Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

here, phone pics

It's a long bayo

My mom's a chef who hates Henckle kitchen knives since she finds the grips the most uncomfortable thing imaginable in her small hands, next time I talk to her I'll tell her they're meant to be used on the end of a rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Shame there wasn't a Greco-Roman statue around, this might not have been so far off the mark.

Has there ever been a semi-intact sample of gaudy assed Greco-Roman statuary or are we just assuming it was this bad from the few that still had traces of paint on them? (I realize this is especially bad, and not GR sculpture, but for fucks sake, I’d pass that poo poo up at El Mercado [San Antonio goon]. Can that even be restored without destroying it?

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Cessna posted:

You wouldn't happen to know about the Russian practices, would you?

While ago I read about the Finnish War 1808-1809 (Hårdstedt: 2007). The book mentions that Swedish army tried to supply the troops from Sweden. Russian army in 1808 was promised only 50% supplies from Russia, even though it is quite close. The other 50% they had to find on their own. The Russian troops had some measly amount of money to buy food and then they had to resort to their persuasion skills. The book makes a point that Swedish troops suffered from supply problems all the time, whereas hungry Russian soldiers were much more efficient in foraging supplies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well this might be interesting: a wargaming company has decided to do a reprint of a book about HEY GUNS' dudes (European Weapons & Warfare 1618-1648, by Eduard Wagner) that looks pretty neat. HEY GUNS, do you have copy of the original, is it a good book?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Has there ever been a semi-intact sample of gaudy assed Greco-Roman statuary or are we just assuming it was this bad from the few that still had traces of paint on them? (I realize this is especially bad, and not GR sculpture, but for fucks sake, I’d pass that poo poo up at El Mercado [San Antonio goon]. Can that even be restored without destroying it?

I mean, traces of paint is all you need if you can determine the colour from them.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a long bayo

Pfft. That ain't a long bayonet.

Random steak knife for scale. Apparently when the Brits adopted the SMLE (the S is for Short, it was carbine-length at the time), they lengthened the bayonet to keep the stabby bit at the same distance.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well this might be interesting: a wargaming company has decided to do a reprint of a book about HEY GUNS' dudes (European Weapons & Warfare 1618-1648, by Eduard Wagner) that looks pretty neat. HEY GUNS, do you have copy of the original, is it a good book?
Game companies hire good historians. Cf. this guy who works for World of Tanks. They hired a former tank commander to dig through the archives to get the stats right (or as right as they can be in an arcade-style game), and he does video tour of whatever old tanks he can get access to.
I'd like to see him do an episode on his own tank, the M1A1, but sadly it's not in the game and even if his company paid for it, most of the fun stuff is probably still classified.

Edit: when the sun comes up, I'll post a photo of the rifle with the bayonet on. It's ridiculous -- 25-inch barrel and 17-inch blade. HEY GUNS' guys would love it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 8, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

I've understood that prior to Industrial age the soldiers had to pay for their own food. So wouldn't it have been profitable for some merchants to haul food and drink for the besieging armies, or would they just have been robbed?

This wildly depends on the Army in question, and their organization. The Roman Army had a system of rations and food allowances, that was deducted from their Pay, but in some times they received an allowance on top of the pay that was taken for the food. Roman Army also provided food allowance to its allies militaries due to them being unable to support distant logistics. These food allowances were not deducted from the pay of the allies.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Pfft. That ain't a long bayonet.

Random steak knife for scale. Apparently when the Brits adopted the SMLE (the S is for Short, it was carbine-length at the time), they lengthened the bayonet to keep the stabby bit at the same distance.

Edit: when the sun comes up, I'll post a photo of the rifle with the bayonet on. It's ridiculous -- 25-inch barrel and 17-inch blade. HEY GUNS' guys would love it.

My No 1 Mk III has the sword bayonet. Can confirm it's hilarious when fixed.

I have an acquaintance who collects SMLE sword bayonets. Dude has over a hundred of the things. One of the most oddly specific collections I've seen.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

feedmegin posted:

I mean, traces of paint is all you need if you can determine the colour from them.

Yeah, but it's like opening up MSPaint and using the fill bucket to color something. They're just identifying one speck of paint, going "welp, that's what this entire piece of the statue was colored," and calling it a day. If you did that to any old art, you'd come up with something that looks ridiculous.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grenrow posted:

They're just identifying one speck of paint, going "welp, that's what this entire piece of the statue was colored," and calling it a day.

