Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

A collection of his short stories. The complete short story collection is worth every penny and easy to find. (Edit) Like this one.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

a lot (all?) of his work is available online, as well, so you could read some of the major shorts like A Hunger Artist to see if you've a taste for it

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

regulargonzalez posted:

How do you think Stephen King will be regarded in 100 years? Say what you will about him but he's usually entertaining, he's rarely schlocky in a Dan Brown type of way, he's probably sold more books than any author ever (except God, I guess). I feel like there are a lot of similarities to Dickens, who pet my understanding was regarded in much the same way during his life but whose reputation has grown over time.

Not that important, but James Patterson has sold more books than King, as far as active authors go. Shakespeare and Agatha Christie are estimated to have sold a minimum of 2 billion + each (#1 that's not the bible). Although Patterson doesn't really even write his own books anymore so I'm not sure how much that counts. It's easy to sell a lot when you put out 5-6 co-authored books a year.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

early king was great and i think/hope he'll put out one more amazing work in his life, almost certainly be in response to getting diagnosed with a terminal disease or something, and that will be what he gets remembered for. imo we're in for a wave of fantastic literature (and music) as the boomers make their peace, one by one, with the complete implacability of death

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court known to be dry and boring, or am I just being uncharitable?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I ditched it too. I just always felt that I didn’t have the context to get the second layer of meaning and the first layer is not at all exciting.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's made entirely worth it by the ending, which is an insanely prescient view of what the First World War would be like with the advent of industrialized warfare

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

it's made entirely worth it by the ending, which is an insanely prescient view of what the First World War would be like with the advent of industrialized warfare

funny, I totally didn't pick up on that when I read it at age 10

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my good king list btw, and that is all i will say about the man for now:

it*
misery
carrie
the shining
the dead zone
apt pupil
cujo (rules, and is better, not worse, for having been written in a coke-induced blackout)
firestarter
pet sematary

*yes i know, but 99% of the book is both super scary and incredibly entertaining, both of which are important for horror

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
people will talk about salem's lot and the stand, honestly they weren't bad but they're middling to me

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

this broken hill posted:

it*
misery
carrie
the shining
the dead zone
apt pupil
cujo (rules, and is better, not worse, for having been written in a coke-induced blackout)
firestarter
pet sematary

*yes i know, but 99% of the book is both super scary and incredibly entertaining, both of which are important for horror

I would swap out 'Salem's Lot for IT, personally. Other than that, yeah, that's my list.

edit: Actually I haven't read Apt Pupil or Cujo, so I wouldn't include those either.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Seconding Cujo

He wasn't a bad dog :smith:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

A conversation with a coworker today made me remember one of my favorite trash/pulp books from the 80s. It is part of a trilogy but I haven't gotten around to finding used copies of the other two. It's called Texas Triumphant by Daniel De Cruz and is literally Texas cold war fan fiction.

In this universe the Soviets are going to invade during the Cold War and the US is too pushover to stop them. What's the solution? Texas secedes from the US and goes to war with the USSR by itself. The highlight of the book is when a Soviet tank division invades Texas which the Texans have no hope of beating. As the tanks drive across a large plain shortly after landing amphibiously on the Texas coastline, the tank commander stops his tank and gets out. He notices the ground is soggy and smells like gas, at which point a guy on horseback dressed as the lone ranger appears on a nearby hill and fires a flaming arrow onto the plain immolating the entire Soviet tank division in a giant conflagration.

The whole book is filled with ridiculous Texas fan fiction stuff like that and is glorious. If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy the film rights and make the movie.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

this broken hill posted:

it*
misery
carrie
the shining
the dead zone
apt pupil
firestarter
pet sematary

The Green Mile, Dark Half and the first book (and only the first!) of the Dark Tower series were real good reads, imo. I preferred them to Misery, which was just miserable (:V) to read.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1028161219478343680

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this reminds me of some really dumb tweet I saw where someone was really angry about ~the plot~ in les miserable being interrupted by the digressions

people need to stop reading books the wrong way

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ulvir posted:

this reminds me of some really dumb tweet I saw where someone was really angry about ~the plot~ in les miserable being interrupted by the digressions

