Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i am tim! posted:

Yeah, for the most part the lyrics for the music of Nier is gibberish. In interviews about the lyrics, Emi Evans (the singer/lyricist) explained that she was asked to have the songs sung in a futuristic language. She accomplished this by listening to songs in all kinds of languages, then imagined how they would drift or blend. I think Keiichi Okabe has given an idea of what the song might be about, but if he did he didn’t stick with the original plan. IE Grandma was gonna be played during the prologue, not a boss battle.

That said I like to play “what might they be saying?” with the Nier songs. I think the only “word” that might actually pop up in the songs would be at some point during Song of the Ancients it sounds like they’re saying “Shinjuku,” which was ground zero for everything going Drakengard. I could see that being the case.

people had a lot of fun trying to riddle out the chant from The Dark Colossus Destroys All

JESUS. HORUS. JUDAS. EDEN. VASHTI. HAMAN. DEUS. NIER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest having an atypical JRPG protagonist is cool and all, but Nier’s whole thing always seemed like it would work better with a plucky JRPG protagonist being subjected to the game’s events.

I mean, (huge Automata spoilers)it worked out pretty well for 9S!

Wasn't old man Nier literally invented for the western market? I figured the original plan was to have the protagonist be a plucky lad

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The woman who does the Ar Tonelico songs that use an entire actual language made up for those games.
I don't fully understand how that came about, because Ar Nosurge, at least, credits a bunch of different lyricists. Did a lone rogue linguist develop the language on her own and somehow hand it off to the others?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't fully understand how that came about, because Ar Nosurge, at least, credits a bunch of different lyricists. Did a lone rogue linguist develop the language on her own and somehow hand it off to the others?

It was a collaborative effort between the music director and the singers afaik

Also each game in the series introduces a new language or dialect

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Gibberish "lyrics" always reminds of those "what a certain language you know sounds like if you don't speak it" videos that try to maintain the general tone, rhythm and accentuation of a language but scramble anything resembling semantics. Sounds like they were maybe kind of going for the same thing.

Context: as a non-native english speaker, 90% of english music was a lot more interesting before i became fluent enough to effortlessly follow the lyrics.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 14, 2018

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Gibberish "lyrics" always reminds of those "what a certain language you know sounds like if you don't speak it" videos that try to maintain the general tone, rhythm and accentuation of a language but scramble anything resembling semantics. Sounds like they were maybe kind of going for the same thing.

Context: as a non-native english speaker, 90% of english music was a lot more interesting before i became fluent enough to effortlessly follow the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuuvwXSK8mU

Only one real word in the whole song.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

i am tim! posted:

That said I like to play “what might they be saying?” with the Nier songs. I think the only “word” that might actually pop up in the songs would be at some point during Song of the Ancients it sounds like they’re saying “Shinjuku,” which was ground zero for everything going Drakengard. I could see that being the case.

Since you hear Song of the Ancients "sung" by Devola at the beginning and Emi Evans sings almost all of the other songs, it kinda felt like Devola was narrating Nier's adventure. I know that's not really how it is but I think that would've been cool.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The songs' lyrics are a blend of various languages that Emi Evans threw together, and occasionally you'll hear something that sounds familiar in a lot of the songs, as people posted earlier.

The first line of "The Wretched Automatons" is a distorted version of "Hello, World".

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The Wretched Automatons is a great one for picking out words, as according to this interview with Emi it's the one that's supposed to be 'futuristic english.' There's a few stanzas where it sounds like she's saying "Disobey" and "Start Again." Can't say for sure that's the case, but it's hard to stop hearing it once you start.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've always heard the word "fräulein" over and over in the Song of the Ancients. It gives it a very fairytalish sound to me. That's one of the things I like so much about music like Emi Evans's and Yuki Kajiura's where the lyrics are made up--there's usually just a little bit that sounds familiar and it jots my imagination.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tarezax posted:

It was a collaborative effort between the music director and the singers afaik

Also each game in the series introduces a new language or dialect
Makes sense when you put it like that. I don't know what such cool artists did to deserve having Ar Tonelico inflicted on them, though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm pretty sure in the case of Nier's music each song is a gibberish version of a specific language - like Grandma is French, Amusement Park is Gaelic (I think?) Anyone got guesses for the rest of Automata's songs? Pascal sounds like German or something to me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Not Automata, but I think Kaine's theme is also Gaelic?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This is just a showerthought, but I realized that the existentialist "life has no inherent meaning passed down from above" theme of Automata meshes really well with the gameplay. It has the gameplay mechanics of character action games and shmups but completely excises any scores, rankings, or performance assessments, which are usually defining features of those genres. Even the achievements, which I imagine are forced to be included in the game, are made as irrelevant as possible by being able to just purchase them. Like the game really strongly refuses to be the one to tell you what's good.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Purchasing the achievements is one of my favorite parts of the game. Even more so bc they’re dirt cheap to buy as soon as the shop is unlocked.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That and Platinum clearly wanted to make sequel similar to the original game, just a bit more polished, so no ranks, scores etc.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 15, 2018

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cephas posted:

This is just a showerthought, but I realized that the existentialist "life has no inherent meaning passed down from above" theme of Automata meshes really well with the gameplay. It has the gameplay mechanics of character action games and shmups but completely excises any scores, rankings, or performance assessments, which are usually defining features of those genres. Even the achievements, which I imagine are forced to be included in the game, are made as irrelevant as possible by being able to just purchase them. Like the game really strongly refuses to be the one to tell you what's good.

