Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I preordered 76 as soon as it was announced; I'm not expecting that it will be wonderful but I can definitely get a bunch of friends together and have fun. One of the things I said a while ago was that I hope the next game in the series had some sort of multiplayer option because I enjoy building stuff in FO4 but it feels unfulfilling to not be able to share it except by screenshot. I was thinking more of an original Guild Wars style game with people meeting in common areas like Diamond City, Goodneighbor, etc. and being able to party up and go explore/quest together, but I'm sure I'll have fun anyway.

Berke Negri posted:

little known fact is the only true fallout game is not fallout or wasteland but castle of the winds
It was a really good game.

Vinylshadow posted:

Ya ever just run off in a random direction away from quest markers and just explore the world at level one?

It's a lot of fun and makes the game seem a lot better than it actually is
It doesn't make the game seem better than it is, it's an option that actually makes the game better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

How can people complain about the terrible writing in Bethesda games and then complain about them taking it away? Fallout/skyrim are great rpg sandboxes and I'm pretty excited to try out a multiplayer version. There's a real lack of sandbox games that don't look like raw sewage so it'll be cool to see what a bigger developer can do in that space. I've been a big fan of griefing since the UO days and the description of the semi-consensual pvp in the article earlier sounds right up my alley.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because the writing, as bad is it, is still the only thing of value in those games. If you want Minecraft with laser guns, that's your thing, but it's not really appealing to me at all - "exploring" copy pasted environments never was a draw for any Fallout game. In other words, sandbox games are boring as poo poo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bethesda is not very good at overarching stories, but small snippets they're good at.

Stuff like dungeons that have stories about previous explorers and whatnot.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Because the writing, as bad is it, is still the only thing of value in those games. If you want Minecraft with laser guns, that's your thing, but it's not really appealing to me at all - "exploring" copy pasted environments never was a draw for any Fallout game. In other words, sandbox games are boring as poo poo.

No, the writing is worthless and best slammed through at high speed. What's good about those games is having a physics driven reactive sandbox with strong art production. I felt completely unmoved by any of those quests because they are really, really terrible and so poorly acted. Minecraft is... really rather different looking and playing so I'm not sure where the comparison is there. Not sure where the copy pasted environment dig is coming from either and I don't see why that would be any different in a single player Bethesda game. You don't play these games to gently caress around and hassle npcs? You play them for the stories? Because that is really weird.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What is physics driven about these games? The ragdolls? Ragdolls stopped being entertaining around 2010, they are just annoying these days. The art direction can't make up for the abject lack of inspired gameplay content.

The quests are bad, the exploration is way worse. There is no interesting way to "hassle the NPCs". You can make them shoot you, which is not interesting at all. Playing the game to trigger the one NPC reaction again and again is about as entertaining as playing a game of pegs and holes. The stories are the only content that isn't generic loving around with boring as poo poo assets, and yes, those stories are bad, which is why those games as a whole are bad.

As for the "copy pasted" content - Like seriously, when people talk about exploring, what do they talk about? There are like three templates they use to build dungeons, there is no unique loot, there are no quests of note tied to those dungeons... you are just running through the same crap again and again, just arranged slightly differently, and your reward is nothing, except the same crap you get from looting bathroom cabinets in abandoned duplexes.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 8, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floppychop posted:

Bethesda is not very good at overarching stories, but small snippets they're good at.

Stuff like dungeons that have stories about previous explorers and whatnot.

Nah. Fallout 4 had a great story. You had to dig in and play as Nate or Nora rather than being given a blank slate to run with, which threw some people off. Fallout 4's major loci of choice were more about which quests you did rather than each quest having different ways to complete it, which seemed to throw some people off as well.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 8, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Fallout 4's major loci of choice were more about which quests you did rather than each quest having different ways to complete it, which also seemed to throw some people off as well.

Lmbo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Nah. Fallout 4 had a great story. You had to dig in and play as Nate or Nora rather than being given a blank slate to run with, which threw some people off. Fallout 4's major loci of choice were more about which quests you did rather than each quest having different ways to complete it, which seemed to throw some people off as well.

Source your quotes

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry that your father never came back for you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thank god he didn't, so he couldn't infect me with dumb rear end ideas

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I enacted a powerful choice in Fallout 4 by not doing sny of the quests or even buying the game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
hello father i am your frozen son and i made kellogg live with a robot of 12 year old me for a while so i could fool the audience

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have a lot of love for the Kellogg thing because it's delightfully bananas. They wanted to have the twist that Shaun is old, but they also wanted you to fight and kill Kellogg for some reason, so instead of just not having ine of those things they bent the story into a pretzel to have both

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

Ragdolls stopped being entertaining around 2010, they are just annoying these days.

