Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You can use anything as the host as long as it's got gluten in it. Pita bread and a nice red blend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

You can use anything as the host as long as it's got gluten in it.

Eat poo poo and die Ceilac-havers!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a friend who has been extremely gluten intolerant all his life. He's also Catholic. He'll take the host but pass it on to someone else. He likes to joke that he's allergic to Jesus.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I have a friend who has been extremely gluten intolerant all his life. He's also Catholic. He'll take the host but pass it on to someone else. He likes to joke that he's allergic to Jesus.

Yeah I'm allergic to Jesus too, no problems with gluten though.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The Bloop posted:

Eat poo poo and die Ceilac-havers!

A blessing is just as good.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We have what's essentially a much less sweet homemade shortbread for our Communion bread. Beats any Catholic Styrofoam chip any day. :smug:

(We also offer gluten-free wafers for those who need them, poor things.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hirayuki posted:

We have what's essentially a much less sweet homemade shortbread for our Communion bread. Beats any Catholic Styrofoam chip any day. :smug:

(We also offer gluten-free wafers for those who need them, poor things.)

Jealous quite frankly

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
edit: nvm

Depressio111117 has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Sep 8, 2018

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I realize American bread is loaded with sugar and it’s not good, but at the same time we don’t have fairy bread up here, so

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Jealous quite frankly
Make some yourself--it's delicious: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/unleavened-communion-bread-437607
Fancy portioning not necessary.

My mom's the baker. She rolls out any extra dough, bakes it up, and gives it to my son to snack on.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cinnamon toast is far superior to fairly bread, if you're just going to spread sugar on bread and eat it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Picnic Princess posted:

Cinnamon toast is far superior to fairly bread, if you're just going to spread sugar on bread and eat it.

Cinnamon toast broiled so the sugar caramelizes on the top and gets nice and crunchy but the bottom is super soft but hot, that is the fat kid breakfast food of champions

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i get really sleepy after eating bread so maybe im gluten-intolerant.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Helith posted:

I want to talk about this because this got passed over.

Mint. My toothpaste tastes like mint.

You too? My American one also tastes like mint

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Krispy Wafer posted:

What does European toothpaste taste like? Because ours is candy.

I switched to a non-sweetened toothpaste and now Colgate or Crest tastes like icing.

Colgate and Crest are gross but Arm & Hammer (and a bunch of others) are fine.

I think it's likely that Colgate and Crest remain popular because kids' toothpaste in the states is flavored obnoxiously (bubblegum, grape candy, etc.) and they advertise relentlessly. This has never made sense to me because it's not particularly great for your gut health to regularly swallow toothpaste and candy flavored toothpaste basically encourages that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Which is why the instructions state to supervise young children so they don't swallow it.

They make it taste appealing to encourage kids to brush their teeth in the first place. If the toothpaste tasted unappealing then getting many kids to brush would be an even bigger ordeal.

And aside from this, toothpaste cannot contain sugar for obvious reasons, so people complaining toothpaste tastes like icing is a weird comment on the flavor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

13Pandora13 posted:

Colgate and Crest are gross but Arm & Hammer (and a bunch of others) are fine.

I think it's likely that Colgate and Crest remain popular because kids' toothpaste in the states is flavored obnoxiously (bubblegum, grape candy, etc.) and they advertise relentlessly. This has never made sense to me because it's not particularly great for your gut health to regularly swallow toothpaste and candy flavored toothpaste basically encourages that.

Fiancees sister didn't know she had to spit out toothpaste and apparently swallowed it well into her teens

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Len posted:

Fiancees sister didn't know she had to spit out toothpaste and apparently swallowed it well into her teens

I would like to meet this sister.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

i get really sleepy after eating bread so maybe im gluten-intolerant.

Serving size is not "one loaf" fyi

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Bloop posted:

Serving size is not "one loaf" fyi

Of course not, you hollow it out a bit and insert some sticks of butter in there first.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I would like to meet this sister.

Can confirm you absolutely would not

Edit: apparently it was actually when she was 20 or 21. She's 24 now

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Which is why the instructions state to supervise young children so they don't swallow it.

They make it taste appealing to encourage kids to brush their teeth in the first place. If the toothpaste tasted unappealing then getting many kids to brush would be an even bigger ordeal.

And aside from this, toothpaste cannot contain sugar for obvious reasons, so people complaining toothpaste tastes like icing is a weird comment on the flavor.

Outside of the US children brush their teeth. I have never seen bubblegum flavored toothpaste outside of the US, it might exist but somehow parents in the rest of the world manage to make do without it by and large. American children are not inherently more poorly behaved than their international peers.

You do know there's non-sugar sweeteners, right? Crest and Colgate both contain sodium saccharin.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Depressio111117 posted:

I realize American bread is loaded with sugar and it’s not good, but at the same time we don’t have fairy bread up here, so

Yeah, we do. My mom used to do that when she was a kid and passed it on to me. We didn't call it fairy bread, but it was butter and sugar on bread. We're from the south, if location makes a difference. No, we aren't Australian in any way.

