Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

T-Bone posted:

Thread Necro because I love cube and I could use some cube advice.

I have a big old (720 card) powered cube I'm working on and I'd really like to include the signature tribes for each color (so Humans/Merfolk/Goblins/Zombies/Elves + Slivers because one guy I draft with loving loves Slivers and there's a lot of mana fixing in this thing). If I'm using roughly 50 creatures for each color in (+ some limited gold stuff), what is the ideal creature count for each tribe to make it draftable but not overpowered? I was thinking 25, does that sound right? The rest of the cube is somewhat comparable to the Vintage MTGO cube, with reanimator/storm/twin/sneak & show/swords/etc.

If your cube has 720 people, how can you make sure that enough cards will show up to support a tribal draft strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

If your cube has 720 people, how can you make sure that enough cards will show up to support a tribal draft strategy?

Well since every person would get one card they'd each be all in on their pack one pick one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hah, but yeah we glimpse draft. So you take X, burn X, depending on the player count. Some tribe cards will get burnt, but so will stuff from other archetypes. In general we also draft a pack or two more than you would in a typical cube. If anyone wants to draft what I'm messing around with and tell me what they think, here it is: http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/109020 (it isn't set to Glimpse, but it's roughly accurate because the amount of AI drafters).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 10, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OK, did two drafts, one not trying to go tribal and one forcing Slivers. If this is anything like a real draft, your Slivers friend will sad. I think it was just easier for me to just draft the best cards because it was a powered cube vs. the tribal synergy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hmmm, gotcha thanks. Just not enough slivers? Or too many good cards that you didn't want to pass up?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well I was trying to stay in 3 main colors, but it is hard to pick up Slivers while also getting color fixing, because nothing would wheel. Maybe in another creature type would work.

So I tried with Zombies and Goblins, it was much easier.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cool, thanks for testing, I wonder if I need to get more fixing in there or just drop slivers. Running more sliver hives I guess could be a thing but I'd rather keep to singles.

e: Also just realized I forgot to put Dark Ritual in there whoops I knew storm felt weird.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 11, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'M SO CLOSE :gizz:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I think I have a foil Ulamog and an invention Chromatic Lantern. Buy them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I think I have a foil Ulamog and an invention Chromatic Lantern. Buy them.

A friend just messaged me he has an Ulamog for me, but that is the Lantern I'd like. PM me if you do have it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I assume you're looking for pack art on the SFM because the promos are stupidly easy to find.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

A friend just messaged me he has an Ulamog for me, but that is the Lantern I'd like. PM me if you do have it.

I have a real Ulamog FWIW, not some scrub-tier Masters Ulamog. I might have a Mascara Wurm too, I forget.

kirtar posted:

I assume you're looking for pack art on the SFM because the promos are stupidly easy to find.

And ugly.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

kirtar posted:

Yes to both. I play a playset in my D&T deck because that's what the guy I got it off of had in there and gently caress the pack foil is expensive.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I have an invention SoFI and SoLS.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlternateNu posted:

I have an invention SoFI and SoLS.

I would love to steal those, especially if you're looking for any trade stuff. I should probably just post that list and my tradelist in the trade thread and see what happens.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's all but done. My friend who moved to Memphis is at the Open in Atlanta this weekend; he's going to find me a Survival of the Fittest judge foil off this massive buylist dump he's doing and trade it to me for some stuff I have that he needs.

He's also snagging me a 9.0 Ancestral Recall to upgrade my disappointing 8.0, so he can crack open the 8 and finish his vintage deck.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's loving over. The judge Survival of the Fittest is on its way here, and when it arrives my cube will be 100% pimped out.

What do I do now :psyduck:.

(A: Try to draft the poo poo out of it and work my rear end off to avoid having to sell it to turn it into a downpayment on a house)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Force people to play with you?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Working on it. I found some coworkers in Nashville who play, so I'll bring it with me next time I have to visit HQ. Working on setting up a draft for this upcoming weekend here at home, though.

Now that I'm back from my trip, I was finally able to put the Survival of the Fittest judge foil in and complete this thing!

It's Rexie approved.

Full post I made on imgur which includes links to the galleries for each color/section

I partially wanted to just show the thing off, but also to document this for the new insurance rider I just purchased for this box of cardboard.....

