Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

So my kid who moved out earlier this year has a 95 Acura with apparently a B18C1 engine. I'm not up on my vtec poo poo, sorry.

Anyways I'm outside when he leaves after visiting us. I notice a drat a puddle of oil in the street. Got a hold of him, said you can't drive the car. He's like "yeah, the light came on and I'm dumping some oil in." Was a mile away. Told him to come back...let's take a look.

So he's futzing around (I tend to let my kids struggle a tad) and I say start the car. As soon as he does oil is pissing out from a flange/sensor from the camshaft area. Granted I'm not a Honda guy, so searching for the part was fun and figured out it was a vtec solenoid gasket.

Easy to replace. But holy hell, the kit was $30. Needed to be done now and fortunately Napa had one.

Funny thing is he drops one of the bolts into the grass. Thinks he can find it. Trip to the hardware store for a 59 cent bolt and off he goes.

Cripes, kids. But I think he learned a thing or two. And those gaskets are priced loving ridiculous. Could have been much much more worse if it let loose on the interstate.

As someone who ran a VTEC engine of that generation low on oil once... (D16Y8 in a 96 Civic, but still related)....

That engine's already hosed five ways from Sunday. Mine was hosed before the light came on - I felt a huge power loss about a second before the light came on, and it was already knocking badly before I got to the shoulder. Those engines do NOT like losing oil pressure - even if the bottom end isn't trying to tell knock knock jokes yet, the top end will very shortly (if it doesn't lock up and snap the timing belt). They don't run cam bearings on that head; instead, oil passages for the cam are machined into the head itself. So absolutely best case scenario, he lost oil pressure for a few seconds and hosed the cams + head (the top end is the last part to get oil on these engines). Realistically, he should plan for a long block sooner rather than later, and (:laffo: this won't happen if he's <25) keep it under 4k until then.

The upside is the B18C1 is pretty common. Not as common as the B18B that the 3rd gen RS/LS/GS Integra got, but it's the most common B series VTEC engine in the US.

e: to help you on your VTAK YO knowledge, the only Integras to come with a VTEC engine are the GSR and Type R. The Type R is incredibly rare, and gets a B18C5 in the US (also only sold for 2 or 3 model years). The GSR we got in the US from 94-01 got the B18C1. The very first GSR we got in the US (92-93) got a B17A1, but (a) that's the 2nd gen Integra instead of a 3rd gen, and (b) it's safe to say about 95% of 2nd gen GSRs either got stolen or got a B18C swap. I can't say I've seen a B17 in person in over 15 years. I'm assuming your son's Integra is a GSR, unless he (or a previous owner) did an engine swap.

fake e2: The upside is 2nd and 3rd gen Integras are like legos when it comes to the drivetrain. Engine swap can be done in a day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oh yeah, I know it probably hosed it up good time like drat near every other car that shows the low oil light. It's a gsr.

Just glad I caught it when I did and hopefully mitigated some of the damage. Heck he hasn't visited in a few months and here it let's loose. Life is funny sometime.

Engine bay looked like it was bukkaked by the Exxon Valdez.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is amazing and I'm gonna steal it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The wife told me her car had water coming out from under the dash and that there was a loud sloshing sound when she took turns. Went poking under there and found soggy carpet and the AC drain vent that was bone dry. I had an instrument cleaner for clearing the Miata's drains so I stuff that down the line and wiggled it a few times. Got a few drops, then did it again and go a few more. When I yanked it out I got some jet black crud and the water gushed out. Got it on my hands and it took 5 or 6 washings with LAVA soap to get the smell off. But at least the problem is fixed.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My 323 was the same way, it took almost a month of Ozium and spray bleach on the evap coils to stop the mildew smell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

My 323 was the same way, it took almost a month of Ozium and spray bleach on the evap coils to stop the mildew smell.

Thankfully we don't smell much in the way of must or mildew but I'll grab some ozium to be prepared.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh yeah, I know it probably hosed it up good time like drat near every other car that shows the low oil light. It's a gsr.

