Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh no

They think they're art
Art that you're not allowed to actually criticize, or discuss as anything other than signifiers, or really meaningfully change. I'm pretty sure that's not art, that's a security blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

darthbob88 posted:

Art that you're not allowed to actually criticize, or discuss as anything other than signifiers, or really meaningfully change. I'm pretty sure that's not art, that's a security blanket.

I mean those first two things are patently wrong but go off

Seriouspost there used to be really good comics writing at the sites like comics alliance that didn't really care as much about breaking news and having access to publishers, but the internet trending towards clickbait strangled it. Now it's basically just goofballs finding each other on Twitter and poo poo and talking about things

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Sep 8, 2018

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

imho the weird thing about comic book guys is that an issue of a comic can be read in like 10 minutes and a tpb takes like an hour. what do you even do the rest of the day?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Farm Frenzy posted:

imho the weird thing about comic book guys is that an issue of a comic can be read in like 10 minutes and a tpb takes like an hour. what do you even do the rest of the day?

Turns out that I just read a lot of comics

Like, a lot

I'm working through 2100 issues of 2000ad right now

Also, I do....other things? Like I'm an outlier in how much of my life is devotrd to comics and I still do plenty of other poo poo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Farm Frenzy posted:

video games

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

this is a super pernicious thing in nerd culture. being ultra hostile to engaging with media critically is a symptom of the identity-via-consumption problem.

hell a ton of nerds were literally radicalized by people doing so

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look, hating women takes a lot of energy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Casimir Radon posted:

Look, hating women takes a lot of energy.

And they generally aren't in the best shape to begin with.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like this thread should be aware of the ongoing racist meltdown over at r/witcher

turns out a character is being cast that, gasp, is not white

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Phi230 posted:

I feel like this thread should be aware of the ongoing racist meltdown over at r/witcher

This is incredibly unsurprising given that chuds love those books for being even more European than normal fantasy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Q isn't what I'd call the most complex scam, but it's lightyears beyond what Baked is capable of.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

lol i hope it's Yennifer

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Farm Frenzy posted:

i just read them on weird chinese sites that possibly give my phone spyware while i am taking a poo poo.'

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1038439800481763328?s=19

EVS is a loving psycho but the Comics Community has known this for a couple years now

lol, what the gently caress is wrong with these morons. like those figures don't sell anyway and all they have done is make the company make more because they bought them in bulk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol i hope it's Yennifer

Ciri.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Phi230 posted:

ah that explains this
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1038394969600405506?s=21

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol i hope it's Yennifer

Its actually Ciri who is being cast by a POC and nerds are extremely

and I mean extremely

upset

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phi230 posted:

i thought it was they were open to doing it and they haven't found an actress yet. either way cool. personally, i am more annoyed about cavill being geralt.

meh. maybe older ciri but this is kid ciri.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

Its actually Ciri who is being cast by a POC and nerds are extremely

and I mean extremely

upset

Hahaha! That's even better.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just read them on weird chinese sites that possibly give my phone spyware while i am taking a poo poo.'

lol, what the gently caress is wrong with these morons. like those figures don't sell anyway and all they have done is make the company make more because they bought them in bulk.

Ethan is literally one of the main instigators of comics gate which should tell you all you really need to know about him

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Alhazred posted:

Alternatively:

I worry about you sometimes, Alhazred

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He recently trumpeted working with Dave Sim as a reason to buy his weird pepe comic

Dave Sim, for those of you not in the comics loop, is literally insane. He did a 300 issue comic named Cerebus that's generally considered a masterpiece of craft, and when his wife left him in the middle wrote a long arc about how women suck, including s mostly prose issue about how women are a void that suck the light of men out of the world, stripping their joy and creativity

I can't imagine how miserable an experience it would be to read the second half of Cerebus, especially if you really liked the first half. I heard about the experience secondhand from a huge online essay I read a decade ago, which I can't find anymore.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah well you're dumb as poo poo so who cares

Superhero comic fans read the most blisteringly stupid poo poo imaginable. Even video games have better writing. All the people who managed to write good superhero comics like Alan Moore think it's moronic that the genre still exists and is treated with such gravitas.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
people who can’t even dedicate enough time to their power fantasy to make it interactive lovely, you say

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SunAndSpring posted:

Superhero comic fans read the most blisteringly stupid poo poo imaginable. Even video games have better writing. All the people who managed to write good superhero comics like Alan Moore think it's moronic that the genre still exists and is treated with such gravitas.

