Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Also humanity is getting way too used to Griffith’s brave new world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I kind of like that as the grand result of the death and misery of basically everyone in the world and sacrifice of his loved ones, Griffith's reward is roleplaying as the cliched main character of a generic video game.

That's what he wanted. That's it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Berserk never seems to have had good pacing at the time a chapter is released.

I only got into it this year, and the entire Lonely Island Tribute Chapters time passed in an hour of reading. That poo poo too a goddamn decade to finish up for people there when it started.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mossyfisk posted:

I kind of like that as the grand result of the death and misery of basically everyone in the world and sacrifice of his loved ones, Griffith's reward is roleplaying as the cliched main character of a generic video game.

:agreed:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The entire Obama presidency elapsed in between when Guts got on the boat and when Casca woke up

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

skasion posted:

The entire Obama presidency elapsed in between when Guts got on the boat and when Casca woke up

:sad:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Sent off my translation to the mangastream peeps then checked out the Korean scanlation, and man, the translation of a translation is insidious.

It reads very well for a speed scanlation for the most part, but a couple of lines are just translated as... the exact opposite of what is being said? Just outright missed negations. And sometimes the speaker is assumed to be someone they're not? I know very little about the Korean language but I assume those errors were introduced in the original Jap->Kor translation and persisted into English.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

All of this will probably read well and flow quite well when we're 30 chapters down the line from here.

berserk.txt

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

mossyfisk posted:

Accurate.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I realize the translation could be at fault but "You don't want to stay like that do you?" makes me wonder if all the apostles will permanently recover their human forms. (My first thought was that he was going to turn them all into monsters.) But then what about the humans? What happens to them?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s annoying when I read a bunch of these chapters later in sequence that thevshitty translations are still the ones up on the manga sites because they came out first. I should get back into buying the Dark Horse editions but I have nowhere to store books anymore.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The phrasing isn't entirely intuitive in Japanese but I think she means they'd get physically stuck in the stonehenge on account of being huge monsters.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
That sounds like quite the Berserk joke for certain: It isn't how you use it, it's the size that matters.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

PringleCreamEgg posted:

None of this Griffith focused stuff has any tension at all, and I personally don't find it interesting. Sonia can give good exposition and the stuff with Rickert was good, but otherwise it's just Griffith's army effortlessly crushing monsters. We already knew that Griffith was strong as gently caress and everyone loves him, so I really feel like this chapter was unnecessary from a story telling perspective. If we were to get inner monologue from Griffith where he revealed some stuff about his motivations it would be cool but otherwise I really don't get it. I'm sure the next chapter will be focused in Falconia as well, but I can't imagine whatever happens there will have needed these two chapters for context.

Basically I just want to see Caska and Guts first conversation and this is interfering.

I don't think you will ever ever ever get insight into what Griffith is up to from himself.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The EG/MS release of #357 is out now.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thanks for doing this, i always wait for the eg releases.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Now to wait for the EG torrent.

It was a neat chapter, though. Sonia seems pretty devoted to Griffith. I wonder if having to eventually be antagonistic to Schierke and the other witch children will make her start to question her place. Her switching sides would be a pretty big blow to team Griffith so I assume it has to happen eventually. Especially if she is the only one other than Griffith who can traverse the world tree.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Nalin posted:

she is the only one other than Griffith who can traverse the world tree.

Shierke or the fairies/queen might be able to do it as well. While Griffith (and maybe Sonia probably) knows about the fairies, the rest of his army probably doesn't. That special sense probably has to do with astral projection

Additionally, its possible Guts and Co might be able to use it to actually reach the rest of the Godhand, world trees are supposed to go through all relms in mythology. Griffith might of just led to his undoing.

Also, does this need to be in spoilers or not?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 25, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Nalin posted:

Now to wait for the EG torrent.

It was a neat chapter, though. Sonia seems pretty devoted to Griffith. I wonder if having to eventually be antagonistic to Schierke and the other witch children will make her start to question her place. Her switching sides would be a pretty big blow to team Griffith so I assume it has to happen eventually. Especially if she is the only one other than Griffith who can traverse the world tree.

We saw Gut's kid traverse the branches of the world tree too when they were still on the boat.

I think he's the one who's gonna gently caress up Griffith's plans of invading Elfhelm

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m of the were-Griffith theory that every full moon Griffith reverts into his Guts and Casks child form. This chapter showing he’s the only one to be able to traverse the world tree helps confirm it. Earlier he needed to have Zodd fly him to be with his parents like in volume 28.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Whoa so it's not a half chapter, there's more after page 11.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

Sent off my translation to the mangastream peeps then checked out the Korean scanlation, and man, the translation of a translation is insidious.

