Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A bit more than double normal speed, so I would say somewhere around 75rpm, I haven't actually let it run for very long like that. It's not a hidden 78rpm mode, at least not according to the manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Pickings were slim at a very hyped flea market today, but I did manage to get out with this guy:

Even if it was a bit pricey, I should manage to squeeze out a profit when I sell it off. It came with a leather carrying case in decent shape, and after an hour with wipes and brushes, it looks like it fell off the back of a time machine. It seems to work fine, and the sound is very nice on the one remaining FM channel I can receive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stan Taylor posted:

I gotta upgrade my current stock one that came with my u-turn but I'm worried about mucking up the installation of it, particularly adjusting the counterweight. I'm probably just overthinking it.

The U-Turn site advises the use of a turntable balance ($15-30) to properly set. But what are you thinking of switching it to? I think UTurn sell upgrade carts (Grado, Ortofon Red/Blue) mounted on headshells but I could be wrong. Seems like it would be a no-brainer for a company with a single product line though.

Btw, what does yours look like and how much do you like it? I’m considering one for myself/my dad.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm sure this has been mentioned ad infinitum in this thread but any recommendations for an optical to RCA converter? for hooking up my new tv to old my old receiver.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I bought this Rotel RX-602 from a guy for $5 because he said it had made a loud pop, smoked and died. When I plugged it in I could find no problems beyond dirt, patina and dead bulbs. The bulbs were $10, and an hour with a brush and a wet wipe cleaned it up just fine.

That black front, glowing FM scale and dark wood is really something!

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

Milosh posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned ad infinitum in this thread but any recommendations for an optical to RCA converter? for hooking up my new tv to old my old receiver.

It's probably not the best out there, but I have had zero problems with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Di...J3PK7M0ZZDHDVJ3

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Milosh posted:

I've been using a FiiO D03K as the primary output from my PC for years, I have absolutely no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I've been using a FiiO D03K as the primary output from my PC for years, I have absolutely no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/

+1 for me. I have one converting stereo optical from my TV to a stereo receiver sans digital ins and sounds great. Hell, that setup goes Apple TV/PS4/etc—HDMI—>TV—>TOSlink—>D03K—>RCA—>Receiver with no complaints.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I loop audio back into my receiver from the TV line out for Zone 2 purposes (it’s the only way to guarantee stereo as the receiver handles surround for the main zone, and cheaper receivers can only do Z2 from a stereo analog source), works well enough for me but means both zones typically need to be showing the same thing.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i'm looking at buying a new stylus for my stanton 680 EE cartridge as mine is getting pretty obviously worn down. does anyone have any experience with 3rd party brands? stanton don't seem to make these anymore.

there's a significant price difference between brands (eg jico at $85 USD and pfanstiehl/EVG for $30 USD) but opinion seems mixed on both brands in forums like audiokarma where this cart is being discussed.

i'm assuming i should just buy the cheap option first and if it's crap try something else?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Well, hello there!

I finally got the Kappas to liven up a bit! They've always been lacking some punch with my old Aragon 4004.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Here's something that stumps me, see if anyone of you can figure it out:

I bought a Meridian 506 CD-player, which is a sexy piece of kit. However, I get no sound from it on either analog or digital outs.

-It identifies and plays tracks just fine, the counter and time display, fast forward and rewind works just fine, so we'll assume the laser is good, and information from the disc arrives at whatever electronics tells the time and track to the display.

-The optical out shines red, and when I hook it up to my receiver it is identified as a PCM signal.

-I use a Logitech Harmony as a remote for it, which works fine. I haven't found any volume control, mute control or similar.

So it reads fine, reaches whatever tells time, but cuts off the signal somewhere before or after the DAC circuit so that both analog and digital output is dead, but somehow sends out a PCM signal. If it had been just analog or just digital or a dead laser I would have understood it, but these symptoms are just too weird. Anyone got a good idea?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I bought a wire rack to hold some of my unused equipment:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found this Dual 1215 today at Goodwill for $15. I don't know much about Dual but the plinth caught my eye. I guess I've always dismissed the brand because they don't look much different than the generic BSR turntables of the early 70s, but now that I'm actually touching one and seeing how the controls work, I can see why people like them. The grease in this one seems good and the speed is stable (it even came with an official Dual strobe disc!).

The only problem I've noticed is that mine doesn't stop, ever. The automatic functions work but the platter will never stop spinning. Hopefully that's an easy fix - I haven't googled it much yet.

