Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Relax Or DIE posted:

I just learned that the 100% speedrun record for Baten Kaitos is 341 hours long

It takes that long for one of the cards to transform (an egg to hatch iirc?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
That's still insane but less so on the runner's part

I never finished that game myself though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did despite getting caught by the save point gotcha before a hard boss with no way of going back and grinding if you were underlevelled.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It takes that long for one of the cards to transform (an egg to hatch iirc?)

It's goofier than that - it takes 2 weeks for shampoo to transform into beautiful hair

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

It's goofier than that - it takes 2 weeks for shampoo to transform into beautiful hair

Lol

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It's still like a 60 hour speedrun if you didn't have to worry about transforming items. One of the major problems is that items don't count time in menus, so good menuing is nearly the whole time save of the run.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Basically the way the guy does it is he plays for a certain period of time every day for 2 weeks and then leaves it. DURING the time he plays he's doing tons of really intensive speedrun stuff since he has to spend as little time in menus as possible, as well as get through the game, and actually get the items that will transform.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
What's the benefit of this two-week item?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Nice hair

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relax Or DIE posted:

sound test

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I caught a bit of a ffxiii-2 100% speedrun where the first split was at like 20 hours and was "beat the game"

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

That musta been the last split, cause the longest run on the leaderboards is 19:49:25.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Unreal_One posted:

That musta been the last split, cause the longest run on the leaderboards is 19:49:25.

I think the game had just come out like a month or two earlier and it might have been the actual very first attempt at 100%

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

the first day i bought overwatch, i played unranked with like one friend and three pugs. my team was loving furious that i wasn't pro ice at that poo poo. i was like "guys i just bought this game cut me some slack" and they were like "gently caress YOU YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING" so i realized, they were right! just not for the reasons they thought.

i haven't played it since, and i'm pleased, because it's garbage.

for timeframe, this was decemberish of 2016? if the community has changed, well, i don't really give a gently caress

you may be too sensitive for online video games

On the subject of speedruns though the Nemesis% runs of FFX are pretty intense, usually around 24-26 hours long. Same with the Ambrosia% runs of FFXII which are even longer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

the first day i bought overwatch, i played unranked with like one friend and three pugs. my team was loving furious that i wasn't pro ice at that poo poo. i was like "guys i just bought this game cut me some slack" and they were like "gently caress YOU YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING" so i realized, they were right! just not for the reasons they thought.

i haven't played it since, and i'm pleased, because it's garbage.

for timeframe, this was decemberish of 2016? if the community has changed, well, i don't really give a gently caress

lol this comes off as really pathetic and pitiful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
look if i'm not welcome playing a game for my first time and people are huge assholes about it then gently caress em it's not a game i want anything to do with. like if there's no room for new players to get better outside of practice matches, then why bother?

seriously what part of that interaction is okay? telling someone to gently caress off and leave because they don't have a lot of experience with a game, shouting at them and being tremendous assholes because you haven't played as much as as they have, and these are the guys on your own team? you drop sixty dollars on poo poo and the first thing that happens is getting shouted down, yeah that's a reasonable experience that normal people want to participate in.

my only regret is that blizzard wasn't allowing refunds

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 9, 2018

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This degree of vitriol over a bad match played two years ago is a totally sane and sensible thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Emrikol posted:

This degree of vitriol over a bad match played two years ago is a totally sane and sensible thing.
It seems more like a "I had a bad experience and it was a terrible first impression" thing

if I didn't have friends who played TF2, I'd probably have had a similar experience and then not put 900 hours into the game (800 too many imo)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

look if i'm not welcome playing a game for my first time and people are huge assholes about it then gently caress em it's not a game i want anything to do with. like if there's no room for new players to get better outside of practice matches, then why bother?

seriously what part of that interaction is okay? telling someone to gently caress off and leave because they don't have a lot of experience with a game, shouting at them and being tremendous assholes because you haven't played as much as as they have, and these are the guys on your own team? you drop sixty dollars on poo poo and the first thing that happens is getting shouted down, yeah that's a reasonable experience that normal people want to participate in.

It's more like you had one bad experience and your response is to immediately shut down damning the game forever and flipping it off at every opportunity, and you didn't even bother reporting them to maybe help out someone else next in line.

