Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

fuckwolf posted:

I want to start making poke, but I don’t have easy or affordable access to sushi-grade (surely a loaded term) fish. Looking at the SE guide to SV salmon, it sounds like doing it at 105 F gives a texture “like firm sashimi.” So theoretically I could buy Costco salmon, vizzle it, and still end up with something akin to poke, even if the fish isn’t raw. I would probably have to chill it immediately after cooking?

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Anyone tried doing
salmon that low? It seems like such a low temp that it seems weird that it would be food-safe. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I also don’t want to get worms or die of some fish-related disease.

Low temp SV salmon isn’t “safe” it is just fast enough to not be “dangerous” if that makes sense?

Edit: treat it as if it were raw and you will be fine. Don’t serve it to immune compromised folks. I like the dish but have someone I cook for I have to accommodate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

fuckwolf posted:

I want to start making poke, but I don’t have easy or affordable access to sushi-grade (surely a loaded term) fish. Looking at the SE guide to SV salmon, it sounds like doing it at 105 F gives a texture “like firm sashimi.” So theoretically I could buy Costco salmon, vizzle it, and still end up with something akin to poke, even if the fish isn’t raw. I would probably have to chill it immediately after cooking?

salmon that low? It seems like such a low temp that it seems weird that it would be food-safe. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I also don’t want to get worms or die of some fish-related disease.

Sous vide temperatures for salmon that don't actually cook the fish (such as 105F) don't do anything for parasites. Freezing is the best defense against that, and opting for farmed fish over wild fish.

We made gravlax from Costco salmon and it was fine.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fuckwolf posted:

105 is absolutely not food safe, if anything it's more dangerous than eating it raw from a refrigerated state.

All you need for "sushi-grade" is firm flesh, no slime, no smell (maybe light sea/salt smell, but NO fishy smell).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ya Sushi Grade in America has no real meaning but the best way to make sure it is safe is to freeze it for a period of time (I think 36 hours? Don’t remember)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

fuckwolf posted:

I want to start making poke, but I don’t have easy or affordable access to sushi-grade (surely a loaded term) fish.

It's not just a loaded term, it's a meaningless one, it's an unregulated term and means whatever the fishmonger wants it to mean.

quote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Anyone tried doing salmon that low?

I've done the 105F salmon and the texture is wonderful, it's different than raw but certainly not cooked.

quote:

It seems like such a low temp that it seems weird that it would be food-safe. Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I also don’t want to get worms or die of some fish-related disease.

It's not food-safe. If the raw fish would make you sick, doing it at 105F isn't going to help. If you have doubts about the safety of the fish you're using, then this isn't a way to fix that.

In terms of parasites, raw tuna is almost certainly safe. Raw farmed salmon is almost certainly safe. Other raw wild fish that has been frozen according to the FDA's recommendations (which are colder than your home freezer can reach, so don't try it at home and expect it to work) is also almost certainly safe.

Seriouseats has a good guide:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/how-to-prepare-raw-fish-at-home-sushi-sashimi-food-safety.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Ya Sushi Grade in America has no real meaning but the best way to make sure it is safe is to freeze it for a period of time (I think 36 hours? Don’t remember)

In my understanding, a home freezer doesn't get cold enough to kill parasites. On the flip side, everything you get from a grocery store will likely have been flash frozen on the boat so it's a non issue. I would trust store bought fish that I ate raw more than, say, something I caught and froze myself. Not to mention that the texture will suffer if you freeze it yourself (versus flash freezing, which freezes quickly enough to limit ice crystal formation and damage).

For more information on this topic, ask SubG.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How do people deal with cooking fish they caught themselves? Like it seems like they just pull it out of the water and slap it in a pan, but what are the risks or rates of parasites there?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

How do people deal with cooking fish they caught themselves? Like it seems like they just pull it out of the water and slap it in a pan, but what are the risks or rates of parasites there?