Oh, and someone took the RCA cable off. So I have no idea if it produces sound. :v:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

Here's something that stumps me, see if anyone of you can figure it out:

I bought a Meridian 506 CD-player, which is a sexy piece of kit. However, I get no sound from it on either analog or digital outs.

-It identifies and plays tracks just fine, the counter and time display, fast forward and rewind works just fine, so we'll assume the laser is good, and information from the disc arrives at whatever electronics tells the time and track to the display.

-The optical out shines red, and when I hook it up to my receiver it is identified as a PCM signal.

-I use a Logitech Harmony as a remote for it, which works fine. I haven't found any volume control, mute control or similar.

So it reads fine, reaches whatever tells time, but cuts off the signal somewhere before or after the DAC circuit so that both analog and digital output is dead, but somehow sends out a PCM signal. If it had been just analog or just digital or a dead laser I would have understood it, but these symptoms are just too weird. Anyone got a good idea?

it is entirely possible the dac and associated circuitry are shot. TOSLINK protocol wraps the audio data in frames with metadata, so the output stage could be shipping frames with no audio data with the CD flag set.

pre:
 Channel status and subcode information

In each block, 384 bits of channel status and subcode info are transmitted. The Channel-status bits are equal for both subframes, 
so actually only 192 useful bits are transmitted:

bit 	meaning

9-15 	category-code:

0 = common 2-channel format
    1 = 2-channel CD-format (set by a CD-player when a subcode is transmitted)
    2 = 2-channel PCM-encoder-decoder format
    others are not used 

19-191 	0 (reserved) 

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up a couple things at the thrift store today.

First was this Sony boombox for $5. Nothing special but I couldn't pass it up:

Second was this Panasonic RF-888 for $30, which is way more than I think it's worth at a thrift store, but I was really in love with it. I passed on it the first time I saw it and then went back the next day to get it.

It was in rough shape but it cleaned up real nice (except my excessive rubbing alcohol took off some of the silver trim paint). With the loudness switched on, it sounds great at low volumes. It has amazing AFC FM reception. What really drew me to it , aside from the design, was all the unusual features it has: a tuning/VU meter, mechanical sleep timer, squelch knob, dial light, public service band, and mic mixing. The shoulder strap locks in with seatbelt-style buckles. The tuning dial scrolls behind the indicator, which is a neat effect.

I'm a little envious because it looks like there was also a UK version with a red metal case instead of black plastic, and with a shortwave band instead of PSB.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

wa27 posted:

I bought a wire rack to hold some of my unused equipment:

I don't have unused equipment, but I have a "project" rack

That picture is also a couple months old and quite a bit has been added to it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a stereo receiver that is making a horrible buzz.

It's a Sony STR-AV200 that I use for a phonograph, radio, and mp3 player. It's worked fine for years. Speaker impedance is definitely matched. Stereo hasn't always been grounded (it only has a 2 prong plug), but connecting the chassis ground screw to a ground doesn't help the buzz.

The problem:
The left speaker channel developed a buzz. This happened fairly suddenly. It plays no matter what mode is on. The buzz is of constant volume regardless of any adjustment of volume or balance, and always on the left.
Turning the stereo off and back on sometimes clears the buzz for a while, but that's working less and less. The buzz usually fades in within about 5 seconds.
The most recent time, the left speaker initially made a weird unsteady staticy noise, which faded out as the buzz faded in.
I confirmed it's not the speaker itself by switching L/R speakers, and the buzz moved to the right speaker (now plugged into the left terminal) - so it's definitely the channel or terminal.

The buzz originally developed in speaker terminal set B (I didn't use terminal set A and they were turned off). When I switched the speakers both to speaker terminals A, the buzz was gone for a while. But a few days later it developed again.

The way it fades in after about 5 seconds makes me think something capacitor related? Idk. I'm decent at messing with circuits and I have a mild hobbyist level of electronics tools but I don't know how to troubleshoot a stereo. Any ideas? Is there a better thread for this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My girlfriend had a turntable at her folks place that we recently brought over. It looks like all I need is a preamp, another RCA, and a new needle. What should I get for the first and last things on that list? Looking to keep this cheap as possible without buying literal dogshit

Edit apparently we need to either replace our speakers or get an actual amp as well whatever is cheapest

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 25, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My girlfriend had a turntable at her folks place that we recently brought over. It looks like all I need is a preamp, another RCA, and a new needle. What should I get for the first and last things on that list? Looking to keep this cheap as possible without buying literal dogshit

Edit apparently we need to either replace our speakers or get an actual amp as well whatever is cheapest

Umm...what kind of speakers are you replacing? Are they self-powered? Also what table did you get? How old is it and what does the headshell look like? Is the turntable running at the right speed/has it been used recently? Depending on what cartridge you have it might be better to replace it instead of getting a new stylus and it might be easier to get one that’s already mounted to a headshell compatible with your turntable.

