Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Did they gently caress around with the AI this patch? It is absolutely loving retarded as an ally now. I've noticed my allies will sit there attacking a fort, and then as soon as it gets to 50%, they will just abandon the siege, leave the province, and then start again. It's absurdly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Having a claim is -25%?

Yes. It's why those events that give certain nations giant claims on a particular region is pretty nice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It doesn’t reduce the diplo annexation cost though, sadly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a permanent claim is -25%, a regular claim is -10%

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Doing a Great Yuan run as Mongolia and I think I've expanded about as far as I can as a tributary. How the hell do you beat Ming? They're stable and huge.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Beamed posted:

Everyone else is too small to take you on? That's great, you can wait to annex them.

They allied to too many strong powers? You have a couple options.

1.) Identify weak ally/ally without other allies they have, declare on them instead.

As a new player I actually stumbled across 1) last night. Playing Ottomans, badly judged a war and lost Athens to Venice, but declared war on some OPM Venice was allied to, dragged them into a better planned war, and got it right back. GET hosed VENICE.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alikchi posted:

Doing a Great Yuan run as Mongolia and I think I've expanded about as far as I can as a tributary. How the hell do you beat Ming? They're stable and huge.

What is stopping you from expanding more? I've seen people say that you wait for their Mandate to be low after passing a reform and then you fight them with lots of horses in plains provinces over and over again, but I've never done it myself.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lol the vassal integration act policy no longer does anything to help you integrate vassals. Used to grant you -20% cost on integration. Now it gives +0.5 yearly prestige and +100% vassal forcelimit contribution. Another lovely change to the list.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea Ming is hard to beat when they're still together. Even at low mandate and killing their troops 10 to 1 on the open plains they can and will still overwhelm you through sheer numbers.

On the plus side, they'll probably explode more often with the newest patch. This is the current state of China in my current game:

The Emperor is Korea.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pellisworth posted:

Sebastian Gorka, former Trump adviser, Hungarian Nazi, and complete buffoon.

He is a "terrorism expert" with very dubious academic credentials that insists you call him DOCTOR GORKA. He's associated with the fascist Vitezi Rend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Vit%C3%A9z and loves to be on TV. He was an adviser to the Trump administration who would just sit around the White House on his laptop doing fuckall because he couldn't get a security clearance. All he did was go on TV and be a clown, eventually they realized he was worthless and booted him.

Gorka is a meme in young American leftist circles because he's a ridiculous character and James Adomian does a really good impersonation of him.

edit: he's basically a real-life racist/nationalist Paradox forums rant about EVIL KEBAB NOBLE SERBIA HUNGARY SUPREEM ARE SACRED CLAY

Remember when covfefe was added to the random name generator for stars in Stellaris? This is as dumb as that

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm just minding my own business dealing with the Castillian Civil War thinking about attacking Portugal after it's over hoping my king dies in this siege etc... when I get a message about Ottomans getting the peasant war. Then I see this. No player help 100% AI.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think that's probably the swolest AI Byzantium I've seen that early in the game since they removed all their cores god knows how many patches ago. Do they have any big allies? My best guess is that the OE ran into serious problems with Albania, Byzantium wasn't allied to Albania, Albania forced OE to give Byz most of their cores back and then Byz jumped on OE with their own war and took some more territory.

Though if that happened I'd expect Albania to be bigger so I'm probably wrong.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 9, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alikchi posted:

Typically in Yuan runs, players eat Korea. There's a lot of development there that can get you over the threshold to trigger Ming's Unguarded Frontier disaster (though you also have to not be a tributary for this).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I think that's probably the swolest AI Byzantium I've seen since that early in the game since they removed all their cores god knows how many patches ago. Do they have any big allies? My best guess is that the OE ran into serious problems with Albania, Byzantium wasn't allied to Albania, Albania forced OE to give Byz most of their cores back and then Byz jumped on OE with their own war and took some more territory.

Though if that happened I'd expect Albania to be bigger so I'm probably wrong.

They were allied with Aragon who had the PU over Naples... then I got the Iberian wedding and Venice is killing Byzantium, again!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Alikchi posted:

You should be good to gently caress them over now. I’d say miss a few payments intentionally until they’re pissed at you, then make payments until they pass a law and drop mandate then never pay them again. They will revoke tributary status and will get ready to attack you but I think they get a truce for revoking. Then just wait for them to attack you, I usually chill out in Beijing to get some devastation going and gently caress them harder.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

We got a real Thunderdome going.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

This is an old problem for me, but: what do you do when you bottom out your country? I started as Ethiopia, crushed the nearby rebels, took some provinces off my neighbors, beat the ensuing rebellion, but now I'm massively in debt, short on manpower, and have no army. Obviously it's best not to be in that place, but do you ever hit a point where you kinda have to twiddle your thumbs for a decade or more due to a shortage of manpower and money, and how do you climb out of that?

explore all of your peacetime options to fully utilise your time of weakness to grow a stronger core state. this is my general rundown I do when I hit a wall. i don't know how long you have been playing but some of this might end up being useful for you. this is only really valuable when a whole state has high autonomy but good development, but is worth keeping in mind.

