Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you are offended by someone calling you a cracker, there is no hope for you, and you should check yourself into a facility for the terminally fragile and mentally enfeebled at your earliest convenience because you'll never be anything more than a horrible burden to decent society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Albino Squirrel posted:

I will say it was a bad idea of Angus to use the word 'cracker', because it allows people to clutch their pearls over Angus' Horrible Racism! against people that Look Like Me!!, and allows them to ignore the very real issues with underfunding of First Nations education. In this case, the school in Kashechewan is in such poor condition it had to be closed for students' safety, and there's no alternate accommodation for all 400 students.

In a broader sense, I'm continually disappointed (but not shocked) by otherwise sane-appearing people who complain about how FN people don't take advantage of free university tuition, while completely ignoring the often insurmountable challenges involved in making it to university in the first place.

The way people come down on that issue isn't going to turn on the ironic use of the term 'cracker'.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The court will decide tomorrow (sometime in the afternoon) if Doug Ford can legally gently caress up Toronto's election.

If the court rules against him will he get another chance at this in his first term?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crackers stay salty

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I think if the ndp is going to be a rump party it should at least be one that causes people who are concerned about reverse racism to identify themselves. They will find a way to ignore or rationalize nonwhite peoples suffering regardless of how hard you try to accommodate their fragility

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 10, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ego-bot posted:

The court will decide tomorrow (sometime in the afternoon) if Doug Ford can legally gently caress up Toronto's election.

If the court rules against him will he get another chance at this in his first term?

They've (the province) already said they will appeal, so it's going to be a clusterfuck regardless.

Depending on the reasoning for the decision (assuming Bill 5 is struck down) it could just be as simple as passing the bill again but for the 2022 election.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Albino Squirrel posted:

In a broader sense, I'm continually disappointed (but not shocked) by otherwise sane-appearing people who complain about how FN people don't take advantage of free university tuition, while completely ignoring the often insurmountable challenges involved in making it to university in the first place.

As far as I know (and it's been a while since I talked to anybody about it) there is no automatic free post-secondary for FN students. The impression I got is that there are two systems for post secondary: one for students who live on-reserve and one for students who do not live on-reserve as well as Metis students.

For on-reserve students the funding is given from the federal government to the band to distribute. That would be fine if there was enough money for every student, but as with any other government program for FN people, it's woefully underfunded. That leaves the bands in a delicate situation where they have to determine who they want to give the money to. Do you send one student to university all expenses paid or do you send two students to trade school? Do you send more students but expect them to pay a lot of their own expenses or do you top off the federal funding with the band's money (only an option for a few bands)? It's a bad system and it can cause issues inside the band (One guy I met in university was the son of a hereditary chief and got full university funding and it caused a few political issues within the band). Funding is also tied to how many people from that band did post-secondary education in the past so it can lead to rough situations where a band experiencing large population growth is completely incapable of sending more than a handful of students.

For other FN students, there is a government program that can be applied to but it's also very under-funded and requires a lengthy application. It can be a great source of funding and will pay for cool and expensive stuff like medical school and post-grad but it can be extremely intimidating and difficult for students in high school applying for the first time. And again the amount of money that the government puts in is not great to begin with and the yearly increases are much smaller than the demographic growth of FN in Canada so it will only continue to get worse.

All this is on top of the systematic issues facing First Nations. Studying for provincial exams is hard enough at the best of times. When you've had a boil water advisory for your entire life and there's ten people living in a two bedroom house full of black mold that gets a little tougher.

Note that this has been gleaned from a few people I went to university or high school with and may be out of date or possibly wrong. There's some broad information on government websites but they don't really go into the nuts and bolts of it. If anybody knows more about the system I would love to hear about it!

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
If Bernier can wish for a whiter Canada and the CPC can hang out with the Rebel, then Charlie Angus can call a fellow white person cracker 👍

Court orders Justice for our Stolen Children camp protesters out of Regina's Wascana Park

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chicken posted:

As far as I know (and it's been a while since I talked to anybody about it) there is no automatic free post-secondary for FN students. The impression I got is that there are two systems for post secondary: one for students who live on-reserve and one for students who do not live on-reserve as well as Metis students.

