Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

noted bad coach has 6 consecutive winning seasons with five of those seasons having at least a single playoff win

the seahawks may not be world beaters any more but lol at the idea that Pete Carroll is a bad coach. You may not like him personally or may not like his approach or style but it is a little silly to think that a bad coach could lead to that kind of success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1037933239782924288?s=20

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

shirts and skins posted:

I respect a lot of your insights on here and agree that Pete has his problems (gently caress Jordan Peterson), but I think the burden of proof is pretty high on you here if you're going to call him a "bad coach". The dude was just a hair away from his sixth straight double digit win season. How many coaches have managed that, ever? This is a league that still employs Marvin Lewis. Pat Shurmur just got another head coaching job.

Pete may or may not be on the decline but he's by far and away the best coach this team has ever had. I'm gonna need a few years in the wilderness before I'll believe he's done, and even still I'm not gonna call him a "bad coach".

I was exaggerating for comedic effect and because I knew it would get some people riled. I'll stop trolling because you seem cool.

In reality I think Pete isn't awful, just a mediocre coach who lucked into some amazing defensive talent and parlayed that into a Super Bowl win and some good seasons. He's been coasting on that talent and that win for quite a while, and the Seahawks have had a steady downward trajectory for a few years now. The drafting hasn't been great, the hiring/firing of staff has been downright strange, and to be honest I didn't really buy him as a genius coach from the beginning. Now that we've got an opportunity to see if he can make lightning strike twice and I don't think it's gonna happen.

The stuff in that article also confirms my opinion that he fosters a dysfunctional locker room and is not able to get veterans to respect him. His response to that is to try to clean house and take control back, something a good coach doesn't need to do in the first place. Of course you give out special treatment and allow RW to snitch to you this kind of thing is going to happen.

Basically, my opinion is that the Legion of Boom and the success the Seahawks had was due to the players that were a part of it almost entirely, and very little due to Pete Carroll. We can bring up this conversation again after the Seahawks go 6-10 two years in a row and I'm not the only one calling for someone new.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

DOWNLOAD APP

1 HR AGO

A New Season

Every day I wake up grateful. Grateful that God has blessed me with the opportunity to play the game I love. Grateful that God has blessed me to be motivated and inspired by not only my own internal drive, but even more so by the teammates and friends I get to work with every day.

Practice is where we create goals and build our foundation of trust. Football is not an individual sport. A team is made up of many dynamics, and each player has a unique skill set that makes him among the best in the division.

Take Tyler Lockett for example, that man was born to run, no question about it. As soon as that ball is in his hands he’s down the field, it’s an instinct. Then there are the guys who just seem to know how to make big plays at the right time, like Doug Baldwin. He is so clutch—no matter when we’re playing or who we’re up against he always follows through. KJ Wright, aka ‘Spider-Man,’ is incredible—his prowess as a linebacker is truly extraordinary.

Surrounding yourself with the right people is highly important in order to succeed. All the guys on the team are impressive to watch and learn from. And as QB I’m especially grateful to have a leader on our Offensive Line like Justin Britt. He is one who literally has my back every single play, and supports the entire team individually and as a whole. The power of influence is another great quality that is mastered by Duane Brown - although he joined the team this last year, he owns the field and helps maintain cohesion.

Our team is fresh this year, it gives us the cutting edge. We’ve added some incredibly talented, hungry players, who are eager to learn from the vets. Sebastian Janikowski is one whose experience is treasured, his natural aptitude gives him a true legacy. But we still have that original core of Seahawks like my man Bobby Wagner. The best linebacker in the league year and year out he is as fierce as anyone I've ever seen. He’s the definition of resiliency and consistency, the epitome of a Seattle Seahawk. It's this mixture of new and old that is going to be our identity this year and will help push us over the top.

Watching the twins, Shaquem and Shaquill embrace one another on a daily basis is one of my biggest inspirations this year. Watching two brothers, who grew up together, played together, shed tears and laughter together, shared life together, once again getting the opportunity to share the field together in the NFL is the gift of inspiration that keeps on giving. Watching Shaquem dominate the game of football with only one hand demonstrates why we should never give up. He's not only an inspiration to me but is an inspiration all over the world.

Our power is also due to the man who never sleeps, a bubblegum chewing fanatic, the one and only, Coach Pete Carroll. He works the details, and he puts in the time and effort to prepare us for every play and every situation. His passion is what has kept us together as a team through thick and thin. It’s because of him that my love for the game has reached highs I never thought imaginable.

