Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A handful of people said something dumb on Facebook. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

this is another example of the left's addiction to outrage and further more..

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

why are you following the founder of quillette

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Poor judgement. Women in the public eye are sexually objectified enough and you are alienating your progressive support base by contributing to that. Be more measured in your social media posts. This is not a public statement, it is a private one. Have a firm word with your social media advisor or hire one if you are in danger of misjudged Trumpish outbursts like this.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

also out of 300-something comments on that facebook post maybe 8 are ~*~triggered feminists~*~ and the remaining 290 are people tagging their buddies and saying 'this comment section :xd:'

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
these are indeed disturbing times that we live in

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rust Martialis posted:

More like au pairless

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 7, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Victorian Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill 2018 has passed. But it's going to take two years to implement.

Nevertheless the landlord lobby is incensed:

quote:

“Property Investment Professionals of Australia are surprised by the urgency of the Andrews government to rush through this legislation,” chairman Ben Kingsley said. “We can’t help but feel it’s more political than suitable for the rental market.”

“These changes will only make the tenancy selection process more rigorous because all of the power lies with the renter,” said Mr Kingsley. “The net result is it’s going to be more expensive for renters to rent in Victoria.”

gently caress off.

quote:

The opposition spent much of Thursday attempting to water down rights for renters by attempting 52 amendments. The coalition argued the bill tipped the balance of rights too far in favour of renters.

It was speculated the swinging crossbenchers would side with the opposition, but the bill passed the upper house 21-17 without amendments.

It is understood the coalition is still considering whether to repeal the bill if it wins November’s state election.

Just add that to the list of reasons Liberals are scum. And for good measure:

quote:

The Real Estate Institute of Victoria was disappointed, but said it would work with the government to establish minimum standards and what modifications renters were allowed to make to their homes.

“We don’t think the act needs to be repealed, but if there is a change of government we will be speaking to them about making modifications to the act,” president Richard Simpson said.

He said he would lobby the coalition to remove or change the pets and modifications rules and reinstate the no reason notice to vacate.

The link includes a hilarious threat to withdraw houses from the rental market in response to the bill. Good, you were poo poo landlords anyway. And at that link, what really drives their position (my bold):

quote:

The Individual Housing Providers Association, another lobby group for property investors, has warned the reforms could drive landlords away from the private rental sector and towards short-term letting options.

“A landlord might simply say at this point, it’s actually easier to rent on Airbnb where you have more control over the social profile of your guests,” co-founder John Mills said. “It allows people to exercise more discretion.”

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

This is awesome news, but two years? What the gently caress?

I had a whole bunch of rusty nails ready to pound into this unblemished arctic-white wall. :(

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Nationalize the rental industry

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
They're actually pretty tame. Like, oh poo poo, you can only raise rent for no reason half as often.

Get hosed.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
My current rental is so full of hooks and nails on the walls that that sort of thing doesn’t matter. It is a world of difference from my last place where it was plain white walls and nothing allowed to be on the walls, no plants allowed because dirt might get on the carpet and a host of other really strict addendum to the standard lease. So it’s nice to know that in that case people would be allowed to hang a painting or two without risking the ire of the under-trained, all-powerful kid sized real estate agent.

The slow rollout is a bit poo poo but I’m definitely looking forward to get a dog again and not having to hide it every 6-12 months when they do their inspection.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The only worthwhile rental law is one where all land lords are killed. Or at least stoned in a public area.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep/08/scott-morrison-says-national-energy-guarantee-is-dead

Morrison is killing off NEG, as well as dumping Paris emissions targets, but not pulling out of the treaty. You can't have it both ways, Scotty.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-08/residents-furious-builder-sued-combustible-cladding/10214570

Meanwhile DODGEY BUILDERS are going out of business so they don't have to pay the cost of replacing cladding on high rise buildings that are unsafe.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Don Dongington posted:

By 2021 the left and right will have eaten themselves and the only thing left will be lovely centrists.
and me

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hello elijah, welcome

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

adam bandt is not the leader of the greens

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Woah Nelly

In Amazon's 'hellscape', workers face insecurity and crushing targets

When Amazon sent its Australian website live in December, the global e-commerce giant promised it would bring millions of low-price products to consumers and create thousands of local jobs.