Hating the game because it's bad or just not your thing is an informed opinion but your story reads like a tantrum.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

It seems more like a "I had a bad experience and it was a terrible first impression" thing

it's this, my first impression of it was so bad that i'm unwilling to give it another chance. plus most of the people i know personally who play it, don't even have fun, they just play it because idk they have to meet some kind of quotas? weeklies? i couldn't tell you the specifics. well, it's a sixty dollar lesson in internet people.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Was overwatch the first online game you ever played? No part of how those guys behaved was ok, but also it's totally expected.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Was overwatch the first online game you ever played? No part of how those guys behaved was ok, but also it's totally expected.

nah i played tons of ladder sc2, some dofus before that, and then a month of assorted mmos. like you'd get pricks on sc2 but then you just beat em. in mmos, maybe i just didn't play long enough to see them; in dofus maybe it was happening but it was all in french. but guys on your own team flipping out at you? what can you do about that, yknow? you're supposed to work together with them and all they do is treat you like poo poo.

i guess i played a tiny bit of league too, but i ditched that for pretty much the same reason.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't help but think of the people who blindly hate Undertale because they were antagonized by a bad fanboy and I'm just going to stop because no video game is a hill worth dying on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

I can't help but think of the people who blindly hate Undertale because they were antagonized by a bad fanboy and I'm just going to stop because no video game is a hill worth dying on.
its a little different cause bad undertale people don't break into your game and yell at you in real time because you're playing it wrong

May 8, 2006

Yeah I think it's on gamers being huge toxic babies not the people who choose to avoid it imo

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

it's this, my first impression of it was so bad that i'm unwilling to give it another chance. plus most of the people i know personally who play it, don't even have fun, they just play it because idk they have to meet some kind of quotas? weeklies? i couldn't tell you the specifics. well, it's a sixty dollar lesson in internet people.

Yes, nobody actually has fun in Overwatch. You figured it out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

its a little different cause bad undertale people don't break into your game and yell at you in real time because you're playing it wrong

that would've been a cool feature tbh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got the black watchmen so i'll let the thread know how it compares to ahnayro the dream world when i get around to playing it (i'm in a HOG sort of mood currently)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Chat (especially voice chat) with randos is the loving worst and I think less of a game just by virtue of it having an active chat scene (some games have a chat feature that's relatively underutilized by the playerbase and that's fine)

Anyways I filled today with Donut County and Doki Doki Literature Club so I'm set to play Atelier Ayesha when it arrives tomorrow. DDLC was pretty overhyped. If it's the first work of its type you've read it's probably pretty mindblowing but I feel like I've read the same thing but better a dozen times by this point.

Donut County was cute and fun but I got weird racism vibes from how the raccoons were portrayed. Like, everyone was saying "everything was great in the neighborhood until the raccoons moved in" and it felt just a little too close to real life stuff to be handled by a cutesy game with no introspection.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raccoons arent people

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Overwatch is ok

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'd be pissed if raccoons started moving in near me too

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Raccoons arent people

Yeah but 'coon is still a common racial slur and you have to be careful around it kind of like how fan artists portray Gori in Aggretsuko as a black woman even if it's well meaning and respectful there's still a lot of history behind it to a large population.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

homeless snail posted:

Doesn’t the game already do that for you

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
I wouldn't assume anyone talking about raccoons would be referring to a racial slur.

But then it's a little different in the UK. I know it's a much more sensitive subject in the states. Hell I called myself half cast right up into my late teens, until I found out I was supposed to say mixed race.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my unease didn't come from the choice of animal but the way of taking about how the new group moving into town was ruining everything

I mean in the game they were ruining everything but fiction tends to make things the author wants to present clearcut

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you replace “ruin neighborhoods” with “gentrify” or “displace,” the raccoons in Donut County represent the white people.

Which I think fits better, since BK is destroying neighborhoods with a phone app that gives him prizes, and he gets tempted by the trash king with stock options, promotions and a health plan. The evil corporation is run by the raccoons.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 9, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hurt my body playing vr rhythm games, and then I hurt my soul playing a nightcore remix of beat it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think it's perfectly OK to not want to play an online game if your very first experience is terrible. Saying that the person is too sensitive just means you're already used to it but not everyone (maybe not anyone) should get used to people being toxic online or wave it off with "that's to be expected". I had played an online game for almost 3 years and it's just tiresome how this aspect has never changed so I don't begrudge anyone for stopping right at the beginning.

• Locked thread