Are you really sure about this

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Yvonmukluk posted:

i haven't read that but now i really REALLY want to

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

Are you really sure about this

The garish reconstructions were produced from imperfect information. You can't determine the exact coloration from whatever pigments remain, nor was the researcher's process capable of getting more info about the paint. If you only know what the pigment is, you don't really know how garish/vivid the actual statue would have looked like. It could be more subdued, or maybe even more gaudy.

That being said, there's more thought put into it than what grenrow is saying. idk what they're on about

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grenrow posted:

Yeah, but it's like opening up MSPaint and using the fill bucket to color something. They're just identifying one speck of paint, going "welp, that's what this entire piece of the statue was colored," and calling it a day. If you did that to any old art, you'd come up with something that looks ridiculous.

Well not all recreations are trying to show exactly what the statue looked like in antiquity. In many cases there may not be enough evidence to do so. In this example for instance:

The recreation does not try to mimic the exact colors on every inch of the statue. It only adds color where the modern researchers had good evidence about the ancient pigments, and just left the rest blank. Almost certainly the entire surface of the statue would have been painted. What it really looked like though is still disputed. The original was almost certainly more artful than the recreation, however if you take "artistic license" and then put it in a museum, you might soon find your favorite trade journal filled with angry letters to the editor or articles pointing out all the ways you're horrible and wrong about everything. If you google this statue, Augustus from Prima Porta, you can find a much more detail recreation of its colors. . . which immediately caused a storm of controversy because a lot of it is speculative.

Also I think a lot of people who hate how polychrome statues look get their negative impression in a museum exhibit or somewhere, looking at something like the archer of Aphaea from an arms length away:

However up close and personal isn't the way this statue is meant to be seen. In it's original context, the statue would have been viewed like this:

Remember a lot of these sculpture were on temple pediments, 20+ meters in the air. You'd probably see them from 100+ feet away, and vibrant colors with strong contrast make it a lot easier to read the story depicted.

I think you can find parallels in the use of color in modern Hindu temple sculpture.

The colors make everything a lot more readable. You can instantly tell gods from humans for example --gods are blue/green, humans more naturalistic-- while also adding small details that would be difficult to sculpt and difficult to see from a distance.

Also, it's worth remembering that in an era before modern synthetic pigments, any colors left outside in the wind and rain are going to fade quite rapidly. A year in the sun is going to make them a lot less bright, so you might as well make the colors pop as much as you can when touching up.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 8, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Squalid posted:

Also, it's worth remembering that in an era before modern synthetic pigments, any colors left outside in the wind and rain are going to fade quite rapidly. A year in the sun is going to make them a lot less bright, so you might as well make the colors pop as much as you can when touching up.

Yeah, colourfulness (if you can maintain it) means prosperity and therefore is both eye-catching and attractive, just like in modern business and advertising. The difference being that nowadays it's cheap but back then all the pigments and paints were hand made luxury objects so when things were that colourful they were certain to stand out. Modern people would see them as garish and more fitting to a circus than a shrine or palace.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The thing is that it's possible to do colorful without it looking like poo poo, and I suspect ancient painters knew how to do that. Like, look at the hindu temple example above. Whether they're doing a wash of a second color or whatever they're creating lighter colored highlights and darker colored shadows giving the illusion of texture and depth. This is the kind of basic poo poo that nerds do when painting wargame minis. A big part of why the hindu temple looks good and the recent Spanish travesty looks like garbage is that the effort was taken to do that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, just assuming that it's all uniform blocks of whatever color the undercoat was seems pretty naive

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The earlier style seems to have been flat colour:

Such realistic detail is a far cry from the rendering of Paris the archer. In circa 490 B.C., when it was sculpted, statues were decorated in flat colors, which were applied in a paint-by-numbers fashion. But as time passed, artists taught themselves to enhance effects of light and shadow, much as Koch-Brinkmann was doing with Caligula, created some five centuries after the archer. The Brinkmanns had also discovered evidence of shading and hatching on the “Alexander Sarcophagus” (created c. 320 B.C.)—a cause for considerable excitement. “It’s a revolution in painting comparable to Giotto’s in the frescoes of Padua,” says Brinkmann.