"We hope to earn the trust and the custom of Australian shoppers in the years to come," its country manager, Rocco Braeuniger, said at the time.

By that stage Amazon - which this week followed Apple to become history's second-ever $US1 trillion company - had already quietly brought something else new and unique to our shores.

In Melbourne’s outer south-east, Amazon had opened its first local "fulfilment centre". This massive shed is where thousands of products wait to be plucked off shelves, packed into boxes and mailed to customers by workers.

They are almost all casual employees engaged not by Amazon, but through a third-party labour hire firm Adecco.

Amazon's efficiency and use of cutting-edge technology has empowered consumers around the world, giving them access to a virtually unlimited number of products at low prices, delivered to their door with the click of a mouse.

Some of Amazon's Australian workers have now described how the same technological precision that made Amazon founder Jeff Bezos the richest person on the planet (he is worth $US167 billion, according to Forbes) is also used to monitor and analyse each second of their working day.

Combined with insecure casual employment, the workers who spoke to Fairfax Media said they felt under unsustainable pressure to meet performance targets or they will lose their jobs.

"It’s a hellscape," said one of the workers, who spoke directly to Fairfax Media but declined to be identified for fear of losing their current jobs or damaging future work opportunities with labour hire firms.

"I’ve never worked anywhere as harsh, and it’s frustrating because the head of Amazon is the richest man on the planet."

The relationship between workers’ bargaining power, casualisation and Australia’s stubbornly low wages growth is a hot topic in policy circles.

Labour hire is commonly used in the warehousing industry, but National Union of Workers national secretary Tim Kennedy says it is "unprecedented" for the arrangement to make up 100 per cent of a workplace, which workers say is effectively the case at Amazon’s facility in Dandenong South, with only a handful of senior managers employed as staff.

Amazon started operating out of a second, larger, facility in Sydney's Moorebank last month, where it is understood workers are engaged on the same terms. "Amazon is introducing a very concerning employment practice to Australia," Mr Kennedy said.

The NUW says that casual workers at Amazon’s Melbourne warehouse got a starting pay rate of $25.36 an hour (before weekend or other penalties), which could increase once they had worked for several months. That compares with casual rates of between $30 and $37 an hour at nearby warehouses where workers have been able to negotiate collective agreements, the union says.

The minimum casual rate under the Road Transport and Distribution Award is $25.05 an hour.

'Success! Quality!'
Workers - or "associates", as Amazon calls them - have described a cult-like corporate culture at the warehouse, where each day begins with group stretching exercises and workers having to share an "Amazon success story".

Managers then lead a team chant, such as "Quality!", "Success!", "Amazon!", or "Prime!", sometimes while jumping in the air.

Warehouse pickers are issued with handheld electronic scanners that direct them to different aisles of the warehouse to collect products, and load them onto carts to be dispatched to customers.

As soon as one item is scanned, a solid bar on the bottom of the screen immediately starts to count down, showing how much time they have to reach their next item, which could be anywhere in the 24,000-square-metre warehouse.

If an item is not scanned within the required time, the worker’s "pick rate" is marked down.

At the centre in Dandenong South, pick rates are handed out to workers once or twice a day, and those falling below benchmark targets have to explain to their managers why.

"You always have KPIs [key performance indicators] but the line on that gun, I’ve never had that before," said one experienced warehouse worker.

You end up not being able to function because you’re so nervous and stressed out."

Workers told Fairfax Media they thought Amazon used casual employment and demanding KPIs to push workers’ productivity to the limits.

Another said workers who did not meet performance targets would leave for the day and then be sent a text message telling them their next shift had been cancelled.

"You notice people just disappear if they don’t reach their pick rates," a worker said. "You just have one bad day and you’re gone. Everyone works hard anyway but sometimes you have a bad day, and you could lose your job for that."

An Amazon spokeswoman said the company "set productivity targets objectively, based on previous performance levels achieved by our workforce", and that workers' performance was evaluated over a "long time".