12s are you ready for the best season yet? I know we are. CenturyLink we’re coming for you! Bring on the roar, the shaking of concrete, the sea of blue and green, the pierce of the Hawk’s eye. The spirit in Seattle is so thick you can feel it in the air. The competition is already running through my veins.

I hold myself to the highest standards and will continue to lift others up, respect all, help lead our team to greatness, to the Super Bowl.

This is the year for us. It’s a year for building, bonding, being champions. Huddle up, it’s game time!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It is super duper hard for a team to win a superbowl, even if the team is better than their opposition. Football is a high variance sport.

Outside of the Patriots, nobody in the modern NFL really has continued super bowl appearances. And let's not gloss over the fact that the AFC is weak, and the AFC East is comically weak.

The Hawks were one throw away from repeating as Superbowl champs. On a play that the defense had never successfully stopped in practice.

Yea, it’s real hard, in part because of dynamics like this where teams fracture over time around issues of pay, fame, favoritism, etc...

But you rarely hear these kind of stories coming out of other teams. The fact that you’re hearing this one indicates that Pete did a particularly bad job of managing those dynamics. There’s obviously some fire given all of the smoke over the past couple of years and I don’t think this was the inevitable result.

Pete’s a good coach but I think he’s on the downslope of his career because he’s old as hell, he’s made some really questionable hires, his GM isn’t hitting the way he used to, and the division is getting stronger on the whole.

I don’t see how you can square “Russell Wilson is the future of this team and we need to build around him” with “let’s hire Brian loving Schottenheimer to coach him.”

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.traceme.com/russell-wilson/4754/?_branch_match_id=529868742181403794

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Any time DFG starts to be the most frequent poster, you know things have gotten good.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Play posted:

Basically, my opinion is that the Legion of Boom and the success the Seahawks had was due to the players that were a part of it almost entirely, and very little due to Pete Carroll. We can bring up this conversation again after the Seahawks go 6-10 two years in a row and I'm not the only one calling for someone new.

Meh, you may be right, of course. I want things to go well, but that's the optimism of fandom. There's a reason why I was excited this off-season though, I knew that last team wouldn't last much longer and it was good to see them acknowledge that and go in a new direction rather than fart around stagnantly for a few years.

They're gonna lose on Sunday in any case, Fluker is out and Von Miller is going to eat Germain Ifedi alive. I think Sanders is going to have a huge day in the slot, too. Opening at Mile High is just brutal.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

shirts and skins posted:

Meh, you may be right, of course. I want things to go well, but that's the optimism of fandom. There's a reason why I was excited this off-season though, I knew that last team wouldn't last much longer and it was good to see them acknowledge that and go in a new direction rather than fart around stagnantly for a few years.

They're gonna lose on Sunday in any case, Fluker is out and Von Miller is going to eat Germain Ifedi alive. I think Sanders is going to have a huge day in the slot, too. Opening at Mile High is just brutal.

Seahawks record on road openers is incredibly bad and Case Keenum is very good under pressure, i guve this game 50/50. Seahawks still making playoffs whether they win or lose this game.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Actually you have lovely opinions and incorrect analysis of football pretty much across the forum. So you don't get to retreat now pretending to be the trolling puppet master.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Coldforge posted:

Any time DFG starts to be the most frequent poster, you know things have gotten good.

i miss the lwb days myself

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JPrime posted:

i miss the lwb days myself

post the receipts

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This season is gonna look a lot like last season except we won't have Blair Walsh to blame for losses and everyone in Seattle is going to quit on them even though that's actually a pretty good outing for a team that's resetting this hard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Couldn't agree with you more regarding taking the Hawks in a new direction, I just feel they could've taken that plan a bit further and bring some new blood into the coaching room/front office and really make a clean break from the Legion of Boom era. Obviously that would be a very bold decisions because as you guys pointed out he's had a lot of success, the most successful coach in Seahawks history. In my mind though waiting for him to fail worse is being reactive rather than proactive.

I like Denver's chances against them, but they still definitely have a chance. I'm super curious to see the game because we'll finally get a real idea of what the team will be like this year.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, it’s real hard, in part because of dynamics like this where teams fracture over time around issues of pay, fame, favoritism, etc...

