Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh yeah, it's an easy conversion. I just hate it when the rules state that someone is a special character and I have to use those rules for my own Original Idea Do Not Steal character. It's actually the main reason I couldn't get into Warmachine, as dumb as that probably sounds.
I've always just went "this is my own character, counts as Straken" and that works for me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh yeah, it's an easy conversion. I just hate it when the rules state that someone is a special character and I have to use those rules for my own Original Idea Do Not Steal character. It's actually the main reason I couldn't get into Warmachine, as dumb as that probably sounds.

I totally get you. Warmachine not allowing for 'your dudes' is the huge reason why the game didnt click for me.

Speaking of my dudes, I retook photos of my tacticals using my updated lighting setup as part of my 20 years in the hobby project that I'm writing up.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Killer_Bees! posted:

I got stuck inside this weekend and smashed out some box bros for a 30k event next weekend and will also be flogging them in my 40k fists in the future too as chaplain dreads are actually decent hiding behind all your troops.

The safety factor meta grows.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It might be fun but I really wish they had made it more generic so people could make up their own Rogue Traders.

Same, but I think if they'd gone that route and locked the rules behind an £80 boxset nerds would be more rage filled than usual. I'm holding out for a more general Imperial agencies ruleset at some point that'll have all the smaller factions in it (Rogue Traders/Inq. Warbands/Sisters of Silence/Arbites?/Assassins etc..)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The PL of the rogue trader guys is wonky. She's PL4 but actually costs 46.

They have some pretty cool stuff. The admech guy gives them all a 5++, you deploy the whole detachment as one drop and can spend 1 cp to deep strike everyone. With a 1cp strat the death cult lady is doing 4 S4 ap-2 d3 damage attacks rerolling misses and has a 2+ poisoned pistol.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 9, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm torn between starting Tyranids or just holding out a month and a half for Orks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

I'm torn between starting Tyranids or just holding out a month and a half for Orks.

Tyranid Kill Team now, Ork Army later

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Ork Kill-Team now, Ork Army later

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

They’re both horde options, which do you prefer, strong melee with accurate shooting or strong melee with dump trucks of dice-worth if inaccurate shooting?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm just about to spend a Sunday afternoon assembling my Kill Team starter set, my first models after a hiatus of about a decade. Any tips on loadouts/configurations for the two Mechanics and GSG teams? From what I've read the GSG is inherently worth less points than the Mechanicus, so I need a more experienced to help me make sure the two sides are, in order of priority: 1) balanced against each other 2) varied enough to let my friends play them different ways 3) able to hit the 100 point requirement for competitive. If I can get 1) and 2) out of both sides the starter can fulfill it's main goal of introducing my friends to miniature gaming, and if I get at least one of the sides to fulfill 3) I'll have something I could take to the FLGS.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Go both. Make an army of Octavius system Tyranids that have been eating ork biomass so long that everything looks and acts like an ork now. Orks with rending claws for genestealers, swarms of spiny grots for rippers, Hive Tyrants with power klaws and shootas, Stompas covered in muscle and chitin.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Chiwie posted:

I totally get you. Warmachine not allowing for 'your dudes' is the huge reason why the game didnt click for me.

Speaking of my dudes, I retook photos of my tacticals using my updated lighting setup as part of my 20 years in the hobby project that I'm writing up.

Are these resin? I am on the edge of suggesting to thin your paints, but part of me thinks it’s the plastic itself.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For the Kill Team starter box, am I crazy or does Mechanicus total ~100 points while GSC doesn't get much above 50?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love more wacky Imperial agents, so I don't really care the RT characters aren't great.

Though is RT a one and done box? The way its being talked about in a few places make it sound like once its sold, its gone.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Chiwie posted:

Your Sergeant is the bees knees :downsrim:

Re Warmachine, same. I didn't like that you were forced to use a named character and couldn't make your own customised one. Tho tbh GW is going that way with new characters not having any wargear options for the most part.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Jack B Nimble posted:

For the Kill Team starter box, am I crazy or does Mechanicus total ~100 points while GSC doesn't get much above 50?

