Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cessna posted:

So if someone fails a checkride like that is it pretty much the end of their flying career?

In the civilian world, it generally depends on what checkrides you fail, and how many of them you fail.

Generally, a failed checkride during training is pretty normal (especially for the CFI checkride), but if there's a pattern of failures, that's going to raise some questions at job interviews. Once you get into the part 135 or part 121 world, failed checkrides are a much bigger deal, since you're supposed to know what you're doing at that point and, you're generally taking a checkride once a year as part of recurrent training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

I sent a student for his first solo, for the first time yesterday! Rather unlike my first flight test recommend, it went extremely well, and then I got to drench him with a bucket of water :v:

Is this a Canadian thing? I feel like I saw this on some other documentary about flying in Canada also.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Cessna posted:

So if someone fails a checkride like that is it pretty much the end of their flying career?

My record was 0-2 when I started flying. Since then I'm 21-0. No one has ever asked me about the two failures, even on interviews.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this a Canadian thing? I feel like I saw this on some other documentary about flying in Canada also.

Yeah, I guess so. If it’s winter we either get a bucket of light fluffy snow, or save it for after the flight test. No one escapes!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's not a universal tradition though. I was never drenched after my first solo.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I didn’t get water or my shirt cut for my first solo or passing my check ride or whenever it’s supposed to happen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrChips posted:

It's not a universal tradition though. I was never drenched after my first solo.

I wasn't either, I just had the shirt tail cut and turned into artwork. That's why I asked if it was a local tradition north of the border.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Stringent posted:

I don't even fly simulators so I'm completely ignorant, but I'm kind of blown away by someone not being shaken at failing a test like that and just carrying on as if nothing happened.

Fake it till you make it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Fake it till you make it?

I’ve gotten flight instructor jobs where they never at any point asked to see my pilots license.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

I’ve gotten flight instructor jobs where they never at any point asked to see my pilots license.

My interview process was basically "oh you just passed your instructor rating flight test? When would you like to start?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

My interview process was basically "oh you just passed your instructor rating flight test? When would you like to start?"

Mine was awesome:

“I see you went to a Christian high school, are you a Christian?”

I look over and see the Bible on his desk.

“Yes.”

“Are you a Democrat or Republican?”

I see Fox News on his tv.

“Republican.”

“Ok sounds good, here’s some paperwork to fill out.”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"What church do you go to?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

Mine was awesome:

“I see you went to a Christian high school, are you a Christian?”

I look over and see the Bible on his desk.

“Yes.”

“Are you a Democrat or Republican?”

I see Fox News on his tv.

“Republican.”

“Ok sounds good, here’s some paperwork to fill out.”

That doesn't sound awesome, but I suppose even the conservative areas of Alberta are pretty liberal compared to that nonsense.

Even our quite-conservative boss regularly calls Donald Trump a loving idiot, and there's a few instructors (myself included) refusing to do cross-border flights at this point because honestly who wants to deal with US customs at this point?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

The regional I work for had someone get 90% of the way through the interview process before anyone realized the guy had zero flight time in actual airplanes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

azflyboy posted:

The regional I work for had someone get 90% of the way through the interview process before anyone realized the guy had zero flight time in actual airplanes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

That's ballsy as gently caress.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

My previous airline managed to get someone not only hired, not only through training, by golly not only just through IOE, but actually making it TO THE LINE before realizing he didn't have a single engine commercial, just a multi commercial.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

My previous airline managed to get someone not only hired, not only through training, by golly not only just through IOE, but actually making it TO THE LINE before realizing he didn't have a single engine commercial, just a multi commercial.

That one seems more understandable

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

That doesn't sound awesome, but I suppose even the conservative areas of Alberta are pretty liberal compared to that nonsense.

Even our quite-conservative boss regularly calls Donald Trump a loving idiot, and there's a few instructors (myself included) refusing to do cross-border flights at this point because honestly who wants to deal with US customs at this point?
Fly over the border just once and smuggle me back thx.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Any hot tips on not being one of Those People? Other than "have a sense of self-reflection"

PT6A covered it well, but I'd add just to know your limit and don't push it. When time-building solo, I wouldn't go if it was above 15 knots sustained and/or about an 8-9 knot crosswind. It was likely to be both uncomfortable and unfun.

