Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Walking around with a VR helm playing DOOM is my new workout routine, and lets just say if telephone books still existed theyd be terrified

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
What could have been in the darkest timeline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1aAGQWC80

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Step platformers were cool and good and I want them back.

I'd love a proper spiritual sequel to Flashback.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Killstick posted:

That's... actually somewhat interesting, if accidental, visual design. I wouldn't want to play a DOOM-length game of nothing but that, but as a short artsy thing it would work.

It also is a great compliment to things like the lighting and VFX design that it still works as well as it does.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
A couple of times I had the sound cut out, and despite that the game has been perfectly playable - there's so many little visual cues in combat I didn't realise I had picked on.

The game really had a ton of love poured into all of it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

one of my absolute favorite things about do4m is the the lighting (like, how the actual light sources look), I don't know how to explain it but it's exactly what I used to think games would look like in the future when I was a kid. I'm not a game designer so I can't put whatever effect that is into words but I wish more games would use it. It reminds me of the bright, colored lighting in 80's anime or something. a game in a darker overall setting (like some bladerunner cyberpunk thing) with that type of lighting would be ridiculously cool

e: actually from what I've seen of eternal so far it seems a bit more toned down and naturalistic sadly, probably because we've seen the "hell on earth" sections and not the sci-fi space bases (though I'm sure they will be there)

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 7, 2018

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah ok. I was thinking he meant walking around in a VR helm, and that's such an obviously bad idea, I had to explore it a bit.

You can do this too, PC VR headsets have a boundary system. For larger scale games there's the artificial locomotion options mentioned before, but none of these prevent natural movement so you can still sidestep, lean, crouch and all that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

d0s posted:

one of my absolute favorite things about do4m is the the lighting (like, how the actual light sources look), I don't know how to explain it but it's exactly what I used to think games would look like in the future when I was a kid. I'm not a game designer so I can't put whatever effect that is into words but I wish more games would use it. It reminds me of the bright, colored lighting in 80's anime or something. a game in a darker overall setting (like some bladerunner cyberpunk thing) with that type of lighting would be ridiculously cool

e: actually from what I've seen of eternal so far it seems a bit more toned down and naturalistic sadly, probably because we've seen the "hell on earth" sections and not the sci-fi space bases (though I'm sure they will be there)

Hopefully this isn't another situation where an engine is "improved" by having "more realistic" lighting because that always does translate to kind of bland. I agree 100% about Doom's lighting, it's very harsh (this is part of why it still looks decent even without textures) and makes the colors pop. They did this with Doom 64 too, in earlier iterations of it it didn't make much use of colored lighting, but it's in almost every part of the released game and the game is better and moodier for it. I think part of why it may evoke 80s anime to you is because of how it casts really bright light from points like how cheap grindhouse movies would be lit in the 70s and 80s and of course stuff like Blade Runner, and you'd see that influence in how anime would be "lit" and drawn.

This can be seen in the best looking video games throughout time, I'm a dumbass and forget the artist's name that did these three games but check out how the sprites and backgrounds are drawn in, say, R-Type II, Last Resort, and The King of Fighters '94. These games have some extremely dark spaces, but they're still super colorful and detailed for their time. It's interesting stuff to look at because the "lighting" is just in how the sprites are drawn, like would have sort of a style guide for how, say, if a sprite is standing and facing right, it's drawn as if a spotlight is on it from a 45 degree angle ___ distance from the sprite's head and stuff like that to get a consistent style. Not that they looked to those games in particular, but these were games that borrowed from stuff like Akira and Tetsuo the Iron Mana and Blade Runner and all kinds of the stuff you mention, and you can see the similar philosophy at work.

Like it's a perfect fit with that kind of stuff and the moody or/and gruesome games created in their immediate wake. It's also very old school in that, yeah the game has a lot of red and brown and blue, but each individual level has its own little palette and even if the difference is subtle it's there and really adds personality to the game's world. Like it's an exact fit with how the best looking older games would do the same and you can see even in the concept screenshots from just before the game came out that they knew exactly what they were doing in this regard and how the lighting and effects are an organic part of that process.