E: no, I haven't done it in years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

13Pandora13 posted:

Outside of the US children brush their teeth. I have never seen bubblegum flavored toothpaste outside of the US, it might exist but somehow parents in the rest of the world manage to make do without it by and large. American children are not inherently more poorly behaved than their international peers.

You do know there's non-sugar sweeteners, right? Crest and Colgate both contain sodium saccharin.

Outside the US some people perform surgeries without anesthesia too, does that somehow make it better than how it is done in the US?

Do Crest and Colgate not exist in other countries? Are their ingredients markedly different? How much of a babby do you have to be to complain that toothpaste tastes too sweet?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think it's another case of someone being too eager to dunk on America.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

There are definitely separately marketed children's tootpastes here in finland that taste different. I don't really expect these to be any different from the ones in the US.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

where do you have to live where you think american toothpaste tastes like candy? it's mint. unless for some reason you are sampling toothpaste made for literal toddlers, it doesn't taste like loving anything but mint.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

where do you have to live where you think american toothpaste tastes like candy? it's mint. unless for some reason you are sampling toothpaste made for literal toddlers, it doesn't taste like loving anything but mint.

The same place where they think white bread tastes like angel food cake.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao, everyone who says america is the most racist country.

whats your opinion on Roma?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You're still talking about bread?! Well, all bread publicity is good bread publicity.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So how about the low-fat scam perpetrated by the sugar industry? If we're gonna be so obsessed about sugar.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Toothpaste chat:

In China and Korea I have had green tea, ginger, and charcoal flavoured toothpaste. Those are three different toothpastes, not mixed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Picnic Princess posted:

So how about the low-fat scam perpetrated by the sugar industry? If we're gonna be so obsessed about sugar.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

Yeah, we do. My mom used to do that when she was a kid and passed it on to me. We didn't call it fairy bread, but it was butter and sugar on bread. We're from the south, if location makes a difference. No, we aren't Australian in any way.

E: no, I haven't done it in years.

Uh, dude, fairy bread doesn't just have sugar on it, it has hundreds-and-thousands on it.

I think you guys call em sprinkles.

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Sep 8, 2018

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

Switch to a toothpaste with no sweeteners, then try one with. It doesn't seem sweet because you're conditioned to it's sweetness.

Andrast posted:

There are definitely separately marketed children's tootpastes here in finland that taste different. I don't really expect these to be any different from the ones in the US.

They are very different, at least from all the Finnish toothpastes I've used. Granted, my Finnish BFF is very into healthy type living so perhaps she's just getting her kids less sweet toothpaste. My experience with sweetener in Finnish pastes is that it's more Xylitol and is not nearly as sweet as in the US.

I do not find American white bread to be "cake" like by any stretch. US toothpaste is disgustingly sweet though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since this is the bread thread, here's the recipe I've been using in my bread maker:

320ml warm water
3tbsp melted butter
1.5tbsp sugar
2tsp active dry yeast
1tbsp powdered milk
1.5tsp salt
1tbsp wheat gluten
600g ap flour

(Tsp/tbsp spoons are the 5/15 ml type)

Slice it thick, toast it, and load up with Irish butter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Since this is the bread thread, here's the recipe I've been using in my bread maker:

320ml warm water
3tbsp melted butter
1.5tbsp sugar
2tsp active dry yeast
1tbsp powdered milk
1.5tsp salt
1tbsp wheat gluten
600g ap flour

(Tsp/tbsp spoons are the 5/15 ml type)

add more sugar

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Toothpaste chat:

In China and Korea I have had green tea, ginger, and charcoal flavoured toothpaste. Those are three different toothpastes, not mixed.
We're currently using apple rose mint toothpaste, soon to run out and be replaced with "fresh citrus" toothpaste, both from Japan. We have dark chocolate and also pickled plum toothpastes, also from Japan. Sometimes we use Marvis Ginger Mint, Royal (lemon oil, tangerine, rose extract, and nutmeg), or Karakum (with cardamom) from Italy; when we travel, it's either Marvis Rambas (peach, pineapple, mango, and mint) or Jasmin Mint. I have a bottle of Lush Bling! tabs (orange oil and frankincense) on the counter, too, and some older tabs in a flavor I don't recall (plus even older tubes of their vanilla salt and charcoal toothpastes). My son enjoys Japanese toothpastes in grape, peach, strawberry, or melon soda.

What I'm saying is: we like trying all different kinds of crazy-rear end toothpastes in this house. I think it all started because my husband didn't much like mint, so we started looking for interesting non-mint flavors and poo poo just escalated from there. At least he's not still using the salt toothpaste of his youth, which, when combined with his habit of eating whole lemons, had eaten away a significant amount of his enamel by the time he was twenty. Our dentist loved him in those early days.

eta: Oh, and cilantro toothpaste!

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Sep 8, 2018

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Well done steak is perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like my steak well done with a nice sugar crust so it browns easier.