But you rarely hear these kind of stories coming out of other teams. The fact that you’re hearing this one indicates that Pete did a particularly bad job of managing those dynamics. There’s obviously some fire given all of the smoke over the past couple of years and I don’t think this was the inevitable result.
I feel like you rarely hear these kind of stories coming out of other teams because there aren't as many other "potential dynasty" teams. There's just teams that have a good qb then get hot at the right time to make a deep playoff run. So when there is a team like the 2012 Seahawks, there's already a built narrative that lends itself to these kinds of articles.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pete’s a good coach but I think he’s on the downslope of his career because he’s old as hell, he’s made some really questionable hires, his GM isn’t hitting the way he used to, and the division is getting stronger on the whole.

I don’t see how you can square “Russell Wilson is the future of this team and we need to build around him” with “let’s hire Brian loving Schottenheimer to coach him.”

Agreed 100%. Pete's biggest flaw is his awful choices in coordinators. And a dogged loyalty to them even when they aren't performing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Actually you have lovely opinions and incorrect analysis of football pretty much across the forum. So you don't get to retreat now pretending to be the trolling puppet master.

my opinions are good and strong and I do what I want

Play fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 7, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna bet most locker rooms have similar experiences that was described in that article, but the fact that we always hear about Seattle's locker room issues really speaks to the culture that Carroll cultivated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When the Incognito stuff came out, the Dolphins coach rightfully caught poo poo for that too, and for the same good reasons.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Nah, he's pretty hit or miss like everyone else on these forums. He's just brave/stupid&arrogant enough to frequently state his view.

We all dumb here. Except you, of course.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Coldforge posted:

Nah, he's pretty hit or miss like everyone else on these forums. He's just brave/stupid&arrogant enough to frequently state his view.

We all dumb here. Except you, of course.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coldforge posted:

He's just stupid & arrogant enough to frequently state his view.

Ummm, excuse me? You forgot drunk :colbert:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Congrats on deciphering forum post format, DFG. Learn a little every day!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
the more i think about this the more i think it's sour grapes from sherman

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

DaFrugalGamer posted:

post the receipts

i am now glad i have not returned to that hellspace.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JPrime posted:

i am now glad i have not returned to that hellspace.

u left?

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1038156297659539457?s=20

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME
i only read the last page and play is right

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
*Pete Carroll builds great defenses everywhere he goes, wins titles at both college and pro level in unprecedented fashion, will almost certainly go into the Hall of Fame*

"Hmm yes just a mediocre coach who stumbled into one good defense"

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Great defenses are born, not made.

*Taps temple in sagely fashion*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

*Pete Carroll builds great defenses everywhere he goes, wins titles at both college and pro level in unprecedented fashion, will almost certainly go into the Hall of Fame*

"Hmm yes just a mediocre coach who stumbled into one good defense"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

His legendary defense was built by an alcoholic draft wizard and he proceeded to spend $75 and a packet of big league chew for several years to protect his franchise QB.

Their window is over because he has so thoroughly mismanaged the team over the last few years.

He is still better than about half the coaches out there so you have to keep him though.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He is still better than about half the coaches out there so you have to keep him though.
And there’s the other thing. Who is both available and an upgrade?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The way he won titles at USC, via flagrant cheating, has plenty of precedent.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For all his faults, if Pete didn't love garbage offensive coaches so much he'd probably still be sitting pretty.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bob Socko posted:

And there’s the other thing. Who is both available and an upgrade?

No idea. I think he's old and his brain is slowing down but his teams are prepared and Wilson is a sack dodging cheat code. As soon as Wilson gets injured he's fired.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Pete is also really good at developing defensive talent

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Pete is also really good at developing defensive talent

just look what he did for Malcolm Butler's career!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ork fans get really mad when you bring this up, so checks out

But they don't get mad when the red ones go faster hrumph :mad:

Also Russell Wilson is good and my QB

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
There's real football today, between honest to god NFL teams, not those namby-pamby mid-West and East coast pretenders.

*checks to make sure there's no divisional games*

Go NFC Best :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I appreciate the sentiment, but this isn't college football! We don't need strength of schedule rankings to get in the playoffs. So screw the NFC West, except for my team!

Really don't see Seattle winning in Denver though. :-/ Because of injuries we're gonna see Tre Flowers (not that one, this is a new one) start at CB2...about a year early in my estimation. Perfect Carroll CB body, but he played safety in college and has a lot to learn. Godspeed, lanky dude.