Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They mentioned that basically the next patch is more rocketry related stuff. I don't see myself ever getting to a rocket but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mayveena posted:

They mentioned that basically the next patch is more rocketry related stuff. I don't see myself ever getting to a rocket but :shrug:

I saw a video on youtube where the guy built 34 rockets at the bottom of the map in sandbox mode. That's as many as would fit in the world with a 1 tile wall between them and he put the save file up for grabs too. Basically you have the starmap screen, pick a target for each rocket (5 possible places to send them and get cargo back based on where they went) then hit launch. Once you leave the starmap, the launches happen and for the next 30 minutes (if you leave it running) you get to watch a slide show. They fire upwards automatically mining anything in their path, breaking what can't be mined and raising the temperature by 250 or so degrees C.
Every single dupe of the map died, hell, they even destroyed the neutronium pads that geysers sit on. Oddly enough the various critters were untouched and just fell to the bottom with all the fluids and debris.

You can check progress via the starmap and at the 100% mark they reappear a few tiles above their launch point and back in to a landing. I couldn't work out how to get the astronaut to come out or access the cargo and gave up when the astronauts all suffocated in the command pods.

To put it bluntly, rockets are buggy as all hell. They need another full dev cycle to get anywhere near being a useful part of gameplay.

And while on the subject of useless, buggy stuff: I tried to use a steam generator yesterday. Man what a waste of time. Even with a hot steam geyser, all the heat leaks out through the generator - meaning unless it's working all the time and the geyser filling it up all the time, it will gradually stop working as the steam in the tank equalises temperature with whatever the generator is in contact with. For all the hassle of dealing with 500 degree steam, 2kw produced seems a bit megre but then again, it consumes steam at a rate of 10kg/s which is hardly balanced in the first place.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks, I'll wait on the rockets then.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I binged through a bit over 100 hours of the game when I got it during the first space update. I think I'm good enough on the game to wait for them to do whatever polish and fix passes they have queued up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Turns out you can just flood Algae Terrariums and they work fine. Hmm, might try them to reduce the heat in the base from the deodorizers. Although I only use one deodorizer until cycle 50 or so, so may not be worth the trouble.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

Turns out you can just flood Algae Terrariums and they work fine. Hmm, might try them to reduce the heat in the base from the deodorizers. Although I only use one deodorizer until cycle 50 or so, so may not be worth the trouble.

That's something they showed off in literally the first stream of the game, I believe. Funny that's it's become a secret at this point. The issue with it is that you still need to empty/re-algae them.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They are a fantastic early-game source of clean PW though. it's great for cooling.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

insta posted:

They are a fantastic early-game source of clean PW though. it's great for cooling.

Was, past tense now since this patch. Water = polluted water now from a heat perspective.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It's got 66% the heat capacity it used to, but it still has the higher boiling point and magic heat deletion device. If you build your hot equipment in a stairstep (or vertical zigzag) with a bottle emptier / vent at the top and a pump+sieve at the bottom, you can keep all your industrial equipment around 40-50C without wheezeworts. Not quite as OP as it once was, but still useful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

insta posted:

It's got 66% the heat capacity it used to, but it still has the higher boiling point and magic heat deletion device. If you build your hot equipment in a stairstep (or vertical zigzag) with a bottle emptier / vent at the top and a pump+sieve at the bottom, you can keep all your industrial equipment around 40-50C without wheezeworts. Not quite as OP as it once was, but still useful.

How do you avoid getting the "building is flooded" message?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The water is moving over them, they pick up heat as it flows by. maybe it doesn't work anymore? :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If they haven't changed anything, the small amount of water that would be retained in the corners of the zigzag (you are putting in liquid-passable tiles to support the machines and maintain the staircase effect, right?) isn't enough to trigger the message.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What’s this zig zag setup? Can someone post a screenshot?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anyone have any favorite world seeds they could share? I'm googling up a bunch, but most of them seem pretty old by now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Expressive upgrade seeds are still valid.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

What’s this zig zag setup? Can someone post a screenshot?

You're overthinking it.