For on-reserve students the funding is given from the federal government to the band to distribute. That would be fine if there was enough money for every student, but as with any other government program for FN people, it's woefully underfunded. That leaves the bands in a delicate situation where they have to determine who they want to give the money to. Do you send one student to university all expenses paid or do you send two students to trade school? Do you send more students but expect them to pay a lot of their own expenses or do you top off the federal funding with the band's money (only an option for a few bands)? It's a bad system and it can cause issues inside the band (One guy I met in university was the son of a hereditary chief and got full university funding and it caused a few political issues within the band). Funding is also tied to how many people from that band did post-secondary education in the past so it can lead to rough situations where a band experiencing large population growth is completely incapable of sending more than a handful of students.

For other FN students, there is a government program that can be applied to but it's also very under-funded and requires a lengthy application. It can be a great source of funding and will pay for cool and expensive stuff like medical school and post-grad but it can be extremely intimidating and difficult for students in high school applying for the first time. And again the amount of money that the government puts in is not great to begin with and the yearly increases are much smaller than the demographic growth of FN in Canada so it will only continue to get worse.

All this is on top of the systematic issues facing First Nations. Studying for provincial exams is hard enough at the best of times. When you've had a boil water advisory for your entire life and there's ten people living in a two bedroom house full of black mold that gets a little tougher.

Note that this has been gleaned from a few people I went to university or high school with and may be out of date or possibly wrong. There's some broad information on government websites but they don't really go into the nuts and bolts of it. If anybody knows more about the system I would love to hear about it!

No, you are getting most of the important details wrt FN "free" university.

Source: ex-girlfriend that had to go home to the res in Northern Manitoba for 3 years in order to talk the chief into funding her school.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I will say it was a bad idea of Angus to use the word 'cracker', because it allows people to clutch their pearls over Angus' Horrible Racism! against people that Look Like Me!!, and allows them to ignore the very real issues with underfunding of First Nations education. In this case, the school in Kashechewan is in such poor condition it had to be closed for students' safety, and there's no alternate accommodation for all 400 students.

So basically the most charitable explanation is that Angus is using an American racial slur that he doesn't actually understand. (And is apparently joined in his lack of understanding by nearly all of the regular posters in this thread.) What does that tweet do to improve the quality or accessibility of education on reserves?

infernal machines posted:

They've (the province) already said they will appeal, so it's going to be a clusterfuck regardless.

Depending on the reasoning for the decision (assuming Bill 5 is struck down) it could just be as simple as passing the bill again but for the 2022 election.

It's going to be confusing enough if we're suddenly back at 47 wards tomorrow. If there's somehow a successful appeal that drops us back to 25 wards before the election, we are completely hosed in terms of having any semblance of a regular election.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

So basically the most charitable explanation is that Angus is using an American racial slur that he doesn't actually understand. (And is apparently joined in his lack of understanding by nearly all of the regular posters in this thread.) What does that tweet do to improve the quality or accessibility of education on reserves?

Yes, because the 18th century roots of a pejorative are entirely relevant to its use today, congratulations, you've cracked this bigotry wide open.

tagesschau posted:

It's going to be confusing enough if we're suddenly back at 47 wards tomorrow. If there's somehow a successful appeal that drops us back to 25 wards before the election, we are completely hosed in terms of having any semblance of a regular election.

It is a clusterfuck regardless, but if they somehow strike down Bill 5 or stay the implementation, there's no way we're holding the election on October 22nd.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Union defends video identifying 'scabs' at D-J Composites after workers report threats

CBC posted:

A video blasting replacement workers for crossing the picket line at D-J Composites in Gander, N.L., is proving to be a lightning rod for criticism, but the union representing the company's locked-out employees has no plans to take it down.

D-J Composites has twice been found guilty of violating labour laws, and the lockout has been contentious, but two of the replacement workers named in the video say they had no other choice but to accept work.