One of the reasons I don’t really play Platinum games is because of all the rankings so hell loving yeah to all of this.

Automata 2 should include a score display chip for people who want it though!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cephas posted:

the meaning of life in automata is that you'll want to bang the android next to you regardless of the state of the world.

it's pretty enlightened I think.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Horny. Horny never changes...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cephas posted:

It doesn't even have any achievements about difficulty level. Change it around all you want, the game doesn't care.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
English preorder up for the World Guide Volume 1 hardcover

Also the Long Story Short and Short Story Long english books are up as well. Release dates are still a ways away for some of this.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Thanks! Pre-ordered them both.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The World books I reckon are one of those big lore books that Square likes to put out, but what are the Long Story Short/Short Story Long books?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i am tim! posted:

The World books I reckon are one of those big lore books that Square likes to put out, but what are the Long Story Short/Short Story Long books?

Long story short is a game novelization. Short story long is the side stories, although I can't remember the exact content.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i am tim! posted:

Long Story Short is a novelization of the game with some expanded material.

Short Story Long is a collection of short stories.

This is a big deal because these games get a LOT of lore and details fleshed out in extra material – stage plays, concerts, short stories, strategy guides, etc. It shouldn't surprise you that most of this content never officially makes it out of Japan. The NieR community is really awesome and has translated a lot of the stuff into English. But reading an amateur translation on a wiki page isn't the same thing as reading the actual book. I think all of the stories take place before/during the actual game.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5tcYRHe_M

soon

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Looking forward to this getting lost in the post and showing up in a surprise delivery two years from now.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it wouldn't be a NieR product without a dramatic view of Kainé's rear end crack

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Gibbering posted:

Looking forward to this getting lost in the post and showing up in a surprise delivery two years from now.

I preordered it from Amazon JP and the last thing I bought from there was the Automata concert bluray which I got in like 2 days after shipping, I was pretty surprised.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I'm happy that we're getting these books translated but I can't help but think that a straight novelization of the game just wouldn't work. So much of what makes the game good comes from the soundtrack, presentation, and unique gameplay elements. I think even a movie would have trouble replicating some of the game's defining moments, let alone a book. I struggle to think of an appropriate audience for such a thing. People who can play the game would be better served playing the game, and people who can't play the game won't get the full effect.

One example: the gaming-meta stuff like the loading screen pod interactions mirrors how the pods gain awareness and reflect the theme of essence arising from existence. The expectation that the loading screen is simply a forced intermission and that a pod is simply a computer is turned on its head. I think it's this kind of foreshadowing that, upon reflection, pack the main punch after ending E is done. How could you replicate this in a novel?

I hope they can figure out how to make it work but I'm glad I'm not the guy whose job is to do that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Resurrecting this thread to say I’ve finally picked this up and have kept myself spoiler free.

I’m not too far in (just saved the little sister bot in the desert), but I’m going to make some random predictions from what little I know.

1. Humans are already extinct.
2. Either the moon base is a lie or humans just died out there.
3. The machines were not an alien creation, but a human one and we basically killed ourselves.
4. The naked Sephiroth looking fuckers are the machines trying to resurrect the humans they killed off.
5. I will have to fight 9S at some point.

Well. Wish me luck. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The story is good. I think you will like it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just remember that the plot isn't about the mystery (despite how often it likes to use mystery as a plot device), but about the grand themes and character's mental states.

despite that these themes and character moments don't really become obvious until the third part. :smith:

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I just want a fishing sequel for NieR 3. Where it turns out you're a nanomachine injected into the last fertile male on earth, and the fish you caught were all healthy sperm so you've doomed mankind again. You perceived the human microphysiology as the earth's surface due to a bug when copying your AI subroutines.

Jackass makes a cameo appearance bombing the poo poo out of a clogged colon

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Holy gently caress, the maps in this game are poo poo.

Spending 20 min trying to get back the Machine Village because nothing is labeled and there is no depth perception on the map almost made me drop the game right there.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Millennials, folks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Holy gently caress, the maps in this game are poo poo.

Spending 20 min trying to get back the Machine Village because nothing is labeled and there is no depth perception on the map almost made me drop the game right there.

Did you unlock fast travel yet?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
You sure you're using the actual map map and not the mini preview

because you can get a pretty clear idea if something is up or down from the full map, abstractly quantized as it is

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Millennials, folks.

More like I have a case of the olds, and I'm not willing to deal with it. I want combat to be the skill tester, not map reading. In my few forays into the main map, I didn't even see any cardinal coordinates. Of course, I may have just been too impatient to notice them.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did you unlock fast travel yet?

Nope. Glad to know that's A Thing. I just did the first main game Goliath fight, and now I'm on travel for two weeks. So, no play until the end of the month.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You sure you're using the actual map map and not the mini preview

because you can get a pretty clear idea if something is up or down from the full map, abstractly quantized as it is

My issue is you shouldn't have to pause the game and go to the full map to get a depth indication for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

My issue is you shouldn't have to pause the game and go to the full map to get a depth indication for something.

What game has depth in the mini map?