Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Internet idiots consider The Witcher to be representative of Polish heritage because Poland is a fantasy land of magic, elves, and dragons. The author, Andrzej Sapkowski, told the showrunner to go loving nuts it's a fantasy world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Do arguments like "she's not real" really hold up for these kind of situations? I don't know enough about the books to know whether the author ever bothered to specify her skin color, but if he has it doesn't make much sense to me to be changing the source material. And I'm not only defending this when it comes to whatever is the analogue to whitewashing because I remember it wasn't that long ago when there was a huge backlash because of casting Scarlett Johannson for the role of Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell and I also kind of agreed with that not being the best of choices. I don't plan to watch the movie but I've heard they even made her look more Asian which made it kind of even worse?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 9, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Henry Cavill is a bigger death knell for the project being good than anything else I've heard, fuckin Christ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have Old Blood and New Colossus queued up and then I actually have a PS2 Wolfenstein and one for 360 (apparently just called “Wolfenstein” :geno:) and maybe I will play those after I get all the sidetrophies in Arkham City. If anybody read all of that and somehow has opinions on those other Wolfenstein games, please let me know.

return to castle wolfenstein is fun but i'd rec playing it on pc rather than ps2 cause it's a pretty fast-paced game with some really lovely hitscan enemies and a few really bad forced stealth missions so you kind of need really fast aiming and quicksave

wolfenstein is... okay-ish? some people like it but i mostly just found it really dull cause it's firmly in that mid-to-late 2000s Cover Shooter With A Gimmick mold and the gimmick is kind of boring. it's technically a prequel to the new order but the writing and presentation is nothing like it so it's not really worth playing for that either

lordfrikk posted:

Do arguments like "she's not real" really hold up for these kind of situations? I don't know enough about the books to know whether the author ever bothered to specify her skin color, but if he has it doesn't make much sense to me to be changing the source material. And I'm not only defending this when it comes whitewashing because I remember it wasn't that long ago when there was a huge backlash because of casting Scarlett Johannson for the role of Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell and I also kind of agreed with that not being the best of choices. I don't plan to watch the movie but I've heard they even made her look more Asian which made it kind of even worse?

they didn't try to make her look more asian. they made the plot about how she was actually an asian girl who was turned into a white girl and at the end she reunites with her asian mom, because american ghost in the shell is very self-aware and smart and understands Things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they did, however, briefly experiment with using the magic of computer graphics to make people look more asian early in production. because,

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

Do arguments like "she's not real" really hold up for these kind of situations?

Yes, because she’s not real.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really hyped for Assassin's Creed Odyssey now that it's less than a month away. I've been watching gameplay videos and holy poo poo it just looks so amazing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

lordfrikk posted:

Do arguments like "she's not real" really hold up for these kind of situations? I don't know enough about the books to know whether the author ever bothered to specify her skin color, but if he has it doesn't make much sense to me to be changing the source material. And I'm not only defending this when it comes to whatever is the analogue to whitewashing because I remember it wasn't that long ago when there was a huge backlash because of casting Scarlett Johannson for the role of Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell and I also kind of agreed with that not being the best of choices. I don't plan to watch the movie but I've heard they even made her look more Asian which made it kind of even worse?

How about the film and TV industry is heavily prejudiced against BAME actors and doing whichever improves representation for them is best?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I've only read Blood of Elves but no, Sapkowski only describes characters by their most prominent features e.g. weird hair colors, scars, build, so on. Ciri has an elf lineage and elves were once described as incapable of being tanned by the sun (not even a description of skin color, just "the sun doesn't darken them") but that's as close as you're going to get.