I agree with the honest self-reflection/assessment part, too. I hadn't "formally" flown instrument in a few years before I did my IPC in our Redbird. We did three approaches and I graded myself based on the 0-3 scale my instructors graded me on (the VOR was a 3, the ILS was a 2 because it started fine, got a bit off-kilter, but I got it back with time to spare before MDA and landed, and the GPS was a 3).

azflyboy posted:

And here I was thinking some of the training stories I've heard were bad. :wtc:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pretty sure that it was in "Fate is the hunter" the author talked about a guy who successfully frauded his way into a pilot job on a commercial airliner and it was years before people caught on that the guy didn't have a license.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Has pay gotten better at regionals on average with the pilot shortage? I got a few years before I can join one but I’m definitely not looking forward to a pay decrease.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Has pay gotten better at regionals on average with the pilot shortage? I got a few years before I can join one but I’m definitely not looking forward to a pay decrease.

Drastically. Magically, once the pilot shortage hit, they found that they could indeed find a way to pay their pilots more and remain profitable. Who knew?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It's worth pointing out that a lot of the increase in starting pay at regionals is various bonuses that can and will go away the next time the economy has a little hiccup and the airline industry shits the bed again.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Literally just talked to a Mesa captain who has been on the property for 3 years. Mind boggling

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So when I read that your guaranteed a certain amount of flight time a month, is more possible? With that plus things like per diem etc, it’s hard for me to get a grasp on just how much you actually make year one as an FO.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

So when I read that your guaranteed a certain amount of flight time a month, is more possible? With that plus things like per diem etc, it’s hard for me to get a grasp on just how much you actually make year one as an FO.

Yes however, you're going to start anywhere on reserve. Meaning you will make guarantee (plus per diem *IF* and *WHEN* you fly) until you can hold a line. Then, depending on the company, its staffing, etc you could bid for a line with more credit (pay) than the minimum (most will schedule AT LEAST min guarantee (no free money)).

As was mentioned above, shoot for a company that has movement and not a bonus program. Go somewhere that if/when the music stops, you'll be comfortable. I was stuck at my regional for almost 8 years, I wish someone had given me this advice then.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 20, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can't you go straight to a mainline from the military or was that a very brief thing?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Can't you go straight to a mainline from the military or was that a very brief thing?

It depends on how many Air Force or Navy buddies you have inside your airlines of choice.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

I was hired at my current airline in March of 2011. Due to bonuses some of our current new hires make more by noon on their first day than I did my entire first year.

Bob A Feet posted:

It varies by airline to airline but here is how mine works:

You are paid the greater of what you actually fly, what your months schedule was originally worth, or the company guaranteed minimum.

-Example A. You're on reserve, you only fly 40 hours that month, you have no set schedule, and your company guaranteed minimum is 75 hours. You would get paid for 75 hours, even though you only flew 40.

-Example B. You are scheduled to fly 78 hours that month. Due to a cancellation you lose 2 hours of flying. your company guaranteed minimum is 72 hours. You would get paid for 78 hours because that's what your line was originally worth.

-Example C. You are scheduled to fly 70 hours that month. You actually fly 71. Your company guaranteed minimum is 72 hours. You get paid the 72 hour minimum.

Any extra you choose to do gets added to the number from above. Any time that you lose do to your own choice, dropping the trip, calling in sick without enough time to cover it, ect gets deducted from the numbers above. Perdiem is tax free and is paid every hour from when you start a trip until you finish. Of course this is just how my airline does it and it varies wildly from airline to airline.

TL;DR. Multiply your hourly rate by 1,000 and that's roughly your annual take home pay.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

TL;DR. Multiply your hourly rate by 1,000 and that's roughly your annual take home pay.

Thank you! That’s kinda what I’m looking for because I’m bad at math.