Let's say you've got three kilns you want to keep cool. Create a "tower" of insulated tiles with a gap between them of a single piece of the equipment. Start with the floor of the tower, put one mesh tile against the wall, and then fill the remaining floor with regular tile. Put your machine here, then repeat on the next floor. The difference with the next floor is you put the mesh tile on the opposite side. At the top of the tower, put either a bottle emptier or a water vent, and empty polluted water into it. As the water falls, it will run across each floor and spill out of the mesh tile. Since the mesh tiles are offset, the PW will flow across each floor, picking up the heat as it moves. By the time it reaches the bottom, it will be substantially hotter. A few hundred kilograms of water will easily get you through the research into automation, and then you can set up contraptions to sieve off the water that's above a threshold of temperature.

I'd add a screenshot but I'm on my phone :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

looking at buying this one, but I have to ask - is there a good ingame tutorial for the basics or is it a guide/youtube type affair?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

looking at buying this one, but I have to ask - is there a good ingame tutorial for the basics or is it a guide/youtube type affair?

There's supposed to be something in game but I've never used it or seen it. Good choice buying it as it's a good game, the finished product should be excellent but in youtube you trust as far as learning goes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s a “try something, fail at it, try it again” game. You keep doing things until your colony has a failure cascade, at which point you start a new game and utilize what you’ve learned in previous games. I remember starting a new colony thinking “this game I want to learn/use X, Y plus Z and if that happens I consider this colony a success”. Don’t be tempted by end-game research, advanced jobs and the ability to constantly recruit more people.

There are guides on the internet, but keep in mind that some of their info might be outdated as the game is still in early access. For example: you are going to find a lot of information that still tells you that CO2 floats to the bottom(correct, it’s a heavy gas)-right(incorrect, they removed that bias).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 10, 2018

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

double nine posted:

I've done well with a couple of Steam guides, a few YouTube tutorials (you want CrypticFox, for one), and lots of questions here and on the Discord. https://discord.gg/3jQSxBM My experience is that people are happy to answer even the dumbest questions.
My advice would be that a lot of people are playing the game at a very high level, doing dark wizardry to build the most efficient water-based and gas-based setups. You don't have to be that person starting out, and you can skip the posts about self-powered oxygen generators when people are talking about them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

double nine posted:

You can use my handy-dandy guide to at least get started. I don't know of any youtubers who are really doing a beginner style playlist, they are all way past a tutorial.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W09ftcvI-Pt8nXtkYWc9JcnpmiLbyijqO8Tx05eOe8/edit

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mayveena posted:

You can use my handy-dandy guide to at least get started. I don't know of any youtubers who are really doing a beginner style playlist, they are all way past a tutorial.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W09ftcvI-Pt8nXtkYWc9JcnpmiLbyijqO8Tx05eOe8/edit

that'd be handy but it's locked behind a permissions screen?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

double nine posted:

that'd be handy but it's locked behind a permissions screen?

Sigh
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W09ftcvI-Pt8nXtkYWc9JcnpmiLbyijqO8Tx05eOe8/edit?usp=sharing

Try that one

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s a “try something, fail at it, try it again” game. You keep doing things until your colony has a failure cascade, at which point you start a new game and utilize what you’ve learned in previous games. I remember starting a new colony thinking “this game I want to learn/use X, Y plus Z and if that happens I consider this colony a success”. Don’t be tempted by end-game research, advanced jobs and the ability to constantly recruit more people.

There are guides on the internet, but keep in mind that some of their info might be outdated as the game is still in early access. For example: you are going to find a lot of information that still tells you that CO2 floats to the bottom(correct, it’s a heavy gas)-right(incorrect, they removed that bias).

Yeah, just remember the Dwarf Fortress mantra; losing is fun!

Though the one, single piece of advice I'd give is to not hit PRINT every time a new dupe is available. Check them out immediately to see if they all suck but don't immediately print one. Also if their negative traits are all terrible just reject them all and wait no matter how badly you want a new dupe right now. Otherwise don't print a new dupe until you are absolutely certain you can afford one. That means oxygen and food. Getting furniture set up for a new dupe is stupidly easy but the logistics side of it is less so. This is especially true if you're still eating algae for oxygen. That absolutely will run out much faster than you think.

Four dupes is easy to manage but beyond that gets difficult and fast.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Four dupes is easy to manage but beyond that gets difficult and fast.
This. Basically, you are on a curve balancing manpower against costs in oxygen, water, and eventually heat. If you hire print too fast you're going to use up resources faster than you can reproduce them. Look at Mayveena's handy-dandy guide for suggestions. In general, I create way too many dupes, so I'm trying to impose a discipline of "Is this dupe absolutely necessary at this time?" Basically, there's no point in grabbing somebody with 8 in cooking if you aren't doing any cooking yet. There's no point in grabbing an astonishing miner unless your current miners aren't able to keep up with the work.