From: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/true-colors-17888/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's the date around which monochrome became classy from copying ruins, and people stopped trying to keep statues painted?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's a well understood issue; this is one of the reasons why the same statue can get multiple proposed paintjobs

quote:

this is a general problem that affects other statues where traces of ocher-based paint are discovered. It may be difficult to distinguish between brown, red, and yellow ocher. Furthermore, the red ocher still visible in the hair of ancient statues (e.g., on the Peplos Kore) may be an undercoat for a final coloring of a different hue. The bright red hair of the Peplos Kore in the "basic" version of its coloring thus gives way to brown in the version with hypothetical additions

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing is that it's possible to do colorful without it looking like poo poo, and I suspect ancient painters knew how to do that. Like, look at the hindu temple example above. Whether they're doing a wash of a second color or whatever they're creating lighter colored highlights and darker colored shadows giving the illusion of texture and depth. This is the kind of basic poo poo that nerds do when painting wargame minis. A big part of why the hindu temple looks good and the recent Spanish travesty looks like garbage is that the effort was taken to do that.

You also see colours as duller on far-off objects, so if there's a decoration you're looking at from far away it's supposed to be very vibrant.

This is also a wargaming nerd thing, since some companies sell different shades of the same colour depending on the scale you want to use it in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Ultimately, this discussion boils down to a simple question:

If the ancient Greeks had tabletop wargames, what 40K army would Alexander have played? :v:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If the ancient Greeks had tabletop wargames, what 40K army would Alexander have played? :v:

Whatever one his dad left him.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

the high elves have good spearmen who can attack from more ranks than others, and they also have good cavalry and leadership

e:

P-Mack posted:

Whatever one his dad left him.

very true

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Karabin wz. 35

Queue: 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Ferdinand, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works

MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-34 applique armour projects
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944 NEW

:britain:
Archer

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
57 mm gun M1
Medium Tank M4A4

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 9, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

SU-152 combat debut sounds very interesting

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Squalid posted:

I think you can find parallels in the use of color in modern Hindu temple sculpture.

same gods too :helladid:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yvonmukluk posted:

I have a copy of that reprint, what do you want to know?

It's long on illustrations, short on text...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Chillyrabbit posted:

Reminds me a bit of Victoria 4th generation war. Literally don't read it unless you want to :suicide: yourself. Read it with the understanding that this is how a crazy person thinks the world works.

TL;DR

Light infantry toting RPG's, mortars, light technicals, T-34-85's manned by the Average Maine citizen (ie 40+ year olds) would be able to practically conquer all of America after it dissolves due to diversity.

Just reading the Let's Read of that book makes me feel dirty

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

he starts a rebellion because a woman exists

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

So did Adam

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS posted:

a woman? :monocle:

:freep:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

GotLag posted:

Yeah. That's some truly vile bullshit right there.

(The book, not the "let's read.")

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man that's some hosed up poo poo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Couldn't get through the first page of that thread. I cannot stand that kind of right-wing thinking. It's just too mired in hate.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is this the book which is literally The Handmaid's Tale, except you're supposed to sympathise with the people running Gilead?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Reminds me a bit of Victoria 4th generation war. Literally don't read it unless you want to :suicide: yourself. Read it with the understanding that this is how a crazy person thinks the world works.

TL;DR

Light infantry toting RPG's, mortars, light technicals, T-34-85's manned by the Average Maine citizen (ie 40+ year olds) would be able to practically conquer all of America after it dissolves due to diversity.

The author of this, William Lind, is apparently a popular military theorist. He popularized the term “fourth generation war”. He also recently wrote an op-ed for some conservative think tank about a CO from my recent deployment who was fired. He blames it on political correctness and bemoans the loss of the greatest tactical mind ever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FastestGunAlive posted:

The author of this, William Lind, is apparently a popular military theorist. He popularized the term “fourth generation war”. He also recently wrote an op-ed for some conservative think tank about a CO from my recent deployment who was fired. He blames it on political correctness and bemoans the loss of the greatest tactical mind ever.

He's a loon.

quote:

Other views
Lind has advocated for police to have rocket-propelled grenades as standard issue and for a return to death by hanging as a common sentence for crime in "urban areas."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Seems more like a piece of poo poo

FastestGunAlive posted:

bemoans the loss of the greatest tactical mind ever.

Who?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

Is this the book which is literally The Handmaid's Tale, except you're supposed to sympathise with the people running Gilead?
because they read a milhist, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
wallenstein obviously