If you look at, say the NES Castlevania games, or horror games on the PC-98, or any pixel game that looks great that's going for a dark or moody atmosphere, they only had so many colors to fit into whatever RAM the game had to work with, and so black is used as another color and not just to convey darkness, but to frame and help stuff pop. Doom 2016 is a it's a perfect fit with that:

Doom 2016 had so much care put into its design, that it never looks like they just, like, added lighting to the game, it's carefully curated across the board to make everything pop and look as consistently cool as possible at all times with what they have. Much like those games where the "lighting" was whatever you drew into it.

It's not cel shaded or anything like that, but you can tell they used that art we got as the reversible cover? That look was clearly a style guide for the game's lighting and that's awesome to take into account in helping Doom look as metal as possible.

Doom 2016 is part of the pantheon to me of games that are aesthetic, like King of Fighters '99/2000 or Shadow of the Colossus or Rez caliber.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 8, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Groetgaffel posted:

I would love it if it turns out that Hayden isn't the cause of the invasion, and has been fighting against it when Doomguy shows up again.

They played with expectations in DO4M by having Doomguy give no fucks about exposition. It would be great if they did a repeat performance by not making S. Hayden evil.

It would be even more interesting if he wasn't evil but was also Literally Satan

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah ok. I was thinking he meant walking around in a VR helm, and that's such an obviously bad idea, I had to explore it a bit.

Smooth sliding seems ok to me even if it is "unrealistic," but to be honest I've never really done much VR.

You do walk around within your play space, but when you reach the edge of the room you have to teleport the space or use a joystick or something to move the play space around.

Like GutBomb said, we're a long way away from a good affordable omnidirectional treadmill. Although that is the future eventually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

So cool

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

If you look at, say the NES Castlevania games, or horror games on the PC-98, or any pixel game that looks great that's going for a dark or moody atmosphere, they only had so many colors to fit into whatever RAM the game had to work with, and so black is used as another color and not just to convey darkness, but to frame and help stuff pop. Doom 2016 is a it's a perfect fit with that:

they're not particularly horrific but I was thinking about stuff like the caravan shooters on PC engine, it was like playing an FPS version of blazing lazers or star soldier. you're speeding through these contrasty levels designed for maximum visual "pop", switching through a variety of weapons whose main purpose seems to be to make the killing feel as cool as possible, there's not all that much strategy or planning required and it's more about how you want to deal with everything (rather than more methodical shmups like r-type where there's a very specific "right" way to play, even though I get the visual comparison). even the glory kill/chainsaw mechanic feels like killing stuff in those games to collect the weapon upgrade gels etc. I really can't think of another FPS that does exactly what this is doing, even older ones. I think it's going to go down as one of the best action games ever made

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Ah poo poo you guys, turns out Doom Eternal comes out on the same day as the new Hyperdimension Neptunia game, and there's no way Doomguy can miss out on that. He's is gonna try and see if he can convince Pete Hines to delay it, but if he doesn't agree, we may not get our promised demon-slaying!

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Killstick posted:

Still brighter than Doom 3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

d0s posted:

they're not particularly horrific but I was thinking about stuff like the caravan shooters on PC engine, it was like playing an FPS version of blazing lazers or star soldier. you're speeding through these contrasty levels designed for maximum visual "pop", switching through a variety of weapons whose main purpose seems to be to make the killing feel as cool as possible, there's not all that much strategy or planning required and it's more about how you want to deal with everything (rather than more methodical shmups like r-type where there's a very specific "right" way to play, even though I get the visual comparison). even the glory kill/chainsaw mechanic feels like killing stuff in those games to collect the weapon upgrade gels etc. I really can't think of another FPS that does exactly what this is doing, even older ones. I think it's going to go down as one of the best action games ever made

:same: The visuals really were designed in an old school way for maximum action despite the modern technology.

Amebx posted:

Still brighter than Doom 3

Speaking of which there's a great lighting mod that fixes this, if you look at a comparison of them it's like night and day:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I feel like the loneliest person in the world I tell others I enjoy Doom 3. :smith:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Killstick posted:

I see what you did there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Safeword posted:

I feel like the loneliest person in the world I tell others I enjoy Doom 3. :smith:

I was fine with it, but I also agree it's the worst Doom game.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I really enjoyed it. But it was of it's time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Safeword posted:

I like it as a horror shooter if I pretend it was called John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars x Event Horizon: The Video Game instead of Doom 3.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Worst Doom game still means it's a pretty high tier among all games.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Safeword posted:

I enjoyed Doom 3. While it may not have captured certain action aspects/feels of the original doom series, I believe it did capture the horror elements/feels present in the original doom series (including monster closets and fighting demons in low light) that DO4M did not. I think that alot of people remember dead simple, but forget about things like the blue (red?) key in toxin refinery.