1) check out your average autonomy, if it is high in a specific area in your country which could be a nice area, turn on the edict that reduces it faster. make that conquered land worth something sooner.

2) identify trade goods worth developing (if you crushed neighbours, then Kaffa should have gold - develop that and decrease autonomy on it the risk is worth it) and work on making those provinces better and dev push the institution. it sounds like you are early game, so one thing worth considering is self seeding institutions, specifically the renaissance and colonialism, which will be hard to come to africa naturally. set aside a province to develop for each as they spawn (prime conditions are a decent-good tradegood, a province with either no or minor development penalties, around 5-15 dev already). taking tech at a 20+% cost penalty is not worth it when you could develop land up for about that cost across each of the three techs, sit one tech behind for a brief moment and then catch up, all while developing your core lands.

the institutional advantage will give you something to leverage over your enemies, who will take much longer to grow them, and you can sell knowledge to nations for a tidy sum which can help offset your debts. although it might seem like it is bearing a lot of risk early on, the technological edge it will give you 5-10 years on will be felt massively, especially when you are picking up those tactics and morale techs before your enemies. this advantage can offset what might end up being very disadvantageous wars for you early on, giving you the edge to take numbers significantly higher than what you expect to be able to face. for example, if the AIs around you spend long enough teching up and getting those institutions, then you can do something like i did last night, where i took a 4 province ghorka and fought every nation around me on level footing in 1-2 wars with minimum casualties despite 2-1 up to 4-1 odds.

3) deactivate unnecessary forts in peacetime and consider removing one or two in totally disadvantageous positions. they cost a lot of money for you, especially early on, and unless they control a key chokepoint or are utterly devious, then they might not be working to your advantage really.

4) this is a bit more micro than some people might like, but identify the specific strengths of each province you have and minmax their potential through estates. this is especially important in newly conquered and stated land, which will be sitting at 70-100% autonomy. estates instantly reduce the autonomy floor on their specific focused economic area to 0%, while adding a higher floor to the others, however, this higher floor doesn't mean much when you are already at 99% autonomy. as such, there is no loss in granting that 5 basetax province to the clergy now, as all you will do is gain as the basetax from that province is given to you in full each month, and the production and manpower you were not getting anyway. in some areas this could make an entire ducat worth of difference. just note that the production estate will not reduce the floor for gold provinces. everything else they will do so for, however. also you should be able to demand some money from an estate, which when the loyalty is high enough, should equate to as much as a single loan. use that to reduce your debt burden.

5) if you grew exponentially from the start of your warring to where you are now, and are making a much larger income (but still negative), then reconsolidate your finances. the best example of this I have is a peaceful Japanese integration run I did a while back. i was intentionally running a deficit for a long time to keep a liberty desire reducing army raised, and when i fully integrated the daimyo I had something like 25 loans. however, as I now had a much higher base income due to no longer being about 3-5 provinces, I could take out much larger loans. so, I took out new loans and used those to pay off the much smaller loans. i went from having 25 loans to just 5 through doing this.

I also did this as Afghanistan just two days ago and halved the amount of loans I had. while equating to the same amount of debt, you now have more economic flexibility as you are further from the loan limit, and if you know your debt will take an extremely long time to pay off, then it also gives you longer before inflation could become an issue. this is more useful for explosive growth, like from reclaiming a ton of cores, but even after the previous step of minmaxing, it can make a sizeable difference and give you some breathing room. early on it can be very useful to look at the amount of money a single loan is worth, and checking in on it after war to see how it has changed.

6) if rebellion is your issue in conquest, then identify provinces in neighbouring nations with cores for nations which are not on the map, conquer those and release a vassal from it. although not direct income or manpower, it reduces the risk for rebellion and produces a more stable nation, while also offsetting monarch point costs from the much more valuable in the early game admin points to the far less consequential diplomatic points. depending on the intent of your run, this balance may change later in the game, however, admin is the most pressed monarch point early on, as it is vital for a) coring to get stronger and reduce existential threat, b) taking technology to get you your ideas and thus your NIs to stack modifiers, and c) developing up land. offsetting some of that cost to admin points can keep you moving forwards further and faster.

