Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fancyclown posted:

Roger Federer is a saint! Seriously though, I love Roger Federer.

I regret to say that Roger Federer, too, is a dope fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Serena is a dope fraud.

i tingle when we agree

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seems selfish for Serena to have melted down in a game she was losing so that all the stories this morning were about her being hard done by. Very rude to her opponent.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

roid rage

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if they're all dopers it doesn't matter. lance did nothing wrong.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

ArmZ posted:

if they're all dopers it doesn't matter. lance did nothing wrong.

He wasted valuable dope athletes could have used for riding a bicycle better and trying to murder himself in his sleep.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

She was just fined $17,000 too. Yes, a lot of you defending the umpire or saying she’s to blame for this are being sexist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Osaka was better and on her way to winning anyway. Serena is still awesome and the GOAT. On her being perceived as some sort of classless bully: people are celebrating John McEnroe, „such a character!“, to this day, a guy who abused umpires and linesmen too many times to count. What happened yesterday absolutely had to do with her being a woman talking poo poo to the ref. But a piece like the one by Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post goes too far when she concludes that we will never know whether or not Osaka could have won without the incident. I strongly disagree with that.
Sally Jenkins is a loving hack who tried to redeem Lance Armstrong.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I hope Serena is okay after she jawed off like a loving bear trap before the evil union that rules tennis, out of pure venom and sexism, punished Serena in a game she was losing anyway because motherhood makes you weak.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone saying male players say worse are missing the point. They do it, get a warning, and stop. You don't have to call the umpire a loving cocksucker to draw a verbal abuse code violation. It was her 3rd violation, and the 3rd violation is a game penalty. Serena knows the rules but thinks they don't apply to her.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I hope Serena is okay after she jawed off like a loving bear trap before the evil union that rules tennis, out of pure venom and sexism, punished Serena in a game she was losing anyway because motherhood makes you weak.

The extremely racist WTA blatantly punished Serena Williams in favor of *checks* Naomi Osaka

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like I'm in crazytown with the Washington Post and USA Today columns. The USA Today columnist is especially bad: "Ramos penalized Williams for an absurd infraction involving her coach “coaching,” which for reasons no one can really understand, is somehow not allowed in tennis. Just imagine the Golden State Warriors being penalized for Coach Steve Kerr daring to coach his team during a game."

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

LionArcher posted:

She was just fined $17,000 too. Yes, a lot of you defending the umpire or saying she’s to blame for this are being sexist.

no they should fined the men too. and they have. and lol at skip Bayless jumping on the band wagon he doesn't give a poo poo about tennis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I'm in crazytown with the Washington Post and USA Today columns. The USA Today columnist is especially bad: "Ramos penalized Williams for an absurd infraction involving her coach “coaching,” which for reasons no one can really understand, is somehow not allowed in tennis. Just imagine the Golden State Warriors being penalized for Coach Steve Kerr daring to coach his team during a game."

Tennis coverage is terrible because 90% of people who follow/write about the sport don't actually pay attention to anything that isn't at least a Grand Slam semi-final.

Also nobody bothers to ask why an extremely athletic sport is dominated by people who are in their mid-30s, because that would be inconvenient.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey if you're on the other side of sexism and or racism and you feel like you're in crazy town for not getting it maybe... like just maybe.....

You're wrong?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love all the "that rule is stupid" takes. I bet these are the same people who watch soccer once and constantly say the offside rule is dumb.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I love all the "that rule is stupid" takes. I bet these are the same people who watch soccer once and constantly say the offside rule is dumb.

I don't think anyone is arguing the rule but rather the enforcement?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Veskit posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing the rule but rather the enforcement?
Are you saying the umpire should not have given the verbal abuse code violation? That happens all the time with men. The difference is that it's usually their first violation and then they stop. For Serena, it was her 3rd. The rule is that your 3rd violation is a game penalty.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you saying the umpire should not have given the verbal abuse code violation? That happens all the time with men. The difference is that it's usually their first violation and then they stop. For Serena, it was her 3rd. The rule is that your 3rd violation is a game penalty.