I like having six dupes so that you've got miner, researcher, builder, gofer/groundskeeper doubleclass, farmer, and artist. Miner, researcher, builder are self-explanatory. You need somebody to pick up the trash and get it where it's needed. And the artist keeps everybody's morale up.

The only way to get rid of surplus dupes is to go all Sims and starve them to death. Nobody wants that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so a newbie question here: I currently have a well-oxygenated base with, at the bottom, a whole chamber full of carbon dioxide. Now seems a good time to wonder about gas mechanics here:

if I let more duplicants enter without boosting my oxygen production, I'm assuming that the oxygen will deplete and the co2 will increase. But what will happen if I build more algae deoxydizers? Their description does not imply that CO2 is consumed in the production of oxygen, and duplicants produce co2 while breathing... does this mean that the co2 will continue to build up unless I build something that will filter out CO2 (currently algae terrariums)?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

double nine posted:

so a newbie question here: I currently have a well-oxygenated base with, at the bottom, a whole chamber full of carbon dioxide. Now seems a good time to wonder about gas mechanics here:

if I let more duplicants enter without boosting my oxygen production, I'm assuming that the oxygen will deplete and the co2 will increase. But what will happen if I build more algae deoxydizers? Their description does not imply that CO2 is consumed in the production of oxygen, and duplicants produce co2 while breathing... does this mean that the co2 will continue to build up unless I build something that will filter out CO2 (currently algae terrariums)?

Correct. Deoxydizers convert algae to oxygen. They don't do anything about the CO2 buildup.

You have two options for CO2 removal: terrariums or skimmers. The latter is a tier 2 tech, so it's pretty easy to build, although it requires some piping and power.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

double nine posted:

As long as your base doesn't grow, the CO2 will build up. I don't know if it's an exploit or what, but I just keep making rooms below the base for the CO2 to move into, and use my one Algae deodorizer. Eventually I create a SPOM for oxygen but I don't need one for the first 30 or so cycles. I never use anything to actually delete CO2 as it can be useful, particularly for growing mushrooms and if you use the refrigerator exploit (refrigerators cool if they are immersed in CO2). Google SPOM and you'll see examples of them. Mine is very simple and doesn't include cooling which you'll need eventually, which is why I'm not posting it. CO2 is always going to find the lowest place possible because it's the heaviest gas in the game (at the moment at least).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

double nine posted:

Terrariums don't seem to do much about CO2, really. You're right though deoxydizers just eat algae and spit out oxygen. CO2 just constantly builds up until you find something to do with it. Of course once you get into power that isn't hamster wheels you'll also end up with more to deal with; coal power belches it out like crazy as does natural gas. As was mentioned you can deal with it for quite some time by just keeping on digging. That of course has its limits; it can also be useful to keep some around to grow mushrooms.

You can remove it with a carbon skimmer if it gets too bad. Really you'll probably only ever need one and it should be automated as you probably won't need to run it constantly. It of course increases heat so have a way to deal with that. In any event it's handy to build one of those at the level in your base you want the CO2 to STOP then only turn it on if it detects it above a certain pressure. That way it only turns on if the carbon gets too high.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Both terrariums and deoxidizers have their place.

Terrariums are good if you have lots of water but not much algae. Vice versa for deoxidizer.

Deoxidizer is the method of O2 generation for most people because they are low maintenance and algae tends to be plenty at the beginning. Where terrariums become immensely helpful is when digging down, or in general when working in CO2-heavy environments. The oxygen produced by a single terrarium will be sufficient to allow your dupes to catch their breath without walking/climbing aaaaall the way back to the main area. It's critical for work efficiency. And they don't require power so you don't need to worry about running wires.

A SPOM tends to be one of the very first "advanced" blueprints I build, and I turn off my oxidizer after that and never have to worry about oxygen. But terrariums never stop being useful.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The lack of power draw is the biggest advantage of the terrariums, really; you can just barf them out anywhere and create oxygen. The issue is that they poo poo out polluted water. If you don't clean that up you'll end up with polluted oxygen all over the place. Some of that isn't an issue but too many germs in a polluted atmosphere can be a very bad thing. It isn't something you want to get out of control.