DO4M was a better game, but Doom 3 was also good for different reasons and, IMO, still deserves its place as a doom game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

I enjoyed Doom 3. While it may not have captured certain action aspects/feels of the original doom series, I believe it did capture the horror elements/feels present in the original doom series (including monster closets and fighting demons in low light) that DO4M did not. I think that alot of people remember dead simple, but forget about things like the blue (red?) key in toxin refinery.

DO4M was a better game, but Doom 3 was also good for different reasons and, IMO, still deserves its place as a doom game.

This, wholeheartedly. It's a lot of fun to play, it just requires buy-in a lot of people aren't willing to do.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm in the "good but different" camp. I beat it twice on PC, once on the Xbox. The Xbox one was because one of the guys in my shop got it while we were stationed at Kadena AB and he was too scared to play it himself (lmao) so he watched me play through and beat it during a typhoon lockdown.

I gotta admit, playing in a dark room with a typhoon howling outside does a lot to heighten the spooky atmosphere they were going for

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Safeword posted:

it was good though. It was not "Doom", but I played and enjoyed the hell out of it, and the first mission is super cool and I nearly shat my pants (not really, but it really got under my skin).

Doom 3 didn't age as well as other games, and it wasn't the perfect successor to Doom 1/2, but I really enjoyed it.

Also quite a lot of Doom 3 art stuff made it into Doom 2016, mostly because it was awesome

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I liked Doom 3 I just wish it didn't feel like there was tons of input lag or something with everything you did (PC version)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Safeword posted:

I enjoyed it when it came out and got Resurrection of Evil ASAP and liked that a lot too. There's a lot of good in there but it's like a death by a thousand cuts thing where all the little nitpicks I have with it really added up as I would go back to it over the years.

Part of why Doom 2016 is amazing is because it takes the best elements from all past Doom games even if 64 is the real 3 to me.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm in the "good but different" camp. I beat it twice on PC, once on the Xbox. The Xbox one was because one of the guys in my shop got it while we were stationed at Kadena AB and he was too scared to play it himself (lmao) so he watched me play through and beat it during a typhoon lockdown.

I gotta admit, playing in a dark room with a typhoon howling outside does a lot to heighten the spooky atmosphere they were going for

The CPU facility (the level before you fight Sarge), the one with like 3 floors with narrow corridors, filled with cherubs and imp closets, gets my nerves on edge every single time. Same with any place you have to fight a trite swarm in close quarters (esp. the monorail station where you fight them in a vacuum, waiting for an elevator).

Cherubs and trites are just the creepiest things.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doom 3 is poo poo

I don't think it even succeeded as a "horror game" because it stopped being scary one hour in and started getting tedious. The intro of the game when everything goes to poo poo is like the only good thing about it

The encounters were just dull, exacerbated by the horrrrrrrible gunplay

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I played Doom 3 and it’s expansion all the way thru for the first time a couple months ago. I thought it was fantastic.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am happy you had a good time with the trash game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I never played doom 3 but it sounds neat

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Doom 3 was the best shooter of its era hands down

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Unlocked a bunch of multiplayer stuff, and these taunts are so dumb it's wonderful. A pity it never really took off, but I definitely prefer they focused on singleplayer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I really hope they keep all the dances and taunts, and that they're available for campaign mode, considering the invasion mechanic.

e: please iD, please let me do this at a monster's or boss' corpse, and at other players :pray:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 8, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I played Doom 3 and it’s expansion all the way thru for the first time a couple months ago. I thought it was fantastic.