But workers who spoke to Fairfax Media said there was a palpable fear of falling behind performance targets.

One worker said a colleague advised them not to drink water before or during a shift because going to the toilet outside designated break times would affect their pick rate.

"There’s a water cooler in the corner, but nobody uses it," they said.

Amazon said workers were allowed to use the toilet "whenever needed".

Two workers said employees were reluctant to report injuries for fear of not getting shifts on the physically demanding job, where workers are told to operate at "Amazon pace" - just below running speed - as they cover 20 kilometres on foot each shift.

"My manager told me [jokingly] we got a free gym membership with the job," one of the workers said.

Worker who spoke to Fairfax Media say there is a pool of about 200 workers engaged at the factory in Dandenong, with about three-quarters of those being recent migrants to Australia.

Amazon said it had a "mixture of permanent and agency staff" at its warehouses "to enable us to move quickly, access talent and manage variations in customer demand", but would not give specific numbers.

Documents lodged with the corporate regulator, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), show that Amazon’s retail business in Australia had just 89 staff at the end of December, including across management, sales, marketing, IT and engineering support.

The workers who spoke to Fairfax Media said it was common for shifts to be cancelled at short notice depending on how many orders had been placed, leaving workers expecting to work five shifts a week having to survive with only two.

Meanwhile, managers routinely called staff at 7.30am and asked them to come in to the factory as soon as possible when it needed more people to fulfil the day's orders, they said.

mazon said it was not usual practice to cancel shifts at short notice, but that as a new business it needed to "manage significant variations in customer demand".

Amazon's spokeswoman said the company had a culture based on safety and a positive working environment. A spokeswoman for Adecco said it took the health and safety of its "associates" seriously, and that their welfare was its "number one priority".

ACTU president Michele O'Neil said: "The use of labour hire to deny people fair pay rises and rights at work is not new, but Amazon’s behaviour is particularly outrageous."

The NUW's Mr Kennedy said that people "should have a job that provides leave when you are sick, financial security to get a home loan and the ability to collectively bargain with your workmates to improve wages and condition".

Questions about Amazon’s treatment of workers have followed it as it has expanded across the world, and in July staff at warehouses in Germany, Spain and Poland walked off the job to protest their pay and conditions.

Amazon says its average hourly wage for full-time warehouse workers in the US is more than $US15 ($21) an hour.

Michael Rawling, a workplace law expert and senior lecturer at the University of Technology Sydney, said that while workers at Amazon's factory had the right to bargain with Adecco, they may not be able to access Amazon, the wealthiest and most influential company in the arrangement.

"It becomes very difficult when there’s a fragmented workplace and there’s casual employees working in more precarious circumstances," Mr Rawling said.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/workplace/in-amazon-s-hellscape-workers-face-insecurity-and-crushing-targets-20180907-p502ao.html

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bell jar posted:

adam bandt is not the leader of the greens

:auspol: incoming, obviously

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Box of Bunnies posted:

:auspol: incoming, obviously

lee rhiannon marches into the party room draped in the soviet flag with a list of names

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

GoldStandardConure posted:

lee rhiannon marches into the party room draped in the soviet flag with a list of names

Once the dust is settled, we somehow have Larissa Waters as leader

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Box of Bunnies posted:

Once the dust is settled, we somehow have Larissa Waters as leader

in this timeline it would probably be SHY

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

Workers - or "associates", as Amazon calls them - have described a cult-like corporate culture at the warehouse, where each day begins with group stretching exercises and workers having to share an "Amazon success story".

Managers then lead a team chant, such as "Quality!", "Success!", "Amazon!", or "Prime!", sometimes while jumping in the air.

Normal things from a normal company.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
that sounds like the scene in Champions where the evil coach makes his kids chant WIN WIN WIN before a game

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zenithe posted:

Normal things from a normal company.