It reads very well for a speed scanlation for the most part, but a couple of lines are just translated as... the exact opposite of what is being said? Just outright missed negations. And sometimes the speaker is assumed to be someone they're not? I know very little about the Korean language but I assume those errors were introduced in the original Jap->Kor translation and persisted into English.

If I am trying to read an article in Korean, I first have to translate Korean -> Japanese -> English with Google.

Korean to English for complex scripts is horrific, so this isn't surprising, you get poo poo like "Kingdom of the centipede princess" for Govt organizations when going straight Korean to English.

Like my boss' name gets translated to Civilian Bacteria Dream whenever I hit translate on his emails. It's pretty funny.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 27, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From PYF funny pictures.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Found on twitter copying the Kopernick thing but it actually fits well Griffith lol.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Ulio posted:

Found on twitter copying the Kopernick thing but it actually fits well Griffith lol.

This but screaming "just do it":

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Read through Berserk again, from the beginning.

All the Golden Age stuff with Griffith is just "...ow.. this hurts us".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ha the golden age.

Griffith orders Casca to save Corkus, then after they're both going to die he charges in and slashes an opponent that was the target of an uncoordinated roving gang. Nice of him to take the glory from that field.

Griffith fights young Guts while wounded. "Oh we can wait until you're better". Uh huh. Very honorable.

Oh look they're fighting again. I'll tell one of them that I'll take care of things, then tell the other one to just "gently caress that noise". Great leadership.

"Those two are essential to the Hawks". Darn I guess I arrived too early because they both survived. There was only one I wanted to keep.

I'll keep the strong one with me in this big battle because I've put my back to the river. "Pick up / use that sword!" Gee ya think? I'll send the other one behind enemy lines because I don't really know what forces they'll have in reserve, she might get annihilated, if the main force retreats they're screwed, and if we win we can push forward and take care of the leftovers even if she fails.

I slept with someone to make money and someone else for power. Oh look s/he likes someone else they probably had sex I'm gonna run away.

We should have seen it coming.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

We should have seen it coming.

i mean the story begins by telling you it's gonna happen

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ccs posted:

I’m of the were-Griffith theory that every full moon Griffith reverts into his Guts and Casks child form. This chapter showing he’s the only one to be able to traverse the world tree helps confirm it. Earlier he needed to have Zodd fly him to be with his parents like in volume 28.

Huh. I never even considered that.

Which is kinda dumb since Griffith did use the Demon child as his vessel back into the material world

Another big question that's gone unanswered so far is what the other Godhands are doing. If they're doing anything at all.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

OhFunny posted:

Another big question that's gone unanswered so far is what the other Godhands are doing. If they're doing anything at all.

Yeah, I wonder that myself. What do they think of Griffith's current shenanigans? Are they down with him running around doing his thing right now? Do they even care?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I swear he's taken a leadership role above or equal to Void the way the story has panned out in the past decade. As Void seemed to be the figurehead previously with lots of center placement in the art and splash panels.

Doesn't mean they have an actual pecking order among their ranks, but the other three seem to be taking a vacation while Griffith gives the middle finger to reality and Void mostly has mostly had eyeless staring competitions with Skull Knight.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Much like how a newborn baby seems to take leadership and starts commanding the other members of a family.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Andrigaar posted:

Void mostly has mostly had eyeless staring competitions with Skull Knight.
I was thinking with the recent interlude that twenty or so chapters about Skull Knight would be really cool right about now, perhaps in preparation for an SK appearance in Elfhelm as the pieces move into position for the final battle.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lol 20 chapters, so we wouldn’t see the main cast again until 2030?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Void probably is waiting for Griffith to write himself into a corner and then capitalize on the causality.

Slann is probably enjoying herself in a sex pit in Falconia or waiting for another chance to gently caress around with Guts. If anything she's probably the most bored out of this kingdom deal because where's the human misery in a paradise?

Its really Conrad and Ubik who I have absolutely no idea what they could want or get out of the current situation. Does Ubik go around spooking people in Falconia?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ubik would totally travel around directing his own troupe and use his power for the sfx

e: and as he left the cheering villages monsters swoop in and eat everyone

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 9, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I figured they were all out and about, screwing with humanity in the rest of the world. Potentially with the goal of driving everyone they can towards Falconia for like a big super sacrifice or something.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Yeah I imagine they're having a grand old time loving with everyone not lucky enough to be within walking/running distance of Falconia. Isolated places would be completely hosed by the current situation, remember what happened with the Sea God island?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
There are pages that show them doing various demonic poo poo in the regular world. Some time around the merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of interesting that the Berserk manga is now older than a lot of it's readers.