Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm gonna resurrect this thread as I think it's the best place to ask.

I recently got tix back to the USA and the best option time/cost wise was EVA by a pretty fair margin. Does anyone know how their international service is? Am I in for a bad time or an OK time in the 12~ hours or so to the US I'll be on the plane for.

The better question is what airlines are used to? If you usually fly American carriers you'll be fine. If you only travel Cathay you'll be disappointed but still fine.

Either way you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm gonna resurrect this thread as I think it's the best place to ask.

I recently got tix back to the USA and the best option time/cost wise was EVA by a pretty fair margin. Does anyone know how their international service is? Am I in for a bad time or an OK time in the 12~ hours or so to the US I'll be on the plane for.
EVA’s decent and I think they’re better about offering direct flights.

thegoat posted:

The better question is what airlines are used to? If you usually fly American carriers you'll be fine. If you only travel Cathay you'll be disappointed but still fine.

Either way you're fine.
I fly Cathay primarily, but I’m going to try EVA next time so I can cut down on connecting flights since Cathay needs to go through Hong Kong first. Also, their service has been slipping over time, and my flight over to the US recently was a total shitshow on their part to the point of giving me vouchers to apologize for loving up so bad.

Also, pick whoever you want but stay away from China Airlines.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

thegoat posted:

Either way you're fine.

To the US I usually fly on Hainan or Cathay, but I'm going to the west coast this time and they were cheaper and tbh I'd never really heard of them before. I don't expect ANA/Korea/Cathay, I just don't want really bad.

It was significantly cheaper and the only downside was a (short) transfer in Taipei instead of direct which didn't bother me too much given it was a lot cheaper and the only real difference is I need to wake up a little earlier to take the <2 hour flight to Taipei.

isndl posted:

EVA practically spoils you compared to US airlines, you'll be fine.

lol at people who hate themselves enough to fly US airlines to Asia.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 16, 2018

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think China Airlines is the one I took from HK or Macau that had seats only big enough for Chinese people.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just flew economy on EVA from TPE to JFK, it was great. They even have a free shuttle out to certain areas of NJ/PA if you need it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I think China Airlines is the one I took from HK or Macau that had seats only big enough for Chinese people.

I did a little more research and China Airlines was ranked 60 out of 60 on some Asian flight safety and satisfaction report. It's a real shame to be under every mainland Chinese Airline. EVA was like 5 or 6 after what you'd expect in Korea/Singapore/ANA/Cathay/etc.

I will say EVA's website really followed the old Taiwanese ethos of looking like it was from 1998 and almost broke on like 3 different occasions. The payment system was so weird and arcane I first thought I'd be duped into some elaborate scam which seemed extra weird as I went there directly from Google Flights.

It also got my US credit card frozen after (thankfully) successfully working for the transaction itself, when less than a week ago I told them I'd be making large payments from Asia with it. A weird number of popups for VISA international and Alipay (??? maybe cuz I was using EVA Air (Shanghai)?) came up which made me worried, but then a billion confirmations came in and my flights show up on the EVA site so I guess it worked.

What's extra weird is Alipay popped up but it forced me to use a credit card when, as a China-liver, I would've happily just used Alipay! I guess cuz I was doing it in their English site and they assume no English-speaker would use Alipay??

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 16, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Non mainland ID holders can't/have trouble with alipay :smith:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

that's just taiwanese web design being fuckin baffled by the concept of foreigns

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Non mainland ID holders can't/have trouble with alipay :smith:

For international yeah, but I was using the English version of their... Chinese site I guess? I use Alipay to buy tickets normally from Feizhu or Ctrip here and it works fine. The price was also quoted in CNY and I had intended to use CNY until it just straight up only had a credit card option at the payment screen.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Magna Kaser posted:

I did a little more research and China Airlines was ranked 60 out of 60 on some Asian flight safety and satisfaction report. It's a real shame to be under every mainland Chinese Airline. EVA was like 5 or 6 after what you'd expect in Korea/Singapore/ANA/Cathay/etc.

I will say EVA's website really followed the old Taiwanese ethos of looking like it was from 1998 and almost broke on like 3 different occasions. The payment system was so weird and arcane I first thought I'd be duped into some elaborate scam which seemed extra weird as I went there directly from Google Flights.

It also got my US credit card frozen after (thankfully) successfully working for the transaction itself, when less than a week ago I told them I'd be making large payments from Asia with it. A weird number of popups for VISA international and Alipay (??? maybe cuz I was using EVA Air (Shanghai)?) came up which made me worried, but then a billion confirmations came in and my flights show up on the EVA site so I guess it worked.

What's extra weird is Alipay popped up but it forced me to use a credit card when, as a China-liver, I would've happily just used Alipay! I guess cuz I was doing it in their English site and they assume no English-speaker would use Alipay??

EVA was great for us (West Coast US to Taipei).

Their website is terrible, and actually messed up in some wierd way I can't recall now. I think we both had tickets and didn't, got charged maybe (?), conflicting verification emails, etc.

However, their telephone assistance was extremely helpful. Saw our orders, fixed everything up quickly, and was friendly. Bad website maybe, but good customer service from my limited experience.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
EVA premium economy was my favorite flight ever. From LA to Taiwan. I hear they do direct Chicago to Taiwan?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I did whatever the cheapest class on EVA was for me. It felt like first class on an American airline; enormous amount of legroom, the in-flight entertainment catalog was huge, the food was pretty good (for airline food, it was amazing; I even got the fish congee for breakfast; I recommend it). They even give you slippers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

I did a little more research and China Airlines was ranked 60 out of 60 on some Asian flight safety and satisfaction report.