Pretty certain Walmart has that creepy cultism going, as does Apple, etc. Really, you can generalize it as most businesses.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/arwon/status/1038218501406650368

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Just wanna remind everyone that the other Leunig is much better

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-27/cartoonist-mary-leunig-talks-politics-family-and-brother-michael/7880200?pfmredir=sm

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:hellyeah: she is

quote:

The torture of corporate figures is a favourite motif for Mary Leunig.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Really? Educated women with their own incomes are less likely to become baby factories? How dare they!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This has no easy answer

quote:

A female staff member, who slept with five male students while she was working at a prestigious NSW school, claims she was blackmailed into having sex with them.

The 25-year-old, who worked at The Armidale School in the state’s north, told the NSW District Court the students had threatened to report her to the school if she didn’t continue sleeping with them.

“At the time I was going along with what I thought was going to keep them happy,” the woman said before acting judge Christopher Armitage on Friday. “I was treated like dirt.”

In a series of claims that were challenged, she alleged she had been raped by one of the teenagers in her room on two separate occasions, although no one has been charged over those allegations.

At one stage she texted a friend about the alleged duress she was experiencing from one student: “He says that if I don’t let him into my room, he’ll tell everyone about me.”

The woman, previously a budding teacher, pleaded guilty in April to six counts of sexual intercourse with a person under her care and three counts of aggravated sexual intercourse.

The behaviour occurred over several months during 2014 and 2015 with students between 15 and 17 years old.

The woman was suspended in September 2015 after the activity was mandatorily reported.

“I would like to say I’m remorseful of my actions and I apologise to those who were involved,” the woman said under examination by her barrister, Greg Heathcote.

“The situation got out of hand and I didn’t deal with it in a way that I should’ve.

“I was the adult in the situation. At the time I felt very trapped and isolated."

The woman exchanged thousands of text messages with the teenagers about their liaisons during that time.

Messages between the students were read out in court, including one boy saying to another, “you rooting that fat slut tonight?”

Another message from one male student to the staff member said that he and his friend wanted to put her “on the spit”.

The court heard the woman sent messages to some of the boys, telling them of her concerns that she could lose her job and go to jail.

Judge Armitage heard that in April 2015, in response to one of those messages, one student texted another, "haha slut".

"I'm saying I got raped," that student also texted.

"Yeah, f--- the c---, we'll all say it," replied the other.

But Crown prosecutor Max Pincott put to the woman that she was lying about having sex with the students under duress.

“You have made up this story of bullying, blackmail and extortion by these boys simply to prevent you from being embarrassed in front of your family,” Mr Pincott said.

The woman, who broke down several times during her evidence, denied this.

Mr Pincott read out one text message the woman had sent to a pupil, saying, “that was crazy, I am not like that, I don’t know what overcame me, my sex drive.”

He said the text message suggested it was her idea to have sex with the student, to which the woman replied, “that’s how it could be seen.”

In another text message exchange in February 2015 one of the students wrote, “I promise I wont say anything, all the boys think you’re nice as f---”.

The woman replied, “oh great, thank you, I shouldn’t put this on you, it’s a bit hectic.”

Mr Pincott questioned why the woman sent another message to a boy saying, “I can’t wait to cuddle you tonight.”

“I was just trying to keep the situation at bay, under control,” she replied.

Mr Pincott also raised text exchanges in which the woman had refused sex without consequence.

“Despite what you say about the threats from these boys you were strong enough to resist the threats which were expressed from (a particular student), weren’t you?” he said, to which the woman agreed.

The woman said that at one stage, a student had sex with her in her room without her consent.

“After I moved away from him he had his arm around me and proceeded to kiss me,” she said.

She then said that she had brought the same boy back to her room on another occasion: “It was to discuss what he’d been saying … but yes he came to my room.”

“He, according to your evidence, raped you a second time,” Mr Pincott said, which the woman said was correct.

Mr Pincott said the woman hadn’t gone to the school, teachers or her friends over the alleged assault.

“No but I should’ve,” she replied.

Mr Pincott asked why the woman apologised to that student, among others.

“I should’ve just said no and asked for him to leave,” she said.

The woman admitted to exchanging Facebook messages with another student, who suggested the pair partake in “somersaults”, referring to sex.

“My relationship with (the student) was a very different situation than the other boys,” she said under cross-examination, adding that she and that particular student were very familiar with each other.

“It doesn’t make it right, it doesn’t make it OK,” she said.

