Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

pokie posted:

Don't build cafes. They are a trap. Some dipshits who are in GP line will get in a cafe line and hold up the entire GP line when it's their turn. It's a death knell for a hospital. Also your dumb staff will got to lovely cafes on their break instead of staff room and regenerate less stamina/happiness. You can make cafes patinet only of course, but that leaves the first problem...

Cafes are definitely a trap for patients, but I think they might be worth it for staff. I was getting a lot of resignation threats as the hospitals were getting bigger until I realized the staff definitely need their own toilets and someplace to eat/drink so they don't have to get in line with the patients. Is the cafe really worse than putting vending machines in the staff rooms?

Also, how are fire extinguishers supposed to work? I'm stuck on the volcano map because my janitors can't figure out how to put out the fires, seems like a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

voting third party posted:

Also, how are fire extinguishers supposed to work? I'm stuck on the volcano map because my janitors can't figure out how to put out the fires, seems like a bug.

For some insane reason, fire extinguishers are single use. Every time one is used, you have to manually place another. On the volcano map, don't even bother because janitors go running for one to put out every. single. flaming. rock. even though they can sweep them up like regular trash.

You just gotta keep an eye out and throw one down if one of your machines catches fire.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cafes are definitely a trap for patients, but I think they might be worth it for staff. I was getting a lot of resignation threats as the hospitals were getting bigger until I realized the staff definitely need their own toilets and someplace to eat/drink so they don't have to get in line with the patients. Is the cafe really worse than putting vending machines in the staff rooms?

I think a staff cafe is worth it as well, I noticed I was getting way higher staff morale by having a cafe next to the break room.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

here's a trick i found after noticing that my prices were really pissing off my patients: dump your diagnosis prices to -80% and enjoy a major happiness boost after every visit, keeping patients calm even when they're doing the GP<->Diagnosis shuffle.

then make up for it by charging +100% on treatments.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yes, I would say cafe is way worse because staff regen their stats very fast in a staff room, and said room is easy to get to prestige 4-5 which is difficult with a cafe. I simply have a small staff room in every building - less walking, more better. You would also need to provision a large amount of space for it and hire a useless assistant to staff it.

Staff toilets is something I played around with, but once you figure out an efficient design (no dryers, 2-wide corridor between stalls) you don't usually need a staff-specific one.

For what it's worth, my experience mostly comes from final map where I had 150 staff, before giant GP room abuse. I don't think optimization matters much for most maps.

Prav posted:

here's a trick i found after noticing that my prices were really pissing off my patients: dump your diagnosis prices to -80% and enjoy a major happiness boost after every visit, keeping patients calm even when they're doing the GP<->Diagnosis shuffle.

then make up for it by charging +100% on treatments.

Very cool! I was wondering if individual price controls were good for anything, and it seems like you figured it out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mind posting a screenshot of you final map layout? I'm curious.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

Just finished all 45 stars.

Last level had 57 staff. (26/12/7/12)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Skippy McPants posted:

I gave up on doing it without using giant GP rooms after losing 4 times. Here's the GP abuse one.

The common theme with the post above is that you gotta keep your hospital small. it's easier to control queues this way.

E: 34 staff (13, 11, 4, 6).

pokie fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 10, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Game is fun but a slider to change the send to treatment to like 97% instead of 100% would be pretty nice.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mazz posted:

Game is fun but a slider to change the send to treatment to like 97% instead of 100% would be pretty nice.

It appears anything over 90% will get sent for treatment, not further diagnosis. I just went and looked for an example in my hospital.

This patient went into the GP with diagnosis progress around 50%. After the GP visit, they went up to 94% and are proceeding to treatment.

I can find patients going for treatment at 90% and higher, but none lower.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sometimes you just have to clear your GP queues

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

pokie posted:

Sometimes you just have to clear your GP queues

I did this to 150 patients on the public health one, felt good.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Does marketing for staff do anything? I'm in the surgery hospital, I'd like to get some, y'know, surgeons, that'd be great. Or failing that give me blank staff I can mould. Mitton has so far been the best level just for that.

e: I wish you could do stuff like flag desired skills, level etc, to get a higher chance of something popping up, or to notify you when a candidate with that does pop up. Right now I'm obsessively checking new candidates and it's not interesting at all.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 10, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

less than three posted:

It appears anything over 90% will get sent for treatment, not further diagnosis. I just went and looked for an example in my hospital.

This patient went into the GP with diagnosis progress around 50%. After the GP visit, they went up to 94% and are proceeding to treatment.

I can find patients going for treatment at 90% and higher, but none lower.

I feel like all the ones who get stuck in the queue do so at like 99% and just keep cycling for the last 1%. I haven’t look that close though, only been playing for a day or so.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Knobb Manwich posted:

Does marketing for staff do anything? I'm in the surgery hospital, I'd like to get some, y'know, surgeons, that'd be great. Or failing that give me blank staff I can mould. Mitton has so far been the best level just for that.

e: I wish you could do stuff like flag desired skills, level etc, to get a higher chance of something popping up, or to notify you when a candidate with that does pop up. Right now I'm obsessively checking new candidates and it's not interesting at all.

I'm not sure, because I tried the flat 'Doctor' marketing and didn't notice a useful change out of the staff hiring. There is marketing for specialities like surgeons or geneticists so I imagine that works as intended.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The problem with marketing for staff is I think it only increases the chance of you getting someone with that skill in the next applicant, which just don't come fast enough to be worth it. If it was a higher chance of getting someone with multiple ranks in the skill you want then I might consider doing it but it's just way easier to get a L1 person and train them, it'll cost less and be faster.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i just wish it was easier to hire someone with no qualifications.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Prav posted:

i just wish it was easier to hire someone with no qualifications.

