Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Startline pileup in IMSA - someone spun the 5, 911, 66 heavily damaged

The 99 spun the 5 by the looks of things. I almost forgot this was on, nice of them to cause a delay so I could join at the replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Deja Vu :downs:

e: oh the 14 spun itself to start all that

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
well, while we're in an extended lull, good news about/from Sheena Monk:

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1038862223597174784

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Positive news from the driver herself, that's a good sign.

So we've been running for 25 minutes and havent had a corner of green flag racing yet

e: JFC its a literal tard fest now, the 2 is fighting with the 99 under yellow and knocked off some bodywork

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Wtf is Sharp anyone doing?

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 9, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
lol @ the 54 just waiting at the pit entrance.

Was there a toxic gas release at Laguna Seca or something? What a start :allears:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
55 just threw a win straight in the bin

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
How is it possible to keep throwing away race after race after race like this?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I will never see a Mazda prototype win in my lifetime

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1991 wasn't enough for you?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I did not see Le Mans 1991 live because I had yet to become interested in sportscar racing then

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not auto racing, but jesus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an oddly awful oud posted:

I will never see a Mazda prototype win in my lifetime

I'm sure people said the same about Toyota.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

iospace posted:

Toyota did win though, just not at LeMans. In fact they won so much that they basically ended IMSA GTP.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

iospace posted:

Toyota at Le Mans is similar but at least they won a lot otherwise, even in the WEC.

This week was especially infuriating because there's no real finger to point. Tincknell should've known better than to attempt such an aggressive pass against a lesser driver like Yacaman with such a huge time cushion, but the guy was flying out there. He's looked like a stud pretty much the entire year when he's actually had the chance to drive the car without it breaking or missing the race to drive in the WEC. I can't blame the guy for racing his heart out even if he made a rookie mistake. It just sucks extra hard because the odds of them winning at PLM next month are even worse than usual without Tincknell, and then the season's over. And next season's going to be even tougher than this one.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Toyota Gazoo maybe, Toyota has won their class at Le Mans before coming 2nd overall; they arguably would have won but tyre blowouts are a bitch.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Toyota should have won like 5 times.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Don Panoz has passed away.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/09/11/don-panoz-1935-2018.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A lot of people in the industry don't have nice things to say about the guy, but he did fund some friggen weird/awesome cars over the years with that nicotine patch money.

https://racer.com/gallery/gallery-significant-panoz-race-cars/

i mean cmon

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Cygni posted:

i mean cmon

God I thought the GTR-1 was cool as poo poo back in the day.

Just ignore the LMP07 though.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

gently caress the haters. Anyone that has the balls to do something batshit crazy deserves to be celebrated, like the batshit crazy innovators of old.

RIP Don Panoz. (Dan Gurney, too :( )

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gently caress don panoz i hope he burns in poo poo in the afterlife

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I eh, don't know enough about him to have a strong opinion, but I liked the DP-01

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The man created the American Le Mans series, if it werent for him road racing in the US would be vastly different, the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basticle posted:

The man created the American Le Mans series, if it werent for him road racing in the US would be vastly different, the gently caress is wrong with you people.

too many people judge ALMS based on the final awful years and don't remember how loving derelict sports car racing was in the wake of Camel GT's collapse before

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

too many people judge ALMS based on the final awful years and don't remember how loving derelict sports car racing was in the wake of Camel GT's collapse before

Yeah Camel GT collapsed so hard and WSC was such a wet fart that everyone was pretty much convinced that sports car racing was dead. Don Panoz was a pretty cool dude in my book, merely because he bought and rebuilt my local track of Road Atlanta from a decrepit run down shithole into a world class track. Sure it's not the biggest track out there but it's a hell of a lot better than it was and is a drat good track to run at.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 12, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I literally do not remember what happened between the years 1999-2003 in American Sports Car racing. I think I forgot that it existed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I literally do not remember what happened between the years 1999-2003 in American Sports Car racing. I think I forgot that it existed.

Audi stomping all over with Panoz roadsters giving chase (and Cadillac LMPs breaking).

Panoz really re-invigorated what was IMSA sports car racing in the US, and the “For The Fans” mindset still survives in how open and friendly the paddock remains.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The American Le Mans Series was a great series. Imagine that, a US sportscar organization adopting the ACO/Le Mans rulebook and keeping consistency between classes so European teams could race at tracks like Sebring or Road Atlanta and US teams could get invites to the Le Mans 24 without having to worry about different specs.

No wonder it failed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ALMS is much better in memory than it was on track. This was a series that had 1 car classes multiple times, and where factory backed Audi's won the championship nine years in a row, until they got bored and left. It was a series that had season sweeps in its classes drat near every year. It def had some good years and good races, but we can be real about it now that its gone.

ALMS, like ChampCar, is mostly praised for what it wasn't. It was a protest vote for fans. And just like ChampCar, it lost and died and the world is better now for that death. Also like ChampCar and IRL, the current series more closely resembles it than Grand Am, so maybe its fans won in the end.

Thats my ALMS take thank u.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

did ALMS have a crapwagon equivalent?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fauxhawk Express posted:

you're in it pal

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxhawk Express posted:

yeah! i want to say they closed at the merger and posted something like "please support the new series" and CW lost their poo poo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Fauxhawk Express posted:

In the literal sense, yes.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Crapwagon is extremely strange because, to this day, I'm not really sure what exactly they wanted. Indycar has basically been CART II since the dawn of the DW12 era.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Frond posted:

Crapwagon is extremely strange because, to this day, I'm not really sure what exactly they wanted. Indycar has basically been CART II since the dawn of the DW12 era.

I think they want what CART could have been had it not collapsed, the world's premier form of open wheel motorsport. At the trajectory it was going in the early 90s there might have been a chance of it reaching or even suprassing Formula 1 levels of global prominence, with The 500 becoming the loving race in the world. Mansell jumping ship from F1 to CART could have been the start of that, but a few years later we got the beginning of the end instead.

Indycar today is definitely in a fantastic place, even back to courting F1 world champions. But it will never, ever, be in a position that it was in the CART heyday, let alone to the place those bitter old crapwagon fools believe it should have been.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Even if the split doesn't happen, I'm pretty sure the loss of tobacco sponsorship and the economy crashing would've done a huge number on CART.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Even if the split doesn't happen, I'm pretty sure the loss of tobacco sponsorship and the economy crashing would've done a huge number on CART.

Sure. The point about CW holds, though. They probably lament over never getting the fantastical/ideal U.S. open wheel series that they've convinced themselves would have happened if it weren't for that mean old Tony George!!!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Moorespeed, a long-time stalwart of the 911 GT3 Cup USA, is jumping up to GTD Sprint Cup, with Will Hardeman and a 2019-spec 911 GT3-R :toot:

Also on the most up to date private testing sheet, Land Audi will be testing at Road Atlanta (previous rumors were that they were not coming back after Watkins), and there's a line that indicates Kat Legge and Trent Hindman will be testing a Prototype of some sort for Meyer Shank Racing at Road Atlanta in the coming weeks :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

yeah the PC class