7) fight more passively and more defensively. let your enemy come into your lands, sit on your forts, and turn on the defensive edict. this will make their sieging take muuuuch longer, while you can siege down some of their land much faster, and then swoop back in to fight them on the fort in a battle with advantageous terrain bonuses. often times, it is not worth actually engaging in a fight if you know you can make your enemy eat attrition for an extended period of time and reduce their economic ability to wage war, especially in largely highland or mountainous terrain like Ethiopia. this is what enables you to punch far above your weight.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 9, 2018

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Looks like the estates advisors are bugged, they cost the exact same as the randomly generated advisors no matter what influence or loyalty I have with them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's kind of ridiculous how many permanent claims you get from missions as Hindustan.

Not pictured: all of Persia, Burma, and Indochina too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm glad I got around to playing Manchu and smashing the gently caress out of Ming early. Growth isn't going to a problem for a loooong while.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
minor qol change housekeeping request for groogy: please add a 'all provinces' button to the new autonomous rebel suppression

its a really good feature which was long needed imo but clicking each state individually multiple times can be a bit annoying. a small 'stand on all the necks' button would go a long way in reducing what turns into a chore.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It's kind of ridiculous how many permanent claims you get from missions as Hindustan.

It's nice since it's basically a "OK you won, time to go HAM" button.

If you finish all their missions you can just quit the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Godsdamnit! I started as Orissa and the first thing I did was fix the economy by deleting all those pointless cogs and then I noticed that almost THE ONLY loving MISSION THEY HAVE IN THE BEGINNING requires 80% navel force limit. First mistake was unusually early this time for me. But at least I didn't lose any progress when restarting.

Hopefully I won't lose this war against Bengal which is off to an amazing start. They had their army split and I somehow lucked into stack wiping the first and the second ran all down the Indian coast to occupy my butt but I chased them and they decided their best course of action was to run back north through my vassal swarms lands which is mostly jungle forts (hello -2 penalty rolls) just to guarantee they would get stack wiped too. Morons. If they had fought they would have caused me more losses and would easily have made it back into their lands to reinforce and attack again.

Is there a map mode to see claims and cores outside your territory? Nevermind, it's diplomatic. :downs:

edit
Um, the Vaihyas estate is at 40% loyalty and 47% influence but gives me +24.7% production efficiency? That can't be right, can it?

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 9, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It had been so long since I played this game that I had completely forgotten about developing your vassals land to reduce liberty desire.

I started a Timurids game and since the Shah died like a year before I could integrate, everybody was pretty unhappy. I was spinning my wheels for a year or two trying to figure out how to get Transoxania down below 50% from the 65% or so they were at, because once they were gone the rest of the vassals would have 0 liberty desire.

Then I remembered, oh yeah developing still lowers liberty desire by an absurd amount.

So now I just have Afghanistan left of the original vassals and I'm gearing up to take on India.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Poil posted:

Godsdamnit! I started as Orissa and the first thing I did was fix the economy by deleting all those pointless cogs and then I noticed that almost THE ONLY loving MISSION THEY HAVE IN THE BEGINNING requires 80% navel force limit. First mistake was unusually early this time for me. But at least I didn't lose any progress when restarting.

Hopefully I won't lose this war against Bengal which is off to an amazing start. They had their army split and I somehow lucked into stack wiping the first and the second ran all down the Indian coast to occupy my butt but I chased them and they decided their best course of action was to run back north through my vassal swarms lands which is mostly jungle forts (hello -2 penalty rolls) just to guarantee they would get stack wiped too. Morons. If they had fought they would have caused me more losses and would easily have made it back into their lands to

I very nearly hosed up but saw that mission just after selling my cogs. I would never delete ships early btw, you can usually find a small neutral nation that will buy them off you. Also, had a similar experience with bengal in my Orissa game. Except that bengal had a peasant war at like 1460. It was kind op tbh. I just walked over and took poo poo and Bengal had like 4K to fight me and my vassals with.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Man, Malwa is goddamn rediculous. My army is 50% Rajputs, I'm perpetually over 90% army tradition, and I just did a 3-on-1 against the 3 major Muslim powers in India. They're not major powers any more :smug:

It's pretty crazy that I only own maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of India but I'm already a GP

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I very nearly hosed up but saw that mission just after selling my cogs. I would never delete ships early btw, you can usually find a small neutral nation that will buy them off you. Also, had a similar experience with bengal in my Orissa game. Except that bengal had a peasant war at like 1460. It was kind op tbh. I just walked over and took poo poo and Bengal had like 4K to fight me and my vassals with.