"What the public don't realize is that we made this choice for a reason. It wasn't to hurt anybody," said worker [A.-M. R.], who has four kids and has been working at D-J Composites for two months now.

"It was to better our families, it was to provide for our families. I was in debt before I took this job [and] I needed a job."

[R.] said seeing her face in the video felt threatening, and added she has already received multiple messages calling her out for being a "scab" in her Facebook inbox.

"I'm constantly looking over my shoulder now if I go anywhere and do anything," she said.

"Everybody can put my face and my name together now, and it scares the crap out of me."

[D. G.] has been with the company since July 2017, and says seeing her face in the video felt violating.

"We've had a lot of messages come in on Facebook from complete strangers, death threats, all across Canada with anything you could think of," she said.

[G.] said she's heard from many of her coworkers that they've faced harassment and received threats since the video was published.

Not really sure what to think. It makes me uneasy to see anyone go after individual people (who are not public figures) like this.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Scabs are always portrayed as being super sympathetic characters, but the fact is they are class traitors who are actively working against their class interest. By working during a strike, they allow the company to lengthen the strike, hurting working class families. They deserve no sympathy, and if their fear results in them quitting, all the better. In a better world it would be illegal to scab.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's always a choice even if the other option results in less personal gain

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Perhaps it's the company/society/capitalism's fault.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I think everyone here knows what cracker means also gently caress scabs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress off tagesschau, you stupid fascist cracker motherfucker, you're not wanted here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

gently caress off tagesschau, you stupid fascist cracker motherfucker, you're not wanted here.

What?

Like, I think tagesschau has some bad takes, but that's probably not called for. FFS, you championed CI.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

PT6A posted:

yeah stop calling him a cracker motherfucker

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

infernal machines posted:

What?

Like, I think tagesschau has some bad takes, but that's probably not called for. FFS, you championed CI.

I think :thejoke:?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jan posted:

I think :thejoke:?

Oh, okay. I don't get the joke, but I'm a little slow, eh?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tagesschau posted:

Union defends video identifying 'scabs' at D-J Composites after workers report threats

Not really sure what to think. It makes me uneasy to see anyone go after individual people (who are not public figures) like this.

"I had to provide for my family" says the scab whose strikebreaking is actively hurting the numerous families of the locked out workers.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

vyelkin posted:

"I had to provide for my family" says the scab whose strikebreaking is actively hurting the numerous families of the locked out workers.

Totally, but is the extrajudicial punishment justified? (Even if you ignore the fact that Unifor is a non-state actor and what the scabs are doing isn't actually illegal.) It would be one thing if the local circulated the names among its members so that they could be shunned locally. It's another thing entirely to post their information online in ways you know are bound to put them on the receiving end of death threats and other harassment from around the world.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Threatening the life of a scab = a crime that should be reported to police.

Calling a scab a scab = accurate labelling, well within the ambit of free speech.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Good news
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1039124231118827521?s=20

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/LaurenPelley/status/1039124091360477184

There is no way 82 stands lol

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

There is no way 82 stands lol

No kidding. That implies that the province can't ever reduce the size of any council. That's obviously wrong.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No it doesn't, it just implies that there is such a thing as an unacceptable ratio of constituents to representatives and that a municipality can't have its council size reduced if it goes above this ratio. This ruling doesn't define what that ratio is and this may come up if Ford keeps pushing for cuts.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tagesschau posted:

No kidding. That implies that the province can't ever reduce the size of any council. That's obviously wrong.

Settle down Beavis that's not what it says. What it says is that cutting the number of Councillors in half, mid election, interferes with effective representation in a way that offends the Charter.

e: f;b

e2:

Astroturf jumped on this the minute it was published lol

I wonder about a couple of the posters in this thread hmmmmmmmm

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 10, 2018

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

No it doesn't, it just implies that there is such a thing as an unacceptable ratio of constituents to representatives and that a municipality can't have its council size reduced if it goes above this ratio. This ruling doesn't define what that ratio is and this may come up if Ford keeps pushing for cuts.

Again, though, that's not true, given that there is no right to have a Toronto city council to begin with.

