Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The solution to needing valve pockets on a piston is not CUT THEM YOURSELF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Nonsense, just use a die grinder instead of an angle grinder

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Slavvy posted:

That isn't the first time someone's died there, albeit not explosively.
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Mechanical Failures: That isn't the first time someone's died there, albeit not explosively

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Mechanical Failures: That isn't the first time someone's died there, albeit not explosively

Seconded.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Wow how could that have happened I have no idea

Sure looks like someone shot a buillet of roughly .308 or flathead screwdriver proportions into my stabilator
[We accept payment in cash or credit]

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2018

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:catstare:

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
That sure looks like a bullet hit given how much paint has flaked off (high energy impact), and the exit side could be vertical because the projectile has started to tumble.

So yeah :catstare: is right.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Sure looks like someone shot a buillet of roughly .308 or flathead screwdriver proportions into my stabilator

If you have even a vague idea of where that may have happened, please let your FSDO know. gently caress rednecks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Having seen ballistic damage to numerous automobiles and buildings, I agree (though can’t comment on caliber).

This was in flight, or parked? Any idea, if you can say?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry I forgot to mention the important thing that the first picture is the entrance and is on top of the stabilator, the second picture is the exit from the bottom of the stabilator. I am not a ballistics expert but I don't think he got shot from the plane above him. Yesterday I was pretty sure it was a flathead screwdriver and the big hammer from someone who decided they didn't like him but I think that should have bent the surrounding metal more so I'm back to assuming it was a meteor

E: Pilot noticed it on preflight so could have been any time between then and his previous preflight, but considering above I assume ground
I would be taking it a lot less lightheartedly if there was any reason to suspect he was shot in flight

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 8, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When parked, is the stabilator is hanging down? Is there any other part of the airframe ahead of the tail that would be in the way of trajectory?

I have my doubts that a screwdriver+hammer would chip the paint that far out on the entrance side.

Do people hunt near the airport, perhaps? A missed shot nearing spent velocity might do that; the slug would be nearby, though.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 8, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Dumbasses do shoot guns straight up, and those bullets come down eventually

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

PainterofCrap posted:

When parked, is the stabilator is hanging down? Is there any other part of the airframe ahead of the tail that would be in the way of trajectory?

I have my doubts that a screwdriver+hammer would chip the paint that far out on the entrance side.

Do people hunt near the airport, perhaps? A missed shot nearing spent velocity might do that; the slug would be nearby, though.

This is roughly its resting orientation with trajectory. The exit is indeed aft of the entrance as indicated.

Don't know anything about its home airport

I dunno about the paint chipping, I'd think a bullet would be likely to chip less paint considering the small amount of energy it actually imparts to the surface, relative to say, banging a bunch on it with a screwdriver, but I don't know if I buy the screwdriver either because you'd think the metal around the entrance would be bent inwards more.

The Door Frame posted:

Dumbasses do shoot guns straight up, and those bullets come down eventually

Terminal velocity on bullets isn't that fantastic if mythbusters is to be believed, I don't buy that someone shot it straight up and it managed to penetrate through the top and bottom. Pilot said he looked everywhere for a bullet and didn't find anything, I don't know if he thought to check for chipping on the ground if he was parked on concrete.

I think I have to default to assuming it was a bullet. What I didn't think to check was whether or not the bullet actually penetrated out through the bottom, there's a small possibility it didn't make it all the way through and rebounded back inside the stabilator, but that's kind of a long shot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

but that's kind of a long shot.

I mean, look where we are already. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
737 frames are shipped via rail car from Wichita to Renton, wa and several planes per year are shot up

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
My wife's car started having a mold and moisture problem in the trunk some years ago. While taking the wet headliner down a bullet fell out. It had come down and penetrated the roof but was caught by the insulation/headliner. I hadn't noticed the hole because it was right by the roof rack. It makes me feel a little better about the occasional gunshot we hear in town to think they are just going up and not straight at someone. The point being if a falling bullet will penetrate one layer of steel roof it will probably do two layers of aircraft skin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BraveUlysses posted:

737 frames are shipped via rail car from Wichita to Renton, wa and several planes per year are shot up

What do they do about it? Just patch it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BraveUlysses posted:

And sometimes a few wind up in a river in Montana.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That hole seems pretty ragged for a bullet and a bullet falling at terminal velocity probably wouldn't make more than a dent, screwdriver sabotage seems more likely.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

That hole seems pretty ragged for a bullet and a bullet falling at terminal velocity probably wouldn't make more than a dent, screwdriver sabotage seems more likely.