If you need an amp and your budget is big enough (what’s your budget?) you can get a stereo amp or receiver that has a phono input built in. Would you rather have something that can also pull home theater duty? Some HT receivers have phono ins. And you can always use an external preamp with whatever amp/receiver/powered speaker you want.

You mention a “new RCA”. Does the table need new cables?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Umm...what kind of speakers are you replacing? Are they self-powered? Also what table did you get? How old is it and what does the headshell look like? Is the turntable running at the right speed/has it been used recently? Depending on what cartridge you have it might be better to replace it instead of getting a new stylus and it might be easier to get one that’s already mounted to a headshell compatible with your turntable.

If you need an amp and your budget is big enough (what’s your budget?) you can get a stereo amp or receiver that has a phono input built in. Would you rather have something that can also pull home theater duty? Some HT receivers have phono ins. And you can always use an external preamp with whatever amp/receiver/powered speaker you want.

You mention a “new RCA”. Does the table need new cables?

Coming back late but I'm really just looking for something to hook up to the turntable, I have a (terrible, 90s) stereo set up that I'm happy with and I'm not really looking to do much with. Turntable is uh

Well how about some pictures

Not sure how old it is, it seems to turn fine after we replaced the belt (the old one had snapped). Speakers aren't powered. Not sure how to find out what cartridge I would need either

Sorry I'm so vague, I know literally nothing besides "girlfriend had turntable she got from Somewhere and also speakers"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Coming back late but I'm really just looking for something to hook up to the turntable, I have a (terrible, 90s) stereo set up that I'm happy with and I'm not really looking to do much with. Turntable is uh

Well how about some pictures

Not sure how old it is, it seems to turn fine after we replaced the belt (the old one had snapped). Speakers aren't powered. Not sure how to find out what cartridge I would need either

Sorry I'm so vague, I know literally nothing besides "girlfriend had turntable she got from Somewhere and also speakers"

That’s a fine turntable if it’s working. You probably need a phono preamp if you want to hook it up with your 90’s stereo, unless it’s a very early 90’s stereo. Does it have rca cables? If someone cut them off it could be a pain.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have the direct-drive version of that table that I used for years. They're good units.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BigFactory posted:

That’s a fine turntable if it’s working. You probably need a phono preamp if you want to hook it up with your 90’s stereo, unless it’s a very early 90’s stereo. Does it have rca cables? If someone cut them off it could be a pain.

It has RCA cables and a ground wire. I wasn't sure if I could run it to those speakers while it's hooked into the actual stereo system, I don't have a receiver for that, it's just speaker wire from the radio/CD player/etc to the speakers. I do have separate speakers that I could hook a receiver with phono up to though.

Edit when I get home tonight I'll take pictures of everything and post all of what I have, and y'all can tell me the easiest way for a certified dumb person to hook it up. Right now I'm thinking it's a receiver with phono inputs, hooking that up to both of the things, and then hooking that up to one set if speakers.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 28, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
okay so, after some research and looking at things at home, i just need a stereo receiver with phono input and some speaker wire. what should i get for a receiver?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Are you looking to get new or vintage? If you post your location we might be able to help you search Craigslist for something good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Are you looking to get new or vintage? If you post your location we might be able to help you search Craigslist for something good.

I'd rather get something new. I'm in Syracuse NY

Edit and it looks like whoever had this last bought a new cartridge, because the stylus I took out looks nothing like the stock one online. So now I need to know where to buy a new cartridge and stylus. This stylus says ortofon ff 10 xe on it

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 29, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting to cross post from nmd

My girlfriend and I decided to get our Technics turntable that we acquired....somewhere up and running. I've got the audio end of it figured out, what I need to buy and all, but the stylus was hosed up and needs to be replaced

Here's my dilemma: it's definitely not a stock Technics sl230 stylus. It's got "ortofon ff 10 xe" written on it. Ive found a replacement for that online already

But! I can't tell if there's something a little cheaper I could use in this cartridge because there's no model number for me to Google written on it. I took some pictures, maybe you all can help me tell what's going on and what my options are

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'd rather get something new. I'm in Syracuse NY

What’s your budget then? And just to double-dog check, are you positive that you desire a stereo receiver and not a home theater surround one?