They also don't generate much oxygen; you need a ton of them if they're all you use. I generally try to avoid having a lot of them though I have to admit setting one up in some area I'm only going to temporarily have dupes in is fantastic from a convenience standpoint. Just let it bake for a bit then disassemble it whenever the dupes are done.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Recent Reddit thread on SPOMs. I want my SPOM to be at least power neutral so not all of them would work for me, but there are some interesting setups in there.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The lack of power draw is the biggest advantage of the terrariums, really; you can just barf them out anywhere and create oxygen. The issue is that they poo poo out polluted water. If you don't clean that up you'll end up with polluted oxygen all over the place. Some of that isn't an issue but too many germs in a polluted atmosphere can be a very bad thing. It isn't something you want to get out of control.

Be careful of this if your map seed has not generated a full abyssalite wall around your central area. Several maps I made recently had 1M germ slime chunks in or very close to the central area with no 'hard' rock separation. It'd be very easy to dig into these especially since the slimelung spreads out into the surrounding area as time goes on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

enraged_camel posted:

I agree about the name being misleading. However, one of the reasons I like ONI over games like Factorio is that ONI gives you the basic building blocks to be able to design and implement more complex structures and machines, as opposed to giving you purpose-specific buildings to just place where needed. It is what keeps the game interesting, at least for me.

A real-life airlock is fairly easy to build. Here's the basic design I use:

I fill the pit with CO2 and voila. Yeah it's a bit annoying to build over and over, but stuff like this teaches you that sometimes it's OK to not worry too much about gases mixing. I mean you have gas filters, so you can always filter out the unwanted gases after the fact if you really really need.

This is really clever. I'm very impressed with all the creative ways players solve problems in this game.

Question: What's the best way to make the most out of the anti-entropy doohickeys? I have a line pumping filtered hydrogen to it, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the coldness to areas that need it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Mayveena posted:

Recent Reddit thread on SPOMs. I want my SPOM to be at least power neutral so not all of them would work for me, but there are some interesting setups in there.

I was actually playing with this last night. I settled on this one as it is compact, produces plenty of oxygen, and outputs a good amount of power.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Travic posted:

I was actually playing with this last night. I settled on this one as it is compact, produces plenty of oxygen, and outputs a good amount of power.

That is the best one.

Pro tip: avoid any SPOM design that doesn't have a cooling chamber. Otherwise the oxygen will slowly heat your base (it comes out of the electrolyzer at 70 degrees) and your plants will stop growing after a while, leading to starvation.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I dislike how there's no option to disable the need for thermal management when the only real way to deal with it is via planting magical flowers everywhere. Even with my lovely naive electrolyzer setups I was able to keep things chilly with a few Wheezeworts planted around the outlet vents.

Someone tell them that the ISS uses ammonia refrigerators and space radiators to stay cool so they go and add those, at the very minimum.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Another (better) way to deal with CO2 build-up is to use it in a mushroom farm instead of just scrubbing it away. Typically, I build a pocket in the bottom of my base for CO2 to collect in, then plant mushrooms down there as a kind of CO2 sink that produces tasty plant food. Also helps bridge that gap while you work on setting up a nice bristle berry farm.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

enraged_camel posted:

That is the best one.

Pro tip: avoid any SPOM design that doesn't have a cooling chamber. Otherwise the oxygen will slowly heat your base (it comes out of the electrolyzer at 70 degrees) and your plants will stop growing after a while, leading to starvation.

SPOM Heat death was the second lesson I learned in the game. After my second or third base ended up dying horribly due to starvation, I realized that it was the SPOM heating my base up and murdering my plants.

I eventually settled on a cooling 'module' for my air instead of building it directly into my SPOM. Typically the same idea: A room of wheezeworts, and some automation to constantly cycle air until it reaches appropriate temperatures. I even got fancy and built a secondary line to my pincha peppers that bypassed the cooling room entirely via insulated ducts.

fake edit - the first lesson I learned was how precious clean water was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

User0015 posted:

Another (better) way to deal with CO2 build-up is to use it in a mushroom farm instead of just scrubbing it away. Typically, I build a pocket in the bottom of my base for CO2 to collect in, then plant mushrooms down there as a kind of CO2 sink that produces tasty plant food. Also helps bridge that gap while you work on setting up a nice bristle berry farm.

Mushrooms don't consume any CO2. They just need to be immersed in it. So you'll still have to deal with the buildup.