Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
When talking about police shootings, it's interesting to look at how Buffalo police reduced shootings, to the point that nobody was shot and killed by a Buffalo PD officer for four years. tl;dr it's a combination of community policing, working to increase and improve trust between citizens and police, and, most importantly, a true cultural commitment to reduce shootings and plant the thought in the minds of officers that they don't want to shoot anyone.

e:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Who else is excited for the flooding of virginia.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'd be happier if Mar a Lago was wiped off the map

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

One place at a time.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
hot, wet Virginia.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

From my time in Dallas, DPD wasn't bad, it was the small bullshit munis and towns between and around DFW that was the absolute worse

yeah and there are a gently caress ton of them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is the most recent official forecast track:

code:

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS INIT
 09/2100Z 24.4N 57.0W 75 KT 85 MPH 12H
 10/0600Z 24.6N 58.3W 90 KT 105 MPH 24H
 10/1800Z 25.1N 60.4W 105 KT 120 MPH 36H
 11/0600Z 25.9N 63.1W 115 KT 130 MPH 48H
 11/1800Z 27.0N 66.2W 125 KT 145 MPH 72H
 12/1800Z 30.3N 72.6W 130 KT 150 MPH 96H
 13/1800Z 33.5N 77.5W 120 KT 140 MPH 120H
 14/1800Z 35.0N 79.0W 60 KT 70 MPH...INLAND

I take some small comfort that 35.000N 79.000W is inside Fayettenam city limits.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

At this point it looks like you really don't want to be anywhere near drainage or below a reservoir:

https://mobile.twitter.com/afreedma/status/1038902945922928645

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1038966088581767168

A Harvey is going to wash away everything below the Fall Line and make a good attempt at doing the same for the Piedmont.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

JFC

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1038978626291679237

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's times like this I'm glad I live way the gently caress off the coast. And 6k feet above sea level.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I live on US 1 just over the sc nc border and always knew this place would be the beach again and soon but always expected the sea to come to me not vice versa

I wonder if the east side of Columbia will be destroyed by Ft Jackson's concern for irrigating their golf course, again

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:stare:

I'm gonna call my mom and tell her to pack the car.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

Yeah. If she doesn't get out now, she won't.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Have GBS started masturbating yet, or are they declaring this a "nothingburger" and openly displaying their disappointment for the lack of death expected to occur?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am expecting more good posting from gbs like just move away from the ocean idiots like what happened with houston

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

EBB posted:

I posted this in the A/T weather thread but its something that's stuck with me since living through the last big NC hurricane:

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I remember as a kid after Fran passed through the local NC TV stations did live feeds of news choppers flying down the coast broadcasting video of endless blank, scoured clean concrete pads where all the beach side properties used to sit so people could know their homes weren't spared the storm's wrath.

Feels like we're due for a repeat performance.

Managed to find the original video on YouTube, just show her this:

https://youtu.be/NfUR9N_lZTI

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I literally joined this forum for the hurricane katrina thread, it's about time I provided quality content.

Hell, my shed's even blue. Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

I literally joined this forum for the hurricane katrina thread, it's about time I provided quality content.

The legend of the blue shed lives on. Keep the wifi going to keep the periscope up (as long as youre not dead)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

Thank you for ur surface

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Mid-Atlantic has received a lot of rain this summer. In both June and July, we had days where we got a month’s worth of rain in a single day. I’ve been out of town for over a week, but it’s my understanding that we got even more rain over the last few days as well.

The ground is pretty saturated as it is and I’ll be worried about some flooding as far north as DC and MD, or at the very least, trees coming down and a lot of storm damage.

My girlfriend is home alone with Lando. At least we’ve got enough food and water to last her alone for at least a week if things get a bit hinky in DC (supply chain disruptions and whatnot more than an acute humanitarian situation.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lando will protect her.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yes this area has been getting an absolute poo poo-gently caress rear end-ton of rain for the last month. Got family in PA and they're telling me about weekly flooding events that were like once a decade from the 70s and on.

If things go bad...they're gonna go REALLY bad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
When's this thing supposed to make landfall?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Duzzy Funlop posted:

When's this thing supposed to make landfall?

Thursday or Friday. If they’re lucky it will hit during daylight.

I just hope that reporter from Harvey who hid in the car wash is going to live stream again

E and PR might get hit again during the same time frame by a cat 2.

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 10, 2018

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://mobile.twitter.com/bhensonweather/status/1038988518968582144

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well, that's not good.

But 4 days out, there's still a chance for it to change direction / not hit as hard, right? I mean, I figure it's only gonna gain strength on the way there, but...

