Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
chesterton rules. canonize chesterton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

If democracy has disappointed you, do not think of it
as a burst bubble, but at least as a broken heart, an old
love affair. Do not sneer at the time when the creed of
humanity was on its honeymoon; treat it with the
dreadful reverence that is due to youth. For you, per-
haps, a drearier philosophy has covered and eclipsed the
earth. The fierce poet of the Middle Ages wrote, “Aban-
don hope all ye who enter here,” over the gales of the
lower world. The emancipated poets of today have
written it over the gates of this world. But if we are to
understand the story which follows, we must erase that
apocalyptic writing, if only for an hour. We must re-
create the faith of our fathers, if only as an artistic at-
mosphere. If, then, you are a pessimist, in reading this
story, forego for a little the pleasures of pessimism.
Dream for one mad moment that the grass is green.
Unlearn that sinister learning that, you think so clear;
deny that deadly knowledge that you think you know.
Surrender the very flower of your culture; give up the
very jewel of your pride; abandon hopelessness, all ye
who enter here.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 9, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i read child of god and it wasn't very good. McCarthy is an uneven man

quote:

im permajailed redneck corpsefucker58. i first started sexually harassing women when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "necrophilia" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "crack open a cold one" and "i love to kill women and wear their underwear" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now dying of pneumonia. i always wondered what the kind of "depraved" style of being a cormac mccarthy character was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "have sex with" corpses to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
child of god is a decent page turner and doesn’t aspire to be much else

only book of McCarthy’s I couldn’t stomach was Suttree

I still finished it but it was just page after page of tedious meandering word games

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
A translation of Crime and Punishment by Oliver Ready is on sale for two bucks. Can anyone tell me if it's a good version?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's the best version.

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
mccarthy really isn’t that great. blood meridian is excellent and far and away his best. border trilogy is a boring slog. the road is terrible, evidenced by the fact that it won the pulitzer.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostos posted:

mccarthy really isn’t that great. blood meridian is excellent and far and away his best. border trilogy is a boring slog. the road is terrible, evidenced by the fact that it won the pulitzer.

Oh, indeed?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i liked the road, but tbf i read it before i knew it won a pulitzer

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I remember liking the road but that was back when I also liked vampire novels so who knows

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
man, I am getting to the point where the tropes of New York MFA fiction is so obvious that its ruining my ability to even read the novel.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

At least they're all very good at Showing that they inherited their wealth and go to parties with the right people instead of Telling the reader about it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like, I am reading a book about people from my generation in my area of the country where I grew up and none of these characters are even slightly recognizable and are all just generic "interesting people" from every other novel of the same type

Hillbillies in the Appalachian mountains didn't loving read philosophy between football games and we didn't all become world-weary vagabonds with deep thoughts

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I am reading a book about people from my generation in my area of the country where I grew up and none of these characters are even slightly recognizable and are all just generic "interesting people" from every other novel of the same type

Hillbillies in the Appalachian mountains didn't loving read philosophy between football games and we didn't all become world-weary vagabonds with deep thoughts

Drop that modern trash and join me reading Chesterton waxing lyrical about Dickens

It's so full of the most gloriously written unsupported assumptions

Dickens on America:

" I do fear that the heaviest blow ever dealt at liberty will be dealt by America, in the failure of its example on this Earth"

Chesterton on Dickens:

" We are still waiting to see if that prediction has been fulfilled; but nobody can say that it has been falsified"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

man, I am getting to the point where the tropes of New York MFA fiction is so obvious that its ruining my ability to even read the novel.

i said this like two years ago and everyone made fun of me. congrats on finally being redpilled

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gene Wolfe will welcome you back without a grudge.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See, I thought you were going to go more in the direction of the times I pick up a Paris Review or whatever to stay on top of what's getting published now, and have to suffer through yet another set of rich New York-region suburbanites doing drugs and whining about their families. I'd kill to read a philosophical hillbilly after that poo poo.

Working slowly through last year's "Best American Short Stories" for the same reason, except about 1/3 of those are actually good.

EDIT - I also didn't bother going back through your post history to find out what you're reading.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

I remember liking the road but that was back when I also liked vampire novels so who knows

Oh, last week?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You guys wouldn't have these problems if you just stopped reading contemporary american books.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

You guys wouldn't have these problems if you just stopped reading contemporary [...] books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

After The War posted:

See, I thought you were going to go more in the direction of the times I pick up a Paris Review or whatever to stay on top of what's getting published now, and have to suffer through yet another set of rich New York-region suburbanites doing drugs and whining about their families. I'd kill to read a philosophical hillbilly after that poo poo.

