Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If there isn't an option to have the co-driver call you Samir I'm going to be very disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vljP6-Uabz0

Skip to 2 or 3 mins in you can hear the guy constantly berating him. This video is kind of amusing because at one point the guy explains how this is a big treasure hunt or something he has no idea what dakar is lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not sure what he means by treasure hunt but he clearly knows what Dakar is because he keeps talking about Carlos Sainz having driven the Dakar rally for Peugot.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
That co-driver is hella annoying and I want to thumb his ribs until he shuts up.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It looks like "Treasure Hunt" is a game mode under "Explore" in the main menu, so I think part of his unfocused muttering is about that.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ok that makes more sense i guess lol, the peugot is a the preorder bonus so i figured he knew it from that.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Ferrari dlc for pc2 is out. Its authentically snobby only a ferrari can drive the ferrari test track. Also has mugello instead of imola which is kinda weird. The 355 challenge and f40 are badass but its kinda the weakest compared to the le mans and porsche pack but its still pretty good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ferrari's only on the Ferrari track is almost certainly a licensing term. Also Ferrari Challenge (Ferrari's rich old guy racing series of maximum hilarity) races at Mugello which would be why it's there instead of Imola.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

Ferrari dlc for pc2 is out. Its authentically snobby only a ferrari can drive the ferrari test track. Also has mugello instead of imola which is kinda weird. The 355 challenge and f40 are badass but its kinda the weakest compared to the le mans and porsche pack but its still pretty good.

Imola was already in PC2 so mugello makes sense

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

house of the dad posted:

Imola was already in PC2 so mugello makes sense

Ah yes im retarded.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:toot:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh thanks for reminding me!! I’m gonna get in at the early access price because I really hope this game can be a good replacement for GT Sport eventually

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ooh thanks for reminding me!! I’m gonna get in at the early access price because I really hope this game can be a good replacement for GT Sport eventually

So far so good, it's early days etc but all the graphics defaulted to max and it runs like a dream, feels good, FFB is nice and overall very encouraging I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as the Multiplayer can stand up against iRacing and GT Sport, and really, if you're making a multiplayer racing game, those two are your targets, and the VR is as good as it was in AC1, then I'll be happy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As long as the Multiplayer can stand up against iRacing and GT Sport, and really, if you're making a multiplayer racing game, those two are your targets, and the VR is as good as it was in AC1, then I'll be happy

Multiplayer comes in a few weeks in a patch with VR as well, I bought it mainly to save 50% on release, I never do early access but Kunos have earned enough of my trust.
It seems fine for what it is so far though.

Edit: VR and multiplayer are my two most important things too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah, I know they arent there today, I just figured that, like you, I liked AC enough that I'll buy this on good faith, especially at a 50% discount.

Also, for those on the fence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WoYq_V3LJ4

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, yeah, I know they arent there today, I just figured that, like you, I liked AC enough that I'll buy this on good faith, especially at a 50% discount.

Also, for those on the fence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WoYq_V3LJ4

I think VR will be really good, using Unreal Engine was a good call I reckon, my hype-o-meter is twitching a bit, even though this race series isn't my favourite / seems to attract lunatics online

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I hope this is a first step and down the road (no pun intended)they’re planning on making a road-only sequel with a decent progression system and career mode.

Start off with MX-5 level cars, work your way to GT4, GT3, then LMP1 eventually with an open-wheel alternate ladder.

Forza and GTS are going all-in on car quantity and now both are outsourcing car modeling. I don’t think this approach is good anymore. It worked in the PS1-PS2 days but now racing game fans demand a higher level of accuracy in the physics and tire model and you can’t really get there if you’re pumping out a dozen cars a month. I’d really like a racing game with upgrades and a career mode with actual sim-like gameplay. I think it’s possible, too, if you massively pare down the car list and limit it to cars people actually want to race.

I’m dying to know the stats behind all the different cars in GTS because I’ll bet the vast majority of them are ignored totally or raced once, and then ignored.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

It looks like when its connected online even in single player it rates how you take turns somewhat like forza. That seems necessary to have a multiplayer like iracing so thats pretty encouraging on that front. Also how do you make that goddamned box go away its not on the hud menu.

Unrelated but in pcars 2 cranking the aggression up to 80 or 90 makes them drive normal and way less likely to hit you to the point that slider should literally be called awareness and you want that way up. Tbh it seems like every racing game is like this. Like in forza limit aggression means they cant see you at all so they are actually far harder to deal with then a someone defending their position. Anyways it's much better, if pcars 1 was like this i played the whole time with poo poo ai for no reason lol.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is 25bux the discounted price for ACC?

I've only put a dozen or so hours into the forest AC but it was pretty solid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is 25bux the discounted price for ACC?

I've only put a dozen or so hours into the forest AC but it was pretty solid.