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Congratulations Baron! Wishing you and yours all the best.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Hi, since I have way too much Dominaria draft chaff, I decided that I'm going to try emulating this, except for dominaria (obviously). I'll also be going with a 3-2-2-1 ratio instead of a 6-3-2-1 for commons/uncommons/rares/mythics because I figure that should be enough for a 8-person pod and also I don't feel like dealing with nearly twice the amount of cards. I'm also planning on making the packs with 10 commons, 2 uncommons, 1 rare/mythic, and 1 uncommon legend, since I figure that trying to do anything else would be a gigantic headache (If I get super lazy I'll just shuffle everything together :v:). It'll probably end up making historic/legendary themes stronger than a real draft but I'm hoping it won't affect too much (and also I always felt like the historic cards were never really overpowered).

Anyways the main question I have is: should I replace the Primordial Wurms (4GG, 7/6 vanilla) with Colossal Dreadmaw? I think the idea's hilarious but I also feel like Dreadmaw is a much better card -- do you think it'll affect enough to matter?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Working on it. I found some coworkers in Nashville who play, so I'll bring it with me next time I have to visit HQ. Working on setting up a draft for this upcoming weekend here at home, though.

Now that I'm back from my trip, I was finally able to put the Survival of the Fittest judge foil in and complete this thing!

It's Rexie approved.

Full post I made on imgur which includes links to the galleries for each color/section

I partially wanted to just show the thing off, but also to document this for the new insurance rider I just purchased for this box of cardboard.....

:aaaaa:

Awesome. Congrats! Live the dream, dude. :golfclap:

I usually play casual commander, but some of us want some regular, 60-card decks to play quick, 1v1 pickup games. I was thinking of making a set of five decks from the Tarkir block, one for each clan. For theme and for the challenge it adds to deckbuilding, I want to limit the cards to KTK and FRF, and maybe sprinkle a bit from DTK. This originally was a pauper project, then it expanded to peasant, and now it's all rarities. :shrug: I can post decklists later, but here's my thinking:

Jeskai: prowess storm (not truly a storm deck, but lots of value and card draw and prowess triggers)
Mardu: aggressive, low cost token rush :black101:
Temur: midrange stompy (with morph synergies)
Sultai: delver value town :getin:
Abzan: counters

Currently, I have these in singleton construction, but I can change that. I like singleton construction because it'll make each game play out a bit differently, and I can use things like Treasure Cruise without worrying about a whole playset unbalancing the deck. So my questions for the thread are:

Do these deck archetypes sound balanced?
Should I keep them to singleton construction?
How much should I worry about balancing rarities of each deck against each other? (I suspect this doesn't matter too much, but I want other opinions.)
Anything I may not have thought of as I move forward?

I'm finishing up the last of them today and I'll post lists when that's done.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I sold all of my Magic cards a long while back when I got bored collecting the game. But I have always had an interest in the Cube format when I discovered it. I have been doing a bit of research and I think I want to make my own cube. There are a lot more sets now than what I remembered (I stopped playing around Mirage) so I thought it might be handy to limit my card pool in some way when making my cube. I didn't want to just copy some online list, I think making it is half the fun! But making it myself out of the entire card pool of MtG cards is a bit overwhelming. I don't actually own many magic cards (a few duel decks for a laugh) so I needed a bunch anyway. I found this ad online:

I bought it, and the guy is delivering it now. I'm planning to make a 720 card cube out of the most interesting portion of whatever happens to be in this pile of random cards. 5,000 cards sounds like its manageable to comb through and pick out the coolest cards. I will post the results.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Rutibex posted:

I sold all of my Magic cards a long while back when I got bored collecting the game. But I have always had an interest in the Cube format when I discovered it. I have been doing a bit of research and I think I want to make my own cube. There are a lot more sets now than what I remembered (I stopped playing around Mirage) so I thought it might be handy to limit my card pool in some way when making my cube. I didn't want to just copy some online list, I think making it is half the fun! But making it myself out of the entire card pool of MtG cards is a bit overwhelming. I don't actually own many magic cards (a few duel decks for a laugh) so I needed a bunch anyway. I found this ad online:

I bought it, and the guy is delivering it now. I'm planning to make a 720 card cube out of the most interesting portion of whatever happens to be in this pile of random cards. 5,000 cards sounds like its manageable to comb through and pick out the coolest cards. I will post the results.

720 is massive, specially starting from a pool of random stuff. You're bound to end up with some very lopsided color combos. I'd start at 360 and build up from there as needed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

aborn posted:

720 is massive, specially starting from a pool of random stuff. You're bound to end up with some very lopsided color combos. I'd start at 360 and build up from there as needed.

Maybe, I guess it will depend on what sort of cards are in there. He says he has every set from Revised to the current ones, so I'm thinking it should be a good variety. Hopefully its mostly single cards, as I do not want to put duplicate cards into my cube. 720 out of 5000 is only like 15% of the total cards, so I should be able to balance the colours well.

