Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Sure, but the statues, the crypt, the puzzles. Does that not all hinge on draconic? Again, no idea how much he improvised and I wouldn't put it past him to give our first-timer a few extra moments to shine.

Did you recruit one of the Kobolds as a guide. Cause they can translate for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lateral and abstract thinking? Perish the thought!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Most of my creative problem solving in game is creatively using one enemy as a tool to harm many enemies. Next on my list of feats of glory to try for will be carrying around an enemy and shooting their breath weapon at their friends.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you recruit one of the Kobolds as a guide. Cause they can translate for you.

Huh, nah. That was never an option for us. It's good to know it doesn't just get ruined if nobody took Draconic.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gandhichan posted:

For RP/Story Reasons, I've been considering multiclassing my paladin into sorcerer levels (draconic bloodline) after level 6, but I do not want to necessarily shoot myself in the foot by possibly gimping an already kind of suboptimal character

What's the particular reason you're multiclassing, in-story? You can always just give your existing paladin abilities some sorcerer/dragonish flavour without actually changing your class.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Huh, nah. That was never an option for us. It's good to know it doesn't just get ruined if nobody took Draconic.

Odd the Kobold Meepo should be one of the first creatures encountered, and He is basically designed to become a sidekick and guide to parties.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Odd the Kobold Meepo should be one of the first creatures encountered, and He is basically designed to become a sidekick and guide to parties.

Meepo owns and it sucks that your DM didn’t use him.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.

bewilderment posted:

What's the particular reason you're multiclassing, in-story? You can always just give your existing paladin abilities some sorcerer/dragonish flavour without actually changing your class.

To try to keep it short, he's a "dragonwrought" kobold -- I understand this was a feat with mechanical benefits in 3.5e, but in the context of this campaign all it means is a kobold with an ostensible connection to their draconic heritage, though my DM very kindly gave him poison resistance for being a 4' green dragon dude. This is a huge deal for his warren, but despite their efforts to groom him for a position of prominence (they're city kobolds who can basically take any clout they can get when it comes to representatives who aren't lovely weaklings) he was more interested in his own knightly, chivalrous aspirations. Leaving the warren wasn't a 100% clean break, and his relationship with his own people and identity is consequently pretty strained.

He's been recently forced to confront that element of his past, and in my mind I thought it'd be interesting for the draconic sorcerer levels to reflect him gradually reexamining his own heritage instead of rejecting it outright, and tapping into the potential that his kobold caretakers saw in him, etc.

You're 100% right though, and if multiclassing in this case is just Straight Up Worse then I don't want to put the other players through that. (My DM did okay it for his sub-13 strength and seemed pretty enthused by the idea, at least.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
If the goal is just to do a level or two dip, you might want to look at warlock levels mechanically and flavor them as appropriate.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
I was more looking at a Paladin 6 / Sorcerer Whatever progression but Warlock also seems like it'd be cool (though it'd be the 3rd warlock in the game lol.) Shortly after our Fey Warlock ditched us I did consider it to pick up a bunch of the story threads she dropped, but decided against it since he's not a fey kind of dude. Either way I'll take a look since EB is Very Good and I've been eyeing up Hexblade for a separate game, which seems like it'd synergize well with a paladin.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
You've already got maxed DEX and Extra Attack so if you want to multiclass just take Sorcerer levels. Shield and more spell slots to smite are good, as I mentioned earlier.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Okay we did meet him and he guided us to his boss, but not through all the other stuff.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

gently caress I saw this and was paranoid for a sec. I played a Kobold trapper in a game years ago I didn't know that name belonged to an official wizards character with the same name. If you google image search Kobold Meepo my guy is the fat one with the hat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay we did meet him and he guided us to his boss, but not through all the other stuff.
This is the worst thing I've read in this thread

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Bit of a shame. Cause this is a line that the Kobold boss is supposed to say.

Kobold Boss Yusdrayl posted:

"The goblins stole our dragon! If you return Calcryx to us, I shall grant you a reward. Meepo can accompany you if you desire.”