Just glad I caught it when I did and hopefully mitigated some of the damage. Heck he hasn't visited in a few months and here it let's loose. Life is funny sometime.

Also next time he looses a bolt in the grass just have him take his shoes off and walk through it. He will find the bolt in no time at all.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Lots of hammering. loving midwest and its loving rust, fusing all of my suspension components together

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Changed the oil on three cars, replaced the broken AC pulley on my Saabaru with a new tensioner/pulley combo (finally), found and fixed a coolant leak and replaced the PCV valve. Pretty productive day.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Worked on my neighbor’s ‘04 Silverado pickup.

Replaced the carrier between the two driveshafts that was preparing for the I-295 Pole-Vault competition (the rubber insulator was gone). Did not use a press - cut-off wheel, ball peen & chisel, and pent-up resentment at my day job. Heating the new carrier bearing with a heat gun & hammering it on with a 10” length of 1-1/2” galv pipe was a hell of a lot cheaper than a machine shop.

Resolved the incredibly annoying blend-door issue that roasts the driver (while the passenger side stays cool) by installing a ball valve on the heater-core hose instead of removing every single interior component to locate some defective circuit-board. Close for summer, open for winter. $12 and fifteen minutes.

Restored full horn function by removing the airbag followed by the horn contact, filing the mung off of said contact, and cleaning more mung off of the contact ring by jamming a piece of steel wool down in the socket & spinning the wheel lock-to-lock a few times. He hasn’t had a functional horn since 2011. It doesn’t help that he works construction, smokes like a chimney and never cleans the cab. There’s enough dirt in there to support agriculture.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Darchangel posted:

I don't know about you, but in my experience, the torque converter goes on the transmission first, so you can ensure that tit engages the pump correctly, then you bolt it to the flywheel when you mate up the transmission. That said, my experience is also with American RWD cars with automatics, so YMMV. Check your service manual.

How the splines are designed on this trans you can do it either way since they helpfully tapered the end of the pump shaft into a cone so it'll guide itself into place when inserted into the torque converter, but you are right that is the correct way to do it. The flexplate to torque converter bolts are quite hard to get to in this car and it came apart this way so I figured it'd be ok. I know some other models the torque converter locks into the trans and or has a non-tapered pump shaft and yeah that would be a bad time if done backwards like this.

The engine is back in the car now and is in the process of being hooked back up, I'll get some pictures eventually.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 4, 2018

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Installed Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs over the last two weekends with help from some fellow AI friends. Not exactly a terrible job but man handling the passenger side front hub back onto the lower control arm caused a CV boot to tear so now I get to replace that too!

About a 1" drop in total, front and rear.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Finished reassembling and then painted the front spoiler for my Saab

Its not the prettiest as it came in the back of the car broken into 5 separate pieces which I have rejoined with fibreglass and riveted reinforcement backing, but its better than not having one.

I've also had to make up most of the brackets for it as they either didn't come with it or I lost them somewhere over the past 10 years.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Finished up the transmission swap... it is like a new car. Praise jebus.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Started stripping the paint off the hood of the C70. The paint was never the best on the hood since I bought it, and sitting in my driveway for the last year has done it zero favors. For now I'm going to just throw a few coats of primer on it and seal that with a satin black until I can repaint it properly.

Also pictured; my 245 that I need to finish putting back together before it gets cold again.

Not pictured: the storage unit I've nearly got cleared out enough to stuff my Celica into.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Took a stab at dipping my front emblem. I already replaced the rear and side emblems with factory black ones, and I have the front in a box, but on 2018's you have the drop the entire bumper to replace it. So I figured I'd give this a shot and if it stinks I can always peel it off and/or replace it.

I bought "gloss" dip, but its satin at best. The OEM emblem is gloss and I think would fit in better, but I'll leave it for a while to see how I feel.

