Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

Edit--Oh, gently caress me, my demo is aging, and it won't be long until Funhaus' sponsors are adult diapers and reverse mortgages.
I signed up for that Google-run survey thing that gives you Play Store credits for answering surveys. I'm getting way fewer surveys than I used to do with a similar program some years back, and I realized: I've aged out of a desirable demo! :qq:

But my demo is one with money, so I expect the surveys will start trickling in. They won't be nearly as fun as they used to be, though (see above re: adult diapers and reverse mortgages).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I want to say I have a couple NatGeos sitting around from the very early 70s that have similar ads for sugar aimed at younger adult women. So why in the world did sugar need advertising? And why are we more willing to dunk on the stereotype of the fat, uncultured American 50 years later than question the impact of this marketing?
Saccharin was gaining popularity among dieters right about then (Tab was introduced in 1963), which must have made the sugar board panic. "But you need calories, you guys! And sugar has the calories you need!"

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Meatcerio

I want to say I have a couple NatGeos sitting around from the very early 70s that have similar ads for sugar aimed at younger adult women. So why in the world did sugar need advertising? And why are we more willing to dunk on the stereotype of the fat, uncultured American 50 years later than question the impact of this marketing?
In the 50s-70s young women were using the other white powder full of energy.

Ok the white powder part is mostly a joke cause coke was still fairly pricey and for those who made it but the women were all on diet aids full of speed so it really did sometimes work to be mentioning you know maybe you should still eat something while you are flying around the house vacuuming while grinding your teeth.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

So why in the world did sugar need advertising?

Considering the ad specifically calls out synthetic sweeteners, it's probably safe to assume that their existence is what prompted sugar to need advertising.

Edit: also yes, it was very trendy to prescribe women amphetamines as diet aids for a while there, so a lot of women probably were struggling with dizziness and fainting.

HazCat has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Sep 9, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Plus, how much did people, much less consumers, really know about things like insulin resistance back then?

I'm sure dentists knew sugary foods caused tooth decay. Though I suppose more cavities=more dentist appointments to treat them so they wouldn't be opposed to lots of sugar consumption if it affected their bottom line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you just ate a spoonful of sugar it probably wouldnt do too much to your teeth versus the aspic horrors that were still served in that era.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Queen Combat posted:

I get all my snacks from Nature Box to munch on between meals that I cooked myself with Blue Apron. I sleep on a Casper mattress with Boll & Branch sheets, have a living will from LegalZoom, wear MeUndies exclusively, and listen to my free monthly audiobook from Audible to fall asleep. When I wake up, I blog about my dreams (and investments with Betterment) on a website designed with SquareSpace, but powered by WordPress. I shave using alternating razors from Harry's and DollarShaveClub.

Those ads were so annoying I stopped listening to The Adventure Zone and My Brother, My Brother, And Me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Those ads were so annoying I stopped listening to The Adventure Zone and My Brother, My Brother, And Me.

Over the past eight months I've listened to MBMBAM from episode 1 to 312 (as of today). Over the past hundred episodes (more or less) it's gotten fairly obnoxious. I know they've gotta pay the bills, but it increasingly feels like a significant chunk of the show is lost to failed attempts to engage me with brands I don't give a poo poo about and other podcasts I will never listen to. The thing that makes it really glaring is that the Extreme Restraints ads were so good that I actually looked forward to them when they were sponsoring the show, so there's a pretty clear picture of how engaging that stuff can be when it goes well.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
My podcast player has a 30 second skip feature by hitting the play button twice, and they keep the ads to 30 second chunk increments. So, you hear "the money zone" and just hit the button a few times :shrug:

Even great podcasts like 99pi have ads.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I guess the problem is that with MBMBAM there's actually a really good bit that appears out of the sponsored stuff about one time out of five and it's juuuuust often enough that I'll listen anyway. Which I guess makes them effective advertisers. Anyway, I've gotten hundreds of hours of free entertainment from it so I'm not super cranky about it. It's just mildly irritating, like "I guess now instead of actively listening to this I'll just tune it out until something happens".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Barudak posted:

If you just ate a spoonful of sugar it probably wouldnt do too much to your teeth versus the aspic horrors that were still served in that era.

A spoonful of sugar also helps aspic horrors go down

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's sorta interesting that it's the exact same companies advertising across podcasts. It's sort of interesting that only like 10 or so companies actually use podcasts as a marketing medium.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If I ever hear Griffin McElroy say "big island pineapple" or "chocolate coconut num-nums" or "Blue Apron taught me to cook!" one more time I will hunt him down and claim his skull as a trophy.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The only good application I've seen for those podcast/Youtuber ads I've seen is from Dan Bell.
At least he has some fun with the products there.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
"Say you're a guy..."