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

OmanyteJackson posted:

gently caress I saw this and was paranoid for a sec. I played a Kobold trapper in a game years ago I didn't know that name belonged to an official wizards character with the same name. If you google image search Kobold Meepo my guy is the fat one with the hat.

Okay but he's really cute. Was he fun to play?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bit of a shame. Cause this is a line that the Kobold boss is supposed to say.

The real shame here is that’s actually what Yusdrayl said but the PCs (rightfully) didn’t trust her or Meepo and immediately declined to take him with them, however the goat declined to mention this important detail! I’ll have none of these libelous halftruths besmirching my good reputation thx I’m the DM and feel like I just read his diary

PS, now that the players are out of it I was legit disappointed by the treatment of Sunless Citadel in TftYP - tons of incomplete room and NPC descriptions, total absence of mention of certain doors/exits that are on the map and important for the PCs to know about or solve for, and other aspects of the 5e upgrade that are important for the DM but were either omitted or ignored.

As much as some of you bitch about how dungeon crawls are too linear and nonsensical (“you see a vampire” etc) running this sadly reinforced all that. I felt like I had to layer in a lot of spice to make this lukewarm turd of a TV dinner be even halfway palatable.

I ran with SC after seeing a number of sources hailing it as a great starter module for new players but now I have to think that the sentiment supporting it as such was from the same (now minority of) people that are/were still satisfied by 70s era game design and/or have idealized memories of how much fun they had when D&D dungeon designs were simpler and expectations were lower.

As a new DM I didn’t really have the experience or context to quite put my thumb on how restrictive and compartmentalized the Citadel would really be as-written. I think the players had fun regardless - and now they’re off to Waterdeep anyway for some totally different flavor - but I would warn away any DM new or otherwise from running the Sunless Citadel (as it is in TfrYP) as-is.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay but he's really cute. Was he fun to play?

yes and no. I used the Trapper theme in 4e which was pretty useless but he was fun to roleplay as.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tremek posted:

The real shame here is that’s actually what Yusdrayl said but the PCs (rightfully) didn’t trust her or Meepo and immediately declined to take him with them, however the goat declined to mention this important detail! I’ll have none of these libelous halftruths besmirching my good reputation thx I’m the DM and feel like I just read his diary

PS, now that the players are out of it I was legit disappointed by the treatment of Sunless Citadel in TftYP - tons of incomplete room and NPC descriptions, total absence of mention of certain doors/exits that are on the map and important for the PCs to know about or solve for, and other aspects of the 5e upgrade that are important for the DM but were either omitted or ignored.

As much as some of you bitch about how dungeon crawls are too linear and nonsensical (“you see a vampire” etc) running this sadly reinforced all that. I felt like I had to layer in a lot of spice to make this lukewarm turd of a TV dinner be even halfway palatable.

I ran with SC after seeing a number of sources hailing it as a great starter module for new players but now I have to think that the sentiment supporting it as such was from the same (now minority of) people that are/were still satisfied by 70s era game design and/or have idealized memories of how much fun they had when D&D dungeon designs were simpler and expectations were lower.

As a new DM I didn’t really have the experience or context to quite put my thumb on how restrictive and compartmentalized the Citadel would really be as-written. I think the players had fun regardless - and now they’re off to Waterdeep anyway for some totally different flavor - but I would warn away any DM new or otherwise from running the Sunless Citadel (as it is in TfrYP) as-is.

Ah hearing the DM's side makes this much less bad

Speaking of Waterdeep, I got the Dragon Heist Book. Anyone else interested in finding anything out.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I’m prepping with it too right now. Thus far I’m actually really impressed by the relative depth of both the adventure (also the flexibility - neat take there, no spoilers) and also the texture of the surrounding content for Waterdeep itself. Really excited to flesh it out and crank up the verisimilitude for my players in a way I really couldn’t with SC.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like that it even has a city guide.