“You did have choices all along, didn’t you?” Mr Pincott said.

“Choices I didn’t take,” the woman replied.

Judge Armitage lifted suppression orders prohibiting the name, location and type of the school but kept the order surrounding the identity of the staff member in place.

Parents of the boys involved had written to the court, urging for the school to be named, claiming educators needed to be held accountable for their failure to properly care for the teenagers.

In a letter to the school community on Friday, headmaster Murray Guest said the school had “worked hard to support all parties involved” and conducted rigorous checks on prospective employees.

“I sincerely regret that these measures were not enough to prevent criminal conduct in this instance, and that it was not brought to our attention sooner,” he said.

Judge Armitage said it would be a difficult exercise in sentencing the woman.

“There are emotional factors pulling in both directions,” he said.

The woman is due to be sentenced on Monday.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
In a rare sensible move

quote:

The BBC has accepted it gets coverage of climate change “wrong too often” and told staff: “You do not need a ‘denier’ to balance the debate.”

In a briefing note sent to all staff warning them to be aware of false balance, the corporation has offered a training course on how to report on global warming. The move follows a series of apologies and censures for failing to challenge climate sceptics during interviews, including Nigel Lawson.

The briefing note, obtained by the website Carbon Brief, was sent on Thursday by Fran Unsworth, the BBC’s director of news and current affairs. It includes a statement of BBC editorial policy that begins: “Climate change has been a difficult subject for the BBC, and we get coverage of it wrong too often.”

It then states: “Manmade climate change exists: If the science proves it we should report it.” In the section warning on false balance it says: “To achieve impartiality, you do not need to include outright deniers of climate change in BBC coverage, in the same way you would not have someone denying that Manchester United won 2-0 last Saturday. The referee has spoken.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/07/bbc-we-get-climate-change-coverage-wrong-too-often

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Leunig's always been a piece of poo poo. He just no longer tries to hide it as much as he used to.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Leunig's always been a piece of poo poo. He just no longer tries to hide it as much as he used to.

It's an old comic (from 2000) that is doing the rounds now for some reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And apparently that poo poo was still too loving subtle for a lot of people back then.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just got an ad on YouTube which was nothing but that Tory Story video from Insiders, paid for by the United Australia Party. What's Palmer up to?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1038312253819211776?s=19

thanks willus

thillus

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
And now they've sent Laura Tingle to write a pro Morrison piece.

Scott Morrison has promised us change, but do his colleagues even know what it means?

The things one chooses to remember … and would rather forget.

On Friday, Tony Abbott was remembering that it was five years to the day since the election of the Abbott government on September 7, 2013.

Only a pedant might pause to point out, to the uninitiated, that in the terminology the Coalition uses about the Labor government, that would be the "Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison government" he was talking about.

On Thursday, the bloke actually heading the Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison government, Prime Minister Scott Morrison, was choosing to remember the legacy of the founder of the Liberal Party, Sir Robert Menzies, in a speech in Albury.

Coming from someone who, three weeks ago, wasn't actually expecting to be Prime Minister, it was refreshing to hear him say he hadn't come to town with a huge to-do list. But neither, he noted, had Bob Menzies.

"He didn't come with a to-do list of stuff", the Prime Minister said, "and I haven't come to you today with a to-do list of stuff".

"All the journalists who were hoping I was going to make 17 policy announcements — and all the forms are out there and you can pore over all the documents, and there's Morrison's manifest — no, it's not happening today. Sorry to disappoint you."

It was also refreshing to hear our latest Prime Minister accentuating the positive (even if a pedant might point out this rather undermined Mr Abbott's claim to have ruled over the past five years in Australian politics).

"Robert Menzies brought [the various groups who came together to form the Liberal Party] here to unite them about what they believed in," Mr Morrison said.

"Because you can't just be about what you're opposed to. You've got to be about what you're for: as a country, as a political party, as an individual, as a family.

"It's about what you're for, not just what you're against."

After all the unpleasantness of the last few weeks, it was genuinely good to hear such things.

Australians will tell you they want to know what politicians are going to do for the country, not how they are going to attack each other.