The coaching violation was ridiculous and the ump should have made an attempt to deescalate before throwing a game violation. Literally all sports are given this respect and most men in tennis. Also there's no sport outside of fighting that someone coul d give the opponent a point like that so it's even crazier.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veskit posted:

The coaching violation was ridiculous and the ump should have made an attempt to deescalate before throwing a game violation. Literally all sports are given this respect and most men in tennis. Also there's no sport outside of fighting that someone coul d give the opponent a point like that so it's even crazier.

Lol why. How that would be fair to Osaka who didn't have a rolling meltdown and call the umpire a thief. Because Serena is more famous?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Veskit posted:

he was clearly coaching and he admitted it later that he was telling her to go to the net

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I think they're talking about the coaching violation, which IMO was the only call that was even remotely controversial. It's a rarely enforced rule, but sometimes umps like to remind people the rules still exist even if they're not usually enforced. The first violation is just a warning anyway, so normally no one gives a poo poo.

The 2nd violation was for racket smashing, no comment needed.

And the 3rd was for berating the ref non-stop after every single court change for the entire set. I mean, no poo poo she got a violation? How many umps are just going to let a player insult them, constantly, on mic, in front of millions of people, non-stop for 10 minutes?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Holy poo poo do you guys not understand what I mean by it's an enforcement issue?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veskit posted:

Holy poo poo do you guys not understand what I mean by it's an enforcement issue?

Please explain why a referee is responsible for "de-escalating" a player yelling at them without giving them a penalty. Also explain why this is at all fair to the player who isn't breaking the rules.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like holy poo poo if you called a soccer ref a thief and a liar because you didn't like a free kick call, you'd get at least a yellow and very likely a straight red and a big rear end fine from your league. He is not responsible for explaining his actions or "de-escalating".

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Veskit posted:

They don’t because they are Sexist trump voters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is always a level of discretion when it comes to refereeing and people who believe there is one absolute correct way to approach every situation probably believe the poo poo that Kavanaugh spewed this week

Yes, in a Grand Slam final where things are especially heated, it is certainly possible, and more useful, for the umpire to say "if you keep going with this you're getting a game penalty" at the very least. This is the same tournament where another umpire got out of their chair to plead with a player to play better for the good of the sport.

Anyway the women's doubles finals are on for people who are watching tennis and not just driving by with thermonuclear takes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LionArcher posted:

They don’t because they are Sexist trump voters.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is always a level of discretion when it comes to refereeing and people who believe there is one absolute correct way to approach every situation probably believe the poo poo that Kavanaugh spewed this week

Great takes. You guys could write tennis articles for the press. All you need to do is promise never to watch a single match that isn't in a Grand Slam tournament and promise to never learn anything about any player who isn't Serena Williams or one of the big four men's players.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Great takes. You guys could write tennis articles for the press. All you need to do is promise never to watch a single match that isn't in a Grand Slam tournament and promise to never learn anything about any player who isn't Serena Williams or one of the big four men's players.

Too late, I can't do this, sorry

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like holy poo poo if you called a soccer ref a thief and a liar because you didn't like a free kick call, you'd get at least a yellow and very likely a straight red and a big rear end fine from your league. He is not responsible for explaining his actions or "de-escalating".

If it was a world cup match the ref would be irresponsible not to holy poo poo we've gone over this.

Also its not on the same level of discipline at literally giving you opponent points

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
i think there's some cross-talk between whether the rule was unusually enforced and whether that enforcement should be unusual. I don't know about the first because I'm a Grand Slam Watcher but as to the latter I can only pray this happens to Djokovic someday

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mladenovic is v. good

Dutchy posted:

i think there's some cross-talk between whether the rule was unusually enforced and whether that enforcement should be unusual. I don't know about the first because I'm a Grand Slam Watcher but as to the latter I can only pray this happens to Djokovic someday

Hopefully today

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Veskit posted:

If it was a world cup match the ref would be irresponsible not to holy poo poo we've gone over this.

