Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah it's kinda weird to point to Cage and Jessica Jones. They haven't exactly been costumed crusaders in a while in the comics.

On the note of IF Season 2, Joy is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That's the joke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah it's kinda weird to point to Cage and Jessica Jones. They haven't exactly been costumed crusaders in a while in the comics.

On the note of IF Season 2, Joy is great.

We've never seen Jess as an active costumed hero aside from flashbacks.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
They should tie Typhoid Mary in with Jessica Jones. Seems like that story would work well thematically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaunab posted:

They should tie Typhoid Mary in with Jessica Jones. Seems like that story would work well thematically.

Why, so she can get her neck broken in episode 2?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Now I feel stupid :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaunab posted:

When I was watching the horrible, awful and mega no-good second season of Jessica Jones, I honestly believed that Jessica's mom was supposed to be that character. An awful, uninteresting take on her.
I am so relieved that they will have another go at adapting her.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think if you took the first costume mask, make it a dark red and have something resembling tiny horns, that would be a good start. I'd like the main costume to stand out but I don't know what to do with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/1038615040914612225?s=19

I want to trust Vincent

As an aside I'm into ep 4 of if and ita not bad. The fights have been alright so far but nothing worth mentioning. I never saw s1 so i dont understand the relationships that are the backbone of the story though so thats a bit of an issue

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought Alice Eve was Nicole Kidman until episode 3. The resemblance is uncanny.

Also, random quasi-spoiler I guess. Can Danny only light up the fist in one hand? I mean I guess upon reflection that's all I remember seeing him do. I suppose I always thought that was a choice though. Is he actually incapable of making both hands glowy?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

I thought Alice Eve was Nicole Kidman until episode 3. The resemblance is uncanny.

Also, random quasi-spoiler I guess. Can Danny only light up the fist in one hand? I mean I guess upon reflection that's all I remember seeing him do. I suppose I always thought that was a choice though. Is he actually incapable of making both hands glowy?

They went real literal with the title, which is funny since the most popular Iron Fist book in the last forever went out of its way to say that the Iron Fist could extend his Chi or whatever to do a poo poo ton of cool stuff like flaming arrows and stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Now I feel stupid :(

It's not you that's stupid in this scenario.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

They went real literal with the title, which is funny since the most popular Iron Fist book in the last forever went out of its way to say that the Iron Fist could extend his Chi or whatever to do a poo poo ton of cool stuff like flaming arrows and stuff.

So uh

E06 turns out maybe not so much

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah even in Season 1 there's that scene where Bakuto shows Danny that he can heal using it. He just never applies himself.

E6 It's the best thing that possible super activity is a Code 616.

How do super villains just run around in these shows without the fear that Iron Man might show up and laser them into oblivion? I mean I know why, but nobody even mentions it as a threat.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 9, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/1038615040914612225?s=19

I want to trust Vincent

As an aside I'm into ep 4 of if and ita not bad. The fights have been alright so far but nothing worth mentioning. I never saw s1 so i dont understand the relationships that are the backbone of the story though so thats a bit of an issue

Why is he tweeting like Trump

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Getting in character!

Just occurred to me that there's a better than zero chance that, in an alternate universe where there was a cheap-rear end Daredevil tv series or movie in the mid 90s, Donald "As Seen In Home Alone 2 and Little Rascals" Trump would have played the Kingpin. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nah, he's not a good enough actor and his gigantic ego would demand a huge salary.

What's the point of casting someone who sucks if you can't underpay them?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

Well hes 60yo but also hes talked about being dyslexic before so im guessing that doesnt help

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finished Iron Fist S2. It was really good? Definitely better than I expected. Had some really neat ideas. I don't think any parts of it dragged as hard as the first season. That climax was not at all what I expected. Seriously, I was sitting there waiting for the entire climax to see how the glow would get transferred back into the white boy. I thought there was no way they go all the way with this. Clearly I was wrong. I thought for certain this was going to end with them putting on the masks, the sash, and having another go at things. Prove who is THE Iron Fist without any master to forfeit on Davos' behalf. Season 3 is going to be weird as hell. We have a new Iron Fist in town.

Weird thematic thing I'm noticing: Is this branch of Marvel Netflix about mothers? Daredevil S3 is going to feature his. Jessica Jones S2 featured hers. Colleen's mom being alive, Danny recounts his mother's last words to Ward, Joy low blows Ward about not being a surrogate mother. Luke Cage is my sticking point, but I feel like this can't be a coincidence.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 9, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Samuringa posted:

He's not though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm 3 episodes into Iron Fist and Danny is still written as a combination of naive and stubbornly angry. I don't know why they keep going for this characterization.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

Well hes 60yo but also hes talked about being dyslexic before so im guessing that doesnt help

Oh, I feel bad now :(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

I'm 3 episodes into Iron Fist and Danny is still written as a combination of naive and stubbornly angry. I don't know why they keep going for this characterization.