:wrong:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Finding ragdolls amusing is like laughing at America's funniest home videos.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ragdolls are the alternative to canned animations that just slide the models out of the way of inconvenient scenery.

The real answer is Euphoria, but Rockstar is maintaining a stranglehold on it I think.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What is physics driven about these games? The ragdolls? Ragdolls stopped being entertaining around 2010, they are just annoying these days. The art direction can't make up for the abject lack of inspired gameplay content.

The quests are bad, the exploration is way worse. There is no interesting way to "hassle the NPCs". You can make them shoot you, which is not interesting at all. Playing the game to trigger the one NPC reaction again and again is about as entertaining as playing a game of pegs and holes. The stories are the only content that isn't generic loving around with boring as poo poo assets, and yes, those stories are bad, which is why those games as a whole are bad.

As for the "copy pasted" content - Like seriously, when people talk about exploring, what do they talk about? There are like three templates they use to build dungeons, there is no unique loot, there are no quests of note tied to those dungeons... you are just running through the same crap again and again, just arranged slightly differently, and your reward is nothing, except the same crap you get from looting bathroom cabinets in abandoned duplexes.

So dont play the game

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

HORMELCHILI posted:

So dont play the game

New thread title.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The ragdolls in 3/NV/4 are an absolute delight, especially when you kill someone in VATS by shooting their arm and they go flying off into the next cell

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

steinrokkan posted:

you're so cool

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

steinrokkan posted:

So cool and good, then? If you can't laugh at someone getting owned by a rope swing, I feel very sorry for you.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You have no soul and that's sad

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Which circles back to the fact you can't target the balls in VATS anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chitoryu12 posted:

Ragdolls are the alternative to canned animations that just slide the models out of the way of inconvenient scenery.

The real answer is Euphoria, but Rockstar is maintaining a stranglehold on it I think.

How did Rockstar of all people get control of Euphoria? I thought it was initially developed for the Star Wars Force Unleashed games.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

You have no soul and that's sad

The only joy he gets out of life is constantly posting in the thread about a game series that he hates made by a company he hates that makes those games he hates in the exact way that he hates the most. Don't disparage his one source of joy he has found in this cruel world!

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 9, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

deathbagel posted:

The only joy he gets out of life is constantly posting in the thread about a game series that he hates made by a company he hates that makes those games he hates in the exact way that he hates the most. Don't disparage him the one source of joy he has found in this cruel world!

You gotta wonder about people who only get attention that way :smith:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this seems like its not going to be very good

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

eonwe posted:

this seems like its not going to be very good

:monocle:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hot take

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

How did Rockstar of all people get control of Euphoria? I thought it was initially developed for the Star Wars Force Unleashed games.

No idea. They even built it into the source code of the Rage engine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, anyway, anyone in this thread in the Fallout 76 beta? If so, how is it? Is Mothman a social link or not?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So, anyway, anyone in this thread in the Fallout 76 beta? If so, how is it? Is Mothman a social link or not?

Has it even started?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I believe it was mentioned a while back that the beta would begin in early October or sometime around there. Like right before the game goes live.

So it's not really a beta so much as it is early access since the game is expected to be (or better be) feature complete and fully accessible by then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Beta is in october

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Azhais posted:

Has it even started?

No, I thought it had, but I looked it up and apparently it doesn't start until sometime in October.

Which really doesn't seem like nearly enough time to beta test a massive online multiplayer game that releases in mid-November. I mean, I'm not a programmer, but doesn't beta testing normally take longer than a month?

Edit:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I believe it was mentioned a while back that the beta would begin in early October or sometime around there. Like right before the game goes live.

So it's not really a beta so much as it is early access since the game is expected to be (or better be) feature complete and fully accessible by then.

Ah, so then why not just call it "early access" like normal people?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No, I thought it had, but I looked it up and apparently it doesn't start until sometime in October.

Which really doesn't seem like nearly enough time to beta test a massive online multiplayer game that releases in mid-November. I mean, I'm not a programmer, but doesn't beta testing normally take longer than a month?

Yeah. Fortunately Todd is still giving answers like "We don't know how that's going to work yet" in interviews, so I'm sure it'll be polished anyway

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Edit:

Ah, so then why not just call it "early access" like normal people?

i didn't think it was a traditional beta, isn't bethesda q&a all done in house?

i thought this would just be stress testing servers, etc, maybe some low ball balance issues

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
kellogg would've been way more interesting if he was a synth with backups, so when you get to the institute you have to choose if you work with him or not, rather than all dialogue options pointing to murder

kellogg was so wasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I’m probably gonna play this game with the friends I have because I’m not a complete gronk