PM's capacity for pragmatism shouldn't be underestimated
But let us be frank and note that the things that have been making headlines this week have been more about what divides the Liberal Party, and the ongoing cost of collective madness of recent times, than what unites it.

There might have been news of the best economic data in six years, but it didn't quite rate against the accusations of bullying and the succession of leaks, paybacks, and retribution that drove the news cycle this week.

Mr Morrison told his Albury audience that he had come to talk about "what's in every heart and in every mind of my team", as if it might be obvious to casual observers that his team shares a unity of purpose and a clear idea of where they are heading.

"Let's love all Australians!" he finished his speech.

"Let's love this wonderful country. That's what I believe. That's what you can expect from me. That's what you can demand from me.

"That's what you can hold me to account for and all of my team. So we're just going to get on with it."

As many have noted, Mr Morrison and his new deputy and Treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, have the advantage over many of the previous prime ministers installed mid to late term by the party room in the past decade of having clean hands in the whole business.

Mr Morrison's capacity for pragmatism — such as dumping a rise in the pension age to 70, thus reversing his previous strenuously held position as treasurer — should not be underestimated.

And he may be able to punch through better with messages than Malcolm Turnbull. We can only wait and see on that.

But both of those skills will be up against two negatives in the electorate: the leadership coup of two weeks ago, and the continued blood-letting that lies behind leaks for and against Mr Turnbull, against Peter Dutton and, occasionally, against Mr Morrison.

There is also still considerable bitterness about Mathias Cormann — as well as Mr Dutton — among the Dutton backers who have not ended up with the glories of victory that they expected.

The question continues to be asked: was he conned about Mr Dutton's numbers or was he duplicitous?

For a man who had developed such a reputation as an honest broker the cloud is a devastating one, not least because he remains Leader of the Government in the Senate, where any remaining hard bargaining of this parliamentary term will have to take place.

All the leaking and counter-leaking may exhaust itself — in terms of new revelations.

But Mr Dutton, in particular, is likely to find himself the star of Question Time when Parliament returns next week, both over the au pair affair and ongoing constitutional questions about his eligibility to sit in Parliament.

The Libs have a problem with counting numbers
But before the roadshow moves on, it's worth pausing to remember aspects of an earlier Liberal coup, lest it contain some lessons which clearly weren't learned by the instigators of the most recent shemozzle, which makes them all the more important to remember now.

Let's go back to 2009, and the events that led to Mr Abbott becoming prime minister after winning the leadership from Mr Turnbull by one vote, much to the shock of his own colleagues, after a stumblebum run at the job by Joe Hockey.

The Sydney Morning Herald's Peter Hartcher reported at the time how the man "who had masterminded the coup to destroy Malcolm Turnbull was Nick Minchin; the godfather of the Liberals' conservative wing" had walked across the party room to a shocked Joe Hockey and said, "if I'd known how it was going to go, I would have slung you another 10 votes".

Hartcher noted that: "Minchin had not expected Abbott to win. Nobody had expected Abbott to win. Not even Abbott. Contrary to widespread impressions in the media, Minchin did not even want Abbott to win."

Sound familiar?

Apparently, people in the Liberal Party have a problem with counting numbers.

The plays from that time were all too familiar in Mr Turnbull's downfall this time, including the mass resignations of frontbenchers to up the pressure on the leader.

And here is just one fact you may have forgotten from 2009 that is worth remembering.

The first three frontbenchers to desert Mr Turnbull in late November 2009 were senators Mitch Fifield, Mathias Cormann and Brett Mason (who left the Senate in 2015).

Mr Morrison has promised us change.

Do some of his colleagues even know what it means?

Laura Tingle is 7.30's chief political correspondent.

Her Quarterly Essay Follow the Leader: Democracy and the rise of the Strongman will be released on September 17.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

3 Votes.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
liberals are getting smashed in wagga wagga, looks like theyll finish third on primaries

swings of nearly 40% in some booths

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/1038359027841810432

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1038360821825331200

been liberal for 61 years

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
What's the Indy candidate like - votes 95% with the Liberals but disagrees on water allocations or something?

• Locked thread