(only 90s kids Dollop listeners will get this)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I was really, really into the Dollop for maybe six months, and chewed through a few hundred episodes. Think I hit exhaustion with it, though, because since about mid last year they take an honest 25 minutes to get into the actual story sometimes, and the ad spots are of uneven length (sometimes going into 10-15 minute territory when they're also advertising live shows). 1:45 of Dollop became only 0:55 of content, and that's unacceptable.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

GrandpaPants posted:

It's sorta interesting that it's the exact same companies advertising across podcasts. It's sort of interesting that only like 10 or so companies actually use podcasts as a marketing medium.

Podcasts are a really small market and are almost useless for harvesting user data so the medium doesn't really have any appeal to companies unless they (1) already know they'll get a decent return on investment and (2) can't afford anything better.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Pyroclastic posted:

Edit--Oh, gently caress me, my demo is aging, and it won't be long until Funhaus' sponsors are adult diapers and reverse mortgages.

As a person who watches Funhaus, and who skips any ads that get put into their shows, I found it really off-putting when they got really defensive about Hims. I had no idea what the problem was at first having never heard a Hims ad at that point, so I actually listened to the ad where they addressed the complaints that they had gotten from the viewers. The only thing they had to say as a rebuttal is that they had talked to the Doctor that worked for Hims, which seems kinda like it missed the point of the complaints.

I get that Youtube shows, especially ones aimed at an older audience, need to make money some way after monetized videos became such a shitshow, but it really came off as kinda skeevy.

The only thing for me though is that I never listen to ads in the first place, so in the long run it doesn't affect me at all, but for people who legitimately felt like it was wrong of them to advertise it, they really kinda handled it badly.

What it really reminds me of is the old Enzyte(sp?) commercials. "This is Bob..." Those commercials made watching Spike TV completely unbearable.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Queen Combat posted:

I was really, really into the Dollop for maybe six months, and chewed through a few hundred episodes. Think I hit exhaustion with it, though, because since about mid last year they take an honest 25 minutes to get into the actual story sometimes, and the ad spots are of uneven length (sometimes going into 10-15 minute territory when they're also advertising live shows). 1:45 of Dollop became only 0:55 of content, and that's unacceptable.

The Dollop mooshes all of their ads and plugs into the first few minutes. It's really not that hard to skip it. The "If you're a guy" part is usually pretty funny. Podcast ads are annoying but so, so easy to skip. If you gave up on the dollop because of ads, what is it that's acceptable to you?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Queen Combat posted:

1:45 of Dollop became only 0:55 of content,

I get ads. I listen to MBMBaM, TAZ, Wonderful, 99pi, JJH, B&DN, The Memory Palace, The Allusionist, LPotL, Criminal, Radiolab, WTNV, OH NO, PTG, You Must Remember This, Stuff You Missed in History, Our Fake History, Rumor Files, Crimetown, Reply All, Sawbones, My Favorite Murder, and a few others. It's the 20 minute slog to get into some dollop episodes, though. That's either pushing the "30 second skip" button 40 times, or pulling out my phone/going back to my phone (when doing housework or car work or driving) during a playlist. Not worth it when I have so much other, good, courteous content. And I know it's not all ads with TD, but eh at least with MBMBAM they're talking within the first 2 minutes versus half-heartedly hawking their live show dates for 12. And on all the rest of the podcasts, the ad blocks are 2 minutes or less (except for 99pi but they space theirs between segments and it never exceeds 4).

Plus they just don't really seem to be into it anymore.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Why the hate for The Dollop? It's an hour or so of fun content for free every week. And it's a podcast! I have the 30 second skip button too. Mash that a few times until you hear the date and you're home. Missed the beginning? Mash the button back once!

I listen to a shitload of podcasts. Some of them mix the advertising into the content well. Some, not so much. Those are easy to skip past. I've never given up on something I like to listen to because of ads. Anyone who remembers sitting through 20 minutes of annoying as gently caress broadcast radio poo poo waiting for Howard or O&A to come back on might appreciate how easy it is to have fun stuff to listen to.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Queen Combat posted:

I listen to MBMBaM, TAZ, Wonderful, 99pi, JJH, B&DN, The Memory Palace, The Allusionist, LPotL, Criminal, Radiolab, WTNV, OH NO, PTG, You Must Remember This, Stuff You Missed in History, Our Fake History, Rumor Files, Crimetown, Reply All, Sawbones, My Favorite Murder, and a few others.