A bullet falling at terminal velocity can do a lot of damage. There was a story a couple years back about a kid killed in church by a stray bullet that hit him after crashing through the ceiling.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/falling-bullet-kills-4-year-old-boy-in-dekalb/241790803

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Deteriorata posted:

A bullet falling at terminal velocity can do a lot of damage. There was a story a couple years back about a kid killed in church by a stray bullet that hit him after crashing through the ceiling.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/falling-bullet-kills-4-year-old-boy-in-dekalb/241790803

Unless the person who fired that bullet was standing just outside the church, that's not a bullet falling at terminal velocity, that's a bullet in a ballistic arc that's still carrying substantial horizontal velocity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Could someone working on a hanger roof or lighting etc drop something long and heavy like a prybar that would punch through?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Could someone working on a hanger roof or lighting etc drop something long and heavy like a prybar that would punch through?

Probably?

We have a shaft that's 300 feet straight down where I work and the claim of the tour guides is that a screwdriver dropped from that height will penetrate steel (who knows how thick a steel sheet and obviously this requires it land point down). I am skeptical myself but I assume someone did the math. :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

Probably?

We have a shaft that's 300 feet straight down where I work and the claim of the tour guides is that a screwdriver dropped from that height will penetrate steel (who knows how thick a steel sheet and obviously this requires it land point down). I am skeptical myself but I assume someone did the math. :shrug:

I have some steel shim-stock that i can penetrate with a ballpoint pen

anyway i did the math for you, assuming a 250-gram screwdriver with a handle 25mm in diameter that falls without tumbling, and i even worked it out with drag (Cd = 0.82, long cylinder). The terminal velocity is 41m/s after a 4.4 second fall, for a kinetic energy of 210J, or about 30% less energy than a .22LR bullet. Comparable to an old pistol cartridge from like the 1890s.

So yeah, it'll go through thin sheet metal and it'll kill you if it lands on your head, but it's not like gonna blast a hole in the roof of a tank of anything

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 8, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's legal in Tijuana, did you know that?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wouldn’t that stabilator be made of aluminum? And a falling bullet tumbling, made of perhaps lead but also could be steel core or jacketed. Does that change anything?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

anyway i did the math for you, assuming a 250-gram screwdriver with a handle 25mm in diameter that falls without tumbling, and i even worked it out with drag (Cd = 0.82, long cylinder). The terminal velocity is 41m/s after a 4.4 second fall, for a kinetic energy of 210J, or about 30% less energy than a .22LR bullet. Comparable to an old pistol cartridge from like the 1890s.

So yeah, it'll go through thin sheet metal and it'll kill you if it lands on your head, but it's not like gonna blast a hole in the roof of a tank of anything

lol physics nerd

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sagebrush posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this math. I guess I'm comparing the the energy from a falling .22LR round versus a perfect falling screwdriver?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I went and googled a bunch of formula calculators, they are indicating that a 22LR falling at terminal velocity carries about 9.6 joules, a .308 carries about 52 joules, a .50 cal carries about 418 joules, all of those discounting the possibility of tumbling interfering with airflow. I don't know how this translates to the possibility of punching through two layers of what is probably .040 aluminum.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

This dude took the exit a little too fast and hit the outside cement guardrail and somehow that led to his car bursting into flames. What the gently caress?

https://giant.gfycat.com/AliveScratchyElectriceel.webm

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Under the bonnet you have electricity, gasoline, oil, and all sorts of totally-not-flammable* plastics.

It is genuinely impressive to me that more front-end accidents don't result in engine bay fires.

*: Unless you get them hot enough by, say, exposing them to a gasoline fire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Inflammable means flammable? What a country.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

IPCRESS posted:

Under the bonnet you have electricity, gasoline, oil, and all sorts of totally-not-flammable* plastics.

It is genuinely impressive to me that more front-end accidents don't result in engine bay fires.

also it was a chrysler, not entirely surprising it was in poor mechanical condition

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Inflammable means flammable? What a country.

And flammable means flammable too!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IPCRESS posted:

Mostly because it's been common place since the late 1980s to have cutoff mechanisms build into the engine control system somewhere.

For instance: Audi's for the 1980s trigger the fuel pump 5 seconds per spark. So if you have an accident significant enough to cut the engine, the pump shuts off.

Most modern cars have a fuel cutoff linked to the air bag control module, so if the bags deploy, it disables the fuel pump.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I thought most cars relied on an inertial cut-off switch to kill the fuel pump, one that triggers at a certain g-force and is resetable? It seems to me it would suck to be in a minor collision that caused you to not be able to pull over to the side of the road

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

I thought most cars relied on an inertial cut-off switch to kill the fuel pump, one that triggers at a certain g-force and is resetable? It seems to me it would suck to be in a minor collision that caused you to not be able to pull over to the side of the road

Some of them reset if you recycle the key.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

What do they do about it? Just patch it?

Non-conforming condition: repair per blah blah blah spec yup

Significantly easier than patching a hole on a 787 :v:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BraveUlysses posted:

Non-conforming condition: repair per blah blah blah spec yup

Significantly easier than patching a hole on a 787 :v:

Just slap a doubler on it it'll be fiiiiine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Looks like a Stratus, which have the battery in the left front wheelwell area.