorite completely unprovable science theories is that dogs had a big effect on human evolution. Tribes of humans who were willing to accept working with wolves were more successful than those who weren't. So the cavemen who prospered were the ones who could empathize with non-human animals. Basically, the reason that we find puppies and kittens adorable now is that 50 thousand years ago thinking puppies were adorable was an evolutionary advantage.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Just imagine how a wolf feels, smelling a dog.

Cats are different. They are not pack animals and never integrated in the same way,

doverhog has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Sep 8, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Just imagine how a wolf feels, smelling a dog.

Cats are different. They are not pack animals and never integrated in the same way,

The theory is that cats kind of self-domesticated. They don't compete with people for food sources really but they just love eating the hell out of things that gently caress up our food storage. It didn't really take any training to get cats to be useful and it isn't like they pose much of a threat to people so people were like "well they eat the vermin that gently caress up the granary and they're cute and little so they can hang around." Now we take them wherever we go but still don't train them because...well, they're cats. You can't.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

A midget boxing a sun bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfOeLQG9-M

Close enough

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Once humans begin to upload their minds to the cloud, I bet they are gonna take their dogs and cats with them, or create analogs. Just imagine a digital dog. A good boy, and useful, loyal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't hate sports you dummies. I was intensely involved in several.
My problem is that you tell them you don't have much to say about football, as politely as possible, and they suddenly act like you've offended them severely.

Like they genuinely get mopey, or will ignore any further pleasantries, I've literally had people ignore me with displeased looks on their faces after being initially friendly when I would say "Have a good evening."

Or I'll tell them several times I don't know what they're talking about, or who the person they're talking about is, or what the significance of some play I was, but they will continue to talk at me which is something an insane person does.

What makes it even more bizarre is that if a sport is on that they don't understand or pay attention to, they will ask far more reasonable questions like, "So do you know what's going on in this soccer game?" which I can at least say "Nah, no clue."

It just seems a billion times more sensible to ask someone if they like something before talking about it. I don't care how popular something is. I personally never make that assumption.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The theory is that cats kind of self-domesticated. They don't compete with people for food sources really but they just love eating the hell out of things that gently caress up our food storage. It didn't really take any training to get cats to be useful and it isn't like they pose much of a threat to people so people were like "well they eat the vermin that gently caress up the granary and they're cute and little so they can hang around." Now we take them wherever we go but still don't train them because...well, they're cats. You can't.

This is also evidenced by how they treat us.

Dogs exhibit different behavior in the presence of people than they do among other dogs. They understand pointing, can read our facial emotions, and just generally are able understand that we are something distinct and different from them.

Cats... don’t. There’s nothing special about people that changes a cat’s basic behavior. Sure they communicate with us differently, picking up that we respond better to vocalizations than nonverbal cues, but pretty much everything is still repurposed from the same communication toolbox, a lot of it specifically from the kitten-Mother relationship. They don’t seem to recognize humans as something different, just bigger cats.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't hate sports you dummies. I was intensely involved in several.
My problem is that you tell them you don't have much to say about football, as politely as possible, and they suddenly act like you've offended them severely.

Like they genuinely get mopey, or will ignore any further pleasantries, I've literally had people ignore me with displeased looks on their faces after being initially friendly when I would say "Have a good evening."

Or I'll tell them several times I don't know what they're talking about, or who the person they're talking about is, or what the significance of some play I was, but they will continue to talk at me which is something an insane person does.

What makes it even more bizarre is that if a sport is on that they don't understand or pay attention to, they will ask far more reasonable questions like, "So do you know what's going on in this soccer game?" which I can at least say "Nah, no clue."

It just seems a billion times more sensible to ask someone if they like something before talking about it. I don't care how popular something is. I personally never make that assumption.

I know what you mean, but as a guy who follows no sports except MMA, and even that sporadically, never found that to be a problem. Talking with people is a delicate exercise, a play where you write the script moment to moment, always teetering on the edge of saying not enough or too much.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it really isn't, the only remaining sports fans are all brain broke and we should be glad they self identify so clearly.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

it really isn't, the only remaining sports fans are all brain broke and we should be glad they self identify so clearly.

The only remaining sports fans, huh. Impressive breadth on your brush.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sports fans are the loudest people on the planet and that annoys me. The people in bars whooping and hollering at a tv reminds me of the people that clap in the movie theater when the credits start rolling.

e: cheering and clapping when you're at the actual game is great. Clapping at a play or live show is great.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Sep 8, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I saw darth vader and i clapped

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
If a performance deserves a clap, I clap. It doesn't matter if it's live or not. That's just polite. (wait...am i the weird one?)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

This is also evidenced by how they treat us.

Dogs exhibit different behavior in the presence of people than they do among other dogs. They understand pointing, can read our facial emotions, and just generally are able understand that we are something distinct and different from them.

Cats... don’t. There’s nothing special about people that changes a cat’s basic behavior. Sure they communicate with us differently, picking up that we respond better to vocalizations than nonverbal cues, but pretty much everything is still repurposed from the same communication toolbox, a lot of it specifically from the kitten-Mother relationship. They don’t seem to recognize humans as something different, just bigger cats.

Your pet cat would murder and eat you if it were big enough. They're basically tiny, furry psychos.

Generally speaking feral cats also can never be made not feral. Domesticated cats aren't really "domesticated;" they're mentally kittens their entire lives.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Sports fans are the loudest people on the planet and that annoys me. The people in bars whooping and hollering at a tv reminds me of the people that clap in the movie theater when the credits start rolling.

e: cheering and clapping when you're at the actual game is great. Clapping at a play or live show is great.

They aren't really the same thing though. Movie clappers and plane landing clappers are clapping at things that already happened and it's dumb. When you're watching a sport live it makes more sense to get excited as things are happening because it's something you wanted to happen and to keep happening. Also people at bars are more likely to be drunk, which is highly correlated with yelling at the TV. I'll even yell at my TV at home when something like pawnstars or the price is right is on if i'm drunk enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clapping at sports on tv at a bar is the same as clapping when one guy beats another guy in a fighting game tournament.

I hope this clears it up for you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

Shouting at live sport on tv is the best because you frighten children and animals and can use slurs against the Irish without fear of reprisal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I yell at sports video games that I'm playing more than I ever do at actual sports

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Team sports have a lot of advantages beyond just physical activity - youth involved in team sports have lower rates of drug use, drop-outs, and teen pregnancy. It's trendy to disparage sports/jocks but even less athletically inclined children should be encouraged to join a casual intramural team (volleyball, curling, whatever) for the social benefits as much as physical.

That being said, football needs to disappear as quickly as possible. TBI and CTE injuries are not rare, the NFL has known about the risk since the 1990s and has actively played down the risk even after multiple high profile suicides. Over half of all high school football players have permanent brain damage from their time on the field, college and professional athletes will naturally face even higher and more severe rates. And yeah, fandom plays a huge role in the problem because people immediately roll their eyes as soon as you talk about their precious game being far too dangerous and starting at the pee-wee level boys are encouraged to be "tough" and keep playing through injury to win at all costs. It's loving sickening, if a less popular sport put up these kind of death and disability numbers no parent would let their child play.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
American sports leagues are communism. It's faux-competition little better than professional wrestling. The teams franchises are all owned by central brands that distribute profits regardless of success.

Americans stick to their own sports because they know they can't compete in truly free global sporting marketplaces.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

American football is worse for you than MMA. There's more concussions more often, more knee injuries, etc. and it's also much more boring to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spit on my clit posted:

I will because the best sport is cornhole :colbert: