Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally saw Three's a Crowd - Harry Langdon's directorial debut.

This is just weird and borderline inept. This has some of the worst continuity I've seen from the time. But it's really obvious Langdon was trying to do his own The Kid/Chaplin film. And Langdon doesn't even do much in the second half

On the plus side, the DVD includes Langdon's second self-directed film The Chaser, that's actually a funny, even if misogynistic, clever comedy. Basically, it revolves around Harry and his wife and their extremely estranged marriage. At one point, a repo man comes by to claim payment on items that haven't been paid for in a year. Harry brings down a baby carriage still in its wrapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Electronico6 posted:

I can see maybe a nomination, but winner is going to go to Stone/Colman/Weisz or Viola Davis.

Yeah, it's going to be one of them.

In other news, I might be reforming an old band from a decade ago (the difference is we're all sober now). The band's name: Johnnie Walker Wisdom. I just need to not get so deep in the hole for paying rent that I need to hock my guitar. But I'll get there.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Hat Thoughts posted:

lol this italian woman was talkin to me at a party going "This whole consent thing here - I do not understand it. It seems like - uh, 'mental chains'"

italy was a mistake

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

italy was a mistake

the whole drat place goes crazy twice, it's once for the devil and once for Christ

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Can I get some recommendations for yakuza films. I’ve become obsessed with the Yakuza games

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Can I get some recommendations for yakuza films. I’ve become obsessed with the Yakuza games

Battles without Honor or Humanity and its sequels. I haven't played the game but my understanding is they borrowed pretty heavily from it for the plot of one of the games.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anything by Takeshi Kitano.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you like the games then you can't go wrong with the game makers direct inspiration and just watch Takeshi Kitano movies. Sonatine, Fireworks and the Outrage series.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Fast and furious Tokyo drift

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Sydney Pollack movie Yakuza. Haven't seen enough proper yakuza films to compare though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Also The Yakuza written by Paul Shrader and Robert Towne, which in 1973(4?) was one of the most expensive screenplays ever bought. It's not all that amazing, but it does have Robert Mitchum in that 70's stage of career where he was still the best. I think it's still in Filmstruck.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They made an adaptation of the first Yakuza game, directed by acclaimed Japanese auteur Takashi Miike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hwuJ4nAcM

Edit: looking for this led me to find that he also directed a Yakuza vampire movie which looks like it kind of owns and has one of the guys from The Raid movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbU8RlAmF8

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 8, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill are both great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill.

Edit: Fuuuck. Ok, I'll recommend Ryuji for a small film about a Yakuza's destructive personal life.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks everyone. I’ve heard about the Battles w/o Honor and Humanity films and I’ve seen a few other Takeshi Kitano movies so I’ll probably start with some of those

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thanks everyone. I’ve heard about the Battles w/o Honor and Humanity films and I’ve seen a few other Takeshi Kitano movies so I’ll probably start with some of those

They’re on prime and it’ll recommend you a bunch of other stuff based on those, I know Rainy Dog and Ley Lines are on there

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Grendels Dad posted:

I assume reverse John Wick has a cat instead of a dog and since recent discussion concluded that cats are lazy rear end in a top hat actors, go for animation.

otoh if the story is that John Wick gets murdered and the cat takes revenge, just use a regular cat.

John wick is a k9 officer for swat, and when he gets killed for not rolling with corruption, he gets killed and his dog gets revenge with the help of a bright eyed rookie transfer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: looking for this led me to find that he also directed a Yakuza vampire movie which looks like it kind of owns and has one of the guys from The Raid movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbU8RlAmF8

It has some moments, but he has ten thousand better movies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

italy was a mistake

the food tho

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sounds like Olivia munn is sideways getting blacklisted over the predator scene.

https://www.twitter.com/FilmFatale_NYC/status/1038564071694655488

Costars are cancelling joint interviews with her and won't put out statements on the mess.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bushisms.txt posted:

Sounds like Olivia munn is sideways getting blacklisted over the predator scene.

Costars are cancelling joint interviews with her and won't put out statements on the mess.

I am shocked at this shocking event that has shocked me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched Seconds for the first time.

Goddamn. :stare:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1038215383864565760?s=19

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

They’re on prime and it’ll recommend you a bunch of other stuff based on those, I know Rainy Dog and Ley Lines are on there

You weren’t kidding, there’s like 8 of them on prime

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I can’t be bothered to dig up my post on it now, but my feeling ob the film is that, for an attempt to use The Sickness Unto Death as a means of navigating late capitalism, it’s a failure so grave that it almost feels like satire.

Schrader is so unable to conceive of a revolutionary model that he is stuck between the utter despair of suicidal martyrdom and the deadly denialism of “love wins.” He presents them as a dichotomy, when we know better that there is another way, a way out and forward.

He can grapple, soberly and seriously, for the whole feature’s runtime, with this problem, and he handles it admirably, but the problem for First Reformed isn’t a question of faith. It can’t be, because he hasn’t even investigated the path onto which we make the leap of faith.

also im gonna respond to this in about two weeks cause i have a delayed processing schedule when it comes to films

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

bushisms.txt posted:

I would think at least Keegan-Michael Key and Sterling K. Brown would be better than that, gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate where I stand here, and I know I’m going to catch poo poo, but I’m glad Munn got that scene cut and I think Shane Black hosed up and shouldn’t have hired the guy or at least warned Munn...but the whole film was thrown under the bus pretty much, and this issue will be all everyone will talk about.

This film seemed like a passion project from everyone because it’s a Predator movie and those don’t come from anywhere other than some kind of love for the series, and all that work from the cast and crew will be over shadowed by this.

It’s heartbreaking. I don’t know what anyone should say about it. The movie comes out in a week, and this dropped right before the film came out. It just seems like something is missing. Very frustrating story.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

I would think at least Keegan-Michael Key and Sterling K. Brown would be better than that, gently caress.

I'm guessing there's as much cowardice as there is outright misogyny here. I'm sure several of her costars have agents or publicists that are just telling them to avoid the whole situation and they're listening because they're loving spineless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean of course I’d be the guy to be sad about a predator movie and its issues. I just wanted a cool predator movie okay :(

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

also im gonna respond to this in about two weeks cause i have a delayed processing schedule when it comes to films

I feel that. My friends always ask me what I think about films when we’re leaving the theater cause they know I’m a “movie guy” but the number of times I’ve done a total 180 on a movie within 48 hrs is considerable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I hate where I stand here, and I know I’m going to catch poo poo, but I’m glad Munn got that scene cut and I think Shane Black hosed up and shouldn’t have hired the guy or at least warned Munn...but the whole film was thrown under the bus pretty much, and this issue will be all everyone will talk about.

This film seemed like a passion project from everyone because it’s a Predator movie and those don’t come from anywhere other than some kind of love for the series, and all that work from the cast and crew will be over shadowed by this.

It’s heartbreaking. I don’t know what anyone should say about it. The movie comes out in a week, and this dropped right before the film came out. It just seems like something is missing. Very frustrating story.

I think you're overestimating how many people are actually going to care about this at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I feel that. My friends always ask me what I think about films when we’re leaving the theater cause they know I’m a “movie guy” but the number of times I’ve done a total 180 on a movie within 48 hrs is considerable.

People are impressionable creatures, and a huge portion of how we react to film is emotional and visceral -- and moreover, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think it's much better to articulate your position clearly, understand how you got there, let other people challenge it, and then change your mind (or not) than it is to never say anything you're not sure of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. Most likely. But it’s just a bummer from top to bottom.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's sad if they didn't back her up in interviews and such, but I'm not gonna think badly of them for ovating their director at the premiere.
Unless she asked them to not stand for him beforehand I wouldn't think that's a gesture against her.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 9, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm definitely a little unsure about whether I'm going to see Predator in the theater after this, despite the fact it's the only movie coming out around my birthday that doesn't look like dogshit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I Before E posted:

I'm definitely a little unsure about whether I'm going to see Predator in the theater after this, despite the fact it's the only movie coming out around my birthday that doesn't look like dogshit

i assume this means you live in a city that won't be getting Mandy, because that comes out the same day and...

i mean come on

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
A mash-up of Ravel's Bolero and Uptown Girl would work pretty good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

i assume this means you live in a city that won't be getting Mandy, because that comes out the same day and...

i mean come on

Mandy is unfortunately a limited release.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean come on

Lafayette doesn't get poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

K. Waste posted:

God drat NJ transit sucks

Truth. Always surprised we have a lot of Garden Goons here.

• Locked thread