From later in the same thread:

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

nerds love world building and magic systems in fantasy books but loving hate learning about something real in non genre fiction books

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Selachian posted:

From later in the same thread:

of-loving-course

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jagstag posted:

nerds love world building and magic systems in fantasy books but loving hate learning about something real in non genre fiction books

whoa thats hosed up actually

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month's BOTM

edit:

As always, criteria I'm looking for are

1) accessibility -- as few barriers to participation as possible. Clear prose & Available online for free are the ideal

2) interest -- something with a "hook" that will get people to read it. Helps a lot if you tell me why people would want to read the book you're suggesting.

3) off the beaten path -- if it's a book that 3/4ths of the forum has already read, there's no point. We don't need to do a Song of Ice and Fire BotM, etc.

4) merit/quality -- this is subjective but ideally it's a good book

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 23, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulvir posted:

Y'all do realize Alexandra Petri is a humor writer, right?

Besides, if you're making that joke, you're probably someone who 1) read moby dick and 2) liked the whale facts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Abolition of Species by Dietmar Dath

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

I just read Sulphuric Acid by Amelie Nothomb, so that one. It's short and provocative, so there should be plenty to discuss. The premise is a reality show about a real concentration camp with real deaths and all, but there's considerably more to it than the shock value. The only problem is, it's going to be difficult to find in bookshops and libraries.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Y'all do realize Alexandra Petri is a humor writer, right?

Besides, if you're making that joke, you're probably someone who 1) read moby dick and 2) liked the whale facts

I like that it was written for people who had never even seen a picture of a whale before, and would have had trouble understanding or even imagining every aspect of what a whale is. You got to admire the man’s ambition really.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A question for Dickens fans/scholars/whatever: So I know Mystery of Edwin Drood was unfinished, but how unfinished is it? Like, is it functionally pretty readable, just without an ending, or does it feel unedited and fragmentary?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He was published serially so it's not a collection of notes like the last tycoon. According to Wikipedia he finished 6 of the planned 12 instalments, so it's literally half finished.

Dorothy Lynch
Jul 3, 2018

whats that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Like humour for Americans

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Like humour for Americans

Mostly farts and gay jokes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mr. Squishy posted:

He was published serially so it's not a collection of notes like the last tycoon. According to Wikipedia he finished 6 of the planned 12 instalments, so it's literally half finished.

Arguably not, Dickens had a habit of listening to his readers and rewriting depending on audience reaction. I would say three were done and three were last drafts.

The most famous example of this was Miss Mowcher from Copperfield, the first time we met her she was a comedic ludicrous figure, the second time she was written sympathetically and had a heroic moment - reason being Dickens received a letter from a woman who had a sister who was a dwarf and she asked him to change her character and explained why.

It’s an interesting exercise to go through his novels and compare how people were at the start vs how they evolved :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw the film version of Susanna Moore's 'In The Cut.'
Apparently the book has a shocking ending that the movie left out or greatly reduced. I can't seem to find a description by Googling or even get the book on Kindle to read it myself. Can anyone spoil it for me?
In the movie she shoots the killer without him getting to do anything to her, wanders back to her apartment where she left the good cop handcuffed, and that's it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 2, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://www.amazon.com/October-Russian-Revolution-China-Mi%C3%A9ville/dp/1784782777

Has anyone read this yet? China Mieville writing a one-volume summary of the events of the Russian Revolution.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I have and it owns. No idea about its historical accuracy but I couldn't put it down.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i definitely trust the historical chops of the bald trotskyist who writes fantasy novels

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The lad is a unit. You might not trust him but you'd definitely fall asleep in his arms.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

i definitely trust the historical chops of the bald trotskyist who writes fantasy novels

Same.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not going to read anything by China Mieville until he admits that my good friend Stalin did nothing wrong.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

I'm not going to read anything by China Mieville until he admits that my good friend Stalin did nothing wrong.

I have bad news about your friend, and the things he did in the Ukraine

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A human heart posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

A human heart posted:

I'm not going to read anything by China Mieville until he admits that my good friend Ariel did nothing wrong.