All that stuff you learned in medical school? Forget all that, you won't be needing that here

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All that stuff you learned in medical school? Forget all that, you won't be needing that here

"Bedside manner? How do I put this... could you be more of a dick?"

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

all my class rooms are now anatomy dummy storage closets, they just conveniently have three desks and a projector

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Look I know we're a prestigious hospital known for its surgical prowess but I need doctors absolutely focused on the work, not these consultants who dabble in everything!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I know you trained to have a wide range of skills to make you more employable, but I need someone who's done and learned nothing but psychiatry for the last 15 years.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To be honest the skills system says that the higher level of education you get the less likely you are going to develop any form of people skills or efficiency which is very close to real life.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
You know, the more I play this game the more I think it kinda sucks.

Like, there's no real game element. You basically can't lose, and hitting win conditions is ridiculously simple. Even, like, Tropico or Banished will serve you a coupla game overs before you hit the winning routine, whereas 2 Point seems content to let you slaughter people wholesale and wallow in debt to a ridiculous degree. And the fun of making a nice little sandboxy hospital and watching it tick over is kinda ruined by the insane A.I turning every Nice Thing into a brawling mass of lemmings.

A shame, cause the presentation is awesome and the music is spectacular, but as a game it's basically a quarter-step above a mobile phone idle game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

To be fair, once you got established in Theme Hospital it was also nearly impossible to fail. Ditto with the later games of Tropico and I can only speak for myself but I never game overed in Banished.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

To be fair, once you got established in Theme Hospital it was also nearly impossible to fail. Ditto with the later games of Tropico and I can only speak for myself but I never game overed in Banished.

Two Point is like Banished in the sense that as long as you are paying attention it is fairly easy, but if you ignore things too much (whoops you ran out of tools in banished) everything can go to hell in a handbasket, especially for the later hospitals.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I spent a bunch of time on Smogley once I finally got my hospital profitable and self-sustaining to research everything I could and now going into the Power Plant level I have all the level 3 upgrades up to this point researched. It feels good turning a hospital into a profit machine after spending the first few sessions struggling to stay in the black. Once everyone gets trained up and you get enough rooms to treat everyone things really blow up. Having a bunch of Surgery rooms helps too considering you get 20k per treatment.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I remember when playing Theme Hospital when I was young, my hospitals tended to overflow in puke and endless queues of dying people, playing on Easy. When I picked it up again 10 years later I couldn't replicate those conditions at all and basically sailed through. The difference was probably that I discovered the winning strategy of "just spam GP's offices and fill them with consultants" at some point.

I need to play some more TPH.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've been going back to 3-star some earlier levels because the 4th area is kicking my rear end and it's nice just researching a load of upgrades so I'll have them when I go back to push forwards.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Theme hospital was honestly really easy. I played it again three or four years ago and breezed right through it. TPH is more challenging so far but I wonder how much of that is the annoyances with queues making things more difficult through unavoidable stuff.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a game doesn't need a loss condition to have challenge. sure you probably won't tank your hospital so bad that it's a game over, but actually hitting those 90% cure rate targets can take some figuring out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For me, once I learned that the game is capable of being broken with the GP office trick, I lost interest. The fact that the game is broken so easily makes it seem pretty shallow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's always one of those tricks in these kinds of games though, shuttle loops are notorious in Rollercoaster Tycoon for completely breaking the game's balance in the same way. It's just the nature of the genre.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What does increasing a room's prestige actually do, mechanically?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ninjewtsu posted:

I think it keeps the worker happier while inside that room.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Money saving tip and rear end in a top hat move. If you want to train someone in something low level or one off like Genetics, wait until there's someone in the Queue with the skill and hire them to do the training even if their other skills are a mess. Then just fire the useless fucker.

Saves a huge amount of money if you're cash strapped.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

ninjewtsu posted:

Room prestige influences happiness a bunch, they get a modifier in very nice rooms that completely offsets most unhappiness modifiers. I have staff morale of like 92% across the first 4 hospitals just throwing awards on every wall. Happy doctors/nurses have a positive modifiers to their skills up to +10%.

A 3x4 or 3x5 prestige 5 GP office with 15 medicine cabinets is something like 25k exactly, so it’s not too crazy. I try not to overdo the cabinets past that point in my games though.

Also high prestige rooms boost your hospital level a good amount early on so you have to be careful you don’t flood yourself with patients. I tend to figure out my priorities in a level before going crazy on decoration.

The gold star awards are far and away the best wall deco I’ve found. I’ll generally mix in posters though so it doesn’t look too stupid. Some of the treatment rooms are so barren though you really have no choice but to cover the walls in gold stars, which kind of sucks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 10, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

just hide those stupid awards behind a bookcase. you can fit like four if it's in a corner

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Prav posted:

just hide those stupid awards behind a bookcase. you can fit like four if it's in a corner

That’s more or less my go to, but some of the treatment rooms like the pan magnet thing there doesn’t seem to be a ton of deco options to hide with. Then again I think when placing items in a room you arent actually required to keep items in that room so I’ll have to remember to try to break that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

ninjewtsu posted:

Reaching level 4 in a room will double the effectiveness of any %diag/treat item bonuses.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 10, 2018