Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I'll be honest I totally forgot Trunks dies in the Cell Saga. I've seen it in regular DBZ like twice in the 90s, in Kai, and now but somehow every single time I forget somehow and think "oh yeah, that happened."

Dragonballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also doesn’t help that the dub kind of makes it unclear what exactly happened. Like they make it seem like he was just really hurt. Makes Vegeta reaction a little weird as a result.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
12 year old me thought that Cell purposefully took out Trunks first cause he saw him as a threat, because surely after spending another day in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Trunks could hold his own against Cell! :lol:

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

12 year old me thought that Cell purposefully took out Trunks first cause he saw him as a threat
lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, Trunks killed a Cell.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rhonne posted:

Hey, Trunks killed a Cell.

So did Krillin

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

pik_d posted:

So did Krillin

Cell would have killed Krillin too, but he didn't want to let his Frieza show too much.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Uh, Trunks only just barely lost to Cell the first time, after going into the Time Chamber another time, he would totally be able to beat Cell? This completely makes sense.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rhonne posted:

Cell would have killed Krillin too, but he didn't want to let his Frieza show too much.

Incidentally, a beam through the chest is how Frieza killed Vegeta

(though, Frieza's was pink, so Cell killing Trunks that way might not be a reference at all who knows)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Kind of want it to end if they're going to be precious about it like this.

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1038622502229028864

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Broly movie releases in December, right?

Edit: Thanks!

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 9, 2018

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pureauthor posted:

The Broly movie releases in December, right?

Japanese one is in December, the english one will be in january

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

VJeff posted:

12 year old me thought that Cell purposefully took out Trunks first cause he saw him as a threat, because surely after spending another day in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Trunks could hold his own against Cell! :lol:

I mean, probably not a big threat, but since Cell basically got a sneak attack for free, he might as well be careful and use it on someone, and Trunks is arguably the best choice, if you assume Vegeta doesn't care about his son and isn't gonna get a tantrum power up.

A sneak attack on Gohan, the only real threat there probably wouldn't have worked.
Vegeta likes to gently caress around and hates teamwork. Unless Cell were to really piss him off, (which he did,) he definitely wouldn't interfere until the fight was done.
Presumably he didn't even register any of the non-Saiyans as any kind of threat at all--maybe not the best idea with Kikoho and Destructo Disc being things, but gently caress if they ever remember they have those moves when it would be useful.
But Trunks is as strong as Vegeta, without his love of fighting and vague sense of fair play. That's not strong enough to be a threat in a fair fight still, but Trunks doesn't care about having a fair fight. The whole "shooting a beam at Cell during the beam struggle" thing that Vegeta wound up doing? Now that Cell is willing to blow up the planet anyways and there's no reason to play by his rules, Trunks almost definitely would have gone for that. And, I mean, we saw how Vegeta going for that worked out, I doubt it'd have gone much better for him with Trunks doing it. Almost definitely the biggest threat that he could actually eliminate there.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Fender Anarchist posted:

Abridged Gohan has been busting out the cringey edgelord one-liners when he gets worked up literally since namek, ie "The bigger they are, the harder they fall!" and "I'M GONNA SKULLF**K YOU!". Anyone who expected anything different when he finally snapped completely hasn't been watching the show.

Make DBZA Great Again :mad:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

serious gaylord posted:

Kind of want it to end if they're going to be precious about it like this.

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1038622502229028864

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?lang=en

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He killed Trunks first for old times' sake

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea that he really did just pop a laser off and it just happened to be Trunks because of course it’d be

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squallege posted:

I like the idea that he really did just pop a laser off and it just happened to be Trunks because of course it’d be

He was actually aiming at Vegeta but the universe corrected this obvious oversight.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Squallege posted:

Seems legit. He's an even bigger misfortune magnet than Krillin.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Trunks would be the one to go for if you were, say, planning to be immobilised in a life-or-death beam clash in the next few minutes

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh yeah, Cell already made Vegeta cry lol

Anyways I just want to say I found every Goku line funny, especially “All according to Cake” and “Hi King Kai :wave:” and I also found angry Cell really funny.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

Trunks is the reason he had to come back in time and go through all this bullshit to begin with so...it makes sense?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the Perfect Cell battle is kind of weird at this point because with Goku and Trunks dead you kind of revert to the original team fought the Androids in the Future timeline.

Gohan getting his arm busted even kind of mirrors his future counterpart outright losing his arm.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Anyways I just want to say I found every Goku line funny, especially “All according to Cake” and “Hi King Kai :wave:” and I also found angry Cell really funny.

I enjoyed how quickly Cell went from "excited fight boner" to "gently caress this, this isn't fun anymore!"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Raxivace posted:

Yeah the Perfect Cell battle is kind of weird at this point because with Goku and Trunks dead you kind of revert to the original team fought the Androids in the Future timeline.

Gohan getting his arm busted even kind of mirrors his future counterpart outright losing his arm.

Wow I never even noticed until now

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Rhonne posted:

I enjoyed how quickly Cell went from "excited fight boner" to "gently caress this, this isn't fun anymore!"

Or as Gohan put it, "Careful Cell, your Vegeta is showing."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Gohan really hates Vegeta :allears:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I mean, has there ever been a single pleasant moment between them?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

is there anyone at this point in the show, abridged or otherwise, who doesn't

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Trunks is

Conflicted

In regards to his feelings regarding him i guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goku likes Vegeta.

He is also a terrible judge of character.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TwoPair posted:

I'll be honest I totally forgot Trunks dies in the Cell Saga. I've seen it in regular DBZ like twice in the 90s, in Kai, and now but somehow every single time I forget somehow and think "oh yeah, that happened."

I just rewatched it a month ago and I already forgot.

Deaths in dragon ball are so meaningless.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bulma...like him enough to sleep with him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonne posted:

Bulma...like him enough to sleep with him.

Like had nothing to do with it

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm positive it isn't intentional, but I really enjoyed that when Cell says the reprise line it's immediately followed with him killing Trunks for a second time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Squallege posted:

If I'm not mistaken the manga implies he just fired at random. I was, of course, devastated to learn this.

But now in retrospect, you guys have made it kinda clear that in storytelling terms, Trunks was taken out on purpose because he had to be for the beam struggle to work the way Toriyama wanted it to. 12 year old me is finally validated. :)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Gohan: "You're boring me."
*Buff Cell Slams Down*
Cell: "What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in Gero Science, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on West City, and I have over 300 confirmed absorptions"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

One joke that I genuinely am sick of is characters all saying the same phrase during an episode, like “you said it, not me.” But the writers are funny enough that it still works good more than half the time.

On the other hand:

Yamcha, I sensu need some help? :swoon:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

One joke that I genuinely am sick of is characters all saying the same phrase during an episode, like “you said it, not me.” But the writers are funny enough that it still works good more than half the time.

On the other hand:

Yamcha, I sensu need some help? :swoon:

Trunks quietly whispering puns to himself was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trunks quietly whispering puns to himself was great.

"Sensu bean!"

"..."