Yeah I hate those too but by this point you can at least identify them by the synopsis.

This was sneakier.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Space Admiral Comet Blastoff gazed wearily over the combat monitors as he readied the last of his laser barrage. The battle against the Star Kingdom wasn't going according to plan. What's more, he had begun to feel that perhaps he should not have gone to grad school, and that his recent unsatisfying sexual encounters were indicative of the anhedonia that comes from a loss of purpose. In the distance, a dog barked.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Early Work?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tree Goat posted:

Space Admiral Comet Blastoff gazed wearily over the combat monitors as he readied the last of his laser barrage. The battle against the Star Kingdom wasn't going according to plan. What's more, he had begun to feel that perhaps he should not have gone to grad school, and that his recent unsatisfying sexual encounters were indicative of the anhedonia that comes from a loss of purpose. In the distance, a dog barked.

lmao

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

Early Work?

Ohio

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tree Goat posted:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Based on my experience in Portsmouth, you're correct.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

weren't you just trying to get hieronymous to make that the BotM

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Tree Goat posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

weren't you just trying to get hieronymous to make that the BotM

Because he kept asking for one and it was sitting on my desk

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I think a few months ago everyone was sharing great book covers and I don't think I saw this one, which I saw for the first time today and holy poo poo its perfect and i love it. want to buy this if i ever find it anywhere

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What the hell is that laudatory quote supposed to mean? That's like calling In Dubious Battle "in the tradition of The Grapes of Wrath".

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe because both characters are unreliable narrators, and also overconfident, incompetent, pretentious amoral twats

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I guess, but to say that Despair is "in the tradition of Lolita" is a ridiculous way to frame that. For one, it was written first, and for another, it's an overt, specific parody of Dostoyevsky more than it is anything resembling Lolita. The quote is just marketing gibberish that somebody put on the cover because Lolita is Nabokov's most well-known book.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 14, 2018

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Good points. Maybe I saw the connection because they were my first 3 nabokovs, but I found that Lolita, pale fire and despair all had that in common: the narrator being a complete moron presenting himself as a genius

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That is an extremely dope cover, though.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

derp posted:

Good points. Maybe I saw the connection because they were my first 3 nabokovs, but I found that Lolita, pale fire and despair all had that in common: the narrator being a complete moron presenting himself as a genius

I also believe Bend Sinister to be about a complete moron who everyone thinks is a genius for some reason

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have decided to rank the best covers in publishing houses' classics range.

1. NYRB classics -- good shelf presence, tasteful use of colour, always an apposite and tasteful accompanying picture (without straying into cliche), also a good range full stop, I always consider new ones I see in bookshops. Just overall good
2. Old penguin classics -- Gimme that old rear end look
3. Everyman library – Being hardback is sort of cheating, but these are cool
4. Reclam Verlag -- Lots of respect for a solid-block of colour, got to cherish minimal covers esp in this f*cked-up world!! They also feel good in the hand.
5. New penguin classics -- Spine looks bad when cracked but otherwise usually good with the whole painting choice, though the ones done by normal illustrators sometimes look like rear end
6. Oxford World's Classics -- Inferior penguin classics, font choice on newer editions is questionable
7. Wordsworth's Classics – shat out trash. cursed art from hell. no way José. look at this loving poo poo

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

NYRB is my drug of choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

J_RBG posted:

I have decided to rank the best covers in publishing houses' classics range.

1. NYRB classics -- good shelf presence, tasteful use of colour, always an apposite and tasteful accompanying picture (without straying into cliche), also a good range full stop, I always consider new ones I see in bookshops. Just overall good
2. Old penguin classics -- Gimme that old rear end look
3. Everyman library – Being hardback is sort of cheating, but these are cool
4. Reclam Verlag -- Lots of respect for a solid-block of colour, got to cherish minimal covers esp in this f*cked-up world!! They also feel good in the hand.
5. New penguin classics -- Spine looks bad when cracked but otherwise usually good with the whole painting choice, though the ones done by normal illustrators sometimes look like rear end
6. Oxford World's Classics -- Inferior penguin classics, font choice on newer editions is questionable
7. Wordsworth's Classics – shat out trash. cursed art from hell. no way José. look at this loving poo poo

I like the look of NYRB, new Penguin, Oxford World and Everyman's Library, though I'm mostly judging based on ebook covers.