Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lawman 0 posted:

yeah I'm not a dick and I got the empathic achievement

:hai::hf::hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
So while I was at Dragoncon this weekend, I met Benedict Wong (who voiced Alex Yu), and he shook my hand while saying "we're going to shake things up, like old times" in Alex's voice. :feelsgood:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Duncan Doenitz posted:

So while I was at Dragoncon this weekend, I met Benedict Wong (who voiced Alex Yu), and he shook my hand while saying "we're going to shake things up, like old times" in Alex's voice. :feelsgood:

did you ask him why he didn't voice him in mooncrash

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
"I had this side gig going on, sorry"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

General Morden posted:

did you ask him why he didn't voice him in mooncrash
iirc he mentioned somewhere it was a scheduling conflict

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

His voice acting was one of my favourite parts of the original game.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Started Mooncrash and I feel like an idiot. What is the point of the Control Modules?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

genericnick posted:

Started Mooncrash and I feel like an idiot. What is the point of the Control Modules?

Sometimes power in a zone is out or the tram in a zone isn't working. Control Modules can be used to bring them back online. You need two modules to restore power and one to restore tram access. The basement of the tower in the middle of the crater has a room for the modules of all three zones, while the tram station in each zone has its control module near the tram entrance.

When you start a run, it might be worth going to the security station in the crater tower basement and checking to see if anywhere you go is missing power. Then you can go to the power room and pull out the modules from a place you don't need to be and put them into the place you do need to be. If you want to do a run where you need to go everywhere it may be worth bringing a pair of spare modules just in case.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This game runs barely 30fps on 8700K and GTX 970 at 2560x1600. The game looks like crap and runs like crap. Even pubg looks better and runs better these days!

Edit: I'm mainly wondering because TPU benchmarked the game at 65FPS on 2560x1440: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Prey/4.html on very high - while mine runs around 70FPS on 2560x1600 now when I turned textures and everything to low and disabled occlusions & reflections.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 8, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it may be constantly streaming textures into the last 0.5GB of VRAM on the 970 (it's a quirk specifically on that card)

add
code:
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 2048
or
code:
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 3072
as the last line to C:\Users\insert your username here\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\user.cfg

this will be cleared if you touch the options screen again and will have to be put in again, so apply it after putting in your desired graphics settings.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Prey’s on Cryengine, it’s run smooth as butter since it’s been released, and on reasonable hardware. Choose better hardware.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Remember when the multiplayer mode was going to release "late summer"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

General Morden posted:

turns out cryengine is kind of bad for multiplayer

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cryengine is good for shooters and bad for, say, Space-Sim MMOs with a persistent universe.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

General Morden posted:

they didn't mention which summer

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I haven't been paying attention to the multiplayer mode before now but now I'm imagining Vijay and Andrius teaming up like a typhon copy of F.E.A.R.3's multiplayer and I, I really really want it now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pretty sure it’s just a prop hunt trifle

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I know now, but think fantasize about the possibilities

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

But I want to be a mimic now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So Valve's relasing a new feature of Steamplay, Proton, which is basically their own WINE wrapper to let you play windows games on linux. It's a bit more successful than default WINE for a lot of games.

So the Prey demo finally works, and I'm enjoying it tons, but it's crashy as all gently caress. I'm sure a lot of that is Proton/WINE, but a quick googling tells me that a lot of my crashes (re-entering old areas & saving) are actually found in the 1.0 retail release, later to be patched out. So my question thread: is it worth holding a torch for Prey and getting it at the next steam sale, or is the demo's instability correctly indicative that I'm never playing this game on Linux? Anyone who's putzed about in the demo care to verify it's stability?

edit:vv Some poo poo works flawlessly. Crashing 1/hour is fine. Crashing 80% of the time the game saves is fustrating. I'll take 'playable with patience', I know perfectly well the boat that I'm in.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 9, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
friend, you're running a demo of a game in a box that's pretending to be windows. you're never gonna get the stability you want.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

So Valve's relasing a new feature of Steamplay, Proton, which is basically their own WINE wrapper to let you play windows games on linux. It's a bit more successful than default WINE for a lot of games.

So the Prey demo finally works, and I'm enjoying it tons, but it's crashy as all gently caress. I'm sure a lot of that is Proton/WINE, but a quick googling tells me that a lot of my crashes (re-entering old areas & saving) are actually found in the 1.0 retail release, later to be patched out. So my question thread: is it worth holding a torch for Prey and getting it at the next steam sale, or is the demo's instability correctly indicative that I'm never playing this game on Linux? Anyone who's putzed about in the demo care to verify it's stability?

edit:vv Some poo poo works flawlessly. Crashing 1/hour is fine. Crashing 80% of the time the game saves is fustrating. I'll take 'playable with patience', I know perfectly well the boat that I'm in.