The frustrating thing about adapting source material, especially books, is that they get defined by the details publishers create after the fact and whether or not the author approves the visual language becomes solidified in people's mind as a result. Like Lavender Brown was portrayed by a black actress in the Harry Potter films until the movies suddenly needed her as an onscreen character and recast her as white which is super hosed up. Likewise the only the physical description of Hermione is "brown eyes, frizzy hair" but the iconic art in the original releases followed by the movie casting defined her character forever leading to racist backlash when a black woman was cast as her in a loving stage play.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do you guys know any speedrunning tips and/or tricks for despawning a hurricane off of the map? Florence is coming fairly close to where I live and personally I do not like this one bit!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Raxivace posted:

Do you guys know any speedrunning tips and/or tricks for despawning a hurricane off of the map? Florence is coming fairly close to where I live and personally I do not like this one bit!

During Irma last year I jokingly thought "why don't we just nuke hurricanes" and when I looked this up later, found that the most powerful atomic bombs ever created by man would basically do nothing against even a relatively weak tropical storm.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

exquisite tea posted:

During Irma last year I jokingly thought "why don't we just nuke hurricanes" and when I looked this up, I read that a volley of the most powerful atomic bombs ever created by man would basically do nothing against even a relatively weak tropical storm.

the weather is OP

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What does BAME mean?

Also, remember when Harvey Dent was played by Billy Dee Williams in the 89 Burton film but then when Batman Forever came out they gave the role to Tommy Lee Jones? That was lovely of them. Then the Lego Batman movie had Billy Dee Williams voice Two-Face.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Black and minority ethnicities

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

When will we get the first Indian Bond

Or, hell, Sikh Bond??

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Black and minority ethnicities

Thank you :)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

When will we get the first Indian Bond

Or, hell, Sikh Bond??

Still waiting on them to make James Bond a woman.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Iunno how to tell you this but white actors and actresses aren't struggling for roles in movies and television and aren't desperate for representation in fiction.

It's like how people tried to point to Japanese people, in Japan, not really caring that a white person was playing Motoko in the Ghost in the Shell movie, as some proof that it wasn't hosed up. Of course people living in Japan don't care, they live in a country where 98% of the population is Japanese. Literally every Japanese-produced movie they've seen has starred a Japanese person. It's a poo poo move for Japanese-American actresses in Hollywood and Asian-American viewers, because context is what's important here, not some vague binary.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, an i5 just isnt enough to emulate jet set radio future at 60fps and I cannot groove and skate at half speed. Options being wait for sega to remaster it (lol), or get a new laptop (lol)

:smithicide:

chumbler posted:

Still waiting on them to make James Bond a woman.

Or gay

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

lordfrikk posted:

It's a positive thing for film adaptations to differ from books. Books translated directly into film would rarely work. Ciri is a side character, granted she is the second most prominent character in the single most successful part of The Witcher series. But she is still just a side character.

To get Ghost in the Shell green lighted as a major movie it was probably integral that a big Hollywood star be on screen to draw in the every day cinema goer. If they tried to do a ridged faithful live action version it would have certainly failed spectacularly. The crux of the matter was finding the middle ground that sadly the movie failed on.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Golgo13 posted:

Ciri is a side character, granted she is the second most prominent character in the single most successful part of The Witcher series. But she is still just a side character.

What the gently caress

E: pretend I quoted the entire post

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 9, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/ikazombie/status/1038095029971996672

The JP dub of the Spider-Man game has a reference to the insane live-action Japanese TV series. "An emissary from hell! Spider-Man!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

Internet idiots consider The Witcher to be representative of Polish heritage because Poland is a fantasy land of magic, elves, and dragons. The author, Andrzej Sapkowski, told the showrunner to go loving nuts it's a fantasy world.

Andrzej is salty he sold the game rights for like 3 goldfish crackers and a backrub he wants to get that netfliz money

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

:same:

I was just out getting storm supplies and picked a bag of these because I thought "Kojima"

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

Good morning friends. Today I am going to play Wolfenstein: New Order and probably Etrian Odyssey Untold, because games where you have to draw maps are extremely cool and I love them. With Wolfenstein I have gotten into the trap of getting all the collectibles and reaching Platinum/100% Completion, because those things satisfy me immensely and they seem easy enough to do. I am tired of the dumb cutscenes which have to play at least partially to cover up loading but I am at 74% and I have unlocked a mode with infinite ammo and absurdly overcharged health on the hardest mode so I am pumped to see what else unlocks. Solving even a cheap math puzzle to get the unlocks is actually pretty cool and feels sort of like you’re actually breaking a code. Unlocking Perks by doing cool poo poo is also really satisfying. They really went out of their way to make you feel cool for accomplishing stuff, I like it.