Reince Penis posted:

Settle down Beavis that's not what it says. What it says is that cutting the number of Councillors in half, mid election, interferes with effective representation in a way that offends the Charter.

Nah. Paragraph 81 is the one that deals with the timing. Paragraph 82's finding that 61,000 per ward is fine, but 111,000 per ward is not, makes no mention of timing. The statement in paragraph 86 that "If the provincial government wishes to enact another Bill 5-type law at some future date to affect future City elections, it may certainly attempt to do so," implies that there's an issue with something other than the timing.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/680NEWS/status/1039137451762216960?s=20

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm happy with the ruling.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

tagesschau posted:

It makes me uneasy as well, but it's the way the wind is blowing. Privacy is dead and you should expect everything you do outside the house to be on the front page of Reddit tomorrow. The legality isn't in question, only the ethics; and since it could happen to anyone, you need to assume it could happen to you.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
CanPol Megathread: [77] Crickets

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

It makes me uneasy as well, but it's the way the wind is blowing. Privacy is dead and you should expect everything you do outside the house to be on the front page of Reddit tomorrow. The legality isn't in question, only the ethics; and since it could happen to anyone, you need to assume it could happen to you.

Cool, relevant things:

https://zoequinn.squarespace.com/crash-override
http://www.jonronson.com/shame.html
https://www.indyweek.com/news/archi...-north-carolina
https://www.businessinsider.com/peter-cvjetanovic-white-supremacist-charlottesville-photo-not-angry-racist-2017-8

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 10, 2018

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

tagesschau posted:

Again, though, that's not true, given that there is no right to have a Toronto city council to begin with.

The Canadian Constitution is a living loving tree that Parliament in its wisdom instructed the Courts to interpret purposively. The purpose of Canadians having enshrined democratic rights would be a joke if a demagogue can upturn an ongoing democratic election mid-campaign without any buy in by the population.

I guarantee that if Ford had campaigned on this lovely plan no court would have dared interfere with it after he won, but he has no mandate because he is a simpering poltroon who thinks 40% of a FPTP makes him a king.

This is an extreme reaction by the court but a necessary one given the global trend of democratic safeguards being eroded.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

Nah. Paragraph 81 is the one that deals with the timing. Paragraph 82's finding that 61,000 per ward is fine, but 111,000 per ward is not, makes no mention of timing. The statement in paragraph 86 that "If the provincial government wishes to enact another Bill 5-type law at some future date to affect future City elections, it may certainly attempt to do so," implies that there's an issue with something other than the timing.

I believe the reasoning was made clear, so long as there is a Toronto city council, as created by the province, that must follow the charter. If they want to abolish city council in a separate act of legislation they can certainly attempt to do so, but as long as it exists, it must do so in accordance with the charter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Living at home sucks when your brother is a backwards rear end in a top hat with a persecution complex. We got a letter poll from noted dumbass Cheryl Gallant in the mail today asking if we thought a gun ban would lower crime rates. Cue my brother going on a rant about how Trudeau is pandering to people and that there isn't a gun problem, because "all guns used in these crimes aren't obtained legally."

When I asked him what he would do to mitigate gun violence, his answer was that there isn't a problem and that we're just projecting American influence where gun violence is a problem. At this point I just shoot my head and said "whatever", so he got pissy at me for not wanting to take the conversation any further, because why bother? He then said that I was just mad that I didn't like his (bullshit, asinine) opinion after I asked him, but why bother trying to argue with someone who thinks anyone who disagrees with him is mad at him? There's no point in trying to change his mind by pointing out that less handguns being sold would translate to fewer people being able to obtain them illegally, because he's made up his mind that there is no problem and that Trudeau is just pandering to win votes.

We live in Renfrew County which has a bad reputation for suicide by gun violence, by the way. Rednecks can gently caress themselves and the sooner I find a new house in Ottawa the better because I can't listen to this poo poo much longer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:hmbol:
https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/1039158060210683904

Oh lordy, this is gonna be grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

wait what please explain

e: after a quick google, gently caress