Also dipping my ez pass while I have it out lol.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

opengl128 posted:

That's a really good idea, I hate the massive white square inside my window. (ya, I know I could probably get the later smaller one, but meh)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

chrisgt posted:

That's a really good idea, I hate the massive white square inside my window. (ya, I know I could probably get the later smaller one, but meh)

I do have the small one and still hated the white square poking out.

Its done and looks decent, now you just see two little rectangular white velcro pieces floating there lol.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Can you detail how you masked the piece? I can't tell if its just masking tape or something else? Looks almost like plastic wrap covered in dip.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just blue painter's tape carefully placed to shape around the emblem.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm becoming that old man that hates new cars. My 2015 Ford Escape decided it didn't want to play audio from bluetooth on my phone. The phone part worked, and the phone said it was playing but no sound when playing music or podcasts. I've had issues in older Sync systems solved by pulling the fuse and letting it reset. I found the fuse but there was NO TOOL TO PULL THE FUSE. There was no way to pull it by hand and I was at work so I didn't have a pair of pliers. I thought I would check the main fuse box under the hood for a tool, and I COULDN'T EVEN GET IT OPEN. The so called lever handle snapped right off, which was hidden in the back anyway, with no indication on how to open it. I ended up fixing it by doing a Master Reset (which I also was afraid of), but it worked.

loving Let People Fix Their poo poo God Damnit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

StormDrain posted:

I'm becoming that old man that hates new cars. My 2015 Ford Escape decided it didn't want to play audio from bluetooth on my phone. The phone part worked, and the phone said it was playing but no sound when playing music or podcasts. I've had issues in older Sync systems solved by pulling the fuse and letting it reset. I found the fuse but there was NO TOOL TO PULL THE FUSE. There was no way to pull it by hand and I was at work so I didn't have a pair of pliers. I thought I would check the main fuse box under the hood for a tool, and I COULDN'T EVEN GET IT OPEN. The so called lever handle snapped right off, which was hidden in the back anyway, with no indication on how to open it. I ended up fixing it by doing a Master Reset (which I also was afraid of), but it worked.

loving Let People Fix Their poo poo God Damnit.

Welcome to me at 34 :smuggo:

Really though ever since doing the import thing I'm locked to early 90s and before for cars now, and because of the circumstances around them I have to be able to fix them myself. That places all the stuff I can get right in the sweet spot of good engineering and simple fixing. Manufactures have a (mostly warranted, honestly) lack of respect for owners and that seems to worm its way into the design of pretty much every new car. Like yea sure I don't like the designs or the blandness on most new things but it's that sort of disdain like you just dealt with on your Escape. Why does Ford make it that way, really?

Today I started my detailing of our 89 Jimny. It has been waxed regularly all its life and it shows when you look at the stickers and decals.

Run a steamer with a small soft brush over them though, making sure to hit all the edges parallel:

and when you stand back it's a huge difference. One of those things that adds up. Works amazingly well for getting the wax off the raised lettering on lights. Tomorrow I'm going to continue with cutting and polishing that clearcoat.

:negative:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Listen I know it's been six months but I'm still hosed up over the fact that it's the Jimny and not the Jimmy. My buddy had one growing up! We both called it the Jimmy!

loving Berenstain bears poo poo over here.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Spent $25 and got two rock auto rotors and put them on my car. No more weird noises! Owning one of a million sold is magical for cheap parts.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KakerMix posted:

Welcome to me at 34 :smuggo:

My 34th birthday was this week....

The Galaxie has a shield over the radiator fan with a lip that makes it a tool tray. At least Ford of old acknowledged their poo poo broke and would need fixing.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I cleaned the interior. Crosspost from my thread:

Grakkus posted:

It's in pretty good shape, generally speaking, but it's pretty filthy from being sat for so long in a humid, cool environment. Someone also taped up the air vents at some point, presumably to stop moisture and creatures from getting in, which has left an ugly residue. First things first, though, the coin tray was broken and wouldn't stay closed, and I had picked up a replacement for a mere 7 pounds, so I replaced it:

The broken coin tray next to the large, prominent ashtray (mandatory in French cars):

The mechanism from the damaged one compared to the good one:

The little plastic runner that goes through the channel had snapped off. I thought about fixing the old one, but the runner is held on by a tiny spring as it needs to move up and down and the whole thing seemed like more effort than it was worth, so I just slotted in the replacement piece:

Which brings me to stage 2, the absolutely filthy dash, centre console and steering wheel. My dad swears by Autoglym products so I thought I'd steal his interior shampoo and try it out and I'm extremely impressed. It took off all the gunk on all hard and soft surfaces with very little effort, eliminated the mustiness and left the car smelling fresh, and gave it all a really pleasing satin finish.

