Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I saw a talk by these people;
https://xsure.io/
and I still have no idea what they are offering. Does anyone here speak blockchain well enough to summarize? It looks like insurance on blockchain (including proof of ownership before you can take out a policy), with AI and machine learning to simplify insurance processes? I know they mentioned two blockchains in the talk, a public and a private, but it seems so pointless.
EDIT: They mentioned Ethereum as if that was magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Lambert posted:

Isn't that a thing with plenty of cars?
It's becoming more common. See also, the BMW i8 for another good example of this sort of idiocy.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Doug Sisk posted:

and I still have no idea what they are offering. Does anyone here speak blockchain well enough to summarize? It looks like insurance on blockchain (including proof of ownership before you can take out a policy), with AI and machine learning to simplify insurance processes? I know they mentioned two blockchains in the talk, a public and a private, but it seems so pointless.

First rule of stupid ICO ideas is: don't be distracted. Ignore the stupid idea completely - it's always about the flow of tokens, ETH and actualmoney. That's the only bit of the white paper you should pay attention to.

In this case it's pretty straightforward:

* 27,000 ETH as startup funding

So then it's a question of how long they keep pretending to do any development work. How fast could you look like you were spending a few million dollars?

* Founders + coreteam + early investors 20% of tokens
* Advisors 10% of tokens

- though I don't even see plans on how to trade the tokens, you bet there'll be some secondary market.

Though the stupid idea can be worth making fun of. This stupid idea is to replace insurance with smart contracts. But the hard part's always a human decision. So, AI!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

klafbang posted:

It’s pretty clear the unopenable backseat doors in the model 3 is a law-suit waiting to happen.

what the gently caress does that have to do with anything, tesla could be a literal scam never delivering a single vehicle and that'd probably only make it even more popular with bitcoiners

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
isnt teslas motto literally "move fast break stuff". a brilliant motto for a car company

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
oops no thats fart puckerturds facebooks ex-motto so nm

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1038258410867765250

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Wanna hear a story about bitcoin investors? Sure you do.

Back in 2014 a Finnish bitcoin investor by the name of Risto Pietilä bought a mansion in Estonia that traces its history since the medieval ages. Malla mansion was envisioned as a "bitcoin hub", where bitcoiners would meet and network in the unsurprisingly titled "Satoshi suite". But to do that, he needed to renovate the mansion, and to get the money for it, he waited for bitcoin to increase even further in value. In his words: "If bitcoin keeps on growing, I'll be ten times richer next year than now. If it collapses, at least I have this castle."

For obvious reasons, the grand renovation never happened, instead only basic maintenance that didn't address the basic problems were done. And now those dreams were dashed when a raging fire destroyed a large part of the mansion today. Sadly the fire apparently started from power tools on the site and not from bitcoin mining rigs, but that doesn't make it any less of a bitcoin story.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I guess he couldn't find an insurance company that accepted bitcoin.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Doug Sisk posted:

its basically the opposite of simplifying insurance, what they are proposing is letting insurance companies have full access to your Smart Toaster so they use Machine Learning to figure out a special personalised insurance contract of "if you have dark toast for breakfast you should be charged 2 cents more per month on your health insurance". also everything goes through their Platform that is totally important and necessary and not just a pointless middleman in the world of Decentralised Smart AI Contracts. how else would insurance providers contact people with smartphones, if not with xsure's advanced ML algorithms and hybrid sentiment analysis model (based on (cite paper))

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Most of the time the ICO website has a list of articles (they paid to have) written about how awesome they are.

These guys have...a scrolling list of ICO crowdsale websites they are (paying to be) on. Literally "we have an ad in all of these places, buy our shitcoin".

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Yesterday I met old buddies and work colleagues I had not seen since 2015 and 2016 and two of them bought heavily and late into the Irrational rise and hype at like 17k and told proudly they are HODL believers and this will pay out one day, because there is no way Bitcoin won’t break 60k some day lmao. :classiclol:

The mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance these people have while believing „the market“ will make things work and while ignoring that the manipulation ended with profits for the few and these mega investors just went to other assets and left Bitcoin in ashes of the like 7k we have now was entertaining.
They just throw common sense out of the window like everyone does who got scammed and believed the wrong apostles. And how angry they get when you tell them it’s over and if they would be able to pay the dinner and drinks last night with Bitcoin (they were not, only Cash, EC + Credit Cards accepted lol). :xd:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Adar posted:

Most of the time the ICO website has a list of articles (they paid to have) written about how awesome they are.

