Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://www.cbc.ca/books/david-chariandy-s-novel-brother-optioned-for-film-with-clement-virgo-at-the-helm-1.4814237

They're gonna make a film of Brother. I'm excited to see it, though it will be hard pressed to live up to the book. And given that Chariandy took a decade to get the feel just right, the people behind the film have a hell of a tall order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I need some better browsing habits, I have extremely poisoned my chrome headline feed

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The day I let someone take my Conan the Barbarian replica broadsword away is the day I have forsworn Crom.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timby posted:

Spent some time at the UW Hospital the past few days after phone calls with my mom and my ex left me in a place where I was acting erratically, walking around the parking lot and forming thoughts of harming myself; my neighbor called the police for a welfare check, and after sitting me down in my apartment, they took me to the ER on Wednesday afternoon. I was admitted to the hospital--just general medicine, not the psych ward--and got stabilized, got home earlier today, feeling a lot better, especially after I allowed a cop to confiscate all narcotics from my apartment and all sharp objects outside of one chef's knife and then a bunch of butter and steak knives that are duller than dishwater. But all in all ... well, talked to three medical professionals who all agreed, and got me to admit, that my relationships with my mother and my ex are toxic, that I am a victim, that my ex keeping my dog from me is bullshit, but cutting them out completely might be the price to pay to regain some sanity.

I think I had the mental break a whole bunch of you were expecting me to finally have after everything that's gone on this year.

It'll all get better.

:unsmith:

Glad to hear you’re okay, and I’m constantly surprised at your optimism in the face of overwhelming bullshit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:same:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is a real article. This is not a satirical image.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Glad to hear you’re okay, and I’m constantly surprised at your optimism in the face of overwhelming bullshit.

I tend to look at it less as overwhelming bullshit and more that simply it's been a year of a lot of loss for me, and that happens; it doesn't make me special, and surviving it doesn't make me a better or worse person. It simply makes me a person. I'm back to only having about $15 to my name, so I'm going to use some laundry money for a bus ride to the grocery store, buy some popcorn to make in my 30-year-old air popper, and then I'm watching some poo poo like Dredd or something like that tonight.

Because even though I'm alone, in the sense of living in this giant-rear end apartment with my landlord breathing down my neck for rent that I can't pay and Charter threatening to turn my Internet off for a past-due bill that I can't pay, I'm not alone, in that even my neighbor across the hall, who basically is a walking, talking reefer madman, could recognize that I wasn't well and that I needed some help. Same with me allowing the police officer who drove me home from the hospital to confiscate dangerous items from the apartment (condition of my discharge, that some sort of third party be accountable to the psych team about getting that poo poo out of my place, and I wasn't asking any of my friends to leave work early for something like that). I'll get my knives and kitchen shears and the like back after some psych follow-ups over the next few weeks.

poo poo happens to us all, and it doesn't define us. What does is how we respond. Simple as that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1038120746046779393

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tell the cops to get your stolen dog back

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

EIEIO?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby I hope you cut those fuckers from your life. I’m glad things are maybe looking up though dude

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Timby I hope you cut those fuckers from your life. I’m glad things are maybe looking up though dude

You know, considering the way I've gone at you in the past ... I both respect and appreciate that, Mike.

My mom is already cut off, now. My ex will be complicated because of finances but I don't need that toxicity, either, as much as I love her and my dog.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lurdiak posted:

This is a whole sub genre of capitalist apologism, super common

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Nicholas Kristof going back to the well, eh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

there's a giant Stand Up To Cancer telethon thing on TV tonight and I can't help but wonder:

What's the point of donating to cancer research if all of the research is going to result in drugs that are basically going to bankrupt whoever gets cancer, assuming they have a way to get that drug without the necessary money? Like, i imagine there is probably quite a bit of money in cancer research at this point and maybe we should have telethons about getting affordable access to said healthcare?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DC Murderverse posted:

there's a giant Stand Up To Cancer telethon thing on TV tonight and I can't help but wonder:

What's the point of donating to cancer research if all of the research is going to result in drugs that are basically going to bankrupt whoever gets cancer, assuming they have a way to get that drug without the necessary money? Like, i imagine there is probably quite a bit of money in cancer research at this point and maybe we should have telethons about getting affordable access to said healthcare?