People are having pretty good luck with it according to the issue tracker.

Crashes seem to be because of limitations in the number of file descriptors able to be created by default in many distributions, esync creates a lot. There's a fix in that link.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 9, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Um, holy poo poo, thank you. Quick fix, suddenly completed the demo (all but murdering the big red guy who carries around turrets), great fun. On the to-buy list asap!

Thanks again!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've been playing for most of the day over the wekend and I'm basically down one escape method and three story missions. What mostly did me in was picking a fight with the Moonshark and never finding the blueprint for the anti-bleeding gel. Then I die somewhere on the way to the trama centre because obviously I won't just stop sprinting. I'm also still not quite sure what attack leads to the bleeding effect. Some ground tentacle?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Moonshark's ground slam has a very high chance of hemorrhage, yeah. Which is neat because it means you have a big angry Typhon all up on your bozack and now you can't run away.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anothre Mooncrash question: Am I imagining things or does the corruption bar fill slower the higher the level is?
I'm also still trying to figure a good order out. The Janitor and Engineer have to go early since they can open things for the others. The Volunteer can go last since he can't change the map and can kill everything with minimal risk. Was there any important place that was accessible with leverage? Also are there more places Doomguy can call security bots? I only remember the one at the shuttle. Not even sure why I spoiler that, it seems pretty useless overall. Especially if you go third with him and only the Director and Volunteer are left.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

genericnick posted:

Anothre Mooncrash question: Am I imagining things or does the corruption bar fill slower the higher the level is?

It does indeed fill slower at higher levels, though the speed gets increased globally (I think) as you progress through the objectives. Note that the loop_delay item restores a constant amount of time- that is, proportionately less of the bar is reset at higher Corruption levels.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

genericnick posted:

Was there any important place that was accessible with leverage? Also are there more places Doomguy can call security bots?

In Mooncrash, you only need Leverage if the power's out. There should be security op dispensers at each security station--or at least a chance for dispensers to be there.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

turns out cryengine is kind of bad for multiplayer

Crysis 3 and Hunt Showdown is pretty drat sweet mp

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

And I'm done. Pretty fun. I actually thought corruption kills you at level 5 instead of 6 and only found out I was wrong by reading this thread, so I can't say I was ever limited by that mechanic. I actually built three time loops on my 5 escape run, which makes me feel dirty, but leaving resources unused also feels weird. I sort of agree that the game would have worked a bit better for me if you couldn't manifacture those. I wouldn't want to give up the Mule though. Just not picking everything up that isn't nailed down sounds reasonable in principle, but melting everything down to build Neuromods gives the most concrete sense of progression and there is no visual indication what objects have been looted so my "if I have been through here, nothing remains" play-style works best.
The fact that the Engineer can install enough Typhon abilities to get hated by doors is bullshit. The status screen looked half full with 4 skills so I thought one more would be OK. Even though the text warned me. I didn't get around to scanning all the Typhons so some abilities remained locked till the end. Anyone remember what the Director's bottom most ability was?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Was that the backlash ability?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I thought only the Volunteer gets Backlash? It was a single node keying off, was it mindjack1?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

genericnick posted:

The fact that the Engineer can install enough Typhon abilities to get hated by doors is bullshit.

You can zap the sensor stations with Electrostatic Burst to get by.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Really Pants posted:

You can zap the sensor stations with Electrostatic Burst to get by.

Sure, but the only reason turrets and doors hate you is that you took machine mind to level2...which is borderline useless if turrets don't hate you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Now that you mention it, how effective *is* a mindjacked recycler against a moon shark?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Is there some trick to the incapacitate Dahl option in 0G? I cannot for the life of me get the stupid trigger to activate no matter how many times or different directions I drag him from.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just shot him with the stun gun

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I stunned him and dragged him down to the med bay. Now Igwe won't complete the mission and if I leave the area he dies.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You don't have to drag him anywhere, Dr. Igwe says that he'll handle things from there after you stun him, if I'm remembering this correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That's why I mentioned 0G. You either find him earlier on (I didn't) or you do it right before he tries to hack Alex's door and kill him. Doing it this way you need to float down to the med bay with him in tow.

It seems an uncommon bug.