The atmosphere is legit great at times, and I did like the kinda sorta lifecycle of the imps and trites and stuff being spidery things that are birthed by the Vagary and the way folks' anxieties and desires sort of mix together with being possessed to give us Vagary and Sabaoth - something they used in Doom 2016 with how the Spider Mastermind isn't a demon in and of itself but human who has been gifted demonic powers. We joke about similarities to Devilman earlier in the thread (not that like it directly inspired anything in Doom just this bit) but I like that sort of idea of how some of the bosses are effectively a human who possesses a demon due to how driven they were about whatever.

I think what hurts it for me so much is the pacing and, weirdly, the cast. Doom 2016 has a small cast, there's Doomguy, Samuel Hayden, Vega, and Olivia Pierce (I mean there's THE ORIGIN also but that barely counts at this point). It's perfect.

I feel like Doom 3 is hurt by doing the System Shock 2 thing where in addition to Betruger and Sarge there's a large "cast" of non-characters whose stories you follow through logs and a bunch of people you run into that talk with you for a few seconds before they get killed off or become a demon anyway.

In System Shock 2 the former works great because your main character's life is normal, and then you wake up a space where everything's gone to poo poo and everyone's dead and you don't know what's going on, so you're piecing together a mystery and there's a few twists with how that plays out. But in Doom 3, I mean, it's Doom and you literally watch the hell wave happen in real time. For it to work I would have liked to, instead of seeing the massive overuse of imps, if there were instances where someone's audio logs or whatever their story was lead up to a few more rarely encountered demons where you know it's that specific former human in that specific form because of ___ motivation. That would have helped the horror part "pop" a little more too and added some more personality to the game.

Anyways I don't mean to poo poo on Doom 3 this much, I wanted to write this because a lot of the common complaints with Doom 3 like that it's dark or whatever aren't even really my problem with it. It was that it ends up being less than the sum of its parts as it never quite commits to the "WTF is happening here" mysterious kind of thing you need going on a little bit for it to be good survival horror to me. But it also never quite leans into the action as well as it could either because of the level design being about feeling trapped and survival horrory.

Speaking of which, the XBOX port of Doom 3 is kind of a technical miracle. The framerate is solid and, contrary to how it might seem at a glance, it actually doesn't have any real time lighting or shadows. The down side is they cut out like 1/5th of the game, basically a lot of the game's larger rooms aren't there. The upside of course being that the extremely common limited edition included Doom and Doom II. It also has a mini coop campaign which is rad. There was a Resurrection of Evil port too that's fully intact but the framerate suffers a lot.

Donovan Trip posted:

Doom 3 was the best shooter of its era hands down

I genuinely liked it more than Half-Life 2 at the time.

But Breakdown is still my favorite FPS of 2004 so my opinion might not count.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 8, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

my favorite fps of 2004 was ut2004 and i should have seen it coming that ut3 was poo poo considering DE wasn't working on it anymore

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, the XBOX port of Doom 3 is kind of a technical miracle. The framerate is solid and, contrary to how it might seem at a glance, it actually doesn't have any real time lighting or shadows.
But it does? That's why it's a technical miracle, the lightning model from the PC version is intact, heck they even kept in the self-shadowing from enemy projectiles, at least for imps anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No, youre spot on. Doom 3 is better than Half-Life 2 and Breakdown is loving incredible*

*Assuming you can survive the two insane difficulty spikes in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Neo Rasa posted:

I think what hurts it for me so much is the pacing and, weirdly, the cast. Doom 2016 has a small cast, there's Doomguy, Samuel Hayden, Vega, and Olivia Pierce (I mean there's THE ORIGIN also but that barely counts at this point). It's perfect.

I feel like Doom 3 is hurt by doing the System Shock 2 thing where in addition to Betruger and Sarge there's a large "cast" of non-characters whose stories you follow through logs and a bunch of people you run into that talk with you for a few seconds before they get killed off or become a demon anyway.

This right here.

Doom 3's biggest problem was its pacing. Everything up to pre-hell delta labs is way too drawn out. Pre-hell delta labs to end is fine, although a big of variety in the environments would be nice (DO4M's levels are all visually distinct from each other, with the possible exception of some of the later hell levels).

The audio logs also screw up the pacing mainly because they contain codes that you need. If there weren't door codes in the audio logs and emails, or they did the thing that DX:HR (I think?) did and displayed any code you "knew" above the keypad, then they wouldn't be obtrusive at all.