Mechanicus hits 100 with 9 dudes

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
List criticism time:

Death Guard List - Kill Team

Plague Champion (Leader) – Plague Sword, Plasma Gun – 18

Plague Gunner (Demolitionist) – Plague Spewer – 19
Plague Gunner – Blight Launcher – 18
Plague Fighter (Combat) – Flail of Corruption – 19
Plague Fighter (Zealot) – Flail of Corruption – 19
Poxwalker – 3
Poxwalker – 3

99 total

Need to convert up a second flail. Do I sacrifice a poxwalker to give the champion a fist?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jack B Nimble posted:

GSC is 75ish with all the weapons. Hit 100 with 2 or 3 purestrains.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

One of the two NOVA-inspired additions, I completed my Slamkhan. Although not as crazy as Slamguinius, he still packs quite a punch when running with a Lieutenant and the WS warlord trait.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how for so long I thought White Scars were kinda lame, but really they are some big time win. Those Forgeworld bikes (now $81 for 3 :() look so dang good, jump pack is also cool

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

OhDearGodNo posted:

One of the two NOVA-inspired additions, I completed my Slamkhan. Although not as crazy as Slamguinius, he still packs quite a punch when running with a Lieutenant and the WS warlord trait.

This is amazing

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

Is anyone having success with either kind of armiger? I'm building a primaris infantry army and I was thinking about allying some in to help bust tanks; also they don't clash with my ~aesthetic~ like regular knights/guard do

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Warglaives are fun but not very good. Helverins are incredible. They're great at killing T7/3+ armor models, good against flyers, and stuff whose wounds are multiples of 3 have a bad time usually. My helverins hosed down a good chunk of a custodes list because of the 3 damage shots.

They're not going to be great at fighting the current knight meta but they still do decent damage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OhDearGodNo posted:

What's the shield made of? And drat the Heresy armors are gorgeous. I kit bashed a second plastic sternguard unit using the remains of the boxes from the first squad and a box of mkIV. They look good, and i really should paint them up.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

EAThief posted:

Is anyone having success with either kind of armiger? I'm building a primaris infantry army and I was thinking about allying some in to help bust tanks; also they don't clash with my ~aesthetic~ like regular knights/guard do

Both of the Armigers are solid. They’re not exactly the best anti-tank, though the Warglaive can get some work done with its melta and melee if it can close the range. Helverins are fantastic damage against elite units but since most tanks are T7-8, most of its shots will bounce. I’d play around with a mix for balance, but it’s up to your playstyle.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Armigers work fantastic with a Preceptor.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Armigers work fantastic with a Preceptor.

How's that going for you?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

What's the shield made of? And drat the Heresy armors are gorgeous. I kit bashed a second plastic sternguard unit using the remains of the boxes from the first squad and a box of mkIV. They look good, and i really should paint them up.

I have to admit only the helm is mk III, here’s the components:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
About to jump the pond to bring freedom to London. Get ready to get #rekt Corrode and One_Wang

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have to admit only the helm is mk III, here’s the components:

I’m impressed that you managed to get that shield out of the front plate and keep it looking that good

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I need some Ork vs Blood Angels advice.
Most of my recent campaign games (and foreseeable future games) have been against two blood angel players. I run a green tide but they've compared notes and have been absolutely packing my green poo poo in with lists built around: 2-3 death company squads; Lemartes; a flying librarian dreadnought; the fastest Baal Predator in existence, land speeders and sniper scouts. Their strategy involves using a combination of stratagems and psychic powers for a guaranteed double death company turn 1 multi-assault. Most of my boys turn to mist, anything that's left is shot to ribbons and I'm usually mopped up and tabled turn 2.

My typical lists consist of 100 boys, 30-60 stormboyz, 2-3 squads of grots and the obligatory warboss, meks, and weirdboys. I've tried to use grots as anti charge bubble wrap but they aren't effective against a unit (death company) that can easily fly over them with insane movement, 1cp teleportation stratagems, 3d6 re-roll-able charges etc. When I have been able to counter charge my remaining boys have already been crippled by assault cannons, heavy flamers, missiles, snipers etc. and cant get enough dice into the fight to do much. All I can think to do is have a double or even triple wall of grots screening 150 boys in a corner. It's a very frustrating match-up. Anyone got experience dealing with this kind of combo?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I’m impressed that you managed to get that shield out of the front plate and keep it looking that good

It really sucked- and also how I cut my thumb. I clipped around, then used a knife to get it really close to the edge, followed by sawing it half as thick. After that I sanded it down and spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to attach it to an arm.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So is Kill Team worth getting into? I have some Imperial Guard units from back in the day and I don't want to get into regular 40K so Kill Team seems like a good middle ground, but I have no idea what else should I buy to start playing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

radlum posted:

So is Kill Team worth getting into? I have some Imperial Guard units from back in the day and I don't want to get into regular 40K so Kill Team seems like a good middle ground, but I have no idea what else should I buy to start playing.