I have Old Blood and New Colossus queued up and then I actually have a PS2 Wolfenstein and one for 360 (apparently just called “Wolfenstein” :geno:) and maybe I will play those after I get all the sidetrophies in Arkham City. If anybody read all of that and somehow has opinions on those other Wolfenstein games, please let me know.

Thank you for reading my video game opinions blog.

All Wolfenstein games are good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress, an i5 just isnt enough to emulate jet set radio future at 60fps and I cannot groove and skate at half speed. Options being wait for sega to remaster it (lol), or get a new laptop (lol)

you're probably not getting jsrf emulating on any kind of laptop because workable xbox emulation is such a recent thing

tbh i'm amazed to find out jsrf emulates now at all but at least the fact that xbox emulation is now actually developing might mean it might not be so inaccessible in the future i guess

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 9, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:same:

I was just out getting storm supplies and picked a bag of these because I thought "Kojima"

Are those the ones that make people violently ill?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

Live, Snake. That's all I can tell you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thank you for all the answers. I guess I don't have a good reason for why she should not be played by a person of color, I was just interested in other people's perspective. The only thing that comes up is that Ciri's white appearance was made super famous by the recent Witcher 3 in the minds of people and that her skin color doesn't matter (probably, don't know if it can have some implications on the wider cast as well given her lineage). You can apply the latter argument both ways, though, so it's kind of a moot point, and the first argument doesn't hold that much water either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

WHAT A THRILL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't like that scarjo got cast for the lead role instead of an asian actress, but at the same time I really really liked the live action speed racer movie and I don't really have any way of defending one case of whitewashing while condemning another. Cognitive dissonance I guess. Closest I can come to anything resembling an explanation is that I think the speed racer cartoon dub and the mach gogogo original ended up so different due to the dubbing and presentation, but I don't know if that's a "valid" reason since I think that would just mean that the cartoon was whitewashing the original

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also, regardless of representation, ScarJo sucks as an actress and the movie was bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's that one anime adaptation movie coming up where they use cg to make the main character's eyes look bigger like an anime girl's

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this is a drilling game where your health bar is a slowly emptying drunkness meter and you restore it by pressing a dedicated beer button that makes your fat, bearded minor guy pull out a bottle of beer and empty it into his mouth

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

What's that one anime adaptation movie coming up where they use cg to make the main character's eyes look bigger like an anime girl's

Battle Angel Alita

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Battle Angel Alita?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't say I support a video game about fat bearded minors getting as drunk as possible :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe James Cameron has been trying to make Alita a film for literally two decades and that's what it's gonna be

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Battle Angel Alita

Andrast posted:

Battle Angel Alita?

Yeah that one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't like that scarjo got cast for the lead role instead of an asian actress, but at the same time I really really liked the live action speed racer movie and I don't really have any way of defending one case of whitewashing while condemning another. Cognitive dissonance I guess. Closest I can come to anything resembling an explanation is that I think the speed racer cartoon dub and the mach gogogo original ended up so different due to the dubbing and presentation, but I don't know if that's a "valid" reason since I think that would just mean that the cartoon was whitewashing the original
Yeah, the Speed Racer movie is specifically an adaptation of an adaptation, you could say it was pre-whitewashed which is why it works. Well, no, the real reason it works is that the Speed Racer movie is infinitely better as a movie than GitS, even discounting the whole adaptation aspect.

This all reminds me of Geppy-X, a PS1 shmup basically made to resemble the 70s version of Getter Robo, complete with opening and ending credits and toy ads, and one of the secret modes you can unlock is the Starvengers-like whitewashed american version.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 9, 2018

• Locked thread