Probably because he was raised in hosed up circumstances tbf

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Weird thematic thing I'm noticing: Is this branch of Marvel Netflix about mothers? Daredevil S3 is going to feature his. Jessica Jones S2 featured hers. Colleen's mom being alive, Danny recounts his mother's last words to Ward, Joy low blows Ward about not being a surrogate mother. Luke Cage is my sticking point, but I feel like this can't be a coincidence.

Mariah being Nightshade's mom was a big part of s2.

Oh! And Matt's mom will be in s3 of DD

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Koalas March posted:

I think that was revealed at the end of Defenders,

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm sure you can count on one hand superheroes that have a good relationship with their parents.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Gaunab posted:

I'm sure you can count on one hand superheroes that have a good relationship with their parents.

Characters in fiction in general. Young characters because the writers want to give them a feeling of independence, older characters because of cheap drama.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Koalas March posted:

Mariah being Nightshade's mom was a big part of s2.

Yes! Duh, I am a dumb! I feel like I'm onto something here.

Gaunab posted:

Certainly, but I think it's interesting since MCU hinges so heavily on the male parental figures thing. It's in Black Panther, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Ant-Man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ep7 so namedropping erskine and sokovia makes this the most mcu connected story since the first episode of dd s1 right? lol

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I think that was revealed at the end of Defenders,

Yeah but I can't blame folks who didn't finish that slog 🤷🏾‍♀️

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

site posted:

Ep7 so namedropping erskine and sokovia makes this the most mcu connected story since the first episode of dd s1 right? lol

Well in season 2 of Jessica Jones they talk about The Raft a lot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just finished if

BRING FORTH DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON IRON COLLEEN!!!

what's up with danny going iron punisher lol

i was hoping mary was actually gonna end up being a sort of antihero merc sometimes ally, but then danny fights her instead of just knocking the gun away and explaining whats going on with the colleen/davos fight and that all went to poo poo, which was a bummer

E: overall id put it above jj s2 and post punisher dd s2, i dunno maybe tied with cage s2?? Somewhere around there

site fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 10, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker had them

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Episode 4: I knew the effin cops would screw everything up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The story and script were so much tighter in IF season 2. I think going with 10 episodes instead of 13 and having a single clearly defined villain solved the pacing issues almost entirely. Daredevil season 1 and the Punisher are the only netflix shows that didn't suffer tremendously from having 13 episodes.

It almost feels a little bit like trolling/cheating that they said we would see the original Iron Fist costume this season and it is on a dead body that is "very old" and "from a different time."

Also, is IF season 2 the first time that a Netflix show has had multiple references to something from the MCU with no nicknames and huge winks at the audience? JJS2 has The Raft and I think they mentioned Hulk too, but I can't remember for sure.

Typhoid Mary was in the Sokovian civil war and it's mentioned that Sokovia was effectively destroyed in modern times. Given the ages of Mary/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch, a civil war that the U.S. intervened in with Stark weapons, and it's made up location in Eurasia, it seems like they have decided to really lean into "Sokovia = Yugoslavia."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 10, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm disappointed that Gotham is getting a shortened final season that is jam packed. They have confirmed new villains Magpie, Bane, Man-Bat, Mutant Leader from DKR, Mother, and possibly Ventriloquist. 3 of them alone could be a half season arc or full season arc main bad guy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Getting in character!

Just occurred to me that there's a better than zero chance that, in an alternate universe where there was a cheap-rear end Daredevil tv series or movie in the mid 90s, Donald "As Seen In Home Alone 2 and Little Rascals" Trump would have played the Kingpin. :v:

John Rhys-Davis played the Kingpin in the Trial of The Incredible Hulk, opposite this Daredevil:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Davros1 posted:

John Rhys-Davis played the Kingpin in the Trial of The Incredible Hulk, opposite this Daredevil:

DD looks like a mime skiing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So was IF s2 good or bad.

Also I can't find a corroboration but a site was reporting that a Slashfilm interview (that I couldn't find) with the creative team behind the new Swamp Thing show said the suit is gonna be mostly practical and they're shooting for "hard R"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was good but not like, lofty like Daredevil or Jessica Jones season 1. It was just a fun show about people punching and kicking things with some character stuff going on.