Cooking them should kill them. The risk is when you're eating the fish raw, which I would never recommend with something you catch yourself.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The recommendation is 145°. Obv with sous vide you can do lower for longer to kill them, but if you just pan-fry or roast fish, I don't think 145° is the usual target?

Internal parasites are just so :barf: to me

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Personally I recommend following the 10X10 rule. Poach them about 10 hours at 100°.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cooking them should kill them. The risk is when you're eating the fish raw, which I would never recommend with something you catch yourself.

also what people are catching on their own are often very different from the fish I think we most commonly worry about parasites in.

unless you're catching tuna or salmon in which case I am insanely jealous of you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There's an A/T fishing thread I lurk. On the last page someone caught a beautiful salmon.

I kinda want to do a deep-sea fishing thing, thinking about getting into fishing in general, but not if I can't eat the fish!!!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had this business idea of buying medical blast freezers and offering the service to fisherman to swing by my storefront and get their fish blast sub 0 frozen so it won’t hurt texture and kill the parasites.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ColHannibal posted:

I had this business idea of buying medical blast freezers and offering the service to fisherman to swing by my storefront and get their fish blast sub 0 frozen so it won’t hurt texture and kill the parasites.
Don't the charter/daytrip fishing boats they take out usually have those freezers on board?

Also, I ate sushi from a freshly caught Yellowtail once (like it was still alive three minutes before we ate it), am I going to die of parasites?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Don't the charter/daytrip fishing boats they take out usually have those freezers on board?

Also, I ate sushi from a freshly caught Yellowtail once (like it was still alive three minutes before we ate it), am I going to die of parasites?

They actually don’t, they are pretty rare outside of commercial boats

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Infinite Karma posted:

Outside of the third world, parasites are very easily treatable if you catch them. Watch your skin for odd-shaped rashes, watch your poops for anything odd. If your digestion changes behavior (e.g. reacts to a food differently than it did before) that's cause for concern. They have poop tests and blood tests that insurance probably covers.

IANADoctor. However, I speak from uncomfortable personal experience :can:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BrianBoitano posted:

Outside of the third world, parasites are very easily treatable if you catch them. Watch your skin for odd-shaped rashes, watch your poops for anything odd. If your digestion changes behavior (e.g. reacts to a food differently than it did before) that's cause for concern. They have poop tests and blood tests that insurance probably covers.

IANADoctor. However, I speak from uncomfortable personal experience :can:

It was in 1999. I assume the potentially bad thing would have already happened, in that case. I just don't want trichinosis or river blindness or something.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a decent chance you contracted 20 Years After Eating Yellowtail Three Minutes After It Died Disease.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Chemmy posted:

There's a decent chance you contracted 20 Years After Eating Yellowtail Three Minutes After It Died Disease.

A very good and goony disease.

But seriously, if eating unsafe fish is only mildly dangerous (because the parasites aren't deadly), that's good to know.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Anasakiasis used to be a big problem in countries where people eat a lot of raw or pickled fish, and it’s really unpleasant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

I cook every fish I catch myself and save sushi for fish I know have been industrially frozen.

Edit: you can’t get this one from freshwater fish, but there are other parasites that live in e.g. Great Lakes introduced salmon.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 27, 2018

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2768117/Sushi-lover-s-entire-body-left-riddled-tapeworm-parasites-eating-contaminated-sashimi.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

I'm in

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

ColHannibal posted:

IQF tunnel freezer on a trailer. It might be crazy enough to work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey if I have some SV pork loin chops, can I still do like a light flour-fry? Any suggestions on technique?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Feenix posted:

Hey if I have some SV pork loin chops, can I still do like a light flour-fry? Any suggestions on technique?

I would say chill them between the bath and the fry, and go as hot as you can without burning anything.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Hey ausgoons, anova have the Bluetooth model on clearance for half price with free shipping.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Would there be a difference if I put in the meat/eggs/veggies in while the water heats up (starting from not-cold water) versus putting them IN only after the water comes to temp, which is what I'm doing now?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

Would there be a difference if I put in the meat/eggs/veggies in while the water heats up (starting from not-cold water) versus putting them IN only after the water comes to temp, which is what I'm doing now?