Some vacuuming and an APC bath for the gear knob later, the car is extremely pleasant to sit inside and I no longer worry about catching an exotic disease. Prrrobably should have done this stuff earlier!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I need to buff the hood but didn't have any clearcoat polish on hand so I did the headlights which needed it sorely. These pictures don't really do much justice as they didn't catch just how yellow and foggy it was getting.

Before:

After:

This was my first time using a drill attachment and the results look much better than what I can usually achieve by hand. I did go a littlebit overboard on the first headlight but I'm going to need to do the same on some more expensive cars so this was good practice.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Oh my god this is a great idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

StormDrain posted:

My 34th birthday was this week....

Both of y'all kiddos shut the gently caress up right now. :corsair:

(I'm not taking this "40" poo poo very grac*hip pops out of place* *gently caress*efully)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Both of y'all kiddos shut the gently caress up right now. :corsair:

(I'm not taking this "40" poo poo very grac*hip pops out of place* *gently caress*efully)

Pffft! I turn almost 50 (49) on Monday.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looking at fixing an odd squealing issue while turning right.

Quote this all you want:

gently caress RUST.

That is all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looking at fixing an odd squealing issue while turning right.

Quote this all you want:

gently caress RUST.

That is all.

[laughs in floridian]

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Cleaned two of them, the other stayed wet.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Fender Anarchist posted:

[laughs in floridian]
What is this "rust" you speak of?
I have 4 80's Toyotas with no rust.
[laughs in californian]

(this is the newest one that I just started taking the 4A-GE blacktop 20 valve turbo out of)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Does the FRMIC get good airflow there? I'd never thought about it but I guess your mounting options are kinda limited.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Better than the nutters that mount them in the trunk with no airflow. :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Today i've dropped the exhaust off my Saab as the front 2/3rds is one big DIY welded section and because of that I couldn't move it around enough to make it seal properly into the back box section.

Chopped the massive section into 2 and added a flange. Now it is all easy to fit and the back section is easy to seal up but I cant get the front to seal up to the manifold again because I am missing the sealing ring/donut and it was apparently previously fitted just using good luck and exhaust paste!

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Fender Anarchist posted:

Does the FRMIC get good airflow there? I'd never thought about it but I guess your mounting options are kinda limited.
Well, air flows under the car pretty well, so I'd assume it's fine. Plus no heat soak like the stock intercooler for the supercharged engine. I really dislike it though; there is a lot of piping and it seems like it would be easy to get destroyed by something on the road. The most efficient way to do it is with an air-to-water intercooler, or in the trunk with an air-to-air and a scoop/fans for airflow.

Stock S/C intercooler

Air-to-water in trunk

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The cut-out under the blend door that I replaced a while ago fell off in July. Today I got around to patching the hole so the position of the door actually matters again. I lost the plastic chunk, so I re-purposed the cardboard box last Friday's lasagne came in.
HVAC patch by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
HVAC patch in place by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

Took a stab at dipping my front emblem. I already replaced the rear and side emblems with factory black ones, and I have the front in a box, but on 2018's you have the drop the entire bumper to replace it. So I figured I'd give this a shot and if it stinks I can always peel it off and/or replace it.

I bought "gloss" dip, but its satin at best. The OEM emblem is gloss and I think would fit in better, but I'll leave it for a while to see how I feel.

They make a Glossifier for plastidip in the cans, and it makes it a little less matte.