Out of curiosity which villain are you most interested in.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wouldn't mind an at-a-glance review. I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks or so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

I wouldn't mind an at-a-glance review. I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks or so.

Then in spoiler blocks.

Book is good and is divided into 10 sections.
A introduction that explains the basics of the adventure including were the Treasure Hoard came from. Dagult Neverember former Open Lord of Waterdeep and current ruler of Neverwinter embezzled about 500,000 Gold and hid it in a secret vault until he would need it, he managed to convince a Gold Dragon to serve as it's guardian, until him or someone sent by him came to collect it. In order to make sure no one could find out were the vault was Neverember used an artifact called the Stone of Golorr (Which is actually an Aboleth that was turned into a stone.) to erase it's location from the minds of him and his followers. Only the person holding the stone would be able to remember the location and how to open it. However Dagult was voted out as Waterdeeps open lord soon after and the Stone was stolen by the Xanathar Guild, and Dagult gave up eventually on recovering it. However at the start of the story the stone is stolen from Xanathar, which kicks off the plot.
It then goes over the motives for the villains of the story and why they want the stone and treasure.
Xanathar is a just a greedy beholder, and feels the treasure would best be secure with him then left in the vault, now that the stone is out in the wild.
The Cassalanters are a husband and wife who sold their children's souls to Asmodeus in exchange for long life and success in their business endeavors. However having lost their oldest son's soul to Asmodeus and realizing their remaining two young children will their souls when they turn nine, they make another bargain with Asmodeus to save their children. Namely by paying “one shy of a million gold coins, and the sacrifice of one shy of one hundred unfortunate souls.” their children will be saved. And want the 500,000 to avoid financial ruin when they pay up.
Jarlaxle wants to use the gold to secure membership for him and Luskan in the Lords' Alliance and drive Dagult Neverember and Neverwinter who opposes him out of the Lords' Alliance.
Manshoon wants to take over Waterdeep and plans to use the gold to pay off Zhentarim leaders and many of the Masked Lords of Waterdeep into ousting the current open lord Laeral Silverhand and replacing her with him. And eventually securing his power base that he rules Waterdeep as a tyrant.

Will give a basic rundown of the chapters of the adventure later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chapter 1
The party at the Yawning Portal Inn is given a quest by Volo to rescue a friend of his. (Who was because of mistaken identity.) When the characters finish the mission Volo rewards them with the deed to an abandoned manor in Waterdeep. (Volo bought it hearing it was haunted and thought it would be for his next book. Volo's Guide to Spirits and Specters.)

Chapter 2
The party gets their new manor which is haunted by a poltergeist in the tavern part of the building. The characters can appease the Poltergeist if they repair the tavern with the goal of reopening it, upon which instead of causing trouble will then help them. Or they can destroy it. Alongside this various factions will try to recruit the party and give them missions if membership is desired. If the party decides to open the tavern there is a bunch of side stuff involving the local guilds and neighbors that will help the business get running as well, along with a rival tavern owner that will try to sabotage them.

Chapter 3
When the main plot starts. A fireball is sent off in the Alley near the parties manor. A result of a clash between the rival villain factions which results in investigative work and finding out who set off the fireball and why. Who the villain of the chapter works for depends on the the choice of main villain.

Chapter 4
The characters will have found out about the Gold and the Stone that leads to it. And a series of linked encounters (that are changed depending on who the villain is and what season it is.) should result in the party obtaining the stone, and discovering the Vault. Then it's a matter of getting the gold and preventing the villain from taking it from you.

With this the main plot of the story is over, and it goes into optional content.

Chapter 5
A chapter that discusses Xanathar, his lair and events you can throw into the story he is involved with. Along with effects of the season

Chapter 6
Same but with the Cassalanters

Chapter 7
Same but with Jarlaxle

Chapter 8
Same but with Manshoon

Chapter 9
A guide made by Volo about the city of Waterdeep and neumerous things about the city.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tremek posted:

Oh that's balls :( I have very fond memories of the 3.x version, I'm sad to hear it's fallen so far.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Well everything in context right? I have great memories of some Genesis games that judged by game design standards today are simplistic and crude; it doesn’t diminish the fun I had with them as a kid but it also is a positive indication that our expectations are higher now.