I find it an excellent way to get the 8th ed experience in a smaller game. The rules are near identical save a few change ups.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If you already have some IG stuff, then congratulations! You’ve officially Gotten Into Kill Team. You only need a handful of models, the rules are readily available, you don’t actually have to use any of the official counters/tokens/chits, they’re mostly for keeping track of actions. The most expensive purchase you’ll need to make is a pair of D10 dice, other than that about 6 D6’s and a measuring tape are the basics.

*edit* You might need to find the IG specific tactical cards on eBay or in a pdf somewhere.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

How's that going for you?

I love it. Especially with Warglaives and the Helm that gives nearby Armigers +1 to hit. Combine with the House Raven ability and you have a fast, hard hitting force that can easily get in range and nuke nearly anything.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

krursk posted:

I need some Ork vs Blood Angels advice.
Most of my recent campaign games (and foreseeable future games) have been against two blood angel players. I run a green tide but they've compared notes and have been absolutely packing my green poo poo in with lists built around: 2-3 death company squads; Lemartes; a flying librarian dreadnought; the fastest Baal Predator in existence, land speeders and sniper scouts. Their strategy involves using a combination of stratagems and psychic powers for a guaranteed double death company turn 1 multi-assault. Most of my boys turn to mist, anything that's left is shot to ribbons and I'm usually mopped up and tabled turn 2.

My typical lists consist of 100 boys, 30-60 stormboyz, 2-3 squads of grots and the obligatory warboss, meks, and weirdboys. I've tried to use grots as anti charge bubble wrap but they aren't effective against a unit (death company) that can easily fly over them with insane movement, 1cp teleportation stratagems, 3d6 re-roll-able charges etc. When I have been able to counter charge my remaining boys have already been crippled by assault cannons, heavy flamers, missiles, snipers etc. and cant get enough dice into the fight to do much. All I can think to do is have a double or even triple wall of grots screening 150 boys in a corner. It's a very frustrating match-up. Anyone got experience dealing with this kind of combo?

Pack it in and call in sick until October? :shrug:

Alternatively, maybe invest in a Battlewagon or three? Rolling out of the transports should give you first charge. Maybe try some Nobz in transports, so that the strength of the hits is maximized in a smaller force?

Honestly though, you may not have the tools to deal with that list until your Codex pops.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PierreTheMime posted:

They’re both horde options, which do you prefer, strong melee with accurate shooting or strong melee with dump trucks of dice-worth if inaccurate shooting?

Either sounds fine, really. I won't ask about Orks because nobody knows yet, but as a solid question how do Tyranids deal with armor on the whole? Venom Cannons? Mawlocs popping out of the ground to say 'surprise?'

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

Either sounds fine, really. I won't ask about Orks because nobody knows yet, but as a solid question how do Tyranids deal with armor on the whole? Venom Cannons? Mawlocs popping out of the ground to say 'surprise?'

Hive Guard, Exocrines, and HVCs, mostly. You occasionally will get a few surprise MRC swipes in for 3-4 damage a pop which is nice but you can’t rely on it.

In my recent games I cleared three Leman Russes in three turns with a unit of Hive Guard, an Exocrine that had to keep moving (:argh:), and a few Harpy potshots. In another my Exocrine did 15 wounds to a Alaitoc Hemlock that decided to get cocky :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
The most effective Nid antitank is probably Hive Guard double-shooting Impalers or Shockcannons depending on Hive Fleet. After that it’s mostly poking them with claws in melee or big expensive monster artillery. If it’s melee or otherwise close range vehicles then psychic powers and mortal wound nonsense help too.