Administrative fees.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DC Murderverse posted:

The telethons should just be pharmaceutical and insurance company CEOs, lobbyists, and legislators being sent to the guillotine.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The telethon should expose the bullshit charities like Susan Komen and other trash that only gives a tiny % to actual research

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

banned from Starbucks posted:

The telethon should expose the bullshit charities like Susan Komen and other trash that only gives a tiny % to actual research

It takes a lot to make a more corrupt, cynical, and hypocritical NFL promotional partnership than with the Department of Defense but the Komen Foundation found a way

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

DC Murderverse posted:

Subsidising pink fighter jets and stuff

Also the sooner they can manufacture those drugs the sooner the ten thousand year patent or whatever it's up to now runs out and everyone outside the US can make 'em for like four cents

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Well, this was an unexpected source for a Groundhog's Day reference.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just got a surprise email from a friend of mine; it's a ticket to a screening of The Wrath of Khan at the beautifully restored Orpheum Theater here in Madison in two weeks, followed by a Q&A with William Shatner. The subject line: "With love, brother." The event is two weeks from now, on the 21st. Now, this friend of mine has no idea of the poo poo going on with my ex, about my hospitalizations, about my work issues, about anything ... he just decided to get me a front-row balcony seat for this.

I've never seen Wrath of Khan in a theater before.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Timby posted:

Spent some time at the UW Hospital the past few days after phone calls with my mom and my ex left me in a place where I was acting erratically, walking around the parking lot and forming thoughts of harming myself; my neighbor called the police for a welfare check, and after sitting me down in my apartment, they took me to the ER on Wednesday afternoon. I was admitted to the hospital--just general medicine, not the psych ward--and got stabilized, got home earlier today, feeling a lot better, especially after I allowed a cop to confiscate all narcotics from my apartment and all sharp objects outside of one chef's knife and then a bunch of butter and steak knives that are duller than dishwater. But all in all ... well, talked to three medical professionals who all agreed, and got me to admit, that my relationships with my mother and my ex are toxic, that I am a victim, that my ex keeping my dog from me is bullshit, but cutting them out completely might be the price to pay to regain some sanity.

I think I had the mental break a whole bunch of you were expecting me to finally have after everything that's gone on this year.

It'll all get better.

man, i just wanna give you a hug and make you a nice meal

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

man, i just wanna give you a hug and make you a nice meal

So did the neighbor down the hall who called the police on me. We're breaking out his grill tomorrow when the weather is nicer and just spending the afternoon relaxing together.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Haha, fantastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Of course Elon Musk's space ambitions are going to thwarted for the dumbest of all possible reasons

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanpequin/status/1038249917691510784

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
yooooooooo First Reformed tho :worship:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just saw this movie called UFO that came out this month. Was mainly interested in it after seeing how bad the movie poster looked. An interesting story about aliens and ufos and the ufo is only in it for like 7s and its really about looking into a strange beeps on a radio system being decoded into coordinates.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6290798/ posted:

Derek (Alex Sharp) a brilliant college student, haunted by a childhood UFO sighting, believes that mysterious sightings reported at multiple airports across the United States are UFO's. With the help of his girlfriend, Natalie (Ella Purnell), and his advanced mathematics professor, Dr. Hendricks (X-Files' Gillian Anderson), Derek races to unravel the mystery with FBI special agent Franklin Ahls (David Strathairn) on his heels.

Here is the squish face movie poster.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Clear your minds, watch this video, and try to figure out who the director is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZxoko_HC0

Couldn't figure it out? It's Peter loving Farrely

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

DC Murderverse posted:

Clear your minds, watch this video, and try to figure out who the director is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZxoko_HC0

Couldn't figure it out? It's Peter loving Farrely

That's amazing.

We're currently watching the extended lotrs so that trailer was really a good refresher of Viggos range. In for fat viggo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
God drat NJ transit sucks

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Local indie theater has this on tomorrow :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Timby posted:

It'll all get better.

Insurance I hope

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That judgment is just wonderful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question: a while ago I read some articles - variously on Deadline, the BBC etc. - about prominent actors and directors who had pushed back against the #MeToo movement and one thing I noticed was that many of them were either French or active in French cinema, an example being Catherine Deneuve.

Obviously I'm not seeking to denigrate French cinema in particular; I know there's a lot of activity in France against harassment and assault in the entertainment business, as there is elsewhere. But is there any reason why this reaction seems to have been pronounced in France, at least enough that it's invited comment?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The French are really horny and chauvinistic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really don't have enough information to make an ironclad statement but everything I know about France through their media that I regularly consume, and everything I know about famous french actors and directors through their films and interviews and way younger actresses they married, leads me to believe that France's views on courtship, consent and female sexuality are somewhat... Italian.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Apparently Edgar wright is working on a documentary for a band called the Sparks, and he just put out a playlist for Twitter.

https://open.spotify.com/user/edgar_wright/playlist/46TVLiwHDx5mJRBbSiM2aR?nd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean have you seen Repulsion? They just used her audition footage to make a movie

• Locked thread