That's 22 podcasts + "and a few others". Am i misunderstanding or are you listening to a full day of content every week?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't think I've ever heard The Dollop go beyond 10 minutes of ads and chit-chat before getting to the point. I often use that time to get a snack ready or something and sometimes they're already to the story before I'm done. My Favorite Murder is the one I gave up on for too much yakking.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Plastik posted:

That's 22 podcasts + "and a few others". Am i misunderstanding or are you listening to a full day of content every week?

This doesn't seem unreasonable if you're the sort to have podcasts on in the background while you're doing other things?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Plastik posted:

I'm caught up on most, and a bunch of them update really irregularly (once a month, or even less frequently). Plus, a few like Reply All and Crimetown have seasons with multi-month breaks between. Right now it's about 5-8 hours of stuff a week. An hour each day I go out on the bike (3-6 times a week), plus around the home. I live in an apartment in a noisy area, so I've got headphones on pretty much 100% of the time, either with Netflix or Podcasts or background ambient or white noise when reading. Podcasts like The Memory Palace and Wonderful are really short episodes, too (TMP is like 10 minutes sometimes), while My Favorite Murder or You Must Remember This regularly break an hour.

I also use the "skip blank space" feature on Podcast Addict, and it says it's saved me more than 200 hours of blank space in the year I've been using it. It doesn't completely eliminate gaps, just shortens gaps longer tha a few seconds to half a second or so, like gaps between segments or at the beginning and end. For ahile I was listening at 1.2x speed but that got hectic with TAZ and kind of killed the mood with Wonderful, so I think the blank space skip is a nice compromise.

I think 10 hours of entertainment a week isn't a crazy amount, especially when you consume it usually while the hands are busy. I also don't hate The Dollop, it's just a combination of their lack of enthusiasm versus two years ago and the ad things. I'm still subscribed but will only really listen if I'm hankering for content.

E: right now it says I'm 38 episodes behind on the dollop, oldest is 11 months old. I've listened to a few of the latest ones but it's just so meh sometimes. And there was a streak where Dave was clearly drunk for a few, but it wasn't funny like other drunk dollops. Just...yeesh. I've also dropped MFM from the rotation a few times from chatting burnout, but they always seem to bring the enthusiasm back when I inevitably give them another go three months later. The sweet, sweet McElroy brothers have so much wholesome enthusiasm and play with language so well that they've kind of become my new standard when I need a pick-me-up. I even saw a Dollop live show last year and the McElroy Phoenix show I saw in April blew it out of the water.

I will admit that last year was a bad year for me, personally, so I spent an inordinate amount of time "doing things" to distract myself, while also listening to podcasts. I felt like I was wasting time if I wasn't always multitasking in some way. It's better now.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Sep 10, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
You're clearly an elite user. Podcasts aren't for you. You might want to start listening to qwadcasts. Those have like 8 guys talking at once and they never have ads. No gaps or silence. Just endless jabbering.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't throwing shade or anything, I just assumed they were all hour-a-week affairs on average and that you were listening to, on average, 20 hours of podcasts a week. If anything I was kind of impressed.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah it's all good I kind of poo poo up the thread anyway and didn't think anything of it. I'll stop now.

There were deffo periods where I hit 40+ hours, just like FFVII in middle school.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Sep 10, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
You're good. I get it. I listen to whatever. Even if some of them aren't quite what they were once. I need something to listen to for 8 hours a day while I work. I'd go mad without. Podcast ads are annoying as gently caress but I try not to let them sully the content for me. Do what I do and skip them and just enjoy. I go back and listen to old episodes of stuff I like alot. I don't like being sold underpants, boner pills or razors. I just tell myself that the guys I like listening to gotta make a living.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got recommended The Dollop and stopped after realising that the unfunny skit I'd been enduring for ten minutes at the start of the show was an ad. At the very least it's off-putting to new listeners.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Plastik posted:

I wasn't throwing shade or anything, I just assumed they were all hour-a-week affairs on average and that you were listening to, on average, 20 hours of podcasts a week. If anything I was kind of impressed.

When I was on second shift I was allowed to put my headphones out at 5pm when dayshift left and listen to things until 11 when I left. I got through so many books and podcasts that way it was nuts.

Then I hit first shift where we sit in an office with no music because "music is distracting and nobody will do their jobs"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I cannot afford brooklinen, but I am now aware of their existence.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

As a person who watches Funhaus, and who skips any ads that get put into their shows, I found it really off-putting when they got really defensive about Hims. I had no idea what the problem was at first having never heard a Hims ad at that point, so I actually listened to the ad where they addressed the complaints that they had gotten from the viewers. The only thing they had to say as a rebuttal is that they had talked to the Doctor that worked for Hims, which seems kinda like it missed the point of the complaints.