Also its not on the same level of discipline at literally giving you opponent points

Someone literally scored on a penalty in the last World Cup Final lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Veskit posted:

a ref would give a red here which is worse than dropping a game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a penalty in soccer which has happened in multiple finals, and frequently for borderline calls, is significantly worse than getting a game penalty in tennis, even in a 3-set match lol.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It's a shame this talk of Serena has dominated.

Calling the official a liar and a thief is basically saying they're are not fit to do the job. Completely different from a simple gently caress you Federer did (and later got fined for).

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Pretty hosed up that the umpire (chair ref) didn't cradle Serena's head in his arms, rock gently back and forth and say "there there, it's going to be okay" quietly in her ear after every point while Osaka stood, silent, other than a slight nod.

The sickening macho culture in the racist and sexist WTA has once again robbed Serena Williams, noted for her otherwise spotless record, of a grand slam by not wiping her shins with a moist towellette after every point whilst Osaka (her opponent) was beaten with Nike shoes.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Whenever Serena Williams is not on the screen all the other players should be asking "Where's Serena?"

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
I think you could reasonably argue either way about whether the ump was right to enforce a rarely-enforced rule in the middle of a final. On paper, he was certainly within his right to do it, but given the circumstances and the context of the rule's general enforcement, I'm not sure it's the choice I would have made. Either way, questionable but not egregious, IMO. I do think they need to decide whether it's a real rule that they're going to take seriously going forward. Having something on the books that everyone constantly violates and rarely gets called on, but COULD get called on at any moment, doesn't really benefit anyone.

The only other mistake I think the ump made was possibly not communicating the violations well enough. It's hard to say because you can't really tell what he was saying to her over the tv broadcast, but Serena seemed to not realize that the first infraction really was an infraction (otherwise, I don't know why she would be shocked to get strike 2 when smashing her racket, which is pretty clear-cut). The commentators also made the point that the inside of the stadium gets super loud and sometimes players can't even hear the umpire over the noise, so that doesn't help.

Serena's big mistake was in interpreting that coaching infraction as a personal insult on her integrity, which it most definitely is not. An ump saying "your coach was attempting to coach you" (and has been previously said, the coach himself admitted it) is a lot different than "you are a cheater". But once she interpreted it as the latter, all bets were off and she seemed to feel justified in repeatedly raising the issue through the rest of the match. At that point, she was playing with fire and should have known that.

And like Josh Lyman said, lots of men say worse things to the umps, but most people get that first warning and stop while they're ahead (but not always, as we saw with McEnroe who once got loving ejected from a major for it). Repeatedly going back at the ump over the course of the match can get you another penalty regardless of how "bad" any single thing you said was. I think a lot of people only saw the story as "Serena called the ump a thief and he docked her a game, what the gently caress?" when that's a super incomplete representation of what happened. I don't think painting the ump as sexist is a fair assessment, and Serena herself said after the match that he's always been a great ump in her experience.

In the end, I definitely think Osaka was going to win and I feel bad for her in how it happened. If Serena was really playing well enough to win, then getting one game taken away probably wouldn't have been enough to change that. One game is significant but it's not some death-sentence in the scope of a whole match. Keep in mind the first set was 6-2, not exactly super competitive. Anyway, with how good Osaka's been looking, I think she'll be back in this position soon and can solidify it.

Also, this:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anyway the women's doubles finals are on for people who are watching tennis and not just driving by with thermonuclear takes

Doubles owns and doesn't get the attention it deserves. Go watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Doubles will always hold a place in my heart for continuing to help Martina Hingis afford masses of cocaine.

Good on you, doubles.

• Locked thread