Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Strudel Man posted:

That quote always bugged me. The metaphor of "god playing dice" is about randomness in physics. Saying "the dice are loaded" would be suggesting that there is a predetermined outcome, which means god's not playing dice at all.

If I remember correctly, it's about quantum physics. How much sense it really makes or not is beyond my ken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

doverhog posted:

If I remember correctly, it's about quantum physics. How much sense it really makes or not is beyond my ken.
Yes, "god does not play dice" is essentially denying the probabilistic interpretation of quantum physics in favor of the "hidden variables" interpretation. "The dice are loaded" is a statement trying to put a clever spin on it, but it ends up not actually making sense given what's being talked about.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Loaded dice don't always land a certain way, they just do it most of the time. Maybe that is the angle?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

First place my mind went after that bottom picture:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strudel Man posted:

That quote always bugged me. The metaphor of "god playing dice" is about randomness in physics. Saying "the dice are loaded" would be suggesting that there is a predetermined outcome, which means god's not playing dice at all.

I always interpreted it as "The universe appears to be random and non-determined but it's going to gently caress you over anyway"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I always interpreted it as "The universe appears to be random and non-determined but it's going to gently caress you over anyway"

The Unjust Universe

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

doverhog posted:

Loaded dice don't always land a certain way, they just do it most of the time. Maybe that is the angle?
Then it's not really saying anything new; probabilistic quantum physics certainly doesn't say that every outcome has equal probability. The issue is whether randomness is in play at all.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hah, well. Not much to do with the Einstein quote, but maybe the writer did have something like that in mind.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you wanna look at it in universe, it's from a book by Sheng-ji Yang. Looking God in the Eye. That guy is a war criminal and a dictator, and his book is likely to be propagandist nonsense ghost written to justify whatever great leap he's about to do next.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

B Too, Washington DC.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

First place my mind went after that bottom picture:

I don't see what Chris Christie has to do with anything

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

chitoryu12 posted:

B Too, Washington DC.

Who the hell eats sandwiches in the bathroom and needs that information?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Helicity posted:

Who the hell eats sandwiches in the bathroom and needs that information?

I saw it as a “Grade your deuce” chart.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Boy tokes like Bill Clinton. Shameful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Don’t think the sausages are to be compared to a deuce, friend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I usually leave a Vienna, every now and then a bratwurst depending on fiber.

E: I’m just trying to make sense of this crazy world with a sausage chart in a toilet stall.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

That is absolutely a poo chart. A turd so long it coils around the inside of the bowl, that's your kielbasa.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Proteus Jones posted:

I usually leave a Vienna, every now and then a bratwurst depending on fiber.

E: I’m just trying to make sense of this crazy world with a sausage chart in a toilet stall.

It's definitely a poo poo chart.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

B Too, Washington DC.

this is clearly a ploy by Big Hemorrhoid Cream.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Oh shi- are you supposed to use a different cream for the big ones? I just always use the same one for all of em.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Paladinus posted:

It's definitely a poo poo chart.

And here was me thinking it was a dick-size chart...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Elfface posted:

And here was me thinking it was a dick-size chart...

Why can't it be both?

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zil posted:

Why can't it be both?

download the new app Poopr, find the one person that will fill you just right

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

doverhog posted:

If you wanna look at it in universe, it's from a book by Sheng-ji Yang. Looking God in the Eye. That guy is a war criminal and a dictator, and his book is likely to be propagandist nonsense ghost written to justify whatever great leap he's about to do next.

So you're not gonna go into the recycling tank, then?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

M’SPAINT :tipshat:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Strudel Man posted:

Even if God is playing dice he is omniscient so he knows the outcome so they are practically loaded.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Em, Esp Ain't

doverhog
May 31, 2013

bony tony posted:

So you're not gonna go into the recycling tank, then?

You ask that as if I have a choice in the matter. It is your duty to go into the tanks, that's like a basic building block of society. New humans go in the creche, expired humans go in the tanks.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even if God is playing dice he is omniscient so he knows the outcome so they are practically loaded.

Hold up I'm starting to notice some logical inconsistencies with the concept of omnipotence and omniscience

Somebody get the Pope on the phone, I'm about to schism this mother harder than it's ever been schismed before

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was looking at mobility devices and some of the advertising is, uh

:same:
I'm not sure how a cane with a fold out seat is going to help tho.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Facebook Aunt posted:

I was looking at mobility devices and some of the advertising is, uh

:same:
I'm not sure how a cane with a fold out seat is going to help tho.

Not funny at all, drat

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Hold up I'm starting to notice some logical inconsistencies with the concept of omnipotence and omniscience

Somebody get the Pope on the phone, I'm about to schism this mother harder than it's ever been schismed before

Can God microwave a burrito so hot even He can't eat it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

This is my hole! It was made for me!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That’s the look of a cat that knows it’s still got a ways to go to make it to Zihuatanejo.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Proteus Jones posted:

Best chart for that is the Bristol Stool Chart:

I've been eating and exercising recently, laying a lot of #3s and #4s.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
We get enough posts about poo poo from GG tbh

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's true, whenever I find I'm getting a tart instead of cheesecake I am disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/VegPol/status/1038451174238826496