Now, I want to make it clear that I am not trying to frame one particular type as generally superior to the other- in general a stereo receiver is going to probably give you better performance per channel, but likely not in a way that you will be able to perceive at the low end of the budget. Stereo receivers get preference from graybeards, hobbyists, and enthusiasts with dedicated stereo setups (like most of us here) or people who don’t have the space/desire for a 5.1+ surround system. The relatively few new ones that exist on the market today pretty much all come with phono inputs. They won’t have HDMI inputs (although most will have optical in) and they’ll be limited to stereo. If you decide that you want to hook your TV up to the same receiver as your turntable just keep that in mind. They exist at pretty much every price level- from ~$200 all the way up to tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds.

The vast majority of new surround receivers won’t have a phono input, and IIRC the least expensive one that does is still like $450. This is really only for people who want to plug their turntable into their home theater setup (and an external preamp or modern turntable with built-in preamp can get around this anyway and will work with cheaper receivers). The benefit here is that if you are tight on space/would like one unified setup that lets you have surrounds/expect to build out a HT setup in the somewhat near future and would like to avoid having to buy and/or sell AV equipment you’ve got a jack-of-all-trades. The downside is that its stereo performance will probably be inferior dollar-for-dollar, but again- given the budget you’ve been hinting at I doubt you’ve got the kind of speakers that would make you notice. New ones will undoubtedly have HDMI ports along with some RCA and probably optical inputs, although the cheaper ones have been skimping on RCA inputs lately in favor of adding more HDMI ins and saving money on “legacy” ( :rolleyes: ) analog inputs. Count how many/what type of input devices you plan to use and buy accordingly. These are the big mass-market option today since 90+% of buyers don’t have turntables and CD players anymore and are looking to plug their PS4s and cable boxes into their HDTVs and listen to movies in surround sound. These also exist at every price point, though like I said- the cheaper they are the more spartan the connection options/surround options/etc. Also, because there are more speakers to connect, cheap surround receivers will often have way cheaper connection points (spring clips instead of screw connectors, etc) than stereo receivers at the same price.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 29, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I'm definitely sticking with a stereo receiver. I have a relatively small apartment with not a lot of space to do an actual home theater set up let alone the funds to do one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah I'm definitely sticking with a stereo receiver. I have a relatively small apartment with not a lot of space to do an actual home theater set up let alone the funds to do one.

Ok cool, but what’s your budget tho?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The vast majority of new surround receivers won’t have a phono input, and IIRC the least expensive one that does is still like $450.

Just for reference, unless something changed in the last years models, Onkyo still have a phono input on their receivers. I paid around $250 (including a bit of discount) from Best Buy for mine last year so it’s definitely doable on a budget.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just for reference, unless something changed in the last years models, Onkyo still have a phono input on their receivers. I paid around $250 (including a bit of discount) from Best Buy for mine last year so it’s definitely doable on a budget.

Onkyo’s least expensive surround receivers don’t have one anymore, the cheapest one that does is- I think- like $400-500.

All of their stereo receivers do, however.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

$299 and $330 at Newegg and $350 at Crutchfield.

All are current models looking at Onkyo's site, so definitely still doable for less money. I'm not sure if the super budget line ever had phono inputs, these are more mid-range for Onkyo (which generally puts them at budget pricing for other brands).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

$299 and $330 at Newegg and $350 at Crutchfield.

All are current models looking at Onkyo's site, so definitely still doable for less money. I'm not sure if the super budget line ever had phono inputs, these are more mid-range for Onkyo (which generally puts them at budget pricing for other brands).

Oh that’s dope.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I'm currently rocking a pretty basic setup for playing records, and ready to jump into some upgrades. Right now I have an Audio Technica LP-60 turntable and Edifier S1000DB speakers. Here's what I'm hoping to grab first:

Technics SL 1200
AT-VM540ML cart
Phono preamp (Art DJPRE-II?)

Since my speakers are powered, I won't need a receiver\integrated amp, right? I figure that'll be in my next upgrade round when I get new speakers. So otherwise, do those upgrades look ok? As far as the turntable is concerned, should I try to find something local (craigslist, record\dj supply shops; note I'm in Portland, OR, so supply is decent) over searching ebay in order to minimize possible shipping damage, or does it really matter?