If you want to be really cunning you can mothball the ships first and suck out all of the sailors, then sell them afterwards. I'm usually too lazy to do this though.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 9, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but after playing a bit of Dharma in India I have a few questions. Is there a reason that the advisers from Indian estates aren't half price? Additionally is the achievement for finishing all Mewarian missions supposed to turn off if you form Rajputana even though Rajputana shares missions with Mewar?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Rajputana doesn't turn it off I believe, I think it just makes it now show up which is wrong.
Also the estate advisors got rebalanced so their discount is based on the influence of the estate

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I didn't play out all the missions so I might have done it wrong but when I swapped tags to Rajputana the achievement dropped from the in-game list of obtainables.
Advisor changes make sense due to how much more versatile estates feel now.

After having played a few games I have to say that Dharma is pretty drat great, easily the best I've played through the launch of (I started as Cradle of Civilization).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love late game wars.

I've slaughtered nearly a million Ottomen...

...and they still refuse to even sign a white peace.

They're also friendly towards me for some reason :shrug:

e: just hit the 1 million mark, and still there can be no peace with our sworn friends.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 9, 2018

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fister Roboto posted:

Mughals get that *and* more, in addition to rocking a 40% coring discount from their NI, Iqta and owning all the Hindustani culture provinces. I picked influence and regretted it once the coring train got a going. Integrating vassals is so much worse than coring it yourself when you rock oodles of -years of separatism and 90% reduced coring cost before admin efficiency. That they removed sources of discounts on integration costs beyond influence doesn't help. There's a 15% random event that influence gets you, but it's not something you can rely on. Late game Mughals is the most fun I've had steamrolling the world since Hordes were nerfed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I love late game wars.

I've slaughtered nearly a million Ottomen...

...and they still refuse to even sign a white peace.

They're also friendly towards me for some reason :shrug:

e: just hit the 1 million mark, and still there can be no peace with our sworn friends.
:gonk:

Only occupying forts and capitals count. You could be killing endless swarms of magicked up mercs until the game ends.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wouldn't war enthusiasm dropping low enough from war exhaustion and length of war eventually have Ottomans sign a white peace, even if you take no territory?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah if you're not occupying their stuff you have to just wait until their war enthusiasm drops from length of war to peace them out. Expect it to take at least 5 years.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Mughals get that *and* more, in addition to rocking a 40% coring discount from their NI, Iqta and owning all the Hindustani culture provinces. I picked influence and regretted it once the coring train got a going. Integrating vassals is so much worse than coring it yourself when you rock oodles of -years of separatism and 90% reduced coring cost before admin efficiency. That they removed sources of discounts on integration costs beyond influence doesn't help. There's a 15% random event that influence gets you, but it's not something you can rely on. Late game Mughals is the most fun I've had steamrolling the world since Hordes were nerfed.

Yeah it's weird how it's actually much easier to stack CCR than integration cost reduction. I feel like the game would be a lot more fun if neither of these existed and instead you got smaller administrative efficiency boosts. Then nerf absolutism a bit to make it so you can't get a really stupid amount of AE in the late game.

Basically both vassals and direct coring should be a thing you want to do and making one of those options cost literally 25% as much as the other is bad because it makes you want to direct core everything forever.

E:

One of these days I'm going to make a really basic "rebalance some poo poo" mod for this game because there's so many areas where the game falls down not conceptually but just where the numbers involved tend to skew strategies really hard one way or the other and it makes things boring unless you intentionally play suboptimally.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 9, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Waging war in the 1700s is one of the most tedious things I've ever experienced in a video game. It's like trying to exterminate an ant colony by crushing each ant individually. My enemies can split their armies into a thousand completely autonomous, perfectly coordinated units, and they can make new ones almost instantly in any province they control. There seriously needs to be some sort of automation option for the player's armies, or an extreme limit on countries' force projection. Preferably both.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's an easy way to complete the center mission for Vijayanagar? You're supposed to have no Tamil provinces with more than 0 unrest and over 50% authonomy. Feed them all to a vassal?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

canepazzo posted:

What's an easy way to complete the center mission for Vijayanagar? You're supposed to have no Tamil provinces with more than 0 unrest and over 50% authonomy. Feed them all to a vassal?

You only need to decrease autonomy in...two provinces? The rest start at 50%, so a month tick will clear it, then increase stab and get a theologian so the unrest from decreasing autonomy doesn't take it above 0.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Ottomans declared war on me to try to reconquer the land I took from them previously.

I've sent well over a million men to their graves.

Their war enthusiasm is high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, I declared war on Britain a single 20 development province in Burma. It's only worth 3 warscore.

Over half a million men died for this province before they conceded.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 9, 2018