The Jimmy Broadbent video I linked above mostly covers it, but if you loved AC for mods, dont buy this one. If you want AC but with better graphics, better multiplayer and a focus on series racing rather than individual races, buy this.

If you want to buy this, now is the time as its 50% off and you'll get the rest of the content for free.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I hope they support VR better. I HATE the menus in AC for VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trillhouse posted:

I hope this is a first step and down the road (no pun intended)they’re planning on making a road-only sequel with a decent progression system and career mode.

Start off with MX-5 level cars, work your way to GT4, GT3, then LMP1 eventually with an open-wheel alternate ladder.

Forza and GTS are going all-in on car quantity and now both are outsourcing car modeling. I don’t think this approach is good anymore. It worked in the PS1-PS2 days but now racing game fans demand a higher level of accuracy in the physics and tire model and you can’t really get there if you’re pumping out a dozen cars a month. I’d really like a racing game with upgrades and a career mode with actual sim-like gameplay. I think it’s possible, too, if you massively pare down the car list and limit it to cars people actually want to race.

I’m dying to know the stats behind all the different cars in GTS because I’ll bet the vast majority of them are ignored totally or raced once, and then ignored.

I have to agree. Collecting 200 cars is fun but once you've done it a few times, doing it again (and paying for lots of dlc) feels kinda lame.

The "everything racer game" seems appealing but once it becomes clear its all temporary I lose interest.

So yeah, much prefer a focused experience now. I love how f1 2018 has the real drivers and each team's livery and all the real rules. I love how dirt really nails the feel of sliding around stages. I don't really mind that each are very limited in car selection.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a stable of like 10 cars I ran all the time in GT Sport, a handful of stuff I'd use for specialized races, and about 150 cars with zero miles on them

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Its weird there isnt an autocross game
with parking lot maps and proc gen courses. I would dig it more if they let you do it in beaters but any grassroots motorsport game would kickass.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

F2 gets rid of the drat hud thing the menu options doesnt clear and also brings up all the key bindings.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DogonCrook posted:

Its weird there isnt an autocross game
with parking lot maps and proc gen courses. I would dig it more if they let you do it in beaters but any grassroots motorsport game would kickass.

Wreckfest scratches this itch for me, I like it a lot for what it is

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beam.NG has a random autocross course mode as well, which goes pretty well with the Automation crossover they have.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That Assetto Blancpain thingy looks good. I won't play it before it gets VR....is it good enough to still put it on the pile and save 50%?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

That Assetto Blancpain thingy looks good. I won't play it before it gets VR....is it good enough to still put it on the pile and save 50%?

I think so yeah, I can't see Kunos messing this up and it's in a decent, playable state already. It's all speculation but I think this is a safe bet in all honesty, the worst I expect is it to be OK, the best I expect is for it to be amazing.
It drives quite well and looks good already so I'd say get it to save the 50%

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I think so yeah, I can't see Kunos messing this up and it's in a decent, playable state already. It's all speculation but I think this is a safe bet in all honesty, the worst I expect is it to be OK, the best I expect is for it to be amazing.
It drives quite well and looks good already so I'd say get it to save the 50%

*sound of cash register*

thank you, friendly cat :)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Got my T150, and it even came with the better T3PA pedals rather than the poo poo plastic ones, which probably saved me a hundred bucks! I tried doing laps around Australia in f1 2018 and it's still insane with no assists, but at least I can corner properly.

Now I just need to figure out a cheap stand. I got a cheap laptop cart from IKEA that I might be able to do something with, but it depends on if I can get it to support the wheel's weight.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

tuo posted:

I am waiting for VR also, but I still hotlap in AC so I bought it. Nicki Thiim seems to think it feels okay, but there is still work needed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I found it hard to judge when the front end was going to let go, but I certainly dont have enough experience to know if thats a setup or ABS issue yet. Sound is waaaaaay better than AC, graphics are fantastic as well

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hi I don't have a racing wheel so is project cars 2 worth $25 for tootling around in vr with a controller?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not really because Project Cars 2 isnt very good to begin with. Assetto Corsa is $19.99 on steam and is much better.

However, there is a Project Cars 2 demo on steam, so download it and try it if you want

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Assetto corsa gave me vr sickness, which nothing else has except rolling several times in dirt rally. Also the vr interface was loving terrible and I couldn't figure out how to tune controls within the 2 hour return window

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
P Cars 2 as s SERIOUS sim can be frustrating, there are issues there, but for something to dick around in in VR it's well worth a shot, having a storm roll in at night is VR is something to behold.
It's way down my list of fav sims but it's way up the list as a VR play thing.

Edit: Have you tried Race Room? The free version is good enough to decide if you like it or not and I think it's a better sim than P Cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. Do you you want serious sim racing or more of an arcade driving game?