I get that Youtube shows, especially ones aimed at an older audience, need to make money some way after monetized videos became such a shitshow, but it really came off as kinda skeevy.

The only thing for me though is that I never listen to ads in the first place, so in the long run it doesn't affect me at all, but for people who legitimately felt like it was wrong of them to advertise it, they really kinda handled it badly.

What it really reminds me of is the old Enzyte(sp?) commercials. "This is Bob..." Those commercials made watching Spike TV completely unbearable.

I assume that they had a big negative response. A lot of podcasters may be seen as advocating the use of a product, not just shilling for it. The ad copy frequently has then mention using the product and how they get compliments about it or how great the product is.
It's one thing when they're mattresses or underwear or watches or inexpensive glasses. It's another thing when it's an actual medical product that requires a prescription. And their listeners clearly had a problem with that.
It probably pays really well for certain demographics, and FH (or just Lawrence) decided Hims needed white knighting (or maybe they required it if the comments got too negative).
I'd much rather hear alternating ads for MeUndies and Mac Weldon than any more Hims poo poo. At least their editors make amusing Photoshop montages for other sponsors.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I used to listen to Bill Burr's podcast and it's the only time I didn't skip ads. "I'm wearing my MeUndies right now! No I'm not, don't ask me to lie; they did send me a pair though, and they're alright." "Please read the following statements. Well of course I'm gonna read them, if you fuckin put them there, I'll read them!" Sometimes he'd get really mad at stupid ad copy and you'd never hear ads from those people again.
Podcast ads all being the same companies really contributes to advertising fatigue, though. It's like how when you're at your parents' place and they still have broadcast tv, and you see the same commercial 10 times an hour. Does not make me want to buy that product.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mission to ZYXX brings the ad copy in world, so rebel pilots stranded on asteroids tell you about their comfy underwear. It’s so well done I never skip it and actually enjoy the ads. Unlike HDTGM where Paul’s ads are over long as he cannot be brief and they ring so false I have to skip them.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

As an old fart who doesn't do podcasts because her phone runs on coal, and still listens to NPR/Coast to Coast on the actual radio: this chat about podcast adverts is fascinating. Not sarcastic! I used to want to get a job in ads/marketing when I was a teen in the late 80's, and it's crazy how things have changed since I took a few college classes in that field over 20 years ago.
I don't have a loving clue what half of y'all are talking about, but since I'm older than dirt and still listen to radio, I'm guessing it's the equivalent of hearing George Noory talking about how I should invest in gold, or the loving Pajama Gram ads on Npr. Am I right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The ads they sell on podcasts are bizarre. It's services like Squarespace (build your website without knowing html), subscription services to supposedly healthy snacks, and a subscription service for shaving blades. I think it's clear the demographic is ~25-30 year old male programmer that never leaves work or home.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Along these lines, Honest Trailers endorsing the US army weirded me out to a rather fierce degree. Took a lot of bite out of their snipes towards cash grabbing industries, at the very least. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As an old fart who doesn't do podcasts because her phone runs on coal, and still listens to NPR/Coast to Coast on the actual radio: this chat about podcast adverts is fascinating. Not sarcastic! I used to want to get a job in ads/marketing when I was a teen in the late 80's, and it's crazy how things have changed since I took a few college classes in that field over 20 years ago.
I don't have a loving clue what half of y'all are talking about, but since I'm older than dirt and still listen to radio, I'm guessing it's the equivalent of hearing George Noory talking about how I should invest in gold, or the loving Pajama Gram ads on Npr. Am I right?

Maybe? The NoSleep Podcast posts theirs online here so you can listen to how they do theirs. I fast forward through the first few minutes since the show notes are kind enough to give the approximate times the story starts.

Which is good because the host is just bad. He's trying to be the crypt keeper but it's just bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Safeword posted:

Along these lines, Honest Trailers endorsing the US army weirded me out to a rather fierce degree. Took a lot of bite out of their snipes towards cash grabbing industries, at the very least. :v:

You mean the US Army endorsed Honest Trailers. But I don't blame the guys for taking the money. Take the drat money because Youtube pays poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Back before TAZ turned into the podcast equivalent of FMVs with no actual gaming -- seriously, the clever game-breaking rules-lawyery bullshit that facilitates the story is better than "McElroy Special Tumblrina makes poo poo up on the fly" because it's more than just random make-believe -- I would have put down actual money for a no-ads version of the podcast.

Not now, though. Not worth my time or money.