But yeah also the TftYP writeup seems to be phoned in and that doesn’t help what’s already a claustrophobic grid slog.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1038804439224610816

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1038805181259862016

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1038818774785318919

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Actually,. all of this jives with the PHB, so I'm not sure what the gotcha you are going for is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's the problem gradenko? A ranged (weapon attack) and an attack made with a ranged weapon are completely different things, except when they're not. It's perfectly clear. Rulings not rules! Natural language!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 9, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Actually,. all of this jives with the PHB, so I'm not sure what the gotcha you are going for is.

In fact, it's one of the things that makes thrown weapons like javelins viable with Barbarians because Rage and Frenzy won't affect them, otherwise.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
That exchange should have no emotional impact on me whatsoever, and yet... drat, it's like pulling teeth to get some useful info out of him.

The guy just wants to know if he can use the -5/+10 ability of the feat with thrown daggers. He could've just said, "No, the feat requires you to use a weapon that is specifically classified as a Ranged Weapon, and Melee Weapon is a different classification even if it happens to be used at range". Hardly elegant but it's about as good as it gets with 5e's oh-so-transparent natural language. But no, gently caress that. Instead we (poorly) explain how some categories work, without actually explaining how that interacts and what the final answer is.

It's bad enough that "ranged weapon attack" can be something entirely different than an "attack with a ranged weapon" or even a "Ranged Weapon attack", so at least make your tweets clear. And don't even get me started on the Sneak Attack question.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
poo poo, a javelin wielding monk who can use javelins as monk weapons and occasionally chuck them to do a ranged stunning strike is p cool. Why do you hate fun?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
R A N G E D S M I T E

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I miss sneak attack working with eldritch blast. My 3.5 rogue/warlock was suboptimal but pretty fun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toshimo posted:

In fact, it's one of the things that makes thrown weapons like javelins viable with Barbarians because Rage and Frenzy won't affect them, otherwise.

Toshimo posted:

poo poo, a javelin wielding monk who can use javelins as monk weapons and occasionally chuck them to do a ranged stunning strike is p cool. Why do you hate fun?

Toshimo posted:

R A N G E D S M I T E
All of these require melee weapon attacks, not attacks made with a melee weapon. None of these work.

e: you can make a bonus attack as a monk off a thrown monk weapon javelin, but that has nothing to do with these rules.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 9, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Splicer posted:

All of these require melee weapon attacks, not attacks made with a melee weapon. None of these work.

:thejoke:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
...are you sure? Crawford's words do actually jive with the PHB, he's just doing an incredibly obtuse job of explaining his terribly worded rules.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Waterdeep, I got the Dragon Heist Book. Anyone else interested in finding anything out.

Yes

Thank you very much for the update!

I'm interested in the nobles, is there anything in particular that they have?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 9, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

Oh that's balls :( I have very fond memories of the 3.x version, I'm sad to hear it's fallen so far.

Actually it's pretty much the exact same as the 3e version. His complaints are less to do with the 5e version and more with the Sunless Citadel period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can understand not wanting people to use a thrown dagger or javelin to deliver your melee perks 6 tiles out as a freebie.

It's the sort of person obsessed with "Sorry, it's a THROWN weapon! so gently caress right off with your ranged attack abilities" that clearly hate fun. Because at that point you are already operating at a loss compared to a proper "ranged weapon" anyways, so come oooooon.

Wishy washy wording does not help matters either way. But clear wording for something like "Sharpshooter? not for daggers" would still be a real killjoy. Not even for damage reasons, basic stuff like not having trouble throwing daggers past teammates due to bringing back "Allies provide cover for enemies" rules.

Which causes the mental image of a rogue putting away their knife because they aren't sure they can angle it around their barbarian friend, so they pull out a flintlock and curve the bullet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 9, 2018