Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Falukorv posted:

This swallowtail chose a weird place to take a rest.

Maybe it was stuck, anyway I removed it and it flew away. Even if it wasn’t stuck it would suck for it to be there when that car eventually drove away.
the luckiest almost-windshield splatter ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A friend of mine found this in Madrid, about 4 cm long. Anyone know what it is?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Looks like a watch.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OneTwentySix posted:

Looks like a watch.

Solved! Thank you

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like a mammoth wasp Megascolia maculata / Scolia flavifrons (different names for the same bugg)
largest wasp species in Europe apparently, cool find! harmless to humans as well

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thank you!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Left my house for about four hours the other day and this dude had built a web five feet wide by four feet tall about a foot off the ground, directly in the middle of my driveway.

He was trying to catch a car, as far as I can tell.

I had to break his web, but he was back again tonight so I got a better picture. He’s an industrious little dude.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Found two wasp spiders (Argiope bruennichi and A. lobata I believe). I’m rarely afraid of spiders but these guys scare me more than tarantulas. A gut thing, I know they’re harmless.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
If there's a new thread title then I feel a need to bring up the Sad Doot again. It's still unidentified, right?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

All four of the swallowtail cats are still around and growing. Dude in the front is the biggest and greenest of the bunch:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Falukorv posted:

Found two wasp spiders (Argiope bruennichi and A. lobata I believe). I’m rarely afraid of spiders but these guys scare me more than tarantulas. A gut thing, I know they’re harmless.

Still in Portugal? Argiope bruennichi is common in certain places in Sweden now. I have seen it near Stockholm and on Öland.

If you see a female in her web, always look for the male too. He's tiny and usually hiding in a corner.

Image from here: http://www.mikethurnerimages.co.uk/_photo_11772222.html

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Also found some of them in a couple of places in Skåne. It's spread pretty rapidly since it was first sighted in the wild. I don't think it's been classified as invasive. Beautiful spider.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

The Red Queen posted:

If there's a new thread title then I feel a need to bring up the Sad Doot again. It's still unidentified, right?

I haven't heard of this and now I'm curious.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sad Doot is a strange, hairy, poop-like creature that has defied identification from our large panel of experts.

EDIT: Ah here we go...

quote:

Sad Doot - the unidentified blob thing from SA - was found outside Duluth, Minnesota in July

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 29, 2018

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

axolotl farmer posted:

Still in Portugal? Argiope bruennichi is common in certain places in Sweden now. I have seen it near Stockholm and on Öland.

If you see a female in her web, always look for the male too. He's tiny and usually hiding in a corner.

Image from here: http://www.mikethurnerimages.co.uk/_photo_11772222.html

Yes I am. I’ve heard about their increasing range in Sweden but haven’t seen any myself yet. Know people who have though (mostly in southern Sweden/Skåneland).

At this moment I’m walking in a nature reserve and found two more female Argiope lobiata, and sure enough, there was a tiny male in the corner of both webs. I’ll put up a picture when I get home. It was challenging to get them both in the same picture as they were far apart and their sizes differ so much, had to take several takes to get the little Mr. Spider in focus. From a distance that covers both, the camera struggles to focus both spiders hanging freely in a net with a grassy background.

Are male spiders of this genus in danger of being eaten by the female? Anything else would surprise me.

Death by snu-snu!

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 31, 2018

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wikipedia posted:

The differences of size of these male spiders actually allows the males to come into contact with the females in relation to their orb webs. The male Argiope bruennichi are able to enter into the female's orb and thus make their webs without being detected as prey and thus eaten before they are able to mate, a major fitness advantage.

Certain male Argiope bruennichi have a very important adaptation that they have developed to insure that they will be the only mate with whom the female can produce offspring. Certain males are able to "plug" the female after they have mated with her to prevent other males from copulating with the female. This plugging involves using the entire male's body, thus allowing him to only mate once. This is a major reason as to why these males are always in a rush to mate after the female has completed her final moult.[4] With males always waiting around for the female to reach full maturity, the race is on for the male who is small enough to not be detected, yet is also able to "plug" the female so that no other male can compete for fertilization of her eggs. These spiders have evolved to become monogamous for the most part after mating because of this damage.

:stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:mrwhite:

Looks like "traumatic insemination" has a challenger.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Answer was better than I hoped!

Anyway, here is mr and mrs Argiope lobiata. The male is marked with the red circle.