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
There’s supposed to be a high pressure zone moving off the continent acting as a blocker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Four days out it could go anywhere still. There’s a better chance than not that it’s still going to get big and make an east coast collision somewhere between north florida and virginia.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, that's not good.

But 4 days out, there's still a chance for it to change direction / not hit as hard, right? I mean, I figure it's only gonna gain strength on the way there, but...

Theres actually a lot of consensus in the models at the moment. Could drift a bit south or north but theres a lot of agreement that it will hit the eastern US, slow a lot and dump a fuckton of rain.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If its global warming why is it raining? Heh loving libs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The model consensus is actually surprising. Normally, the model predictions look like cooked spaghetti, with five-day predictions being thousands of miles apart from each other, like the predictions for Olivia.

But all the five day predictions for Florence all line up in the same state. It looks more like raw spaghetti than cooked spagetti.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Martello got fired over the bad shoot today. Manslaughter pending.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Allentown-Police-Officer-Loses-Job-After-Charges-in-Shooting-Death-Dorney-Park-492808141.html

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Speaking of definitions of what is, found this guys blog

https://roselawtx.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/manslaughter-and-criminally-negligent-homicide-in-texas/

quote:

Manslaughter in Texas is codified under Texas Penal Code Chapter 19.04(a) and is committed when someone “recklessly causes the death of an individual.” Manslaughter is a 2nd Degree Felony (2 to 20 years in the Texas Department of Corrections).

The legal definition for reckless is defined by Tex.Pen.C. 6.03(c). That provision states, ” A person acts recklessly, or is reckless, with respect to circumstances surrounding his conduct or the result of his conduct when he is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that its disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor’s standpoint.”

This legal standard is clearly and obviously subjective. Therefore, no bright line test as to any fact scenario can be indicative of whether a death could be charged as manslaughter as compared to any other form of homicide under Chapter 19. The best way to show what may be “reckless” is by giving some examples of cases where convictions for manslaughter were upheld on appeal.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

In other "Holy gently caress, Hurricane Florence is going to kill people" news, North Carolina has a bunch of giant hog farms. Specifically, the type that have giant lagoons of pig poo poo that just festers because it's cheaper to buy up a couple adjacent acres and build a basin than it is to responsibly dispose of it. They look like this.

And they're basically giant pools of cholera, E. coli, and whatever other horrible pestilence you'd get from literal pig poo poo festering in the sun. Hurricane/Biblical-style flooding like after Hurricane Floyd in 1999 leads to things like this happening.

Yes, that's a river next to the poo poo lagoon. The entire water system around the area becomes hosed and toxic.

This is a map of North Carolina. The pink dots are hog farms.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:911:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

redneck nazgul posted:

Yes, that's a river next to the poo poo lagoon.

I think the zoning board may have dropped the ball here...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hog farmers need to be hit with the hammer of the fuckin law. Every once in a while I'll get stuck behind a tractor with a tank full of pig poo poo while out running and it is just about the worst smell. They are allowed to just dump it on their fields here because the rules haven't been updated from back when we had mom and pop farms with a couple hogs instead of loving city-sized hog factories

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Hog farmers need to be hit with the hammer of the fuckin law. Every once in a while I'll get stuck behind a tractor with a tank full of pig poo poo while out running and it is just about the worst smell. They are allowed to just dump it on their fields here because the rules haven't been updated from back when we had mom and pop farms with a couple hogs instead of loving city-sized hog factories

Back in the late 90s, Maryland suffered from massive fish die-offs due to runoff from chicken farms and pig farms. Of course, farmers are a very powerful lobby that leverage the ability to pull at the emotional heart strings of Americans who still think of most Farmers as barely getting by.

However, the fishing and crabbing industry in MD is even more powerful than the farming industry, so a bunch of laws were passed forcing poultry and hog farms to literally contain their poo poo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Random thought: It would be very 2018 if a series of hurricanes somehow ruin Democrats chances of winning back control of the House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Mid-Atlantic has received a lot of rain this summer. In both June and July, we had days where we got a month’s worth of rain in a single day. I’ve been out of town for over a week, but it’s my understanding that we got even more rain over the last few days as well.

The ground is pretty saturated as it is and I’ll be worried about some flooding as far north as DC and MD, or at the very least, trees coming down and a lot of storm damage.

My girlfriend is home alone with Lando. At least we’ve got enough food and water to last her alone for at least a week if things get a bit hinky in DC (supply chain disruptions and whatnot more than an acute humanitarian situation.)

Even north of that. I live in South Central Pennsylvania and at this point we get a flood warning every time there's a shower. Ground has been saturated for two straight months.

• Locked thread