Yeah this is a really dumb take after the first sentence, also, who the gently caress cares what Alan Moore thinks, he's written some dogshit of his own

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Never mind that the idea of you have to write a deconstruction of comics from thirty years ago plus a philosophical debate to be one of the Good Ones is just the dumbest goddamn thing, it is in fact possible to just write a good story about punches

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol she's not gonna gently caress you dude

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1038439800481763328?s=19

EVS is a loving psycho but the Comics Community has known this for a couple years now

oh look, someone who is still trying to make #COMICSGATE happen lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this thing is full of III%ers and other assorted whackjobs:

https://twitter.com/TheLibertyLamp/status/1038453589847494656
https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/1035630752921264136
i hope harim uziel beats his rear end and then gets his grub on at In N Out afterwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtlCMWz8z_A

lol it must be hard to go through life with such large blinders on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

Literally his baby

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

they certainly seem to be harassing the poo poo out of some
comics folk I follow but I think it’s mostly isolated to twitter? I
hope???

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh no

They think they're art

some of them are tho

it's just that the ones that are super good also tend to be longer format and explore themes beyond black and white opposition, aka hippie SJW bullshit, so they don't count

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

codenameFANGIO posted:

they certainly seem to be harassing the poo poo out of some
comics folk I follow but I think it’s mostly isolated to twitter? I
hope???

Ehhhh depends on the person

I think a lot of comics people coming out against it took the wind out of their sails

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

some of them are tho

it's just that the ones that are super good also tend to be longer format and explore themes beyond black and white opposition, aka hippie SJW bullshit, so they don't count

I mean I'm of the opinion that comics are art period you don't have to explain this to me, the girl who does comics all day every day

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phi230 posted:

would that be the first non-white character ever in the series? or am I thinking of Kingdom Come

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean I'm of the opinion that comics are art period you don't have to explain this to me, the girl who does comics all day every day

are graphic novels on the comics spectrum? because those are deffo my jam, I don't do well with serialized stuff to the point where I fall out of the habit of watching even good shows, except Deadwood which was perfect

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

would that be the first non-white character ever in the series? or am I thinking of Kingdom Come

are graphic novels on the comics spectrum? because those are deffo my jam, I don't do well with serialized stuff to the point where I fall out of the habit of watching even good shows, except Deadwood which was perfect

Graphic novel is a marketing buzzword to sell comics to people who get snobby about comics, and means literally everything from "published as a long form bound thing from the jump" like maus to "collection of single issues of spawn" depending on who's talking

So yes

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JohnSmithReads/status/1038494641161564160

https://twitter.com/qphotonyc/status/1038510729706590208

drat why didnt fox cover this event???

https://twitter.com/MomesMolli/status/1038479811772071936

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's not me taking a swipe at you it's literally a term that emerged in the 80s when comics decided they ARENT JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE and like most bad things in the industry can be traced back to Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Kherman112/status/1038476815323475968

gamers rise up

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Caesar Romero Joker + anarchist + member of the Avengers(?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Graphic novel is a marketing buzzword to sell comics to people who get snobby about comics, and means literally everything from "published as a long form bound thing from the jump" like maus to "collection of single issues of spawn" depending on who's talking

So yes

yeah I've always used it in the snooty form, I was pretty confused at first tho why big volumes of serials and stuff like Fun Home are under the same title. Sort of like how "speculative fiction" is snooty person speak for good sci-fi that is more about exploration of themes and situations than lazer gun battles in space

then I realized it's just comics, but more MEAT