These guys have...a scrolling list of ICO crowdsale websites they are (paying to be) on. Literally "we have an ad in all of these places, buy our shitcoin".

yeah, that's pretty common too, or everywhere that's run their press release

Cryogen did even better - they did that, but their host organisation, KrioRus, got an article in Russian Playboy ... and included a link to a PDF of the entire magazine. Bet Playboy were thrilled.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

divabot posted:

Cryogen did even better - they did that, but their host organisation, KrioRus, got an article in Russian Playboy ... and included a link to a PDF of the entire magazine. Bet Playboy were thrilled.

Well, if you're gonna link an article, you might as well link the whole thing - everybody reads those for the articles only

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.PayDay posted:

Yesterday I met old buddies and work colleagues I had not seen since 2015 and 2016 and two of them bought heavily and late into the Irrational rise and hype at like 17k and told proudly they are HODL believers and this will pay out one day, because there is no way Bitcoin won’t break 60k some day lmao. :classiclol:

The mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance these people have while believing „the market“ will make things work and while ignoring that the manipulation ended with profits for the few and these mega investors just went to other assets and left Bitcoin in ashes of the like 7k we have now was entertaining.
They just throw common sense out of the window like everyone does who got scammed and believed the wrong apostles. And how angry they get when you tell them it’s over and if they would be able to pay the dinner and drinks last night with Bitcoin (they were not, only Cash, EC + Credit Cards accepted lol). :xd:

Yeah people get really reptile brained with money and Being Massively Wrong. It's funny.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
I'm kind of surprised they need to keep printing tether to run these frauds - surely there are enough people converting tether into cash which eventually returns the tether to bitfinex?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Jombo posted:

converting tether into cash

there's your problem

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jombo posted:

surely there are enough people converting tether into cash
thats what the guy who clicks the "print more tether" button does

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

not only can you not convert tether to cash, you can't even convert cash to tether

but somehow hundreds of millions of new tethers keep appearing :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Jombo posted:

people converting tether into cash

:lol:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

fisting by many posted:

not only can you not convert tether to cash, you can't even convert cash to tether

but somehow hundreds of millions of new tethers keep appearing :thunk:

there are literally thousands of companies with billions of dollars between them waiting to throw it all in very large, even amounts at a company that can't even say where they're banked for fear of their accounts getting shut down

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
has anyone made a tether thats backed by tethers yet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

jimmyjams posted:

has anyone made a tether thats backed by tethers yet

all 3 billion tethers are backed 1:1 with the 3 billion tethers they possess

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
IOUD = I Owe U dollar

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/_Kevin_Pham/status/1038535118766264320

Buy "Ethereum is a security" shirts, no cryptocurrency accepted!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"crony crypto"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Itchy and Scratchy Money?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
homercoin. youre gonna make a lot of d'oh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

jimmyjams posted:

homercoin. youre gonna make a lot of d'oh

bortdollars

We are out of bortdollars

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
My son is also paid in Bortdollars.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VitalSigns posted:

"crony crypto"?

Bitcorn

e: I originally read that as "corny crypto". So, yeah, that joke just makes no sense now, I guess. :downsrim:

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 10, 2018

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

"crony crypto"?

Normal cryptocurrency is just filthy digital fiat now because everyone is involved with it. people are trying to re-capture the magic of the early days of bitcoin where you were seen as an outsider and revolutionary for buying in.

That's why these guys are lusting for the death of the actual popular cryptocurrencies. You would think they would support the ones that actually managed to go somewhere as a proof of concept but they hate them because they aren't artisinal hand-crafted cryptocurrencies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Normal cryptocurrency is just filthy digital fiat now because everyone is involved with it. people are trying to re-capture the magic of the early days of bitcoin where you were seen as an outsider and revolutionary for buying in.

That's why these guys are lusting for the death of the actual popular cryptocurrencies. You would think they would support the ones that actually managed to go somewhere as a proof of concept but they hate them because they aren't artisinal hand-crafted cryptocurrencies.

It's because the only point of being a crypto early adopter is to take advantage and become the new oligarchs.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Look, my imaginary coins are worth more than yours. Trust me.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

They want people investing money into the pyramid scheme they sit near the top of, not in the otherwise identical pyramid scheme other people sit near the top of.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Razorwired posted:

My son is also paid in Bortdollars.

Bortbux

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I haven't read this thread or the one in yospos for months. Is bitcoin still big money?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I haven't read this thread or the one in yospos for months. Is bitcoin still big money?

Butts are not money, big or otherwise.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Buttborx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but