So a friend’s dad worked as one of their head mechanics or something, and hearing some stories including one with the words “in-flight repairs” raised like every red flag ever.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

duckfarts posted:

So a friend’s dad worked as one of their head mechanics or something, and hearing some stories including one with the words “in-flight repairs” raised like every red flag ever.

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2017/

Here's the list by the way lol

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
I really hope it isn't as bad as you guys are making out because I have a flight with them in October...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Air travel is still miles ahead safer than other forms of transportation. Even the part tolerances are very tight so don’t be scared!

Crazy pilots are kind of spread across the spectrum so can’t do much about that

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

i'd still rather fly china airlines than take a bus up maokong

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TetsuoTW posted:

i'd still rather fly china airlines than take a bus up maokong

How about the gondola during high winds?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

isndl posted:

How about the gondola during high winds?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Random Question: Does anyone know if they sell Kavlan (and maybe Japanese whiskey as well) at the Taipei airport in duty free?

I have a transfer there on my way to the States next month.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Random Question: Does anyone know if they sell Kavlan (and maybe Japanese whiskey as well) at the Taipei airport in duty free?

I have a transfer there on my way to the States next month.
They are selling Kavalan in Costco in America, now (at least in the Seattle area).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can definitely buy Kavalan at the duty free, they would love for you to pick some up. Also Japanese whiskey and the usual assortment of scotches.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

They are selling Kavalan in Costco in America, now (at least in the Seattle area).

Yeah but if it's anything like other Asian whiskeys it'll be 3-4x the price there? And Kavalan ain't usually very cheap to begin with.

Even buying Japanese whiskey on Taobao here in China is at least 1/2 the price of buying it in the States.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah but if it's anything like other Asian whiskeys it'll be 3-4x the price there? And Kavalan ain't usually very cheap to begin with.

Even buying Japanese whiskey on Taobao here in China is at least 1/2 the price of buying it in the States.

It was around $100-$120 a bottle, in an area that has some of the most expensive alcohol in the U.S. (like, Hawaii is cheaper). That seemed comparable to what I remembered paying at the distillery.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

It was around $100-$120 a bottle, in an area that has some of the most expensive alcohol in the U.S. (like, Hawaii is cheaper). That seemed comparable to what I remembered paying at the distillery.

I actually found the website of a Taipei airport duty free shop in my searching, and it's like 1700-2200NTD for variations of their single malt, and of course they have some different ones which go up to the moon in price, but does seem a great deal cheaper than the US would be on the low end.

I mean I have nothing else to do at the airport during my transfer so might as well??????

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was at Taipei airport and kavalan was very hard to find. The shops were promoting omarr and other Taiwan whiskey brands.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
guessing some of you guys are/were English teachers in Taiwan

I'm considering it for my next job but I'm aware that the time for hiring is pretty much now, and I can't really go anywhere until mid September. Having missed peak hiring time, is it still relatively easy to find a teaching job at a language centre somewhere in Taipei? I'm qualified and have experience so it's not like I'm just some white guy turning up with nothing and expecting a job

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paperhouse posted:

I'm considering it for my next job but I'm aware that the time for hiring is pretty much now, and I can't really go anywhere until mid September. Having missed peak hiring time, is it still relatively easy to find a teaching job at a language centre somewhere in Taipei? I'm qualified and have experience so it's not like I'm just some white guy turning up with nothing and expecting a job

Yeah, I mean, there will be fewer options and you might be more likely to get a class that’s already started their semester, but there are pretty much always jobs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Paperhouse posted:

The fact that you're qualified and even asking these questions means you're more prepared to teach than 99% of the candidates out looking, but the reality is that 99% of the positions won't really care so long as you're just some white guy turning up with nothing and expecting a job.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My wife and I are gonna have a week in Taiwan in mid October and I need some fun ideas. I'll be starting from Taichung. We were thinking touring the little beach towns up and down the coast. Reasonable? Doable by the slow train?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Lugang 鹿港 is a nice town with a lot of historic stuff.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Incidentally: https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/breaking-austin-man-center-printed-gun-debate-faces-sex-assault-charge/AnteUx5fI7LpNg6yg0Z1JN/

quote:

Austin police are working with international authorities to bring Cody Wilson, an Austin man at the center of a debate about 3D-printed guns, back to the country from Taiwan to face a sexual assault charge filed in Travis County on Wednesday.

Wilson’s last known location was the Taiwanese capital of Taipei, Austin police Cmdr. Troy Officer said.

So if anyone sees this dude, the cops would like a word with him.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey Dudes, on my Taiwan trip in early November I plan on going from the Taoyuan HSR station to Kaohsiung (Zuoying) and then back up to Taichung a couple days later. Will I be able to show up the day of and be able to get on the next HSR train? Or should I reserve them before going?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Should be no problem, is this a weekday or weekend?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
At worst you'll get a non-reserved seat ticket and possibly have to stand in the non-reserved cars until you can snag a seat from someone who vacated.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

GoutPatrol posted:

Should be no problem, is this a weekday or weekend?
One will be a Saturday morning, the other will be Monday. Neither will be a situation that if I had to wait an extra 30-60 minutes for the next train won't kill me but it might prove a scheduling hassle if it's more than that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can just show up to the HSR, yeah.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Definitely buy a ticket with reserved seating if the extra ~$3 USD (IIRC) isn’t a problem, it’s a lot less stressful than trying to find a seat on a busy train.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
And just to clarify, you can purchase a reserved seat literally up to the time of departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

And if by some act of God the regular reserved seats are sold out business class is only like 10-15 bucks more, and you get a cookie or popcorn.

There have been several times where I would buy the business class seats rather than wait 30 minutes in the ticket line for economy