Hopefully its not 4000 basic lands and 1000 4th edition Fogs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
After a few days of work I have finally sorted through all 5,000 of the cards I bought off of Craig's List! My "Garbage Cube" is complete. Oddly enough after sorting through the cards I came to the eerie realization that this collection might (partially) be the cards i sold to some random guy online 10 years ago. There are lots of cards from all of the sets I collected, then a big gap and a bunch of newer stuff (like someone bought my old set to get started). but most telling is two specific cards, Dark Heart of the Wood and Giant Strength. Dark Heart of the Woods is only original card from The Dark in the collection, all of the rest are from the Chronicles reprint. Giant Strength is also only one original card from Legends. I started collecting Fallen Empires, I never got to open any Dark or Legends packs. But I did trade specifically for Dark Heart of the Woods and Giant Strength from my friend because I wanted cards from those sets! :tinfoil: The Dark Heart card even has the same wear pattern I remember. It makes me feel good to (maybe?) be doing this with my old cards.

Anyway I went with a "720" card cube, because I wanted as much variety as possible. I ended up with a little over that, but oh well! It is still fairly balanced between the colours, so its not a big deal if its a little bigger. 75% of the cards came from the 5,000 card collection I bought online, but I added a bunch of proxy cards to "spice it up" so to speak. You can't really have a cube without the power 9 and duel lands and all that right? I also tried to include at least one card from every set I could find.I also included 40 of each basic land for making decks, and I tried to keep the art on each land unique. I put everything into the most "cube shaped" MtG box I had, and it fits quite nicely. Its almost as if this box was meant for a cube! There is a bit of space left, I will use this to add a full set of archenemy cards and plane chase cards I think.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/117679

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I personally wouldn't run gigantic bombs like Jitte alongside 3x Sivitri Scarzam. Jitte is perfectly reasonable in cubes where answers abound, but in your cube any card that runs away with the game should probably be cut so that you're having fun playing with stuff like Hurloon Wrangler.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

muon posted:

I personally wouldn't run gigantic bombs like Jitte alongside 3x Sivitri Scarzam. Jitte is perfectly reasonable in cubes where answers abound, but in your cube any card that runs away with the game should probably be cut so that you're having fun playing with stuff like Hurloon Wrangler.

Those dupes were a mistake, I took them out! I also weeded out the more egregious power cards. I kept the dual lands though, they go with the "Revised Edition" flavor. I also don't consider dual lands particularly broken. In fact when I open packed back in the day I distinctly remember getting annoyed that I opened two Tropical Islands back to back. Why did I get a dumb land card instead of a cool Royal Assassin? :argh:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jitte is a great example of a card that should only be found in power cubes, because in any random stuff cube it would be far and away the most powerful thing you could do if you can't get rid of it ASAP.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jitte should only be in cubes where it's bad. It's one of the most miserable play experiences you'll ever have.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

suicidesteve posted:

Jitte should only be in cubes where it's bad. It's one of the most miserable play experiences you'll ever have.

Played Jitte in my friend's Cube last night. Easiest P1/P1. I keep telling him to take it out (it's Modern Cube, i.e. only-cards-from-modern).

Played it game 2 against someone.

He had played Turn 2 bitterblossom, I played turn 2 Young Pyro, and we had been trading tokens. Decent game going. I draw, slam Jitte, equip a token, and attack. He blocks with a token, like the last few turns.
Me: "Shoot the other token"
Him: "No, you didnt deal damage to me...wait, does it still get counters?"
Me: "Yes, any damage counts"
Him: <wtf>

Playing Jitte against people not familiar with it; doesnt take long to see how dumb it is.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have Jitte in my cube and should maybe take it out, yeah. I do have a tonne of artifact removal though.

As far as power goes, if the rest of your cube is relatively low power then getting a mox isn't going to mess with the balance that much since it's not like you're ramping up to a big Mind Twist or whatever.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So I think I'm going to try to get more non-foil promos for the cube as I think they're pretty cool. Jace's Spellbook and the Ugin's Fate promos are a pretty good source for this. And then there's the Game Day promos, obviously. I'm not sure how many more types of non-foil promos there are, but I'd like to hear about them.

What are your favourite cube-worthy cards that have non-foil promos? Is there a good way to search for that?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If we count the MPR cards, there are a few good ones, though a decent number of the high profile promos were foil. The fact that they're textless could be problematic in some cases though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

odiv posted:

So I think I'm going to try to get more non-foil promos for the cube as I think they're pretty cool. Jace's Spellbook and the Ugin's Fate promos are a pretty good source for this. And then there's the Game Day promos, obviously. I'm not sure how many more types of non-foil promos there are, but I'd like to hear about them.