The difference it makes is probably negligible, although this comes from intuition because I have no idea what I'm talking about. Cooking sous vide, you set the water to the maximum allowed temperature, and wait a long time for the food to get to that temperature throughout. Since the temperature is never high enough to burn the food, it's a question of if you want it to cook slowly or quickly, which is an orthogonal problem more related to the ingredients involved. With eggs for example, you will want to start from cold, because the temperature shock can crack the shells. With a steak it doesn't really make a practical difference.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

My guess is your cooking time would be off by a few minutes at worst, which usually doesn't change anything with SV as you have a pretty wide window there.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Argue posted:

I believe the reason most recipes say to let it come to temp before putting the ingredients in is just a ~danger zone~ thing.

Unless I'm warming up a huge amount of water, the time it takes reaching temperature is so low that I find it negligible, especially since most of the time I'll be prepping the bags, etc. as it comes to temp, not after. So if it's out of the fridge, might as well be in the puddle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I just pour hot tap water in.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
That’s the reason I bought a Joule, biggest heating element so gets to temp like instantly and keeps temp when dumping stuff in.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I assume that he also does that as he says "starting from not-cold water".

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I did 27 hour beef short ribs at 159 F. I had never done them before, so I just used salt and nothing else. The texture was perfect but next time I'll have to have a nice sauce to go with. All I did this time was reduce the bag drippings and use that as a gravy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thought experiment.
I know someone who lives near an ostrich farm and can get me fresh eggs.

I know I can SV normal eggs, but an ostrich egg would probably be too large in diameter to work, right?

I really want a giant soft boild egg seveeal people can share now...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hopper posted:

I know I can SV normal eggs, but an ostrich egg would probably be too large in diameter to work, right?
I don't understand. I can sous vide a pork shoulder bigger than an ostrich egg easily; the only thing going on with SV is a slow, controlled temperature rise. Huck an egg in and wait - you'll need to wait longer than with a chicken egg, because it's a bigger thing, but it's definitely doable.

Just going off a circumference calculator, a 8" circumference egg needs a puddle time of about 33 minutes to hit temperature (of 167f) and an ostrich egg has on average a 16" circumference - so probably set aside about an hour to test, and definitely write that poo poo up because it's intriguing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SVing an egg changes texture as a function of not only temp but also time (in much shorter intervals than anything except maybe fish).

I think you'd have to do it two stage, a temp that'll only effect yolk, then a higher temp or even boil for a short time for the white. Experiment with ice baths between the two

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hopper posted:

Thought experiment.
I know someone who lives near an ostrich farm and can get me fresh eggs.

I really want a giant soft boild egg seveeal people can share now...

https://gfycat.com/afraidgiftedamphiuma

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Whalley posted:

I don't understand. I can sous vide a pork shoulder bigger than an ostrich egg easily; the only thing going on with SV is a slow, controlled temperature rise. Huck an egg in and wait - you'll need to wait longer than with a chicken egg, because it's a bigger thing, but it's definitely doable.

Just going off a circumference calculator, a 8" circumference egg needs a puddle time of about 33 minutes to hit temperature (of 167f) and an ostrich egg has on average a 16" circumference - so probably set aside about an hour to test, and definitely write that poo poo up because it's intriguing.

Out of curiosity: I understand that the consistency of the yolk is affected by the time spent in the bath. For a large egg like this, would the amount of time for your desired consistency need to be multiplied based on the ratio of an ostrich egg to a regular egg, or would you just need to add a flat 33 minutes to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Argue posted:

Out of curiosity: I understand that the consistency of the yolk is affected by the time spent in the bath. For a large egg like this, would the amount of time for your desired consistency need to be multiplied based on the ratio of an ostrich egg to a regular egg, or would you just need to add a flat 33 minutes to it?

it wouldn't be multiplied, it takes longer for the temperature to penetrate the bigger egg so you'd just need a longer cooktime