It is from the camera display so bear with me, I don’t have my computer with me.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Have to show one of the Argiope females we spotted last year:

Also found this pretty lady (?) at a local plant nursery. Anyone know off the cuff what it is?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Araneus diadematus, garden spider
she's a pretty one :3:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Bugs!

Monarch Butterfly

Some sort of bee mimic flower fly

Jumping spider keeping some eyes on me

A wheel bug chilling waiting for a meal

Whole lotta polinating with a bumble bee, a honey bee, and some sort of wasp in the back

Zabulon Skipper posing

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Well, I tried to snap a shot of an odd flying insect today but failed. (My camera just isn't good enough, the bug is invisible in the pics I took.) Perhaps someone might have an idea of what it was anyway and is willing to humor me? I'll be taking a better camera with me when I visit those hives next week, so perhaps I'll get a second chance...

I'm in southern New England. The bug looked like a carpenter bee in size and shape, and had the same all black body -- it definitely didn't have a waspy shape. However, it also had dusty, blue-gray fur and a fuzzy butt, and that didn't appear to be due to rolling around in pollen or something. The mystery bug was hovering around the entrance to a honeybee hive around 10 a.m. We hit a bit of a dearth of nectar here thanks to no recent rain, so it's not unusual for bees and wasps to scout hives and attempt robberies.

Osmia ribifloris seems unlikely, since that bee seems limited to out west and was much more colorful than what I saw. The body shape is right, but this bug didn't look metallic and had that fuzzy butt.

While hunting around for possible leads, I found this bit of news from spring: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-promising-backup-to-the-honeybee-is-shut-down/

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have a mud dauber nest in my bbq. I was wondering, the daubers seem to come outside every so often and sit on the outside beating their wings while standing in place, are they trying to cool down or something? There is a thermometer on the outside of the q and it's reading near 170 Fahrenheit. They're kind of cute :3:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there are at least 8 house spiders clustered around my back door and all their babies have hatched this week :3:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
These little guys are everywhere!! This one looks like it's trying to hide in the foliage, but it's on the wrong side of the window.

When I left for work this afternoon I noticed a dark spot on my aloe plant. I hoped it was a spider friend, but I didn't expect it to have food with it!

That may be the best picture I've ever taken with my phone.

IDs would be appreciated. Central Arkansas USA

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

your spider looks like everybody's buddy Phidippus audax (bold jumping spider)
she looks like she's had a lot of success hunting! fatty fat butt :kimchi:

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Two toads found waddling and hopping around. The dryness we had in Sweden made me worried for our Amphibian friends, a great amount of ponds and swampy areas were completely dried out, but the toads atleast seem fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

You're not fooling me, buster!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

That isn't realistic! Patterning suggests a spadefoot toad, but they have vertical pupils.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Also, ten inches seems like a real big toad.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Shifty Nipples posted:

Also, ten inches seems like a real big toad.

You should see my hog.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

You should see my hog.

What does a motorcycle have to do with the length of amphibians?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Dick Trauma posted:

You're not fooling me, buster!

I legitimately have one of these, it is sitting right next to me with his buddies

It has started to crack sadly, the mouth is now open in a surprisingly realistic but unintended way

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, looks like I've got a house centipede sharing the place with me now. On second thought I should have ran for a bowl instead of a camera because now I'm not sure where it went. He's a big one, an absolute unit. I live in a studio apartment so I've some trepidation; hopefully he sticks to the walls and floor...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

House centipedes look scary, but they're really very good for your home. They eat lots of pests!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I looked it up and they're basically harmless/beneficial. It's just that he showed up on the wall above my desk, which is next to my bed and I'm just hoping he doesn't get cold and want to cuddle when I go to sleep.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

speaking of harmless/beneficial bugs, it's been a big cicada year but almost every cidada I've seen this summer was already spider food. good job everyone!

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Sorry for the bad phone pic, would anyone be able to identify this spider? It was maybe 3 inches wide and I'm in Colorado.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

house centipedes are basically like tiny cats-

-fast moving ambush predator that provides pest control
-loves warmth (thus their moving into houses when the weather gets cool)
-groom themselves regularly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAheSfKEbHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Apple Jax posted:

Sorry for the bad phone pic, would anyone be able to identify this spider? It was maybe 3 inches wide and I'm in Colorado.

looks like Tegenaria sp. or a close relative, hard to say more than that I think