A lot of military pilots can go direct to a major. Think almost any AF or Navy jet/transport pilot. USMC is kind of a bastard child because we fly hilariously low hours and it’s mostly all rotary wing or tilt rotor. I’m a tilt rotor guy so my hours are technically powered lift, but that’s rumored to change soon. I’ve been flying an Osprey for exactly four years this week and I have about 680 hours in it, 880 total time (w/ about 80 single engine turbine, 30 single engine helicopter, 90 multi engine turbine). I have about 250 PIC hours in the Osprey.

So, relative to almost every aviation industry or military branch out there, I don’t fly a ton. I do have 3.5 years left on my contract and I have a lot of quals, so I will fly more and more as the years go on.

I’m facing the fact that I will have to go a regional or (what I’m heavily considering) join an air national guard squadron. Fly tankers or C-17s or something cool like that for a few years, then try at a major. Maybe. I still have a lot of time to decide. About half my friends that are getting our are going to regionals to get into seniority as quickly as possible. The other half are going to ANG squadrons.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

A large part of it is seniority. If you're only going to do this for 10 years you're quality of life will be a lot better at a regional where you'll be able to hold your base/schedule of choice. Pay isn't everything, especially if you already have a full military retirement. Making an extra $30k for a few years sounds nice but if the cost is not getting to watch your kids grow up because you're flying redeyes out of a base on the other side of the country it's not worth it for most people.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

Thank you! That’s kinda what I’m looking for because I’m bad at math.

A lot of military pilots can go direct to a major. Think almost any AF or Navy jet/transport pilot. USMC is kind of a bastard child because we fly hilariously low hours and it’s mostly all rotary wing or tilt rotor. I’m a tilt rotor guy so my hours are technically powered lift, but that’s rumored to change soon. I’ve been flying an Osprey for exactly four years this week and I have about 680 hours in it, 880 total time (w/ about 80 single engine turbine, 30 single engine helicopter, 90 multi engine turbine). I have about 250 PIC hours in the Osprey.

So, relative to almost every aviation industry or military branch out there, I don’t fly a ton. I do have 3.5 years left on my contract and I have a lot of quals, so I will fly more and more as the years go on.

I’m facing the fact that I will have to go a regional or (what I’m heavily considering) join an air national guard squadron. Fly tankers or C-17s or something cool like that for a few years, then try at a major. Maybe. I still have a lot of time to decide. About half my friends that are getting our are going to regionals to get into seniority as quickly as possible. The other half are going to ANG squadrons.

Not quite sure it would help in your case, but some regionals are launching rotor transition options for helicopter guys to fly fixed-wing. Streaky Blue Airline whose current name is derived from a former California-based airline (are we still doing that itt with company names?) has one right now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone have access to the NBAA 2018 corporate pay survey?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I’ve finally found a CFII with a compatible schedule, and really starting to think about how to get cranking on my time building.

I’d be happy to hear any tricks or advice on the most efficient way to get to 250 hours. I’m joining a flying club at my local airport and know I should be looking for other pilots to split costs and do the safety pilot thing, any good resources for finding people?

Is there anything else I can be doing at this phase in my flying career that would help me down the road?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Reztes posted:

I’d be happy to hear any tricks or advice on the most efficient way to get to 250 hours. I’m joining a flying club at my local airport and know I should be looking for other pilots to split costs and do the safety pilot thing, any good resources for finding people?

Large flying club + safety piloting for every aircraft owner I could find at my local field got me from 80 to 250 in ~9 months.

Just treat it like a part time job to safety pilot for drat near anyone. Tell everyone you meet you're happy to safety pilot anytime. Make it your mission to get 20 hours a month in the book.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks. 20-30 hours per month is definitely my goal, trying to keep up flying at least 3 days per week. I’ll just start really whoring myself out for safety pilot flights.

Luckily I have a new job with a boss who understands this is my passion and my primary focus right now so I have some freedom.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Do we have anybody at United?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Do we have anybody at United?

Got friends there what do you want to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I guess I should update the OP, can't believe it's been so long. I have since gotten out of the military, and now fly for the legacies... so if any of the mil guys have questions on that transition, happy to help. Currently fly the 737.