There are a couple up on Craigslist at the moment, but I'm not sure if I want to go for any of them. One ad looks good because they say they are the second owner (they're a pair of mk5s) and they've only had studio use. There's no dust cover included, but the 45 adapter is still there and the decks look really clean from the pictures. Buuuut, they're asking $1375 for the pair. Even if they're willing to split, 700ish bucks seems high (and is more than I'm looking to spend). The ad has been up for 2 weeks, so maybe I could talk them down? Anyway, a second ad lists an mk2 at $450 obo, which is a more attractive price, and it has recently been serviced at a well-regarded local audio shop, but the owner admits it was "used heavily back in the day" and it's missing the dust cover and 45 adapter (I know I can replace these things, but someone mentioned it's a sign of how well the units have been treated). There are a few more advertised that are available in some shops around town from $500 up.

Any thoughts on whether I should keep watching Craigslist, or if I should check some of these out would be appreciated. I'm just not sure what should be a real red flag, and if these prices are about the best I can expect. Sorry for the huge post and all the questions, I'm just excited to start upgrading!

marjorie fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 12, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yes, no need for an amplifier when you have powered speakers. As to buying 1200s, I'm not super aware of the US situation, but for home stereo use I wouldn't pay the amateur DJ premium they command. They cost silly money on their (admittedly justified) reputation for being rock solid as DJ decks, not because they are the be all and end all of playing records at home. Since they are so popular and really the only TT people outside of those with an interest in audio gear might know, it is pretty rare to get a 'good' deal on a 1200.

A MK5 for $350-400 is not a bad deal. But $450 and a warning it's been heavily used and is missing dust cover and adapter does not seem worth the risk or hassle. As with all audio gear, the best tactic is patience and maybe hope you get lucky on local sites like Craiglist of equivalents. My personal advice would be to at least consider other options if you're on a bit of a budget and your heart isn't dead set on a 1200.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If nothing else, look for 1300s, 1400s and 1500s (and their related xx10 versions). They're not as hilariously overbuilt as the 1200s, but they're still really solid.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

marjorie posted:

I'm currently rocking a pretty basic setup for playing records, and ready to jump into some upgrades. Right now I have an Audio Technica LP-60 turntable and Edifier S1000DB speakers. Here's what I'm hoping to grab first:

Technics SL 1200
AT-VM540ML cart
Phono preamp (Art DJPRE-II?)

Since my speakers are powered, I won't need a receiver\integrated amp, right? I figure that'll be in my next upgrade round when I get new speakers. So otherwise, do those upgrades look ok? As far as the turntable is concerned, should I try to find something local (craigslist, record\dj supply shops; note I'm in Portland, OR, so supply is decent) over searching ebay in order to minimize possible shipping damage, or does it really matter?

There are a couple up on Craigslist at the moment, but I'm not sure if I want to go for any of them. One ad looks good because they say they are the second owner (they're a pair of mk5s) and they've only had studio use. There's no dust cover included, but the 45 adapter is still there and the decks look really clean from the pictures. Buuuut, they're asking $1375 for the pair. Even if they're willing to split, 700ish bucks seems high (and is more than I'm looking to spend). The ad has been up for 2 weeks, so maybe I could talk them down? Anyway, a second ad lists an mk2 at $450 obo, which is a more attractive price, and it has recently been serviced at a well-regarded local audio shop, but the owner admits it was "used heavily back in the day" and it's missing the dust cover and 45 adapter (I know I can replace these things, but someone mentioned it's a sign of how well the units have been treated). There are a few more advertised that are available in some shops around town from $500 up.

Any thoughts on whether I should keep watching Craigslist, or if I should check some of these out would be appreciated. I'm just not sure what should be a real red flag, and if these prices are about the best I can expect. Sorry for the huge post and all the questions, I'm just excited to start upgrading!

Replacement dust covers are more expensive than you think they should be, and that’s assuming all the hardware on the plinth works and wasn’t broken when the original dust cover was ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I think I had my heart set on the 1200 because someone described it as "the last turntable you'll ever buy" and I liked the sound of that. I figured the popularity would make things like tinkering and repairing that much easier because of all of the resources out there, though there are probably teardown videos on youtube of most major TT models at this point. All that being said, you're not wrong about how it's probably overkill for my needs, and I definitely will start looking at other models as well, like the ones KozmoNaut suggested.