What are your favourite cube-worthy cards that have non-foil promos? Is there a good way to search for that?

IDW promo High Tide and Bribery feat. Duck Faygo be premium goodness.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Anyone here have a Momir Basic cube? I have a Legacy cube (that can also be turned into a Power cube through proxies that are stickered for easy removal!) but have been tinkering with another "jank rare" cube for a while. I'm thinking about turning that into a Momir Basic cube with a focus on multiplayer, because it sounds like fun. I'd probably add some additional nuances, like allowing players to select from Creatures, Instants, Sorceries, Artifacts, and maybe Enchantments? Turning Magic into something a bit more like Hearthstone is a great way to get new players into it, I've found.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So Cube Tutor is apparently hosed

quote:

I can’t exaggerate how much work it would be to go back to the beginning and rewrite Cube Tutor again on a new framework. I took the best part of two years working full time to get it to where it is now. With my other professional commitments and the prospect of starting a family soon I just simply couldn’t contemplate doing all of that work again, it wasn’t possible.

quote:

Simply put I can’t currently update the site, other than the stuff I can change through the database like new cards, featured cubes and average cubes. My life is no longer full of the free time that I had the luxury of in 2014 and I simply cannot afford to go back to a position of Patreon-only income to support myself on Cube Tutor full time to rewrite the site and even if I could I now have other long term professional commitments to keep that have a demand on my time. All of that said, in order to keep Cube Tutor up I need to cover the running costs which are currently averaging around $700-750 a month. A combination of those three things has left me just treading water, spinning, not knowing what to do.

I'm seriously brainstorming with a friend right now to repurpose that trading site I've been developing on and off for a couple years into a replacement for Cube Tutor (which is actually WAY easier, I could knock it out in a month or so if I focused on the weekends). Seems like if this guy is basically admitting defeat that leaves a vacuum to fill for cube management. It's not a hard sell to get people to want to use a more modern site that is actually going to be maintained moving forward.

Really the hardest part will be developing the draft interface and an AI to work with it, but there's no reason I couldn't release the list manager and other assorted simple bits first and then add that on later, just to attract initial users. CT has functionality to export your cube, all I have to do is write an import tool compatible with the format to make switching as easy as possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

So Cube Tutor is apparently hosed

I'm seriously brainstorming with a friend right now to repurpose that trading site I've been developing on and off for a couple years into a replacement for Cube Tutor (which is actually WAY easier, I could knock it out in a month or so if I focused on the weekends). Seems like if this guy is basically admitting defeat that leaves a vacuum to fill for cube management. It's not a hard sell to get people to want to use a more modern site that is actually going to be maintained moving forward.

Really the hardest part will be developing the draft interface and an AI to work with it, but there's no reason I couldn't release the list manager and other assorted simple bits first and then add that on later, just to attract initial users. CT has functionality to export your cube, all I have to do is write an import tool compatible with the format to make switching as easy as possible.

I use MtG Forge to manage my cube. It has all of that functionality, you can make a cube import lists, etc. But you can do a draft with it against an AI too, then play games against the decks the AI drafted.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I use a number of the Patreon features on Cube Tutor (custom scans, grid draft, AI draft profiles) and it's remarkable how long Ben has been completely MIA. If you were to spin up a competitor / successor, I'd switch over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a dozen swans posted:

I use a number of the Patreon features on Cube Tutor (custom scans, grid draft, AI draft profiles) and it's remarkable how long Ben has been completely MIA. If you were to spin up a competitor / successor, I'd switch over.

I figured some people might. The plan right now is to prioritize the base feature stuff like list management and value tracking and stuff. I think I'll still keep things like custom scans behind a premium paywall of some kind, as they would require some additional hosting resources/expenses.

Once I get that rolling and convince some people to swap, then I can work on adding a draft AI.

I need to rope a friend into helping with the UI design and styling (I loving hate front-end work), but I can probably get the prototype up in a month or two.

Rutibex posted:

I use MtG Forge to manage my cube. It has all of that functionality, you can make a cube import lists, etc. But you can do a draft with it against an AI too, then play games against the decks the AI drafted.

https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

That's cool, I didn't know that existed. Ideally I'd love to eventually scale what I have up into an actual game client so you can draft your cube whenever you want. But I'd also love to do it browser-based so you don't need a dedicated program for it (also, I have no idea how to write one of those yet....).